Schindler's List Dinner music

QMM

Does anybody know the name of the piece played in the beginning of Schindler's List when Schindler goes out to eat, sees the lady, sends champagne over, and talks to all the Nazis?

Much appreciated

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a tango called "Por Una Cabeza." It's also played in True Lies at the beginning and end, and in Scent of a Woman. It's on the Scent soundtrack, in case you happen to have that.

I would assume it is performed by the orchestra we see in the film, because there is no copyright information for the recording of the song in the end credits.

Por Una Cabeza is played after the piece I'm asking for. The tango plays when Neeson is dancing but I am almost positive that there is a piece played before the tango that has the violin, accordion and a drummer with a ride cymbal.

I am pretty sure that Por Una Cabeza in Schindlers List was performed by Itzhak Perlman. There is an almost exact same version of it on the Cinema Serenade CD, John Williams conducting and Perlman playing the violin.

;)

Por Una Cabeza starts playing the moment the film cuts from Schindler in his apartment, getting dressed, to the nightclub. It is played by the violin, accordion and drummer with cymbal that you describe. It continues as he enters, bribes the maitre'd, sits down, surveys the club, and then brings the two Nazis and their Polish female companion over to his table. The film then cuts to chorus girls dancing to a period recording of some song called Die Holzauktion, according to the credits.

Schindler never dances. Have you watched the film recently? Just curious. I hadn't myself, but popped the DVD in to be sure about all this?

Ok I found the piece I was looking for, I didn't know that all of them were called Tango.

Apologies for saying Schindler danced at that scene, he does it later in the film.

Thanks for everybody's help

Just one more thing then I'll let this thread die.

The music in the opening on the radio when Schindler is getting dressed I'm not familiar with, anybody know it?

Gloomy Sunday. I've got the vocal version of it (by Billie Holliday), thanks to Ken, but I'm still looking for a version without the vocals.