R.I.P. Amrish Puri

Lurker

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just noticed this horrible typo in his obituary:

"Puri also played minor roles in two Hollywood films -- as the high priest in the Steven Spielberg adventure epic "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom" (1984) and the sequel to "Raiders of the Lost Ark"."

Neil

This is sad news. The Indian film industry has lost an excellent actor. He was sometimes known as Om Puri and also starred in a lesser known British film City Of Joy with Patrick Swayze where he plays the ricshaw puller Hasari Pal. I really enjoy this movie and is, in my opinion, his best role in a western film.

Amrish Puri at rest - Jan 2005

He was very good in Temple of Doom. That's all I saw him in. He seemed to me to be a classically trained actor, from the way he used his eyes and body, as well as his vocal inflection. We don't get enough of that stuff anymore. RIP

This is sad news...for my age group he was really one of the greatest and most utterley terrifying screen villains - up there with Darth Vader - and, as far as the western world is concerned, an untapped talent....

Yes, I too only know him as Mola Ram, but he did such a great job with that character. And he's in one of my favorite shots from the movie: the swift dolly-in as he turns his head during Willie's sacrification. I just love the look on his face there. ;)

RIP

- Marc

I too only know him as Mola Ram, so Rest In Peace Mola Ram.

Puri also played minor roles in two Hollywood films -- as the high priest in the Steven Spielberg adventure epic "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom" (1984) and the sequel to "Raiders of the Lost Ark".

What's the sequel to "Raiders of the Lost Ark" ?!? That's pretty offensive to a good actor.

I'd like to remember him quoting a random of his ToD lines:

Indy (on the rope bridge): "Let her go Mola Ram!"

Mola Ram: "You are in a position...unsuitable to give orders!"

R.I.P.

I'm with Jeshopk in that when I first saw him I thought he was a classically trained actor too.

A great actor who shall be remembered

RIP Puri

I'm with Jeshopk too, his vocal inflection works perfectly for his Mola Ram character. I love the way he speaks (especially in the line I quoted). I love his accent, tipical of someone not-English that is talking English. I hope you get the idea.

Yes Marc, that was his natural accent. I think is tipical of persons who doesn't speak English as first language. I speak that way too. Sometimes I had some trouble in NYC to make people understand what I meant to say.

BTW, we don't have many actors like him anymore. I think that's a pity.

His voice makes him sound like Apu Nahasapemapetilon at times, but he's such a fine actor with his body and face that he's still a threatening character (of course the character itself is very different, but Puri really made him come alive).

molaram54ti.gif

- Marc

Apu !!!!!!!!! :sigh: LOL That's true!! Eh eh eh..I didn't think of that!

I used to cover my heart too in the scene when Mola Ram and Indy were on the cut bridge and he tried to take Indy's heart... ;)

A landmark in my film-seeing experiences. One of the greatest villains ever, and that's not something to be taken lightely- he gives a great, great performance.

Goodbye, Shri Puri.

I believed in you, you know. I did.

I was a true "Beleeeeeeeeeeiver"

Indian actors are great for that role. Bollywood acting is always intense.