London Symphony Orchestra update-EP3

AMVANQUISH007

^Where exactly in Minority Report? I'm trying to find that melody.

Umm, it doesn't exist.

I've been really pleased with these score reports. I had no idea anything so detailed and interesting would be released. Imagine if every major JW score received such treatment! It really does a lot for igniting the board's excitement.

Ray Barnsbury

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone know the cue list in the ANH RCA SE CD? (woah - lotta acronyms!)

I reckon once these articles are all done we should create our own in its likeness.

^Where exactly in Minority Report?  I'm trying to find that melody.

No no it's more that in MR, Johnny clearly goes through a 20th Century contemporain mood with lots of usage of electronics as backing in ways he had never done (the drones) and some parts had references to Reich, Glass, etc... (the part in the end where he adds suspensce with a Hermann/Glass 432123 432123 etc...)

Also, technically, the prequel main titles are different so far. The main title to AOTC is slightly darker and more percussive than the main title to TPM.  Of course this was done through manipulating the sound mix. - Adam

so what,I have about 20 different versions of it already.I do hope the opening bit of the End Credits with the Rebel Fanfare is re-recorded though

K.M.

I don't really understand what the fuss if about the Main Title not being re-recorded. JW used the same recording of the MainTitle (as well as the opening bit of the End Credits) for TPM and AotC. The sound mix was perhaps done slightly different so they fit better overall, but other than that they seem perfect to me. No need to do something over when they're already perfect.

But as someone here mentioned, it would be a completely different thing if JW added chorus to the Main Title. Now THAT would be a killer!!!!

LOL

I splurged for Hyperspace in order to watch some of the recording sessions live. Its not as fancy as I thought, only updates every 20 seconds, but its still fun to see goings on, including Lucas waiting around for about an hour before Williams shows up with his black mock turtleneck.

Anyway, right now, you can see the screen that shows cue running times. But no titles.

01:01:54:21 1M3

01:03:59:29 1M3R

01:04:45:18 1M4

01:06:28:21 1M4A

01:06:32:16 1M5

01:12:22:06 1M6

01:13:12:16 1M7

01:15:26:10 1M8

02:09:30:20 2M1

02:03:03:06 2M2

02:05:30:28 2M3

02:08:30:24 2M4

Right now, they are recording one of the last cues to appear in the film! 7M6, just over a minute in length. This will really help when we try to make sense of the missing bits.

I'll put my two cents in now.

I'm blatehring at the mouth with all this news! I was afraid there'd be too much given away in describing the scoring sessions, but nothing really shocking. We know the final duel was happening, we knew there would be gasp-inducing moments, we knew the relationship between Padme and Anakin would turn tense, we knew Anakin would become Darth Vader. Our Hyperspace reporter is doing a fine job.

I'm excited to hear this nine-note theme in the duel, the foreboding strings, the moment that David has waited 25 years to play. I'm assuming it has to do with the Imperial March, since that theme made its debut 25 years ago.

Jeff

did anyone notice the que titled the Hissy Fit, I wonder who thats about.

I'll put my two cents in now.

... the moment that David has waited 25 years to play. I'm assuming it has to do with the Imperial March, since that theme made its debut 25 years ago...

Witch instrument is David playing?

Witch instrument is David playing?

Horn! The horn!

At least that's my assumption, since David Pyatt is the principal horn in the LSO and we all know what amazing things JW writes for horn in his Star Wars scores.

That one quote got me more excited than anything else I've heard about this movie. Wowie!

To me it's quite obvious from the article that Williams refers to the Leia's theme occurence mentioned afterwards when speaking about what David wanted to play for 25 years.

More slates and timecodes...

15 02:12:09:08 2M6

16 02:16:25:02 2M7

17 03:00:20:16 3M1

19 03:04:36:16 3M2A

18 03:06:21:27 3M2

20 03:07:29:15 3M3

21 03:09:36:22 3M4

22 03:13:09:05 3M5

23 03:17:11:10 3M6

25 03:19:04:23 3M8

24 03:19:28:05 3M7

26 04:00:27:16 4M1X (possibly source music?)

27 04:01:24:22 4M1A

28 04:05:02:22 4M3

33 04:14:15:28 4M6

34 05:00:08:24 5M1

35 05:01:01:28 5M2

36 05:03:50:26 5M3

38 05:05:48:10 5M4

37 05:06:07:10 5M3A

39 05:09:26:13 5M5

40 05:11:28:39 5M6

41 05:19:26:02 5M7

42 06:00:09:08 6M1

43 06:03:02:08 6M2

44 06:04:15:25 6M3

...there was one piece that really stood out today. "David said he's been waiting 25 years to play that," says Williams of one of the horn players.  

With gentle harp accompaniment, we will hear graceful and beautiful quotations from "Princess Leia's Theme" in Episode III.

lol it's amusing to me that so many people have been confused by this.

So they're definitely recording today? Will we get our hyperspace report in the morning??

lol it's amusing to me that so many people have been confused by this.  

So they're definitely recording today? Will we get our hyperspace report in the morning??

I sure the heck hope so, this has been a real treat!

To spare my possible disappointment of how little music will actually get released on CD, I'm going to avoid this reports!

From now on I'm reading only your comments on reports. :)

I hope 'Luke and Leia' theme plays in the movie.

Much better than the two sepparate ones. Unless they use the 1st for birth and 2nd for the separation, that could be cool

Anyway, where is the report today?

Was Johnny lazy today?

I hope 'Luke and Leia' theme plays in the movie.

Much better than the two sepparate ones. Unless they use the 1st for birth and 2nd for the separation, that could be cool

Anyway, where is the report today?

Was Johnny lazy today?

Well it's his birthday so maybe he got drunk Sunday night and was too hungover to work?

Is anyone else confused as to why Williams never wrote a concert version of the Force Theme. It's the most played theme in the entire series (crossing fingers, hoping i'm correct on the assumption), and it's never gotten its full due. I would love to be able to hear a full 6 minute version of this theme incorportated into a grown march.

Is anyone else confused as to why Williams never wrote a concert version of the Force Theme.  It's the most played theme in the entire series (crossing fingers, hoping i'm correct on the assumption), and it's never gotten its full due.  I would love to be able to hear a full 6 minute version of this theme incorportated into a grown march.

Correct you are. And that fact (the most quoted theme in all SW scores) means that it has gotten it's full due IMO. But I'm sure just about all of us would love to hear a concert piece for it.

Perhaps that's what David's been waiting to play for 25 years.

I don't the report was referring to Leia's theme. The idea of saying he waited 25 years to play it was to create excitement among us really. The "gentle harp accompinament" sentence was referring to Leia's theme, not the anticipated horn solo/whatever.

Think about it, why would he be waiting 25 years to play Leia's theme, when most of us are dying to hear a concert version fo the Force theme. I think it's very likely that Williams has arranged it for the final Star Wars movie he will ever score.

Perhaps that's what David's been waiting to play for 25 years.

I don't the report was referring to Leia's theme. The idea of saying he waited 25 years to play it was to create excitement among us really. The "gentle harp accompinament" sentence was referring to Leia's theme, not the anticipated horn solo/whatever.

Think about it, why would he be waiting 25 years to play Leia's theme, when most of us are dying to hear a concert version fo the Force theme. I think it's very likely that Williams has arranged it for the final Star Wars movie he will ever score.

Haha! Hilarious! I'm racking up a huge post-count by explaining this over and over. If this was an English exam, you guys would fail miserably.

The final point of discussion in the Day 2 report says "there was one piece (from the seventh reel) that really stood out today". Pablo (the reporter) then describes this piece. Firstly he mentions how the LSO horn player David Pyatt has waited (roughly, since Star Wars) 25 years to play it. He then describes the accompaniment to the horn, and (some of) the thematic material.

This is one piece he's describing in his closing statements, and it makes sense that this is from the 7th reel since that is roughly when Leia will be born.

The only track that I can think of off hand that sounds like a bombastic approach to the force theme is Throne Room from the end of A New Hope, which then goes quickly into something Elgar-ish.

Oh, this is just speculation, but is it not possible that the opening titles will be silent?

I know the report states that "a pre-existing recording will be used instead" but that could just be the reporter's speculation after seeing no planned recording time for it.

I, personally, think that would be the cleverest and most effective aspect of the entire movie if they decided to do that. Shock us right off the bat as the theatre lights dim. Would make for a unique album release, certainly. I wonder what would best introduce the Sith score if not the main title?

The following was posted on http://supershadow.com/ on February 5th, which at least holds credibility of date, as it was written after two full days of scoring, by a documentarian/editor. He also correctly infers that the scoring process will be complete in a few weeks' time...

"For the past few days, Lucas and I have been going over Revenge of the Sith very carefully. It?s looking pretty good. The only action sequence that Lucas and I have been re-editing is the Anakin vs. Obi-Wan light-saber duel. This is an extremely long duel involving hundreds of intricate moves. We?ve had to work very slowly to get this duel down to perfection. Lucas is proud of what we have accomplished up to this point.

Right now the edit of Revenge of the Sith we are watching does not have John Williams? music added to it.

However, we have been able to hear most of Williams? music score for Revenge of the Sith. Williams? music for this movie is very powerful and moving. It?s some of Williams? best work to date. In a few weeks, we will actually be able to watch Revenge of the Sith with Williams? music. I?m sure this added bonus will make Revenge of the Sith even that much better."

[Oh, and these are the lengths of each reel, minus the length of the final cue in each, courtesy of some guy on the force.net:

reel 1: 15:26

reel 2: 18:26

reel 3: 19:25

reel 4: 14:15

reel 5: 19:25

reel 6: 19:06

reel 7: 13:00

total: 1 hour 59 minutes, plus roughly 4 minutes for each ending cue... it's a 2½ hr movie...]

Oh, this is just speculation, but is it not possible that the opening titles will be silent?

Totally impossible, I;d bet my life on it in fact,

The film is going to open with a similar written scrawl that opened all teh others. The idea of not having the usual music accompany that is I'm sure something only you have thought of ;)

Haha! Hilarious! I'm racking up a huge post-count by explaining this over and over. If this was an English exam, you guys would fail miserably.

The final point of discussion in the Day 2 report says "there was one piece (from the seventh reel) that really stood out today". Pablo (the reporter) then describes this piece. Firstly he mentions how the LSO horn player David Pyatt has waited (roughly, since Star Wars) 25 years to play it. He then describes the accompaniment to the horn, and (some of) the thematic material.

This is one piece he's describing in his closing statements, and it makes sense that this is from the 7th reel since that is roughly when Leia will be born.

You seem very sure of yourself, and I hate to deflate it. But look at the article. The mention of Leia's theme is a new paragraph. If it was still about the horn solo it would be in the same paragraph. It's not. If you were an English teacher you would have been fired. It could very well be regarding something completely different. I'm not saying it definitely is, but I'm saying you need to stop thinking you know more than everyone else because you interpereted the text differently.

Besides, who waits 25 years to hear Leia's theme? As beautiful as it is, the Force theme craps all over it and then some.

MM - Turning into a Star Wars freak. You all saw it coming.

Anyway.....

I did the Lord of the Rings Trilogy with them, and that was stunning. But this?this was a different world. This was John Williams.

Thank you Andrew! ;)

?If Williams doesn?t win an Oscar for this film, I?ll be surprised?

He won't. But THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!

1. I already read those notes and they are just adding to my anticipation to hear this score both in album form and in the film. And every non-spoiler I've heard matches up with every spoiler I've read (AKA, almost the whole script). Only rotten editing can screw this up. And I'm betting it won't.

2. Who the hell cares if they re-use the same TPM recording of The Main Title?! I skip it almost every time I listen to a Star Wars score and listen to everything else (maybe the ESB version, because it's my favorite). I have a million recordings and re-recrodings of the damn thing, and to me, it's unlistenable most times. I bet Williams got sick of recording it. And they don't need it. Better to spend the alotted time on the rest of the score. It's the one part of a Star Wars movie that's always the same and it doesn't really NEED to be heard.

3. How can anybody have anything negative to say yet? They are recording it right now. Now is the time for excitement. Besides, the editing process is a sure bet to be better because they took those duties away from Burtt (Thank God, Lucas, Wild Bill, and whoever else I can thank).

4. This movie doesn't have as many huge digitally animated battles that are vulnerable to constant edits. At least not for the finale. That's where most of the lousy edits take place.

5. Supershadow is a fraud. But he's a creative one. Read his "interviews" with Lucas. They are bogus. He does, however, have a great full script rundown, which is probably very close to accurate. However, the most bogus thing about him is his phony thing where he and a bunch of fans will be allowed, by Lucas, to make Star Wars 7, 8, and 9. And the entire scripts are there. Also, he boasts about scoring so damn much that you know he just isn't getting ANYTHING. LOL

Hey guys, I'm curious if the sheet music mentioned in today's update (the signed sheets from the choral score) has been scanned on this site? That would be a very neat thing to look at! Thank you!

Well, I was going to wait and post the summary for the whole week's worth of reports (or however many we get) this weekend, but since people have been complaining about the spoilers in the main page report, this is for you. :D

Recording report summary: Day 3- 2/7/05- 1st Day with the London Voices

All major spoilers from the report have been invisotexed.

Choral Session

-"Lament"- 5M3. "The most intense expression of feeling...Thickly textured, and wildly passionate...it was beautiful." The cue accompanies a tragic montage of worlds, and the choral passage is similar to those from Return of the Jedi.

-"The Birth of the Twins"- 7M3. The only music mentioned was (big spoilers): "As babies are handed to people, in another location ?the helmet? descends o­nto Anakin?s broken face, to just o­ne chord (minor of course) which builds from p to a deafening fff and back down again." There is a soft statement of Luke's Theme when he is born, followed by the Force Theme. Tears reportedly flowed when this cue was played.

-(mega spoilers)"The Death of Padme"- 7M4. Includes a reprise of a choral track from a previous score. This is probably the reprise of Qui-Gon's funeral music, and includes a soft Imperal March statement.

-"Padme's Funeral"- 7M6. No other info.

-"Palpatine's TV Set"- 3M2A. No other info.

Orchestra only session

-At least part the Battle of Coruscant, actual number of cues unknown.- Unnumbered, but this is the start of the film. The cue heard is described as a cross between The Battle of Hoth and The Battle of Yavin and gets a "Cool!" from Lucas. Includes statements of the Battle Droid March and the Rebel Fanfare. Described as "pure fun" in the Hyperspace report.

-Title unknown, a conversation between Palpatine and Anakin- Unnumbered. Contains a solo for three cellos.

Total number of cues today: At least 5

Total number of cues total: At least 16 out of 59, plus one concert piece

Mega thanks to Andrew Hewitt, who's living a dream right now! :D

Thank you very much John for removing the spoilers. Unluckily it was too late for me, I just had read it all long, so one of the spoilers os no longer one for me (what you called big spoilers). It wasn't that bad with the mega-spoiler because I always thought that fact would happen in episode III, but it is good you hid it.

Next time I'll wait till you clean it of dirty spoliers :D

Thanks for the spoiler-free report, Mr. Chicken-Pulley-Thingie. I've just been skimming them to try to avoid spoilers, but I miss parts of the report that way. Thanks! :D

John, 7M5 is actually Plans for the Twins. Birth of the Twins is probably earlier in the reel.

Reel seven has eight cues in total, including the end title.

In total, John Williams has written fifty-nine cues for the film.

One more observation, hasn't Palpatine been underscored with three cellos before in The Phantom Menace? Specifically the cue Queen and Palpatine, which comes after Coruscant Arrival in the film.

the mega spoiler is not a spoiler at all since the object of discussion is not in Star Wars, and unless some here have never seen Star Wars (oops that would be most) you'd know this by now.

You seem very sure of yourself, and I hate to deflate it. But look at the article. The mention of Leia's theme is a new paragraph. If it was still about the horn solo it would be in the same paragraph. It's not. If you were an English teacher you would have been fired. It could very well be regarding something completely different. I'm not saying it definitely is, but I'm saying you need to stop thinking you know more than everyone else because you interpereted the text differently.

Besides, who waits 25 years to hear Leia's theme? As beautiful as it is, the Force theme craps all over it and then some.

MM - Turning into a Star Wars freak. You all saw it coming.

I didn't mean to offend you - kids like me can be very argumentative sometimes ("we can? cool, thanks Mom!"), but there IS such a thing as a reasoned compromise, where information drawn from an obscurely composed literature, suggesting one thing, outweighs other information that would suggest an opposite meaning, such as the simple paragraph division, which is a common error, mind you - as you said, leading to firing. However, in this case, that information actually reasons to support my argument, as paragraphs can be written in such a way as to add a resonant importance to a (final) sentence.

As for the 25 years thing, leaving personal opinion of comparisons between Leia's and the Force theme aside, the last horn renditions of Leia's theme were in 1977 (ANH) and the Force theme in 1983 (ROTJ), and neither of which are exactly 25 years ago. Since the article mentions only the former, and suggests its regular accompaniment as heard in Star Wars, the reporter's intent becomes quite clear.

Reading those reports I'm unbelivabley thrilled,it looks like what I've been wishing for all along,a Williams score to end all scores.I really hope that chorus track is as great as I expect it to be

K.M.

SWsaga.com has posted a summary of a Hyperspace chat with Rick McCallum. Here's some score related tidbits:

- The music for ROTS will be as epic as Duel of the Fates.

- The music during (possible minor spoiler) the slaughter of Jedi in the temple left Rick most touched. (I'd bet money this is the "Lament" cue mentioned in today's report.)

- No new ROTS music with the theatrical trailer. (No surprise)

He also said the current running time is about 2:13, and that they will not try for PG through editing. If it's PG-13, it's PG-13. And Lucas will be editing until the last minute (no surprise either), and that there are about 500 effects shot left to finish (no way of knowing if it's currently in a state that Williams can write to or not).

There's lots more with some light/middling spoilers here. And I have to say that if there's anyone who's been as disappointed in TF.N lately as I have, all they seem to report on lately is toys and collectibles, check out SWSaga.com. They have a much more liberal spoiler policy, but a lot more real news.