Harry Potter and The Prisoner of Azkaban has Been Nominated

Lurker

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a hard year to predict a winner. As others have said, its a pretty wide-open field. Snicket seem like the least likely but, even that, wouldn't completely surprise me. I sitll think Azkaban probably won't win though I'd love to be wrong. Certainly its the most deserving of the movies I've seen (only 3 of them).

- Adam

Wow, I didn't know you made the Snickets comment until after I entered my post in. Wasn't trying to steal that from you.

- Adam

I find it funny that nobody mentioned this bit of trivia that's been repeated in the board for the last two years. If Williams wins for PoA, then his 11-year Oscar pace will once again be fulfilled: 1971 for Fiddler, 1982 for E.T., 1993 for Schindler and 2004 for PoA.

Just shocked that nobody mentioned that before. KM, why weren't you at your post?

I find it funny that nobody mentioned this bit of trivia that's been repeated in the board for the last two years. If Williams wins for PoA, then his 11-year Oscar pace will once again be fulfilled: 1971 for Fiddler, 1982 for E.T., 1993 for Schindler and 2004 for PoA.

Just shocked that nobody mentioned that before.

Too bad Jaws doesn't figure into that that well.

I gotta say, though, if JW didn't win, I would love to see JNH get an Oscar. I think he did a superb job on The Village. Also, JNH got beaten out by JW once already, in 1993, when Schindler's List won instead of The Fugitive (although that was sort of a given). The only thing I couldn't stand would be if John Debney won for The Passion. THEN I would REALLY lose the little faith I still got in the Academy.

Also, to be honest, I can't even imagine Lemony Snicket winning. Ditto for Finding Neverland.

8O

P.S. I thought it was really funny going through the JNH thread. Does anyone know a Thomas Newman thread? Kinda wanna know what they have to say about John Williams!!!

;)

Yes, that and Star Wars are real party-poopers for that theory. But then again, I didn't come up with it.

There must be SOME algorithm for solving this ;)

Of course I hope for Williams to win, although:

1) I think Philosopher's Stone was better;

2) if the Village wins, I'd be very happy for Hilary Hahn.

and Hollywood being very semetic, means Passion isn't likely to win.

I agree, and think that will hurt Passion's chances of winning. I'm surprised it was even nominated.

:roll:

The Passion will lose because it is not a particulaly notable film score, and obviously inferior to it's competition.

I agree, and think that will hurt Passion's chances of winning. I'm surprised it was even nominated.

:roll:

The Passion will lose because it is not a particulaly notable film score, and obviously inferior to it's competition.

IMO, Lemony Snicket and Finding Neverland are out, The Passion is unlikely, The Village could possibly win, PoA is very like to win.

But, of course, with the Academy, you can never tell. ;)

I gotta say, though, if JW didn't win, I would love to see JNH get an Oscar. I think he did a superb job on The Village. Also, JNH got beaten out by JW once already, in 1993, when Schindler's List won instead of The Fugitive (although that was sort of a given). The only thing I couldn't stand would be if John Debney won for The Passion. THEN I would REALLY lose the little faith I still got in the Academy.

Also, to be honest, I can't even imagine Lemony Snicket winning. Ditto for Finding Neverland.

:sigh:

P.S. I thought it was really funny going through the JNH thread. Does anyone know a Thomas Newman thread? Kinda wanna know what they have to say about John Williams!!!

:wave:

Well the first post has a rather weak argument.

The guy says Williams has already one oscar for HP1. If only it were true...

Well at least someone pointed it out to him :)

At least I pointed that out to all of us here... ;)

Since when has that mattered to the Academy?

~Sturgis

We should all huddle by our computers on Oscar night and post only "YIPEE!" if he wins and only "F THE ACADEMY" if he loses; see how many identical posts we can get. :mrgreen:

~Sturgis

KM, won't winning for POA ruin his changes for winning for Ep III?

He is not going to be nominated for that.

1st - Its George 'I dont like hollywood' Lucas

2nd - it may not be eligible for the prize. And we dont want a total original score since this one has to mix two trilogies

3rd - If they didnt nominated TPM, well...

He is not going to be nominated for that.

1st - Its George 'I dont like hollywood' Lucas

2nd - it may not be eligible for the prize. And we dont want a total original score since this one has to mix two trilogies

3rd - If they didnt nominated TPM, well...

Luke, a few holes in your theory.

1st -- George Lucas didn't like Hollywood when he made the first trilogy, yet all three scores were nominated, and each film one at least one Oscar.

2nd -- It can still blend the two triologies and still be eligible. I think only 80 percent of the score has to be original to the new film. Look at "Azkaban." It still had the spirit of the original with "Hedwig's Theme" and the "Flying Theme" thrown in, but still had its own voice. However, I do understand how it could be ineligible if the Emperor's theme, Duel of the Fates, the Force theme, Luke's theme, Leia's theme, Yoda's theme, Anakin's theme and the Rebel fanfare are used with prominence.

3rd -- They didn't nominate "The Two Towers," yet "Return of the King" was victorious.

But we'll see. It's a tough category to pick this year, if you're not biased towards any one composer or film, like many of us are here.

Jeff

It's a tough category to pick this year, if you're not biased towards any one composer or film, like many of us are here.

But not if you're a member of the Academy.

"So, who brought the dice this time?"

~Sturgis

Also, like TPM and AOTC the ROTS score might simply not be Oscarworthy.

(KM voive) ' Your lack of faith sounds disturbing...'

I can agree with AOC but not with TPM...

trumpeteer: GL had to rely on hollywood to make SW, (and he did not have the ranch or great companies - yes they existed but were more 'homemade' than anything -) and that was the great winner, see that all his post-SW movies have not fared well (except in unquestionable SFX and sound) And the prequels even not that!

(please dont start with prequel bashing, not needed since ESB was a great movie and it got literally nothing)

Well the Vegas odds are out,

Finding Neverland leads the pack

Passion of the Christ is 2nd

Lemony Snicket is 3rd

and

HPPOA, and the Village are tied for 4th.

If anything, I think winning for PoA will hurt his chances of winning next year with "Memoirs of a Geisha". Williams has been wanting to do this for a long time, and he'll probably pour his heart and soul into it (when has he not?....okay, well maybe Space Camp). I'm sure the score for that film will be terrific.

Lemony Snicket is 3rd

and  

Where did you find this, prey tell?

That statement is false.

Oh, and Williams WILL win an oscar this year.

Luke, a few holes in your theory.

1st -- George Lucas didn't like Hollywood when he made the first trilogy, yet all three scores were nominated, and each film one at least one Oscar.

That was nothing more but an attempt to seduce Lucas.

Hollywood: "Join us, Lucas! Hollywood could use a successful film maker like you. Together we will rule the film business like father and son!"

Lucas: "Papa?"

----------------

Alex Cremers

Lemony Snicket is 3rd

and  

Where did you find this, prey tell?

That statement is false.

Oh, and Williams WILL win an oscar this year.

On the net, I did a odds search

the odds are set so that money is bet across the board on each of the choices.

Finding Neverland is basically better than even money.

POA and the Village are 13 to 1 longshots.

Since Morlock knows that JW will win he should put his fortune down in Vegas for POA, borrow money if he needs to, and split the winnings with Andreas.

- Adam

There's a scene in PoA where Hermione throws two stones, first hitting a vase, then Harry in the back of the head. Did you notice that JW accompanies the shots as the rocks fly through the window musically with piccolos/very high flutes? I think this sounds SO cool. Music is in perfect sync with the visuals. Just noticed it yesterday and wanted to let you know.

Josh (who believes JW should get an Oscar for this achievement alone).

;)

Josh, Williams is one of the few people who takes the time to do something like that these days. It doesn't take talent. Just a little patience to get the timing right and orchestrated correctly.

Ok, I listend to all on the list.

(from WORST to BEST)

5| Thomas Newman, Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events

Oh my...

What is this? Most annoying score since Horner's Troy.

2/10

4| Jan A.P. Kaczmarek, Finding Neverland

Cin-cin-cin-La-la-la-la-la

Yes, a true Oscar material............ NOT!

2,5/10

3|John Debney, The Passion of the Christ

Well...This is a fine one. I like it!

7/10

2| James Newton Howard, The Village

Another great one!

But I watched the movie again - and now even music has a bad taste for me! Damn!

7,5/10

John Williams, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

is by far the best one here (and best this year). And by far the most original (and it's a sequel!!)

Anyway, The Village may win, but it brings up the bad memories of the film, so I can't stand it!

GO WILLIAMS, GO WILLIAMS! :D

Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events is a fine score. I don't understand all the bashing of it.

Justin - Who loves the last two tracks.