Most Overrated Williams Scores

John Crichton

Is there a Williams score out there that everyone but you seems to love? Is there one that no matter how many good things you hear about it, it just doesn't work for you? Well, this is the thread to let it all out.

Personally there's one score I've always found to be very overrated: Jurassic Park. I love Journey to the Island, the cue and the theme, but other than that there's nothing in the score that grabs me or that I can say I really enjoy listening to.

John- hoping this won't get too ugly. :)

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally there's one score I've always found to be very overrated: Jurassic Park. I love Journey to the Island, the cue and the theme, but other than that there's nothing in the score that grabs me or that I can say I really enjoy listening to.

That and Hook.

Neil

The Empire Strikes Back, a great score, top 15 actually, but not worthy of the enormous praise it gets here.

The Empire Strikes Back, a great score, top 15 actually, but not worthy of the enormous praise it gets here.

I feel the same way about ET.

John- who's love for Hook is well known. :)

The action writing in JP is outstanding, among Williams' best.

Most overrated? Sabrina seems to be somewhat popular here.

Marian - who has listened to it two or three times.

:) Stagecoach (Jerry Goldsmith)

The action writing in JP is outstanding, among Williams' best.

Most overrated? Sabrina seems to be somewhat popular here.

Marian - who has listened to it two or three times.

:) Stagecoach (Jerry Goldsmith)

A.I. and Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. The latter is good but not great to my ears, the former puts me to sleep.

That's a very unique point of view for one of Williams' most famous and successful soundtracks. If you were there (consiously) in 1982 you would understand that E.T. is in fact a milestone. I mean, Star Wars, Supes, Raiders and E.T. made a living legend out of John Williams. Back then, almost everyone (yes, even die hard, non-film music fans too) could hum those themes. It's one of those rare occasions that film music lived a life on its own, outside the film theater. It kinda makes no sense to say that one of these is overrated. They're the "untouchables". I'm sure that one day, when your shield is lowered, you'll understand.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Heh, I was thinking about this just today as I was listening to this score:

Jaws.

It's one of the greatest movie themes in history, without a doubt. Effective in the film? Most certainly. But the score itself just doesn't do much for me.

Jurassic Park is one of my favorite JW scores, and don't find it overrated at all. On the contrary, I think it needs more accolades. It was overshadowed by the more successful Schindler's List later that same year, but I think it's one of his hidden treasures. It has two memorable themes, and a handfull of great tracks like My Friend, the Brachiosaurus and Remembering Petticoat Lane that are great stand alone tracks. Overrated? Hardly!

I don't know how widely accepted Empire of the Sun is, but I never found much enjoyment from listening to the CD.

I agree, Justin. Far and Away is an absolutely beautiful score.

That's a very unique point of view for one of Williams' most famous and successful soundtracks. If you were there (consiously) in 1982 you would understand that E.T. is in fact a milestone. I mean, Star Wars, Supes, Raiders and E.T. made a living legend out of John Williams. Back then, almost everyone (yes, even die hard, non-film music fans too) could hum those themes. It's one of those rare occasions that film music lived a life on its own, outside the film theater. It kinda makes no sense to say that one of these is overrated. They're the "untouchables". I'm sure that one day, when your shield is lowered, you'll understand.

Yes, John, your opinion is worthless. ;)

~Sturgis, who loves E.T., but allows for differences of opinion

That's a very unique point of view for one of Williams' most famous and successful soundtracks. If you were  there (consiously) in 1982 you would understand that E.T. is in fact a milestone. I mean, Star Wars, Supes, Raiders and E.T. made a living legend out of John Williams. Back then, almost everyone (yes, even die hard, non-film music fans too) could hum those themes. It's one of those rare occasions that film music lived a life on its own, outside the film theater. It kinda makes no sense to say that one of these is overrated. They're the "untouchables". I'm sure that one day, when your shield is lowered, you'll understand.

What makes you think I have any shields up? I've listened to the score many times on CD, I've heard it inside the film, and I stand by what I said. There are moments in the score that are wonderful, but as a whole it's not the best of the best IMO. And maybe it's better than I'm not judging it by what was thought of it at the time, but by just the music and movie I see today. I was only 3 in 1982 and so have no memory of the state of film music at that time. I agree that ET was one of the scores that launched Williams into what he is today, but I don't get as much out of it as the other scores you listed, as well as several others that I enjoy more. Simple as that.

John- who thought Alex didn't care what the general public thought.

I could never get into Close Encounters of the Third Kind. And I do enjoy The Lost World as an above-average action score, but I do not find it to be the masterpiece many here claim.

I do enjoy The Lost World as an above-average action score, but I do not find it to be the masterpiece many here claim.

I've never heard this, especially when compared to the first score for the original Jurassic Park. Although not all will agree with that assessment, possibly someone named J. Crichton....no no that's too obvious, for now we'll just call him John C.

I have yet to find the complete and utter brilliance that some seem to find in The Fury, and I hardly ever listen to Schindler's List, as it's not really my kind of music. I also have a hard time listening to Superman. I think it's brilliant, yes, but not a score where you can just sample a few cues. You have to listen to it in full.

- Marc

Not overrated but underrated:

The Collector's Edition of Close Encounters of the Third kind

It's been a while since I've been so impressed by a soundtrack. The sound is also ridiculously good. Nobody here (in Potterland) talks about it so that makes it the most underrated Williams score in JWfan.net's history!

----------------

Alex Cremers

IMO, there's really no John Williams score that's overrated. But if I had to choose one, it would be PoA. I know many of you seem to ESPECIALLY love this score, but I find SS and CoS just as good. So yes, PoA is overrated. Wait, no, that's actually not true. SS and CoS are UNDERRATED!!! So no, really, there's no score by JW that's overrated. My two cents.

;)

P.S. I think Jurassic Park and Hook deserve all the praise they get, and then some!!!

I love things about every John Williams score, but my overrated ones are all three Harry Potter scores. They're ok but all the craziness, like the movies and books, is just so odd to me. At least for anybody over 10-12 years old.

Alothough the more subtle scores (Presumed Innocent, Accidental Tourist, Stanley & Iris, Stepmom, Sabrina) don't get me all excited (in otherwords, I almost never listen to them after the initial few days of buying them), I'm glad that many others love them. It sows how Williams music can reach different tastes.

However, I disagree with the entire question. It should be re-phrased as something like, "Which scores are overrated accoding to your tastes?" People who rate art for everybody are silly, IMO... movies, music, art, whatever it may be. Art is relative and completely dependant to the person's tastes. Tastes can change, and most are wildly different from person to person. One person's masterpiece is garbage to the next. Most people wouldn't be caght dead listening to film music outside of a movie, and I met some who think it shouldn't even exist in favor of rock songs and such. It's funny that I always notice that people who believe so vividly in rating art on some sort of solid stone scale that is undebatable are the same people who believe things like (for example) reality and/or truth is relative, and vice versa. That's the odd thing to me.

I love things about every John Williams score, but my overrated ones are all three Harry Potter scores. They're ok but all the craziness, like the movies and books, is just so odd to me. At least for anybody over 10-12 years old

really your constant critisism gets old, because since you've never read them, you have no idea,

I love things about every John Williams score, but my overrated ones are all three Harry Potter scores. They're ok but all the craziness, like the movies and books, is just so odd to me. At least for anybody over 10-12 years old

really your constant critisism gets old, because since you've never read them, you have no idea,

Joe, why don't you start a poll to express your feelings? :D

Neil

Well, I TOTALLY agree with Chris on this.

By the way; is there such a thing as an overrated score? I was trying to think of an example, but couldn't find any.

If any score is overrated on this board based on the posts I would have to say The Lost World. But it's surely is not overrated by general film music listeners who hardly ever praise (or critisize) that score.

Joe, why don't you start a poll to express your feelings? :D

Neil

I wouldnt like Joe Banned a week, would you?

I said it, trigger happy, you are... :roll:

I wouldnt like Joe Banned a week, would you?  

Luke, thats the nicest thing anyones ever said to me.

I have yet to find the complete and utter brilliance that some seem to find in The Fury

Fury isn't overrated. It's vastly underrated.

Agreed.

Marian - who might listen to it later tonight.

:D Jaws

The first Harry Potter I think is a bit overrated. But not by much. As it is said before, it is hard for fans of his to answer this question easily. This question would be more valid on a more general bbs for film music.

It's been a while since I've been so impressed by a soundtrack. The sound is also ridiculously good. Nobody here (in Potterland) talks about it so that makes it the most underrated Williams score in JWfan.net's history!

----------------

Alex Cremers

its certainly the most underappreciated score he's written. Its pure genius.

And it's one of his favorites.

Chris, like Joe said, if you haven't read the books or seen the movies, then you can't say you don't see why everyone likes them. After all you can't say you dislike them if you've never read them.

~Sturgis

As I've stated here before, Jurassic Park absolutely gives me a headache. If not for a few jaunty passages and "My Friend, the Brachiosaurus," I would probably never listen to it. I certainly can't get through from beginning to end without feeling as if I've had my ears bludgeoned. It's almost as bad as The Patriot.

I fall squarely in the "Jaws, Close Encounters, and E.T. are pure genius" camp. I noticed this bizarre split in another thread recently. I can't believe there are actually people here who don't really care for these three classic scores. Johnny never wrote finer -- and, at the risk of initiating a philosophical argument, that's more than a merely subjective appraisal.

The Empire Strikes Back, Joe? You ought to be ashamed of yourself. :P

And may I add, what an interesting choice of topic for Williams' brithday. Eesh.

Scores I find overrated are:

Schindler's List (It just doesn't work for me at all as a listening experience)

Jaws

Superman (I've got the complete score on my computer, but haven't listened to it once since I got it.)

Stuff I listen to a lot but doesn't seem to be liked by many:

Amistad

Saving Private Ryan

RotJ (I recently got hold of all 2cd special editions and have a new respect for the SW sequels - I especially love the ewok music, and the force theme is one of the best damn themes John has ever come up with :music: )

As for the Patriot controversy - I used to think this was a great score, but I haven't felt compelled to listen to it recently, and tbh it sounds like really any decent composer could have come up with much of it :P

Jaws; half the cues are practically the same. Of course, it works wonders in the film, and there are plenty of classic moments, but...overrated.

I never read them because I'm 30 years old. If I was a parent seeing someone over 12 reading a Potter book, I'd keep my kids a far distance from them. It's kinda' spooky.

I have listened to the scores. I find them good, but personally overrated because to me they feel like Williams on auto-pilot. I have seen the movies and I feel like they are decent movies but extremely overrated. These are my personal feelings however, I don't expact everyone else to share them, and most don't.

I, however, do not hate Harry Potter, nor am I envious of it's popularity (what a silly assumption). I'll note that my constant attacks on Harry Potter are nothing short of a mockery of both Joe and Neil (among others, but you two take the cake) because you do the same exact thing to "ANYTHING-post- 1977-Theatrical-version-of-Star-Wars!!!-GOD-FORBID-THEY-ARE-CALLED-EPISODE-4-A-NEW-HOPE!!! AAAHHH!!" God forbid the prints are cleaned and old deleted footage is installed! GASP!!! It's fine that you guys feel that way, but it's so not cool to go bash everyone who happens to like them.

I liked the prequels alot. I love the prequel scores. I love the DVD versions of the OT. I find the original versions of the OT unwatchable since the DVD versions came out. Yeah I'd like them cleaned up too, but they weren't... so who cares? Whining and crying about it isn't going to do anything about it and constant bashing of these things on a John Williams message board is utter nonsense. You know how many people write me emails saying, "What's up with Neil and Joe? Why do they have to attack Star Wars so much"? How do I know... I'm not them and I'm also not the moderator. Some have told me that they don't post here anymore because of mainly all the Star Wars bashing (including one prominent member a few years ago). Sometimes I feel like that too, but it's still the best place for John Williams news and Star Wars score news and I'm grateful for that.

Joe, why don't you start a poll to express your feelings?  :P

Neil

Shouldn't you just ban yourself? Isn't this a personal attack?

Besides, that said poll was supposed to be a mockery of Joe's infamous and unwarranted attacks on some of my favorite movies and scores. You guys took it the wrong way and it only shows that you guys are good at dishing it out but you sure as hell can't take it.

Besides, that said poll was supposed to be a mockery of Joe's infamous and unwarranted attacks on some of my favorite movies and scores. You guys took it the wrong way and it only shows that you guys are good at dishing it out but you sure as hell can't take it.

Ummm yeah, not so much. Had you made a poll attacking Joe's favorite movies and scores, instead of Joe himself, there would've been no reason for your banning.

Ray Barnsbury

That's a very unique point of view for one of Williams' most famous and successful soundtracks. If you were  there (consiously) in 1982 you would understand that E.T. is in fact a milestone. I mean, Star Wars, Supes, Raiders and E.T. made a living legend out of John Williams. Back then, almost everyone (yes, even die hard, non-film music fans too) could hum those themes. It's one of those rare occasions that film music lived a life on its own, outside the film theater. It kinda makes no sense to say that one of these is overrated. They're the "untouchables". I'm sure that one day, when your shield is lowered, you'll understand.

----------------

Alex Cremers

The same can be said, and has been said about Jurassic Park.

And may I add, what an interesting choice of topic for Williams' birthday.  Eesh.

LOL so true. I guess we're just getting it out of our system before we get into his 2005 trifecta. But starting the thread today would have been slightly more tasteful... :P

Jane Eyre. Although it has some very nice moments for the most part I think it's all rather silly, and very poorly recorded. The string quartet is a horrible pastiche. Williams has gone on record I believe stating that it's one of his favourite scores. I can't think why. It's quite nice, but come on!

Well, I TOTALLY agree with Chris on this.  

By the way; is there such a thing as an overrated score? I was trying to think of an example, but couldn't find any.

That is always a dangerous thing to say.

What is?

-Chris, Who's had to log in 7 times to post this... what's up with that?

Most overrated:

The Lost World. Island adventure theme,skip,skip,the Hunt,skip,skip,skip....The stegausaurus..skip,skip...Finale.

Most underrated by far while I'm at it:

Spacecamp.

K.M.

Overrated:

(1) Schindler's List

(2) A.I. Artificial Intelligence

(3) The Last Crusade

(Yes, they're all perfect in film, and excellent on album with stellar standout cues, but... quite simply, overrated!)

Underrated:

(1) Return of the Jedi

(2) The Patriot

(3) Far and Away

(If I hear one more complaint about the "childish" Ewok music, I'm going to scream. I find it the most enjoyable major-key element to the entire sextology (presuming Sith is mostly minor).)

----------------

Alex Cremers

The same can be said, and has been said about Jurassic Park.

Nope, in fact, it has been said that the score of Jurassic Park actually had to live in the shadow of Schindler's List, which was of course the Oscar-winning score that year.

Jurassic Park was just another score when you compare it to the turbulence generated by Star Wars. The main theme of Star Wars sorta became the world's anthem. It truly caused a musical tsunami! Even the people who hadn't seen the film could sing it, or at least recognize it! For being non-pop, instrumental music that Star Wars is, it made quite a fabulous career for itself. The score was copied, parodied, covered, used, abused and cited for many, many following years. Everywhere you looked or listened, the music of Star Wars was omnipresent. John Williams (and Spielberg & Lucas through their films) made the large public aware of film scores and single-handedly relaunched the symphonic genre into the cinemas. And it was as if he alone had the patent to do it succesfully (the average Joe on the street simply didn't know who Jerry Goldsmith was. And if he did, well, he still couldn't sing Supergirl). The rage of Star Wars was further augmented by the music of Supes, Raiders and most notably by E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial. Even with a multi-million seller like LOTR, I'm not sure if non-fans would recognize the music outside the movie, the way the "icons" of Williams so undisputedly did. You just couldn't get around John Williams in those days. It's a period in motion picture history not likely to come back.

----------------

Alex Cremers

In my humble opinion, Chamber of Secrets is overrated. Yes, the Chamber and Fawkes themes are wonderful; perhaps the best good and evil themes of the whole series so far. But the score: on the album, it plods along with no focus (too many minor themes (unlike PS, or SS for you Yanks), no really new ideas or styles (unlike POA)), and no outsanding cues. In the film, it is poorly cut and the filler PS/SS music is annoying.

I never read them because I'm 30 years old.

Since you've never read them, you really can't complain about them.

I'll note that my constant attacks on Harry Potter are nothing short of a mockery of both Joe and Neil (among others, but you two take the cake) because you do the same exact thing to "ANYTHING-post- 1977-Theatrical-version-of-Star-Wars!!!-GOD-FORBID-THEY-ARE-CALLED-EPISODE-4-A-NEW-HOPE!!! AAAHHH!!" God forbid the prints are cleaned and old deleted footage is installed! GASP!!! It's fine that you guys feel that way, but it's so not cool to go bash everyone who happens to like them.

I bash the movies, not the people. Plus, I've seen those movies, so at least I have a valid criticism. You have nothing to talk about regarding the Harry Potter books. Plus, since I've seen the movies, I can present valid points on whats wrong and how it would have been better.

I love the DVD versions of the OT. I find the original versions of the OT unwatchable since the DVD versions came out.

You find the DVD with the John Williams score mixed incorrectly for 124 minutes preferable to the original movie? Fascinating.

You know how many people write me emails saying, "What's up with Neil and Joe? Why do they have to attack Star Wars so much"?

I'm flattered that people care about my opinion so much they they decide to discuss them outside of the board. Funnily enough though, I've never once received an e-mail from anyone here asking me that.

Some have told me that they don't post here anymore because of mainly all the Star Wars bashing (including one prominent member a few years ago).

Would it be better if we were all drones with the same opinion? Who's to say what is right and what isn't? If someone wants to be immature enough to walk away because several people hate that steaming pile of a movie known as Attack of the Clones, then that's their problem. You don't see me or Joe or anyone else leaving the board because people like the prequels, do you?

Neil - who still thinks Jurassic Park and Hook are overrated