Who loves Sabrina???

Josh500

Do movies have to be successful for the score to succeed? I think that's generally true. That's why the score to Far and Away and Sabrina are so underrated. I think especially Sabrina is one of the best efforts by Williams in the mid-nineties. Unfortunately, the Sydney Pollack movie wasn't all that great, so hardly anyone thinks much of the score, either. I just love the Theme From Sabrina (and, to a lesser degree, Moonlight as performed by Sting). It makes me feel like I'm in Paris in spring, in love, going to fancy parties . . . in other words, exactly what the music should evoke in us. Does anyone have a better understanding of how music can be associated with such specific situations as John Williams? I think not. Sabrina is a score that manages to be energetic, breezy, mysterious, and exotic at the same time. I think it's just plain lovely.

:angry:

P.S.: Does anyone else feel the same away about Sabrina?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Sabrina much too, well, especially the theme. There are snippets of this score which have had a considerable impact on Catch Me if You Can and The Terminal, but then again, the song was already based on the Fitzwilly song.

I always enjoy listening through Sabrina. I've never seen the film, and from what I hear that's just as well. However the score is beautiful. The main theme is very pretty (the moment when the orchestra appears out of nowhere gives me goosebumps). Moonlight was by far the finest song in the 1997 Oscars (or whatever year it was). I think it was robbed!

I also love Williams' medley of forties songs (Call Me Irresponsible etc).

I'm definitely a fan of Sabrina. I think overall I prefer it to his Nixon score of the same year, which was also pretty damn fine.

I remember watching Williams play a snippet of the piano theme himself on a tape of an old Evening at Pops broadcast, and Gene Shalit said something to the extent of "Ahh Sabrina. I love it. Well, I love most everything you've written."

I think the score to Sabrina shows that JW had a good time writing it. An elegant delightful, if unweighty entry in the Williams canon -- same way I feel about The Terminal.

"They only come out at night. Or, in this case, during the day."

Morlock- who would easily rate Sabrina his least favorite JW score.

Miguel Andrade loves Sabrina. And that says a lot.

If Carla reads that I love Sabrina I'm dead!!!

But is a fact I do, but then again, I love so much of Williams music... And surelly I don't think that would mean anything :)

Actually, I felt that Harrison Ford's chemistry with Julia Ormond was better than Bogart's with Hepburn. But perhaps that's just me.

As for the music, my favorite sections are the lavish, swooping string work in some of the Paris scenes and the delicate guitar rendition of the main theme for the romantic dinner between Linus and Sabrina.

C'mon, this movie was great! Harrison Ford is wonderful for the role, and the chemistry is very effective. Greg Kinnear is, as always, very entertaining. Williams' score is perfect for the purpose it needs to serve - even if it is a little breezy and unmemorable except for the theme. Stanley and Iris is much less listenable to me than Sabrina.

Sabrina has grown on me over the years. It wouldn?t normally be my taste of music but I can appreciate how, once again, he finds just the right sound for the movie. The romantic music has that upper-class, sophisticated fairytale sensibility. My favorite track is How Can I Remember which has a more contempory arrangement on the soundtrack than in the film, although still kind of old-school sounding. Lots of other little hightlights including some not on the soundtrack unfortunately. The most interesting unreleased cue was a Paris scene where we get some of the Moonlight theme over a very contemporary techno beat - JW meets the Paris fashion scene; kind of unusual to hear.

- Adam

The main theme is very pretty (the moment when the orchestra appears out of nowhere gives me goosebumps).

I agree, the Main Theme is arguably the best track on the CD. I'm especially fond of the moment when at about 3.08 the piano returns, this time accompanied by oboe. And then, IMO, comes the best part of the entire soundtrack: the Main Theme starts again at 3.35, this time accompanied by a single flute . . . I think this sounds so good, I can't express it in words. Just so playful and soft, like a gentle breeze in Paris . . . (I didn't know I was a poet!!! LOL)

I also love Williams' medley of forties songs (Call Me Irresponsible etc).

Yeah, my favorite Party Sequence music is When Joanna Loved Me. The trombone solo by Dick Nash throughout the song is second-to-none . . . :mrgreen:

Main Theme starts again at 3.35, this time accompanied by a single flute

Yes, I just love that little flute accompaniment! I think I'm going to listen to Sabrina today, this thread has whet my appetite.

Ray Barnsbury

Sabrina is one of my favorite John Williams scores from the nineties along with Schindler's List, Angela's Ashes, and Nixon.

The film is underrated, acting performances are terrific. Beautiful locations in Paris, Long Island and Martha's Vineyard.