:wave:

Best Music ? Original Score

Jan A.P. Kaczmarek, Finding Neverland

John Williams, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Thomas Newman, Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events

John Debney, The Passion of the Christ

James Newton Howard, The Village

NO GIACCHINO.

I don't know the other scores, but it's very likely that JW will get an Oscar this year. Possibly Passion of the Christ, but I honestly don't think so.

I can't wait!!!!!

LOL

I thought  they had put the nominations sooner...

But well, i agre with you :wave:

I was speaking to Merkel, since 3 threads have magically become one.

God save me if agreed with Joe :roll:

I hope HP get the SFX award too, the other two contestants are no match for it.

My big concern is Finding Neverland. If the movie wins Best Picture, it will be given the award as an extra token (like it's happened so often, see Shakespeare in Love). If it doesn't win, it'll be an excellent consolation prize (as it's happened so often, see Life is Beautiful).

Yes,but PoA won't win major awards despite beeing very well reviewed,so they might toss it the score oscar to acknowledge it,along with other technical awards.

anyways who remembers the score to Finding Neverland,it wasn't such a popular film

This is Williams best hope in years.I don't see any reason why any of these choices is a major threat.Thank god he wasn't nominated for Terminal also.

K.M.

I was overjoyed at seeing the nominations! Of my 5 choices, 4 have been nominated.

Man I am so happy, they didn't overlook The Village. Richly deserved.

Giacchino should have a got a nom, but maybe they thought it was too derivative in places? So they put Lemony Snicket, which is kind of off the wall.

JW really deserves to win this award! We'll see, Finding Neverland has lot of support.... But who knows.

Greta :wave:

HP scores need an Oscar, if ROTK won 11 (in recognition of the entire trilogy surely), they should give Williams the oscars, even if it is a sequel. And it will be possibly Williams last HP score...

My big concern is Finding Neverland. If the movie wins Best Picture, it will be given the award as an extra token (like it's happened so often, see Shakespeare in Love). If it doesn't win, it'll be an excellent consolation prize (as it's happened so often, see Life is Beautiful).

Finding Neverland has no chance at best picture. Ray should win, but Million Dollar Baby will win.

HP scores need an Oscar, if ROTK won 11 (in recognition of the entire trilogy surely),  they should give Williams the oscars, even if it is a sequel. And it will be possibly Williams last HP score...

I sense something like that.

K.M.

I really believe that this is John Williams' year. The Academy needs to acknowledge his work on the HP series. Although the award will be for PoA, in truth the Oscar will be in consideration of all three HP scores.

I wonder what kind of acceptance speech he will give. Maybe, like Spielberg, he'll start by saying, "Did I really want this?" (Or something to that effect.)

As I predicted in an earlier post, John Debney will probably get the coveted Oscar. As for Best Director, my feeble effort on EXTERNAL MOONLIGHT OF AN EXTREMELY DIRTY MIND didn't even get a nomination. Personally, I hope Scorsese doesn't get it as the movie was awful. Go on, Clint...make Marty's day and put him out of his misery.

Hitch

PoA has only 2 nominations(score and visual effects),I was expecting more...may the Potter producers feel their loss.

And..GO Natalie Porman!

K.M.

This is incredible - all of my favourite scores of the year have been nominated, and it includes all 3 of my favourite composers!

I really don't know which to root for. I would love to see John get an Oscar for the Potter series, but I am still a huge fan of both Tom Newman & J.N.H. and they both need to be recognised sometime soon ;)

Go everyone :wave:

I am glad to see that Williams is nominated and I too believe that he has the best chance to win and SHOULD win. However, we just have to hope that the Academy feels the same way.

Congrats to Williams!!!!!

This is by far his best score in recent years and he deserves the Oscar!!!!

PoA has only 2 nominations(score  and visual effects),I was expecting more...may the  Potter producers feel their loss.

And..GO Natalie Porman!

K.M.

I was also saddened to see that The Terminal wasn't nominated, even for Art Direction!!! What's that all about? The let's-give-Spielberg-the-snub phase starts again???

The best part of all beside's John nomination is that Michael Giapoopoo was not nominated. :wave:

PoA has only 2 nominations(score  and visual effects),I was expecting more...may the  Potter producers feel their loss.

K.M.

Yeah true, but in which other categories might PoA have been nominated? Maybe Art Direction, but other than that . . . I don't think Emma Watson's ever gonna be nominated Best Actress (as much as I like her).

Yeah, a shame. Probably Spielberg won't even be there to congratulate JW on his 6th Oscar!!!!

Does anyone know the score to Lemony Snicket by Thomas Newman? Any chance of winning???

Seriously, this is a strong field, stronger than alot of years.

MUSIC (SCORE)

FINDING NEVERLAND

HARRY POTTER AND THE PRISONER OF AZKABAN

LEMONY SNICKET'S A SERIES OF UNFORTUNATE EVENTS

THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST

THE VILLAGE

I worry that John's score while in my biased opinion is the best, that the Academy will have to give some lip service to the Passion of the Christ, and its $340+ million boxoffice draw, and this is the easy spot to do so.

I've listened to Denby's score and I do like it, but its not POA's quality.

I've not heard Finding Neverland, and I've heard on snickets of Lemony Snicket, so I can't say about those,

but I know that the Villiage, despite its overly harsh criticisms is a really fine score, actually a terrific one.

But as I've said several times, if a score like Return of the King, which was much more closely related to the first two LOTR scores, can win, then POA, which relied very little on the two previous scores, can win too.

btw, this years Oscars feature some of the most uninteresting films. 2004 was a dismal year for movies, as has been the case for most of the 21st century. Granted there were some interesting films, but some just too bizarre.

best visual effects is a joke this year, an absolute travesty.

none of the 3 films nominated even deserve to be nominated.

this year they should have given a special award to Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, nothing else comes even close.

I worry that John's score while in my biased opinion is the best, that the Academy will have to give some lip service to the Passion of the Christ, and its $340+ million boxoffice draw, and this is the easy spot to do so.

How about giving some lip service to the $600 million-Harry Potter franchise??? :wave:

So they put Lemony Snicket, which is kind of off the wall.  

Greta  :wave:

Aren't all of Thomas Newman's scores pretty much off-the-wall? Except for "Little Women."

"The Village," sadly is the only of the score nominees I have not heard. I missed it in the theaters (too busy) and it's always rented out at the video store.

Anyway, this is great news for John Williams. I am just happy he got nominated. I had my doubts there for a little bit.

Jeff -- not picking a winner yet

Congratulations to Jan A. P. Kaczmarek on his first Academy Award nomination! Overall, I feel Finding Neverland is the most deserving, although James Newton Howard's handsome tribute to Vaughan Williams would be a fine choice as well.

Overall, the writing in for the third HP installment is Williams's strongest for the series, but I don't consider it an outright classic as Williams's previous wins in this category were.

I don't think the other two nominees are worthy -- Newman's done much better work, and Debney's score unimaginatively rehashes cinematic World Music's "greatest hits" -- and wish the Academy had given one of those nods to Badalamenti for his powerful A Very Long Engagement, which is, I think, the finest score for a war film since Zimmer's A Thin Red Line.

How about giving some lip service to the $600 million-Harry Potter franchise??? :wave:

I want John to win, as most here do, but POA, which is supposedly the best of the 3 according to most, an opinion I strongly disagree with, made about 100 million less than The Passion of the Christ. There is a strong anti Passion faction in Hollywood, wonder who they are???, Mel Gibson's name is mud, but the huge boxoffice, and enormous dvd sales are due so lip service, and this is an easy choice.

No lip service is due to HPPOA because it underperformed.

If John wins, its because he was worthy of winning. Wasn't he supposedly the favorite for CMIYC, and he still lost.

Oscars are no more then a popularity contest, I guarantee you that 95 Percent of the people voting couldn't hum a single bar from any of the nominees (except the voting composers, music editors etc....). Its like OK Passion had music, great I will vote for that since I didn't vote for it for best cinematography etc....

I will root for JW, yet I will also be satsified with JNH getting one for his shelf.

Debney is great - but Passion is not an Oscar Worthy score - there is really nothing much to it, especially it lacks originality.

Oscars are no more then a popularity contest

Really? If they're nothing more than a popularity contest, then why did Corigliano win in 2000 for The Red Violin? I don't recall that film -- or score -- enjoying enormous popularity.

I'm very happy Williams got a very well-deserved nod for his wonderful Azkaban score. It's surely the best of the bunch.

But I'm happy also for Newton Howard and Tom Newman and their excellent scores, which are some of the best of the year. I haven't listened yet to Kaczmarek's Finding Neverland, but I've read a lot positive comments about it.

No comment about The Passion.

Listened to POA for the first time today (yes, you can start laughing now). I live in a backwater called Britain. It's old, and it takes a long time for me to hear about what is going on elsewhere. I still haven't seen the film (double shock). But i do like this third score. It's experimental and very balanced.Btw, i hear there is a film in town called Jaws. Anyone seen it? What's the plot? I'd love to hear about it.

Btw. Was this deliberate? (apologies to George)

22e3c4591f.pnga25059a413.png

Oscars are no more then a popularity contest,

even if you were correct, though Alan has proved otherwise, its still the most prestigious award a filmmaker can receive, bar none. Besides what wrong with a little recognition from your peers and those in the business.

also to further disprove your point, then in 78, 80, and 81, John would have been the winners for those 3 years big boxoffice hits.

Oscars are no more then a popularity contest

Really? If they're nothing more than a popularity contest, then why did Corigliano win in 2000 for The Red Violin? I don't recall that film -- or score -- enjoying enormous popularity.

Yes, that example. As valid as The Full Monty in 1997. The Best Original Score award is a joke.