Are Part III's bad?

Unlucky Bastard

Well, he did mention clone wars in part 4. He did leave the ending open with Darth vader. The empire was still there by the end of the movie. I think Luke is speaking the truth. For example, Sam Jackson's character was not planned 30 years ago.

Moreover, why do you criticize the way he made the films. That is how they were done. It does not change the fact that ANH falls in the middle afterall. I do agree nevertheless that Lucas has a tedency to explain stuff in a secretive way, but i prefer if we would stick to the films and not to how he came up with them, because we are starting to veer off the topic.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Moreover, why do you criticize the way he made the films.

That was not my intent.

I do agree nevertheless that Lucas has a tedency to explain stuff in a secretive way

That's what I was talking about. ;)

yes, it's the uncompleted one, right? I wanted to get it last year, it is quite rare, but i didn't have enough money onme.

I found a bound copy and bought it a few years back. But I think it was last year they actually re-issued it and I think it is now part of the regular series, along with Tintin in the Soviet-Union.

Now we've really gone off topic. ;)

Well let me rephrase that, I got the alpha art last year in paris. They had reissued it, i think, for the 75th birthday. Te one that is also rare tthat i still don't own is Tintin with the Soviets.

And don't worry, when the prequel haters strike back, we'll be back on topic :)

Igor.

What you and seemingly a lot of other "Prequel apologists" do not seem to realize is the:

We all WANTED to like the prquels!

I really did my best to like TPM, i really wanted to see the good in it, but I can't...it just does not measure up.

But OK I thought, Lucas has not directed a film for decades, i'll give him another shot, he's certainly entitled to 1 screw up, since the other films he had directed are worthwhile.

I wanted to LOVE AOTC, it's a slight improvement over TPM in most respects...but it's just not good enough, it does not measure up to the original trilogy.

If we are Prequel bashers, then it is because Lucas made us like that.

jesus, so of you must have George Lucas voodoo dolls in your bedrooms.

No matter what you guys, Star Wars is great because of George Lucas, not in spite of.

Well, he did mention clone wars in part 4. He did leave the ending open with Darth vader. The empire was still there by the end of the movie.

That is my point at saying that ANH is as stand alone as TPM. Both end well, but the bad guys are still there too.

I think Luke is speaking the truth. For example, Sam Jackson's character was not planned 30 years ago.  

Well, that was an unfortunate example.

in early SW scripts, it started 'this is the story of Mace Windu, a Jedi Bendu from....' or something in that style.

And in other respects, it's not.  

----------------

Alex Cremers

Well to me TPM is pretty much a borefest from start to finish, only the stuff with Palpatine and Maul are of any interest.

AOTC has scenes that I actually like, but it also has scenes that are worse then anything in TPM.

But to me no scene in AOTC is on a par with the 'Qui-Gon, Darth Maul and The Energy Doors' scene in TPM. If two CDs are bad with the second being almost as bad as the first one, but the first one has one great song on it, then the choice is easily made: I choose the first one, the one that has at least one great thing going for it.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Well Stefancos, I know you wanted to like the Prequels, who following the saga doesn't? I wish you would call me a Prequel admirer rather than an apologist. It makes the whole difference in the world from my point of view and those who managed to like them for the many reasons I stated before. Why is it difficult to accept? All I wanted to state with my involvement in this argument is why I like the prequels, in case somebody wants to try them again from a different point of view. For the record, I do like the OT.

Yup, Luke, it is true that TPM can 'end' the same way ANH does, and I did not know anything of the mace backstory, I just know the films and some of the 'making of' stuff, that's all, but it does point out that Lucas had something in his mind from that time already.

I call you an "prequel apologist" because the way you seem to dismiss even the most reasonable objection to the prequel trilogy.

Anyone who thinks the OT and the pequels blend together seamlessly is a "apologist' not an admirer.

Stefancos,

Of course they don't blend seamlessly at all levels, but the drama does, and perfectly at that. I have tried watching all the saga chronologically and it works great. I'm not that blind to the fact that it isn't he smoothest of transitions, but yet again, what is a reasonable objection to you? Is it something you don't like that should be a measure for all people to accept? I have heard lots of excuses from you guys why ROTJ doesn't work reasonably for you, and they don't appear that reasonable to me, yet you accept this as fact. It looks to me much much more like opinion when you criticize Vader's redemption or Han's transformation. Reasonable is what you like.

To Alex: Moments from AOTC that I find wonderful just on remembering the movie for a minute:

Kamino

Geonosian spire where Obiwan investigates, very atmospheric, mysterious, brooding, ambiguousm troubling. Great emotions that summarize alot of AOTC

The end of the movie which I find very dramatic, bitter, menacing, wonderful, from the moment that Dooku arrives to Coruscant (however it is spelled). NOoice the volcano likem appearance of the nighttime planet. Coincidence, NO. I do love these small details and moments too. I do not know about you.

Well on a smaller level, it might not occur to you that many people including myself first were surprised to notice that: Isn't Sidious the same person as the Supreme Chancellor? That IS surprise for us. It is probably not so much as the Vader thing, but so what.

When Yoda enters to fight Dooku, the silence that ensues, a bit similar to your moment from TPM.

Now what I don't agree about is that Star Wars shouldn't be more like that moment you describe in TPM. It is just one fleeting moment and not more...

and I did not know anything of the mace backstory, I just know the films and some of the 'making of' stuff, that's all, but it does point out that Lucas had something in his mind from that time already.

Well it is not literally Mace's story, i think Mace Windu was the 1st name for luke skywalker...

Now what I don't agree about is that Star Wars shouldn't be more like that moment you describe in TPM. It is just one fleeting moment and not more...

It's not a fleeting moment. It's a very important moment, one that in the future will be decisive for Anakin. And it was the film's real climax. Funny that you don't think much of the only scene that I happen to think is quite good. In a way it makes perfectly sense. I don't like the rest of the movie and you do.

----------------

Alex Cremers

yes it is a very important moment, my use of the word fleeting is wrong, but what I meant is that there are other types of moments.

• 2 weeks later...