Chorus Work.

Josh500

Which do you like most?  

37 members have voted

1. 1.

• Somewhere In My Memory (Home Alone).
    • Dry Your Tears Afrika (Amistad).
    • Duel of the Fates (Star Wars: Episode I).
    • Exsultate Justi (Empire of the Sun).
    • Double Trouble (Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban).
    • Look Down, Lord (Rosewood).
    • Other.

I'm not asking which is the best, just which do you like most. To my mind, they're all so good I can't choose one. Note that I haven't included Hymn to the Fallen (Saving Private Ryan).

:|

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh well..........................

I might choose "Other" since my vote goes to the track called "Temple of Doom" (track 7 on the OST CD) but usually I don't like to vote for the "other" options in thse kind of polls, so my vote goes to "Duel of the Fates".

Dry Your Tears, Afrika. You just can't get much more out of a chorus.

So true. I'd agree that this is the best of the group, but my favorite choral work is probably "Freedom Train" from Rosewood. It grabbed me from the moment I first heard it, and actually made me look back at other scores and realize what great choral writing John can do.

BTW, Ross, I love your new signature.

Anthony.

I'm with Ender. But of course, they're all fantastic. Duel of The Fates is probably my favorite piece from that selection, but the woodwinds are just as important as the chorus.

Well, my favorite piece of those listed is "Somewhere In My Memory."

Ray Barnsbury

Well, that makes two of us. 8O

Second choice was Double Trouble. I really don't like Rosewood.

Exsultate Justi for me, I just love that, its so different, and offbeat, but so uplifting.

I will have to play it sometime today.

Double Trouble,the fabulous extended Hollywood Bowl version,

Er, you don't happen to have a recording of this? (If so, please feel free to PM me.)

It's not Williams, but I'm listening to Prokofiev's Battle on the Ice. Man, just some phenominal chorus work in there.

From Amistad,I prefer "Middle Passage"

K.M.

I agree that the choral music starting at 3.45 of "Middle Passage" is one of the most powerful moments of the entire score (and thus the entire movie), but in the poll I only wanted actual songs, with lyrics. JW utilizies choirs a lot, of course, and to great effect (i.e. Theme From Jurassic Park), but quite often it's just humming or ahhh-ing or ohhh-ing. That's why I didn't include Hymn To The Fallen from Saving Private Ryan, either.

Also, I only wanted songs written specifically for movies, that's why I didn't include Call of the Champions.

:)

You missed out on one the all time great choral compositions for film... Gloria from Monsignor...

BKL

I have to say that, unfortunately, I have never seen the movie or even heard the score. And I'm sad about that!!! :nod:

I'm with Ender. For me, it was between Dry Your Tears, Afrika; Duel of the Fates; and Double Trouble. Duel of the Fates is a very powerful action piece, and Double Trouble is wonderfully mischievious, with a medieval carnival-type feel to it, but, ultimately, Dry Your Tears, Afrika is so perfectly inspirational and uplifting.

It doesn't seem like it would fit the scene at the end of Amistad where the troops are blowing up forts and stuff, but it does perfectly. I actually heard it used a few years ago in a video about the Declaration of Independence I watched in school. It was a version with woodwinds playing the theme, and it was really cool to be able to hear it somewhere else.

~Sturgis

Duel of the Fates. The Emperor's Theme is also some of my favorite Williams choral work.

BTW, apologies for my long absence. Not to bore anyone with the details, suffice to say that I was only supposed to be gone a couple of days and then...wasn't. :mrgreen: But I see I didn't miss anything too exciting. :(

Thanks Ray (and TJ in the OT forum thread). :(

My grandmother's been in and out of the hospital and had to go back in while we were visiting. But it wasn't anything serious and everything's looking much better now.

Yep. Glad everithing is OK, John...btw do you use Firefox or Internet Explorer...I use FF and you're Stan is so damn fast! It looks crazy.

Well, Stan IS crazy and it has never been slow, thought. Just faster and crazier with Firefox :remybussi:

But it's nice to live here on Melee...I just can't live without the SCUMM Bar.

Did you know the LUA Bar was oot of businnes last year?

So I started an online petition and then we have our lovely SCUMM Bar back to his glory!!

They still have the best grog of the whole planet!

Also Stan (no, not the Eminem fan) re-opened his old ship businnes. He still have the Grog Machine that looks like a Coke Machine!

El Pollo Diablo, the giant Demon Chicken that haunts Plunder Island. He stalks the residents, especially one Blondbeard who runs the local chicken shop. He takes revenge on his poultry brothers who have been eaten. The island is covered in feral chickens too. Uh, he also thinks that "Dues of the Fates" is John's best choral work... :)