Shawn Murphy

hoby12

Shawn Murphy is JW's mixer and the man is a genious. I believe Willams owes alot of his success and his sound to this man. Only saying this after working with many amatuer mixers who don't actually listen to what is going on in the music but only to the things they need to listen to. (phasing, clicking).

Listen to how well mixed Jurassic Park is, compare it to the other recordings of the suite in concert.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont know AI very well is it bad??

I am looking at the orchestral scores and listening to the mix. And I just think alot of the mixing is just great - I am wondering how much is done on the stand and how much is done at the board. Like how the williams woodwinds/brass fanfares are in great balance. Anyone got any info on that?

Shawn Murphy is one mixer that can take a 100 piece symphony orcehestra and make it sound like a 40 piece orchestra. However, as of late, he has impressed me.... especially on POA and a lot of James Newton Howard's most recent scores. He has been improving but he wouldn't be my first pick to record a score for my movie.

-Erik- Who wishes Williams would go back to using Armin Steiner or Bruce Botnick.

The biggest Shawn Murphy let downs in my life were "Nixon" "The Lost World" and "AI".

These are truly instances in which a more natural sound would have brought out the excellent orchestration.

Rosewood came right before Lost World. I was truly teased by having such a small and minor score treated so much better in recording than such a large and varied one. I forget who recorded Rosewood, but it sounded great, and was the closest acoustic ambience to Jaws and Close Encounters I had heard in a long time.

Shawn Murphy is one mixer that can take a 100 piece symphony orcehestra and make it sound like a 40 piece orchestra.  However, as of late, he has impressed me.... especially on POA and a lot of James Newton Howard's most recent scores.  He has been improving but he wouldn't be my first pick to record a score for my movie.

-Erik- Who wishes Williams would go back to using Armin Steiner or Bruce Botnick.

Because he doesnt work with Giacchino! :P

Any news on his (giacchinos) upcoming works?

Question: is there a way to obtain the incredibles game music?. I have the game, but my sound card is old and doenst play music or voice ;)

I forget who recorded Rosewood, but it sounded great, and was the closest acoustic ambience to Jaws and Close Encounters I had heard in a long time.

Good old Dennis Sands recorded Rosewood. Now there is a collaboration I wish had of continued. Imagine Sands recording all of Williams music? WOW!!!!

-Erik-

MG will be scoring Sky High and The Muppets Wizard of Oz in addition to his duties on his two television series, Alias and Lost.

I imagine some war-related video game will come his way in the near future as well since they can't stay away from him and he can't stay away from them.

Nothing new to report yet! I think he finished Muppet Wizard of Oz and will be working on Sky High soon. As for video game work... I haven't heard a thing.

Question: is there a way to obtain the incredibles game music?. I have the game, but my sound card is old and doenst play music or voice ROTFLMAO

I'm not sure how you can get the music. I have heard the score and it is a great companion piece to the film score. A smaller orchestra mind you but still professionally performed and it sounds great! Hopefully Michael will put some samples on his web site!

-Erik-

Shawn Murphy is one mixer that can take a 100 piece symphony orcehestra and make it sound like a 40 piece orchestra.  However, as of late, he has impressed me.... especially on POA and a lot of James Newton Howard's most recent scores.

He used to be great until the early 90s, there are some great-sounding Horner and Williams albums from that time (Summon the Heroes being one of the best). Then it went downhill, and A.I. couldn't possibly sound any worse than it does. But I agree that he's improving again, Terminal and POA sound very fine, as do the few recent JNHs I've heard.

Marian - who thinks Rosewood might be the best-recorded Williams album.

Good old Dennis Sands recorded Rosewood.  Now there is a collaboration I wish had of continued.  Imagine Sands recording all of Williams music?  WOW!!!!

-Erik-Who wishes Williams would go back to using Armin Steiner or Bruce Botnick

Two of the truest statements of all time.... ROTFLMAO

BKL

I think Williams stopped using Armin Steiner after Home Alone. I can't blame him, it's not a very good sounding album.

Bruce Botnick is the best these days.

Neil

I read somewhere that Williams balances the orchestra himself onstage, almost to the point where Murphy joked, "I'm not pulling down the fader - if he wants the ww quiter he can tell them to play quieter."

I think it was on the new doc for ET, the live performance on the DVD. they also did a great job shooting Murphy without having any, "Oh my god, does he only have one arm!?" shots.

Jason

MG will be scoring Sky High and The Muppets Wizard of Oz in addition to his duties on his two television series, Alias and Lost.

I imagine some war-related video game will come his way in the near future as well since they can't stay away from him and he can't stay away from them.

I know you have been away, but you are speaking one of the three big fans of him in here...

(i was asking if there was news about those worls :P

You guys are so picky.....as usual haha. I think it all sounds pretty good comparing to the other engineers who REALLY suck, the ones I can afford to work with.

You guys are so picky.....as usual haha.  I think it all sounds pretty good comparing to the other engineers who REALLY suck, the ones I can afford to work with.

Tell me some recent soundtrack recordings that sound worse than AI?

Marian - who prefers the sound on his 1935 Captain Blood OST.