No Oscar for 'Aviator' score

Bart

Alan Menken deserved his score OScars. Jeff

I'll have to disagree with you on that count.

And to the person who said Menken has the most Oscars of any composer, I don't think so. Williams has 5, I think Menken has 3 (not counting his Song Oscars). And I don't think number of Oscars equals a particular worth of a composer. Goldsmith only won one, I think North only got a lifetime achievement, etc.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And to the person who said Menken has the most Oscars of any composer, I don't think so.  Williams has 5, I think Menken has 3 (not counting his Song Oscars).  And I don't think number of Oscars equals a particular worth of a composer.  Goldsmith only won one, I think North only got a lifetime achievement, etc.

Im a person, and my name is Anak.. Luke! :)

I thought Menken has 8 Oscars, 4 for score and 4 for song.

If we are counting just scores then he has as many as Williams, who has 4 (the other is an adaptation).

Unfortunately...

I have a problem with Menken's technical abilities. I find his music as fluffy as my mom's Persian cat. I would agree that his Hunchback score, which has the least noteriety, was his best. I just never could get into his music because it sounds so scaled down and thin. I've heard more balls from Giacchino's ALIAS music with half the orchestra forces.

I truly find it sad that animated scores like "The Little Mermaid" and "Aladdin" were awarded over scores like Glory, Born on the 4th of July, The Fabulous Baker Boys, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Sneaker's etc.

And then there were really amazing animated scores like Mulan, Iron Giant, and Rescuers Down Under that were ignored....It just reinforces my theory that Oscar voters like their music basic- keep it simple, triadic and not very adventurous in the orchestrations and you're bound to win an Oscar. Let's just go back a few years:

2004- Howard Shore (REturn of the King)

2003- Elliot Goldenthal (Frida)

2002- Howard Shore (Fellowship of the Ring)

2001- Tan Dun (Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon)

2000- John Corigliano (The Red Violin)

--------------------------------------------

okay, I stand corrected. The last 5 years recipients have been great composers recognised for their accomplishments.

Basic? I haven't heard the score for Sideways yet, but some say it is pretty basic.

Yet it seems to have made almost ALL the Oscar pundits lists. ??? There are two or three all seem to agree on (differ widely on which JW they like though), but then they often have Passion of the Christ and/or A Very Long Engagement, and then Sideways over and over where The Village should be.

Apparently, because the movie wasn't so hot, it's not expected the score will be nominated. Wow....that is NOT how it should be.

They are supposed to be awarding a composer for outstanding musical achievement, not the filmmakers. :)

Interesting though, with the new news there are some murmurs of the outside possibility JW could get two nominations. Doubt it, but it would be very cool.

Greta

6 hours and 30 minutes till nominations!!! I am PRAYING J-Will can pull of at least ONE nomination, only so that I can feel momentarily justified in listening to the music I have been (...you know whose...) over the past half a year.

(as of 9am GMT)

John Williams is generally regarded as the best and most respected composer in Hollywood, right? So what amazes me is the fact that JW has received four Oscars (for original compositions) during a span of 18 years. Alan Menken, on the other hand, has received just as many in a span of just seven years.

Something is seriously out of whack, right?

And what's more, Jerry Goldsmith had only one, James Horner has one, Hans Zimmer ditto, Danny Elfman has none . . .

:wave:

Oscar noms out. No objections except how the HELL did Shark Tale get a best animation nom, and Incredibles didn't get a best picture nom? Other than that I'm pleased overall, especially how well finding neverland is doing. What a weak field in vfx if irobot get a nom...

how the HELL did Shark Tale get a best animation nom,

Their standards for this category are rather low. At least 1-2 are in there (at least in the past 4 years) just to round it out. This category is probably the only sure thing of the lot.

and Incredibles didn't get a best picture nom?

It was not worthy of it.

What a weak field in vfx if irobot get a nom...

Indeed. Troy was much more worthy.

us"]and Incredibles didn't get a best picture nom?

It was not worthy of it.

I think it's #2 on best films of the year. It got the highest fresh tomato rating for the year as well.

I think it's #2 on best films of the year. It got the highest fresh tomato rating for the year as well.

I thought the film had a basic flaw with it's villain. But, then again, all my favorite films this year were great film held back by a flaw, or good film elevated somehow. No films that are great. No 4 star films. However, I still haven't seen Sideways, The Aviator, Million Dollar Baby, Vera Drake, or Hotel Rwanda, among the most acclaimed films of the year.

. Alan Menken, on the other hand, has received just as many in a span of just seven years.

. . .    

:thumbup:

Wasn't that the reason they made up a Best Musical or Comedy score" award for a while?

K.M.

. Alan Menken, on the other hand, has received just as many in a span of just seven years.

. . .    

:thumbup:

Wasn't that the reason they made up a Best Musical or Comedy score" award for a while?

K.M.

Yeah, but it didn't JW any good, did it? :cry:

I'm pleasantly surprised that Village got a score nod, I really hope Scorsese gets his oscar for Aviator though

Max-Who wants to see Hotel Rwanda really bad