How much does JW owe Steven Spielberg?

Josh500

Would JW be where he is today if it wasn't for Steven Spielberg?  

19 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes, of course.
    • No way.
    • How am I supposed to know?

For me, the answer is DEFINITELY no. John Williams owes so much to Spielberg (vice versa, as well, by the way). Ever since the breakthrough score to JAWS, JW did E.T. and SCHINDLER'S LIST with him (all of those got JW an Oscar). Also, SS introduced JW to George Lucas, the creator of STAR WARS, which, of course, proved to be another landmark score and established JW as the foremost film composer of the modern age.

So, without Spielberg, who knows where JW would be today??? Certainly not where he is now, but I think that, considering his massive talent, he still would have made it all the way to the top. What do you think???

:mrgreen:

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Spielberg owes more to Williams than Williams does to Spielberg. If Spielberg hadn't continued using Williams he (Spielberg) probably might not be where he is today. JW would kick ass anyway, he'd just have written different scores.

your choices are not very good.

this is a symbiotic relationship, they both have fed off each other.

Williams would have been a successful film composer even if he had never met Spielberg, but without Jaws, Star Wars, Raiders... I doubt this website would exist in to honour him. Spielberg made Williams the household name he is today. Of that I have no doubt.

Spielberg made Williams the household name he is today.

really it should read, Williams made Spielberg the household name he is today.

Hypothetical polls serve no purpose...

They are illogical... right.gif

Justin

Indeed.

Spielberg and Williams helped make each other. Personally I agree that Spielberg "owes more" to Williams than vice versa. If they hadn't hooked up then Williams might have been left to score many lower profile films as Goldsmith did, or he might have hooked up with another director, or he might have thrown in the towel and dedicated his life to selling flowers. Who knows?

John- who voted "how should I know"?

I think John Williams owes Steven Spielberg more simply because it's Spielberg who keeps hiring JW. Without the movies, there would be no music.

But it's nice of Spielberg to point out that without JW's music Jaws and George Lucas's Star Wars would have been only half as successful. That's inarguably true.

;)

How much does JW owe Steven Spielberg?

About three fifty.

Neil

sounds like what Chef's mom payed the lockness monster

three fifty

I thought Williams became really amazing when he started working with Spielberg. I think Spielberg brings out the best in Williams.

Remember 1994-1996. The longest period without a Williams-Spielberg collaboration and, again for me, a weak period in Williams' scoring career. It seems Williams needs Spielberg to infuse him with rich musical ideas and inspirations.

I thought Williams became really amazing when he started working with Spielberg. I think Spielberg brings out the best in Williams.  

I agree with that 100%. Also, I like the fact that Spielberg seems to truly appreciate John Williams's talent. There's always a short featurette or interview to be found on his DVDs.

Kudos to Spielberg!!! :|