The album of AOTC better than TPM???

Josh500

I've been listening to Attack of the Clones again in the last few days, and I realized that it has way more action pieces -- Zam the Assasin, Jango's Escape, Bounty Hunter's Pursuit, The Arena, and The Conveyor Belt -- than TPM, and they're all top-notch (a given with JW). Also, of course there's the hauntingly beautiful Love Theme.

No question the score suffered in the movie (because of Lucas' constant tinkering), but the new music as heard on the album is, I think, really underrated. The soundtrack also includes the Main Title (duh!), the Force Theme, the Imperial March, Duel of the Fates, the Droid's March, and Anakin's Theme.

I think the OS of AotC is more enjoyable to listen than the OS of TPM.

Can't imagine what the album of RotS might contain!!!

P.S.: Please don't use this thread to bash AotC.

:|

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not bash AOTC? I give three our four posts.

I have to agree with you, though, that the Ep.II album is a more enjoyable listening experience than TPM. Not on the quality of the music, as it seems to me like filler material on more occasions than I'd wish ("Return to Tatooine" comes to mind - a track with many impressive highlights and a lot of useless underscore between them). The themes in it, although used very scarcely, are impressive and serve their function more effectively than in most other scores.

The AotC album is indeed much more enjoyable than the TPM OST, which is a horrible mishmash of cues coming from all over the place. IMO, it's one of Williams most poorly compiled soundtracks, and I hardly ever listen to it (instead I listen to the UE, which includes more music, and is much more listenable, despite the awful edits).

- Marc

I have a soft spot for TPM album. I like the combination of cues. And honestly the whole bonus track/wal-mart/target/screensaver crap shoot really makes me hate the AOTC release. Just put the dang bonus cue on all the CD's you idiots!

Justin - Who'd give the nod to TPM.

I prefer TPM over AOTC, though I like the final track on AOTC, TPM has alot of wonderful stuff thats missing on AOTC. And when I talk of TPM I am refering to the original soundtrack, not the later 2 disc fiasco.

I love the Trade Federation theme, Anakin's theme, and of course Duel of the Fates, I even like Jar Jar's theme, best part about Jar Jar, to bad his character is not as good as his theme.

I don't understand all the negativity towards the TPM OST. I love it! Especially now that we have the film versions to compare it too.

Justin

For people like me who are anal about chronological, TPM's OST is a nightmare. I've never seen so many cues from opposite ends of the film plastered together. Arrival at Coruscant even plays twice!

But yes, it's a good resource for bits that were edited out of the final film and therefore the UE. It's essential if doing an "Ultimate Edit" of TPM.

Both albums are pretty good with their sequencing, but AOTC is better in that department. Both albums have worse recording quality than the Harry Potter movies in my opinion.

I was appreciating AOTC music very much recently, as time tends to heal its wounds. I really do wish Lucas and Williams would spend some time recording 12 minutes for AOTC's battle of Geonosis.

I prefer the TPM OST, I can listen to it straight through most of the time. I haven't listened to AOTC from beginning to end since the day I bought it. Love Pledge & Arena is a dull action cue, Chase through Coruscant gets boring after the 4:30 mark, and I can't even tell you the last time I tried to listen to Yoda and the Younglings, Departing Coruscant, Anakin and Padme or Meadow Picnic.

However, I do LOVE all of the other tracks on AOTC. So, AOTC is half of a good album at least.

Jeff

Love Pledge & Arena is a dull action cue, Chase through Coruscant gets boring after the 4:30 mark, and I can't even tell you the last time I tried to listen to Yoda and the Younglings, Departing Coruscant, Anakin and Padme or Meadow Picnic.  

Having memorized Love Pledge and the Arena, it entertains me almost as much as Desert Chase. Coruscant Chase? Brilliant all the way through. Younglings, simple, yet beautiful. Not to say every cue is as good as Azkaban, but it approaches that quality throughout. Perhaps something else is expected of Star Wars and that gets in the way.

I prefer TPM UE. I love the way you can tell what's happening on screen in the last tracks with the 3-4 layers of action being shifted from time to time. When I listen to AotC I like it, I think it's a good score, but I expected more from a SW score. I also expected more from a SW movie :roll:

I hope Episode III is more inspiring for Williams. That, combined with the fact that he will use some of the best themes from the saga gives me hope to have a great score.

I prefer TPM UE. I love the way you can tell what's happening on screen in the last tracks with the 3-4 layers of action being shifted from time to time.

Am I to understand that you LIKE the way Lucas butchered The Battle For Naboo part of the TPM score?

Prequel score releases:

1. TPM Chrusherpromo 3CDR (EJ's edit, Takiss edit, my edit, film edit, and all known alternates all... my fave to listen to any version of my choice!)

2. TPM UE 2 CD (Edits are a little annoying, but the sound quality is as divine as a CD can get, and even with it's nasty edits, it still supplied a ton of great previously unreleased music.)

3. AOTC Chrushepromo 2CDR (Despite the liberal amount of SFX in the unreleased portions, I love how it flows overall... a pity that Lucas blocked the real/legit release according to rumor.)

4. AOTC 1CD (It does contain most of the best parts... but wofeully inadequate in a few really great pieces - The Dark Side Takes Root/Shmi's Funeral, and Yoda Strikes Back... unsliced by crappy film edits!!!!

5. TPM 1 CD Although I loved it when it first came out, it's waste of space (Arrival on Coruscant, Duel of The Fates, and Anakin's Theme EACH played identically twice! EACH!!! On a 74-77 minute release?! With like an hour of additional music unreleased?! AARGH!), in addition to it's complete lack of chronological flow (or album flow... SW and ESB 2-LPs weren't all that chronological either... but had great flow to them), means it gets my worst prequel CD vote.

Still take it over any Potter. Heeheheh... ;)

The Arena, to me, just sounds like Williams on auto-pilot.

I've heard this about AOTC from many people and I find it hard to believe because I love it so much. Yet, I always think that all three Potter scores are like Williams on auto-pilot. Especially when Williams took AOTC music and put it in COS with very little altering. I guess it's taste... AOTC hit the mark for me and the Potters didn't.

I prefer TPM UE. I love the way you can tell what's happening on screen in the last tracks with the 3-4 layers of action being shifted from time to time.

Am I to understand that you LIKE the way Lucas butchered The Battle For Naboo part of the TPM score?

Oh my hell there's someone that likes the U.E. of TPM what ever shall we do!? Has it ever occured to there maybe people out there like me and deimos that like the U.E. of TPM? Besides you who really gives a rat ass if we like it or not? We don't attack you for something you like. If you don't like that people do actually like the U.E. of TPM oh fricken well, get over yourself and get a damn life.

Oh my hell there's someone that likes the U.E. of TPM what ever shall we do!? Has it ever occured to there maybe people out there like me and deimos that like the U.E. of TPM? Besides you who really gives a rat ass if we like it or not? We don't attack you for something you like. If you don't like that people do actually like the U.E. of TPM oh fricken well, get over yourself and get a damn life.

WOW! LOL Some people love that edit, I guess! Hell, I like it too. The only thing I was mad about is when it first came out and I wanted "every note John Williams composed for The Phantom Menace" as they promised... and we kind of got an isolated score instead. That was what I was all pissed about. Other than that, I too, don't mind having that film edit.

chris, are you even capable of discussing Star Wars without attacking Harry Potter, I swear there is some serious envy there.

The UE is the most insulting and disrespectful John Williams release ever. Period.

Neil - who remembers Trent's vow to never post here again :D

I've heard this about AOTC from many people and I find it hard to believe because I love it so much. Yet, I always think that all three Potter scores are like Williams on auto-pilot. Especially when Williams took AOTC music and put it in COS with very little altering. I guess it's taste... AOTC hit the mark for me and the Potters didn't.

You find it hard to believe that I have my own opinion about a piece of music that differs from your own opinion? I'm not stopping you from enjoying any cue off of any album. Potter has nothing do with this topic, I like the TPM album better than AOTC and I merely stated why. I have my opinions on the Potter scores and there are tracks I like and dislike from each Potter score, but that is irrelevant to this topic. I also haven't listen to CMIYC since the movie was in theaters, but that too is irrelevant to this topic.

Jeff

1. TPM Chrusherpromo 3CDR (EJ's edit, Takiss edit, my edit, film edit, and all known alternates all... my fave to listen to any version of my choice!)

Feh...wait 'til you hear my edit. It'll be the most accurate, complete, and best-sounding...really. Just have to actually put it together. :P

By the way - I read a while back that an Oscar promo of AotC leaked a few weeks early...and it didn't have that bad hiss. Is this true, or am I imagining things?

You find it hard to believe that I have my own opinion about a piece of music that differs from your own opinion? I'm not stopping you from enjoying any cue off of any album. Potter has nothing do with this topic, I like the TPM album better than AOTC and I merely stated why. I have my opinions on the Potter scores and there are tracks I like and dislike from each Potter score, but that is irrelevant to this topic. I also haven't listen to CMIYC since the movie was in theaters, but that too is irrelevant to this topic.

Jeff

No personal attack on you Jeff. I mean that I find it hard to believe that so many people dn't like that score. I loved it when it first came out, but was a little disappointed. But then I listened to it over and over and I appreciated it more. If that's just me, it's fine.

As always, I bash Potter in a mockery of how so many bash almost anything post-1977-theatrical-Star-Wars. I should add, "Joe are you even capable of discussing anything with out attacking Star Wars?"

Neil: "The UE is the most insulting and disrespectful John Williams release  

ever. Period."

Yet Lucas, Sony, and supposedly Williams okayed it? Sure, it wasn't sequenced as great as the Special Editions, but to completely throw it away is just being spiteful. I'll take it. Despite it's obvious flaws, it's worthy of owning. Even if they released the same thing with AOTC (which would be FAR more hacked than the UE), I'd still get it because it would contain a treasure trove of sweet unreleased music, and probably better sound quality than the album.

Yet Lucas, Sony, and supposedly Williams okayed it? Sure, it wasn't sequenced as great as the Special Editions, but to completely throw it away is just being spiteful. I'll take it. Despite it's obvious flaws, it's worthy of owning. Even if they released the same thing with AOTC (which would be FAR more hacked than the UE), I'd still get it because it would contain a treasure trove of sweet unreleased music, and probably better sound quality than the album.

No one said we should not get it, Chris.

And I do not believe Williams really thinks that this is a good CD release.

I should add, "Joe are you even capable of discussing anything with out attacking Star Wars?"  

why don't you make another poll and find out?

I actually was listening to both TPM and AOTC in the car today, I still think TPM is a better cd, I think Anakin's theme is brilliant, and its the best part of AOTC at the end of the last track, not because its the last track mind you, no cheap shots tonight thank you, I just love John's usage in both films. I'm torn between it and Duel as to which is the best theme of the prequels and I am leaning towards Anakin's theme.

I only listen to TPM for the complete Duel of the Fates. Otherwise I'm quite happy with the UE. Disk one is great. Disk two has it's problems, but at least we get to hear Qui Gon's theme and a wealth of other great music that wasn't on the original CD.

As for the AOTC CD, I just don't like it. The music does nothing for me. It's the only Star Wars film where I think the film is better than the score. And let's face it, the film isn't exactly a masterpiece.

No personal attack on you Jeff. I mean that I find it hard to believe that so many people dn't like that score. I loved it when it first came out, but was a little disappointed. But then I listened to it over and over and I appreciated it more. If that's just me, it's fine.

But I do enjoy AOTC very much, half of it anyway. I just skip the aforementioned tracks most of the time. I love Jango's Escape and Bounty Hunter Pursuit (solid action cues), the love theme is great and works wonderfully in the film.

There are lots of great moments on the album, when the Droid March is heard and the segueway from the Force Theme into Duel of the Fates is spine-tingling. In fact, when I listen to the original Star Wars score and the big statement of the Force theme I half expect DOTF to follow it.

Confrontation With Dooku and Finale is my favorite cue off the album, it reminds me so much of ESB. I really think it might be leftover ESB material or something, it is just so great. I love the vocal solo, the tension, the buildup to Vader's Theme and the segueway into the love theme.

But since, oh I don't know, about the mid-90s Williams action writing has gotten stale. There are a number of action cues (not all, but a few) that just don't excite me in any way. Visitor In San Diego (from Lost World), The Chess Match (from the first Potter), Meeting Aragog (from the second Potter), and, unfortunately, the first Star Wars action cue to induce me to sleep, The Arena.

As always, I bash Potter in a mockery of how so many bash almost anything post-1977-theatrical-Star-Wars. I should add, "Joe are you even capable of discussing anything with out attacking Star Wars?"

I know, it's quite unfortunate that at a John Williams website you can't hold a good intelligent discussion about Star Wars prequel music without the SAME comments EVERY DAMN TIME. If you show any interest, enthusiasm, or appreciation of the prequels in any way you are looked upon as a lower life form and your opinion is considered invalid.

Jeff - who expects to be chastised for remarks regarding the Force theme and DOTF in ANH, oh and for calling Star Wars ANH just now

its funny that you and khris seem to be the only ones whining.

I've said nothing negative about either score in this thread.

I know, and it's been nice. :) Thank you.

You consider a desire to have a good discussion to be whining? Would you rather the topic turn to the usual insults and Lucas hate-fests? That's funny, because I consider the endless prequel-bashing to be whining. I'm rather surprised no one has done it yet. But we haven't even hit the 30 post mark yet though... give it time.

Jeff - who hopes he is wrong :roll:

Jeff - who expects to be chastised for remarks regarding the Force theme and DOTF in ANH

Duel of the Fates is not in that movie.

I didn't say it was in the movie I said that... "when I listen to the original Star Wars score and the big statement of the Force theme I half expect DOTF to follow it."

It's a credit to Williams that music he wrote 20+ years after the original fits hand in hand with Star Wars so naturally that I sometimes think of a prequel theme here or there when listening to the OT. I thought some of the "purists" would be offended by that.

Jeff

I know, it's quite unfortunate that at a John Williams website you can't hold a good intelligent discussion about Star Wars prequel music without the SAME comments EVERY DAMN TIME.  If you show any interest, enthusiasm, or appreciation of the prequels in any way you are looked upon as a lower life form and your opinion is considered invalid.

Possibly the greatest summary of the state of Star Wars discussion here ever written. Kudos. :|

John- glad the Ep. III recording session thread has been able to buck this trend so far.

I know, and it's been nice. :| Thank you.

You consider a desire to have a good discussion to be whining? Would you rather the topic turn to the usual insults and Lucas hate-fests? That's funny, because I consider the endless prequel-bashing to be whining. I'm rather surprised no one has done it yet. But we haven't even hit the 30 post mark yet though... give it time.

Jeff - who hopes he is wrong :roll:

again, whose whining, I've made positive comments about both scores, perhaps you should reserve you comments for another thread.

I am proud of you Joe! :mrgreen: You have said postive things about a prequel score and no bashing! :eek: That's all we ask since we know your feelings! :|

Perhaps Joe and Neil should meet us prequel-likers in the middle. Tell us what you DO like about those oh-so-dreaded prequels? Then maybe I'll post what I do like about Potter! LOL :|

Tell us what you DO like about those oh-so-dreaded prequels?

The themes:

Anakin's Theme

Duel of the Fates

Trade Federation March

Qui-Gon's Theme

Across the Stars

Kamino/Mystery Motif

and that's only 2 out of 3 movies

As a soundfreak I have great trouble listening to the normal TPM edition. The later added artificial reverb and the term Star Wars don't mix too well in my book. That's why I infinitely prefer the UE. Yes, the album is cue-ish but so is every other special edition these days (Jaws, CE3K). I seldom listen to AOTC. John's action style is a bit lost on me. It tends to get too much cartoonish (read: mickey mousing) lately. Maybe I still need to give it a few more auditions.

----------------

Alex Cremers

I never used to like Anakins Theme all that much, but I'm starting to like it more and more lately. That's really odd for a piece of music to take so long to grow on me.

I hope we hear it again in ROTS. I'd really like to hear a statement of Anakins theme that turns into Darth Vader's theme, not just hinting at it.

what I like about TPM,

of the two prequels, I think it has the better score. I love DotF, Anakin's theme, Jar Jars Theme, the Trade Federation Theme, track 15 of the original soundtrack(can't remember the title). Its a very good score.

about the movie, I like the look of the film, it was an advancement of special effects, it was beautifully shot, sounded great, and had some interesting battles

things I liked about AOTC,

I really like the last track on the AOTC soundtrack

the film played great the first time I saw it, great midnight crowd, we each fed vicariously off each other.

I liked that I only paid $9 bucks new for the DVD(I wish all new dvd's were so cheap). I liked Anakin killing the Sand People, it was an intense and important sequence. I loved the opening, in TPM we had an SR71 style spaceship, this time we have a B-2 bomber type space ship.

Some of you guys keep going on and on about JW being on auto-pilot, but you must realize that there is NO such thing!!! You think that JW watches the movie, sits down at his piano, and the music writes itself? I think you have to give him a little more credit than that. If some cues sound a bit similiar to what it's done before, is it any wonder? For instance, JW wrote AotC, CoS, and Minority Report in one year. There was a scene involving someone attacked on a conveyor belt in a factory in MR as well as in AotC. Not only that, there was a scene involving creepy-crawly spiders chasing after our heroes in MR as well as CoS!!! So is it any wonder that the music sounds a bit similar at times???

Also, you have to understand that JW has been writing film music consistently for nearly 40 years. Some cues sound similar, big deal. But no way he's on autopilot (whatever that word means if we're not talking about aircraft). Writing for film is hard work, as has been mentioned on this site before, and his music always serves the particular scenes wonderfully. That's what matters, don't you think???

Getting back to the topic of AotC, I think the album contains some of the best action pieces ever. Regarding The Arena, I love the brief section of frenetic strings starting at 7:59. I've never heard something like that in a JW score before!!!!

:happybday:

Tell us what you DO like about those oh-so-dreaded prequels?

There are only three of them.

Justin

:happybday::thumbup::PROTFLMAOROTFLMAOROTFLMAOROTFLMAO LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Neil - ROTFLMAO

P.S. I like the music in TPM and....well the music in TPM is really good.