So...The New WotW Trailer???

SturgisPodmore

What did you think of the new War of the Worlds TV spot aired during the Superbowl?  

26 members have voted

1. 1.

• Oh. My. God. I CAN'T WAIT!!!!
    • Hmm . . . looks okay, we'll wait and see.
    • Looks awful!
    • I didn't see it.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I'd vote for option 1 no matter what as I am very excited about both the movie and the score. :devil:

As for the trailer itself, as I said before I think the best thing is that they're avoiding ID4's mistake of showing so much in the trailers that the film's main scenes are rendered meaningless by the time you actually see the movie. I'd be very satisfied if we see nothing of substance, especially no aliens, until we see the movie.

Its not cg, its an old highway line scheduled for demolition that the film crew put to good use. I am lying of course, but someone will believe it, Joe preparing for April Fools

Pretty cool spot. In that it makes me want to watch the film. And hear the score.

Oh, and this is at the bottom of the link above, in case you haven't looked there (despite it being very blatant):

footer.gif

It looked great, though I was hoping for something longer! I really wonder what the film's going to be like....it doesn't look very ID4-ish from what we've seen.

Ray Barnsbury

with the awesome power of destruction the aliens display its going to have to come

down to those microbes again? We sure won't be able to beat their technology, gee

doesn't that sound familiar?

Is the "other" WOTW movie still coming out this year? I believe an independent company is also making WOTW, but as a Victorian drama, more true to the book. They started their film long before Spielberg's. Shame as it's sure to be dwarfed by it.

Im not able to see it yet, as I live in the other part of the Ocean, but...are we sure JW will score this movie?

It's my Roald part that's asking that.

LOL Ditto, here. I think we all have a Roald part deep inside us.

As for the trailer itself, as I said before I think the best thing is that they're avoiding ID4's mistake of showing so much in the trailers that the film's main scenes are rendered meaningless by the time you actually see the movie. I'd be very satisfied if we see nothing of substance, especially no aliens, until we see the movie.

I agree with you there. While we're on the subject, the trailer for PoA was also done very well, I think. We never actually saw the werewolf or even Buckbeak (except for a brief shot of him flying in the distance). So I was completely baffled when I saw these creatures for the first time in the theater.

Batman Begins  

yawn, yawn,

And YAWN.

BTW, the WOTW trailer was 'ok'. I'm excitted about the movie, but the trailer was not all that interesting. DF and TC are in interesting pair however.

Pretty cool.

BTW, that Batman Begins spot has a nice little shot in there of the Scarecrow. :)

Loved the WOTW trailer but liked the Batman trailer more for the scarecrow shot.

Liam Neeson is going to have a great line in the movie

"Bruce I will now teach you the ways of the Jedi.... I mean Batman"

Edit: If you look at the first few frames of the bridge sequence in the WOTW spot, you can see the alien green energy beams hitting the bridge and throwing it up.

I thought the trailer was pretty unimpressive, at least on a television screen in a very loud room. I do agree with several other posters (both here and in other threads) that the publicity people should continue to exercise restraint and not blow the load too soon. I don't want to see ANY aliens until the last ten minutes of the movie. And I don't want to see the ships until I'm actually in the theatre. But why oh why is Spielberg using Tom Cruise again? I guess Richard Dreyfuss and Roy Scheider are just too old. Where have all the good Spielbergian anti-heroes gone (not Tom Hanks)? I'm not too fond of this little Boys' Club they've got going.

I also didn't think much of WOTW trailer. The CGI or lack thereof looked pretty flat but I'm still very much excited about this film. And I'm VERY hyped about the Williams score. Moreso than anything else coming out this summer. Except Shore's King Kong but that's later this year.

As for BAtman Begins, if James Newton Howard disposes of the hack he's been saddled with, then I could be excited about the score. Otherwise I think it will be a horrid mess. Wish Howard would apply the techniques he used on his last "vigilante" film (hint see below)

NP- Falling Down

I wonder if Williams will use a chorus for this score. We don't know a whole lot specifically about the film, but it seems like a grand chorus may be appropriate (it worked well in the trailer, anyhow). Personally, I'd love to hear it. Maybe along the lines of how he used it in PoA.

Ray Barnsbury

You mean like in "The Patronus Light?"

I would really like to hear chorus work in WotW, too. I picture the score's action tracks to be very string-and-horn-oriented, like "Quidditch, Third Year" and "The Whomping Willow." from POA. Chorus along the same bombastic lines as "Duel of the Fates" would be very welcome in this score!

~Sturgis