JAWS 2

scallenger

I just recently obtained a copy of the JAWS 2 score by John Williams. Who else liked this very entertaining take on the first JAWS score? I thought it was thrilling and a good overall listen.

Question: I haven't seen the movie, is it any good? I know it can't be as good as the original, but what is it like? Also, does the OST have most of the music from the film or is there a lot missing?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's some unreleased music but nothing that really stands out that much - mostly shorter scenes with minor underscore. The movie is hard to sit through but it still managed to provide enough oppurtunity for JW to give us some great underscore. I especially like the underwater harp music and also the final track for the finale and end credits. I enjoy this score a lot.

- Adam

Jaws 2 is an ok movie. Its fun, scary, and well shot.

The score is terrific. There are better sequels, and better scores, but there are not many better sequel scores than this. Its a 4 star out of 4 star score.

and it features a great poster, and one of the all time great, if not the all time greatest tag lines ever.

Just When You Thought It Was Safe To Go Back In The Water!

Sacrilege I know but I prefer listening to Jaws 2 than the classic original. There are two terrfic new themes thrown in there.

As for the movies, I recently got Jaws 1&2 on DVD. I'd like to get 3 also. Then I'll stop. The Revenge is just shite. I've always enjoyed the first two (except for that young lady who keeps friggin screaming in 2 - why didn't the shark get her?) and I've only ever seen 3D once...long ago.

Quick reviews...

Jaws 2 the movie... What Joe says is true, there are better movie sequels and there are worse sequels... But not many better sequel scores. Whatever JW saw in this movie that the rest of us didn't, certainly showed up on the score.

Jaws 3-D Boring movie... A waste of time and talent (Dennis Quaid and Louis Gossett, Jr.) Terrific score by Alan Parker. One of my favourite elements of his score is the fact that the score is almost totally original, with only the actual "Shark Motif" appearing from time to time. The Sea World themes are true standouts.

Jaws: The Revenge I watched this movie once when it was first released on home video... That's an hour and a half that I'll never get back. banghead Good score by Micheal Small.

Jaws 2 is a pretty good movie, I think -- of course not a classic like the first Jaws, but still a decent effort. I was actually surprised at how good it was. The score is also good, of course, and some think it's more enjoyable to listen than the first. This might be true, although IMO nothing beats the original.

Jaws 3-D is really a waste of time. The only thing I liked about it is Lea Thompson (when I was about 12 or so I had a major crush on her after I saw her in Back To The Future). Also, I like the fact that JW got credited at the beginning: ORIGINAL THEMES BY JOHN WILLIAMS. The shark looks SO stupid in this movie, it's really an insult. Of course, at that time, anything done by a computer -- no matter how ridiculous -- was worth watching.

:)

Quick reviews...

Jaws 2 the movie... What Joe says is true, there are better movie sequels and there are worse sequels... But not many better sequel scores. Whatever JW saw in this movie that the rest of us didn't, certainly showed up on the score.

Jaws 3-D Boring movie... A waste of time and talent (Dennis Quaid and Louis Gossett, Jr.) Terrific score by Alan Parker. One of my favourite elements of his score is the fact that the score is almost totally original, with only the actual "Shark Motif" appearing from time to time. The Sea World themes are true standouts.

Jaws: The Revenge I watched this movie once when it was first released on home video... That's an hour and a half that I'll never get back. banghead Good score by Micheal Small.

It's good to know I'm not the only one that likes the scores for Jaws 3 and 4! :P

And, like Joe, I'm a huge shark fan. My favourite animals. Nex Christmas I might ask to Santa a shark instead of a dog. :)

I also like snakes. No wait...why did it have to be snakes?

It's interesting watch snakes documentaries, but I definitely wouldn't to meet a cobra or have an hug form an anaconda! :nod:

I can't remember, I think it's a normal movie. Lame, too.

Sometimes I saw it called "Jaws 3D" and sometimes just "Jaws 3"...why?

It's the same reason of "Harry Potter and the Philosopher/Sorcerer's stone"?

The film was originally released as a 3D film (the 1980's saw a brief return of that format).

Since the effect cannot really be reproduced for TV and video release the D has become somewhat redundant.

redundant or useless? :)

is the dvd version 3d? they really could have done that...

The Finale,or End Credit,is one of Williams most beautiful cues!I don't remember the scene it underscores,a sunset or somethimg?

K.M.

It begins as Brody and his son float away to shore and then the end credits start as the camera pans out, I think, to a wideview of the ocean. Then when the second half of the cue begins we get the end credits over a sunset. Or at least that's how I remember it.

- Adam

Thanks for the responses. Well I guess I am going to have to give my video store a visit and rent Jaws 2. Its a shame Jaws 3 wasn't made very well as you guys are saying... I kind of liked the idea of the shark attacking Sea World. :) And I heard about the shark crashing into the shark encounter glass tube or something and that looked real cool in my head... but I guess that wasn't done right either?

Oh, I must also check out the scores for 3 and 4 sometime...