• John Debney, The Passion of the Christ
    • James Newton Howard, The Village

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I am in agreeance with Justin, but I didn't vote. Without hearing either Neverland or Snicket, I can't say for sure about either, but it seems like Neverland is an Oscar-bait score. Feel free to correct me if I am in error.

I honestly feel James Newton Howard has a shot at it. After being missed for SIGNS and nominated a few other times, he's due. And recently, the Academy seems to love the infusion of classical-styled scores and composers i.e.

John Corgiliano- The Red Violin

Tan Dun- Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

Elliot Goldenthal- Frida

HOPEFULLY the Academy will take notice to the fact that this may be John William's last Harry Potter score and that maybe he should get an Oscar as, perhaps, an overall accomplishment award. Yeah right. But I honestly think Harry Potter will win. And yes, I thought that for HPSS too... But this is different.

maybe he should get an Oscar as, perhaps, an overall accomplishment award.

Interesting point, so he would be rewarded not necessarily to his contribution to this particular film, but the series as a whole. Sorta like what happened with Return of the Kind, I suppose. I'd be ok with that. :P

Oh and by the way, Lemony Snicket is not a very noteworthy score... It isn't that great at all, so I don't think it has much of a chance.

Oh and dear Harry Potter, that is why I put and I quote: "Yeah right." directly following your oh so eloquent quote taken out of context. And yes, I am quite aware of the "sticking-tounge-out-smiley" to indicate the sarcasm involved with your post. :P

I'm feelin' The Village, somehow. If Williams wasn't nominated, I'd certainly be rooting for JNH.

Ray Barnsbury - who would looove to finally witness JW get an Oscar, but would not be devastated if the award went to JNH instead (or Kaczmarek, I guess)

I'm leaning towards Finding Neverland at this point. Lots of nominations and a weak field in the sense that there's no clear favorite. Having said that, nothing could really surprise me.

- Adam

I think the two frontrunners are HP3 and The Village. But Finding Neverland has support and a general respect there for a talented, somewhat unknown composer. Justfying that over the other two, would be hard or impossible for me though.

The reaction to The Village nom has been very positive, there seems to be a great affection for this score, and has the classical crossover fans, much like The Red Violin did.

Prisoner of Azkaban also has a lot of classical Renaissance influences, that bodes well for it, but will the Academy be biased against Harry Potter and have it in their mind that it's a "cutesy" score? Hopefully not...

(Wish I could be a bird and and see the tallies for each at the end... Ahh, to work for Price Waterhouse...)

Greta

Seeing as "Finding Neverland" is the only score from a Best Picture nominee in this list, it has the best chance. And since it will likely not win anywhere else, it will win here. That's one reason why "The Full Monty" and "The Postman" won.

I'm falling in love with "The Village" score. "HP3" is bringing back some memories I had while hearing it for the first time in the theater, though I'm still mad Peter Pettigrew's theme is nowhere to be heard.

This vote could go either way. And I'd be happy if anyone except Kaczmarek wins. And as said before, he's a newbie, so he might need to boost his credentials before getting an Oscar.

Jeff -- who will still be mad if JW doesn't win, but happy on the outside

I think the two frontrunners are HP3 and The Village. But Finding Neverland has support and a general respect there for a talented, somewhat unknown composer. Justfying that over the other two, would be hard or impossible for me though.  

The reaction to The Village nom has been very positive, there seems to be a great affection for this score, and has the classical crossover fans, much like The Red Violin did.

Prisoner of Azkaban also has a lot of classical Renaissance influences, that bodes well for it, but will the Academy be biased against Harry Potter and have it in their mind that it's a "cutesy" score? Hopefully not...

(Wish I could be a bird and and see the tallies for each at the end... Ahh, to work for Price Waterhouse...)

Greta

But unlike all these scores The Passion made it all the way to Jay Leno's Tonight Show...