36 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes.
    • No.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's more complicated than "yes" and "no". There will never be another John Williams. But will Giacchino get the Spielberg gig once the unthinkable happens? Quite possibly.

Ozzel - who didn't vote and also hates improper comma usage.

There is a point when man uses his full potential, puts his best efforts forward, uses the entirety of his capacity, accepts nothings less than greatness and perfection from himself, there is a time when man rises above all else near him and far away from him, when he dwarfs everyone, when he achieves someting no one else can. That my friend is John Williams and Giacchino can not fill that marvelous throne.

I also hate the misuse of commas. :)

Anyway, I voted no. I don't think people are ever the "next" anyone. There are varying degrees of greatness, and John Williams, of course, holds the number one spot on the list o' Great Composers. Will anyone ever match his style and complexity and originality? Who knows? As of now, there aren't any composers out there as great as Williams, but someday there may be one. I haven't heard much of Giacchino's work, but I have the Medal of Honor: Frontline score and I like that a lot.

When "the unthinkable" happens, I would like to see Spielberg use James Newton Howard as his main composer. He might like to experiment with composers for a while, though, play the field and see who he would like to settle down with (in a non-romantic way ;)). Howard's unique style comes from his great orchestrations and marvelous skills with chords (which JW has as well, but it is a defining trait of Howard's). Danny Elfman is also very good at orchestration and chords, and he would be my second choice for Spielberg's next leading man.

For now, we can all think peacfully of the many years to come of great new original, beautiful, complex, bouncy, and emotional themes and motifs of many new scores to be created by John Williams.

~Sturgis

I've only heard a fraction of his total output but I like his music and craft enough to be interested in hearing what he does next - in the film world, in particular.

- Adam

Ozzel - who didn't vote and also hates improper comma usage

What, the heck is your, problem?

Justin - Who asked the question in mild jest and is amazed some people are voting yes. 8O

Justin - Who also did not plan this to become a discussion of Williams inevitable death. ;)

Giacchino is what, 32? Let's listen to some of Williams' output at that age.

I love Williams and I think the guy is writing at a whole other level than anyone else. But let's accord Giacchino some time to develop into the current Williams status. It's not fair to compare what Williams is writing now with a guy who's just barely gotten into main stream film scoring. And from what I've heard, Giacchino is far more competant and has greater range than those idiots at Media Ventures or the Brian Tyler's of the world or John Ottmans (who also don't know how to orchestrate even if Samuel Adler's book crawled up his ass).

I think it's time for some forward-thinking person to start a Giacchino forum. That way those of us who see the potential in this composer's abilities can talk positively about his work without running into those who make completely unfair comparisons.

For the record, if Williams were to bow out of WOTW, I would prefer Giacchino over Zimmer.

Yeah but anyone in the early 60's who claimed Johnny Williams was gonna be the new Miklos Rozsa was gonne be looked at funnily.

People like Williams and Goldsmith worked in relative anonimity in radio and TV for many years before getting famous.

This must have helped immensely in fine-tuning their skills, experimenting, learning how to do the job.

These days composers have an internet following proclaiming their brilliance even at the very early stages of a career.

Let's see were Mr. Giacchino is 10 years from now.

I just can't help thinking that Williams has been 70 forever. Probably because I only got into him in the last few years, but I can't imagine him any younger than he is, even when I see old photos!

Stefan, that is a very good point. I won't refute it because you do make sense. I try not to get over-excited about Giacchino or any other new composer on the block (wasn't that a name of a boy band ;)). Time will tell whether he has what it takes. But I think he's off to a decent start. I hear more promise in his compositions than say, Trevor Rabin, who I liked in YES, but that's about it. Hollywood is littered with refuges from pop/rock. Every year it seems we're treated to the ubiquitous Oscar acceptance speech from an aging rock 'n roller saying:

"I never thought I'd be holding this award...I thought my career was over and now [insert film title here] has breathed new life into these songwriting bones. Thank you Academy...."

or something to that effect.

Giacchino at least represents a throw-back to a time when conservatory trained composers were getting jobs rather than guys who wouldn't know a grand staff from a bass cleff were it not for their notation editor on their sequencer of choice. I don't mind that film scoring allows for composers from diverse backgrounds- but we're besieged by a plethora of people who honestly ought to have studied a bit more music before they attempted to write for 80 musicians. If this smacks of elitism, fine- I'll bear that mantle. If it means we can get back to having guys like Broughton, Schifrin, Shire, Yared, etc. working more often than pop rejects, so be it!

Williams will have no equal.

What is Giacchino for me? A composer whose works i will be after when Williams retires.

And well, I would prefer spielberg getting Giacchino than any other.

I hope he has a great career, but i also hope he earns it.

why not let John Williams die, and not have a replacement.

let Giacchino make is own mark, and not be John's replacement, but instead become his own man.

and Luke I appauld what you said

hope he has a great career, but i also hope he earns it.

yes, let Giacchino earn it,

For centuries, at any given point in time there has existed one phenomenal composer who had no equal. Beethoven. Rachmaninoff. You really think great music will come to a halt when Williams isn't scoring films anymore? Please.

well, great pop music came to a halt after the 80's, course it might return someday

For me it's not the "new" John Williams...

Some years ago, I had to say that Joel McNeely was the one, but now is a kind of Goldsmith/Williams mix (I love !!!!).

The new John Williams, in the landscape of the composers of today, it's ALEXANDRE DESPLAT.

When you listen to BIRTH or THE GIRL WITH PEARL EARING you got the same feeling as you listen to a Williams' score.

The theme are so simple and so beautiful you think how the composer wrote it !

Get real.... What's the fuss about "The Incredibles" score?!?! Don't get me wrong I like his work for Medal of Honor and such, and the score for "The Incredibles" works - but nothing more.

Well I suppose all sound is real on some level, no? It's just the Zimmer uses an exceptional amount of synths in his scores. Since they aren't real instruments, they must be fake, eh? ROTFLMAO

But he said fake sound. There's no such thing. ROTFLMAO

And Goldsmith used a lot of Synths does that make his music fake?

Justin - Who thinks Zimmer is using less and less synths.

You have to learn how to use the quick reply. There is a tentative balance that need to be matched. We don't need to see your big bulk signature for every sentence long post. It's a matter of balance you see...like the balance of light and dark. In time you will learn all, young one. cool.gif

Justin

Been listening to Giacchino's work on The Incredibles... and I must say I enjoy it a lot, as well as his work on the Medal of Honor series. To me his music sounds pretty much like a Barry/Elfman/Williams mix :P Pretty much those composers of today I hold most of!

What speaks for Giacchino is that he understands the importance of knowing classical and Jazz music! same as JW does but not many others, sadly... Anyway, I am sure Giacchino will have a great career ahead of him, but as of now I think he won't be as succesful as JW though... and it's bit of his general direction (at mind) when he writes music that will stop him. He don't really want to write in themes, but that's also what makes people remember music (which he pointed out in this interview). Anyway, if Giacchino gets another ten years to develope I hope he'll start a collaboration with Spielberg! I really won't rush to the theaters to see a Spielberg/Zimmer collaboration, that's for sure...

All in all, he's a skilled composer and will get better... but imo, there's no replacement for Williams, as little as there are replacements for Korngold, Steiner and all the other greats who have gone through time and contributed to the film musical scene.

But he said fake sound. There's no such thing. :P

And Goldsmith used a lot of Synths does that make his music fake?

Justin - Who thinks Zimmer is using less and less synths.

I knew someone will take that approach.

I hopelessly hoped anyone would defend the sytn guy.

I was wrong, and dissapointed since i expected morlocks response...

I CHOOSE REAL ORCHESTRA. PERIOD.

HAPPY?