36 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes.
    • No.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*Cough* but anyway....Giacchino has talent...and....Williams....does too...and well...er...you see....uh.... *trails off into silence*

Justin

I have just received the first two Medal of Honor scores, thanks to BuySoundtrax.

I liked the third score a lot, and Weapons Over Normandy was in the same vein. I liked his Jurassic Park game score, and enjoy his Alias scores. The Incredibles is great fun.

The War scores obviously sound very Williamsy. there is no doubt Giacchino is a fine composer.

But the new Williams? (regardless of the "irreplaceable" discussion)

It's much too early to say so, and not a good idea to burden him with that kind of expectation.

The problem I have with these scores is that they are too Williamsy or Barryesque, whatever the reason.

I'd like him to develop his own style, to hear it.

When hearing a sample without knowing what it is nor who wrote it, I'd like to be able to say "it sounds like Giacchino"-- not "it sounds like Giacchino sounding like Williams".

When he achieves this, he can pretend to the title of great composer. Until then, he's a very good one and a good contender.

Another good sign will be if you can say at one point of another composer he's pulling a Giacchino-- though that's not an obligatory condition.

A comparison might be established with Bruce Broughton. He may sound a bit like Williams or Goldsmith at times because he writes in the same idiom, because he's as litterate and skilled as they are-- were, darn it. :| But there's no mistaking his scores for something by either composer, he's immediately identifiable.

Granted, some aspects of Giachhino's music may be as identifiable; but what i know still sounds too much like a pastiche/homage/influence.

These new discs will be the opportunity to revisit his works.

Let me add soemthing, lest it might be thought I'm bashing Giacchino or diminishing his achievements.

I'm playing Medal of Honor. Splendid.

But, brilliant as the composition (themes, orchestration) is, I think it would be a sad thing that such a talented composer be remembered simple as "the guy who wrote great music that sounded like Williams".

I don't think he's intentionally copying Williams' style, rather that he's so impregnated with the music he loves that he jsut naturally emulates it.

Does it amount to 3 cents, now?

Well he was picked by Spielberg in the lost world, but he couldnt use Williams themes, and then he was asked to do MOH to another Spielberg project.

Yes i think he wanted to emulate Williams on that.

BUT, in an interview, he said he and the company making call of duty wanted a harsher approach musically, and then it more atonal and percussion without too much beautiful tunes. Giacchino said he didnt want to, but he couldnt help using the leitmotif technique, becasue that is how he thinks in the music. I thought that was cool, and didnt meant to rip Williams (and since that score in not very Williamesque)