• Unbreakable
    • Signs
    • The Village
    • Waterworld
    • Dinosaur
    • The Fugitive
    • Falling Down
    • Grand Canyon

I've been listening to a lot of Howard's work these days and wondered what everyon thinks is his most accomplished work to date....

Although I really like Unbreakable, I would have to go with Wyatt Earp. Really excellent music and some dynamic writing. An epic canvas. Falling Down would also be at the top of the list. A great aural collage.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the list, I only own The Village, Signs, and Waterworld, though I have several more of his scores. I voted for The Village. I really consider it to be virtuosic in both the writing and performance. It's extremely atmospheric, even autumnal, and yet it uses themes to great effect. "Those We Don't Speak Of" and "The Gravel Road" are two of Howard's finest cues.

Ray Barnsbury

I voted for The Village. The reason is the same as Ray said.

I too only own The Village, Signs and Waterworld, but I have The Fugitive and Hidalgo on CD-R, and have listened to something from Dinousaur and Wyatt Earp.

Vertical Limit and The Sixth Sense are nice too.

Grand Canyon is still my favorite, with its fusion of electronics and orchestra for that urban sound of L.A. He sort of revisited that in Falling Down in a more low key way, and that's one score I really would like to see the light of day as a legitimate release.

I also like The Man in the Moon (not to be confused with similarly titled Andy Kaufman bio; this movie was Reese Witherspoon's film debut in 1991). It

Waterworld is too much of a "greatest hits" score. He only had like three weeks to write it, and it shows. It felt like a hodge-podge of thematic styles from his earlier scores up till that point.

The Village, Signs, Dave, and The Fugitive are all among my favorite scores. Out of them, I'd probably have to pick Signs because of it's finale

It was Outbreak and Waterworld that got me into his music. And it was the lack of score on the Outbreak CD that led me to the discovery of 'expanded' and 'complete' scores. Like its predecessors, Dreamcatcher is another frustrating release... banghead

No.

I have seen some of those movies, not all, and I know what some of them sound like... And I know what Peter Pan sounds like... So therefore, the ones that I know of are not up to Peter Pan standards so I shan't vote! If I knew of the other ones, I might vote... But I really like Peter Pan, so I don't think I can vote.

Peter Pan is a very good score. If only people wouldn't compare it to Hook, it'd get the press it deserves.

Just last week I was marveling at how great The Fugitive was and how many wonderful themes Dave has. 1993 was very good to JNH.

Morlock- signing off for the next couple of weeks or so.

Honestly, of the scores up there I have heard, I don't like any of them... I mean yeah, I respect all of them because it is a lot of work to write any music except rap... So yeah.

My favorite is also Peter Pan, but Signs is a close second, so I voted for that. "Main Titles," "First Crop Circles," and "The Hand of Fate - Pts. 1 and 2" are all just amazing.

Of the scores of his I have, I rank them:

-Peter Pan

-Signs

-The Village

-Hidalgo

-Treasure Planet

-The Fugitive

I certainly don't dislike the last few, in fact I love all of them except The Fugitive, which I will soon listen to more and get better acquainted with it.

~Sturgis

Rap is not easy at all to write. Rap lyrics are difficult.

But don't discuss that here, we have the Other Topics section. There are already some threads about that too. 8O

Rap lyrics take one: FLubbrrubberdubberblunkblunk blunk... weirdmovements...canttellwhatimsaying..fds;hjrfoherrrjfdf;jdkcvnzxbang crashboomimmadatmygirlfreind gonna kill my momandcleanoutmy;sdhfadf;fffclose cause she .... madememadandcsoimgonnakillherand im not reallyblack ijustwannabebutimnotandbllahahahhf'dsfjkr;fjer'efj'rjfjripej if u can get anything out of the best rap lyrics ever wrote... then i commend you.

I repeat: this isn't a Rap thread James! And check out some Eminem lyric, for example.

So now back to the thread.

Mirko - who think Signs is a great score, a close second behind The Village.

Signs - although I almost picked Waterworld. But then again, those are like comparing apples to oranges. Peter Pan should have been on the list, I know several people that like that score best.

Signs is just freakin' brilliant. The ways he transforms and uses that 3 note arpeggio motif throughout the score are ingenious. The Main Titles are knockout, they completely draw you in. And "The Hand of Fate" cues are amazing stand-alone compositions, they deserve to be performed on the concert stage.

In fact, selections from the above list of scores as a guide, plus a few more cues here and there, would make an AMAZING concert program - I so, so wish for there to be a concert of his works, as has been done with other composers.

I would travel wherever if I could to hear a JNH concert in person! Wow.

Has ANYONE ever heard anything of his performed live? I never hear of orchestras programming his works, don't know why.

Imagine a concert like that, and have Hilary Hahn there to perform something from The Village...that would be a huge deal.

Greta

I love Signs, and I love The Village, as I think they are some of the best music written for film in recent decades. If I had to choose between them (well, screw the "if", I actually have to), I'll go for Signs, although just because the listening experience is better than the latter.

By the way, since nobody mentioned it here, kudos to JNH for his Unbreakable hero theme. Really effective, descriptive theme.

I think selections from SIGNS and THE VILLAGE would make a very good concert too. I would actually love to hear "Pier" from FALLING DOWN live. That's some great energetic writing if I've ever heard it.

While we're on the topic of concert renditions, I would also love to hear Giacchino's Incredits. It's an excellent suite and representation of the main material from the score. One can wish. Actually, there is a concert band full score available for sale at Sheet Music.com. A little expensive but kinda cool.

I voted for Signs, but a score that wasn't listed in the poll that I rather enjoy is Snow Falling on Cedars. It's a long album and "Tarawa" is a solid stand alone track. I think that score is better then 90% of the options currently given to vote on.

Tim

"Signs" has some of the finest musical moments in film history. Turn the sound off (specially in the climax), and you'll see the movie has no sense without Newton Howard's music.

"The Village" is another great work, but doesn't reach the perfection of "Signs".

Nightscape - I totally agree with you about Snow Falling on Cedars. It is an amazingly rich textural score, and "Tarawa" is one of my favorite JNH cues ever. It was so perfect for the film and created such a beautiful environment. To me it is one that shows how he has matured as a composer.

Greta

I haven't voted - it's a tie between Signs & The Village for me and I can't decide which is better. Signs has the awesome finale but Village has some incredible themes and the beautiful moment in 'Those We Don't Speak Of'.

Awww ok....I vote for Signs :spiny:

DAMN- I knew I left out a really great score by Howard. Yes, Snow Falling on Cedars has some excellent writing and in some ways, foreshadows The Village. Tarawa is a standout track from that score.

On the list, I only own The Village, Signs, and Waterworld, though I have several more of his scores.  I voted for The Village.  I really consider it to be virtuosic in both the writing and performance.  It's extremely atmospheric, even autumnal, and yet it uses themes to great effect.  "Those We Don't Speak Of" and "The Gravel Road" are two of Howard's finest cues.

Ray Barnsbury

Once again, I am in total agreement with you, Ray. As for my favorite work by Howard, who is my favorit composer behind Williams, I really cna't say. The man has done so many brilliant scores. I love Restoration, Dinosaur, Peter Pan, Signs and so many others. It's hard to really put one above the rest. I just think his sense of atmosphere in music is unparalleled. Cues like The Fairy Dance from Peter Pan and Inner Sanctum from Dinosaur really display how brilliant his ability is.

Ted

Ummm, Atlantis is by far one of my favorites. Great themes! Wonderful soundstage as well. Especially the complete edition. But I voted for Sign since it was missing from the list...

Jason

I voted for "The Fugitive." I really enjoy the jazzy feel of it amidst the high-powered tension of "Storm Drain" and "Stairway Chase."

"The Village" is my second choice for the same reason, though I believe the classical feel doesn't pull me in until about halfway through the film. And "Those We Don't Speak Of" is a fantastic cue.

Third would be "Signs," for evoking Bernard Herrmann while still standingout as a James Newton Howard composition.

Jeff

Once again, I am in total agreement with you, Ray. As for my favorite work by Howard, who is my favorit composer behind Williams, I really cna't say. The man has done so many brilliant scores. I love Restoration, Dinosaur, Peter Pan, Signs and so many others. It's hard to really put one above the rest. I just think his sense of atmosphere in music is unparalleled. Cues like The Fairy Dance from Peter Pan and Inner Sanctum from Dinosaur really display how brilliant his ability is.  

Yes, "Fairy Dance" is a great piece, a highlight of Peter Pan. As for Dinosaur, I'm planning on getting that as my next JNH score. The portions of it I've heard sound amazing.

Ray Barnsbury

Yes, "Fairy Dance" is a great piece, a highlight of Peter Pan. As for Dinosaur, I'm planning on getting that as my next JNH score. The portions of it I've heard sound amazing.

Ray Barnsbury

I still prefer Atlantis. Choral cues like Crystal Chamber are amazing.

Is it just me that adores The Prince of Tides then?

Wyatt Earp gets my vote for 'Best End Credits Cue' (non-Williams) - damn shame it was not on the CD!

Another little gem that is worth checking out is Promised Land, some lovely choral work in that!

- Tim.

I also adore Prince of Tides! :( Listen to it a lot, got it for Christmas.

It has such lush harmonies, I especially love the tension chords. The sweeping romanticism hearkens back to the Golden Age of film scoring.

Another interesting gem as far as his vintage is 5 Corners, it's lovely, expressive, and the best part is it's him playing piano and synthesizer on the score.

He actually played piano on his scores up until around Grand Canyon.

His work for Ep. 6 "Mare Tranquilatis" of From the Earth to the Moon (HBO mini about the Apollo missions) is also just beautiful. It's floating around as a boot with the episode "Apollo One" scored by Mark Mancina. (In fact, if anyone finds anymore of the music from that series, it is awesome, Kamen wrote a great theme and several ep.)

Greta

(Hey all here - come visit the James Newton Howard board sometime...Good discussion, it would be cool if some more JWFan people came over and woke that board up! :P)

(Hey all here - come visit the James Newton Howard board sometime...Good discussion, it would be cool if some more JWFan people came over and woke that board up! :()

That might be a more dangerous request than you realize. Dangerous for that board. :P

Thank goodness Greta! Daddy's Home, Love Montage, To New York, End Credits = all fabulous!

First discovered JNH for being an Elton John fan as it happens, then noticed his name crop up on that Tom Hanks & Jackie Gleason comedy/drama (title escapes me at the moment) and enjoyed watching his subsequent film career flourish.

- Tim.

Ah, dangerous...yes, I hope so. 8O The webmaster enjoyed reading our numerous JNH threads here and wanted me to invite you guys over because our JNH discussions are pretty active. An invasion would be most welcome! :baaa:

I need some more people to have conversations with over there, lol, I have my best JNH conversations on the JW board ironically, since the JNH board is still quite new.

So we should just kind of move in, and improve it, you know? Make it more...lively. LOL We're welcome to, so hey why not? He's an awesome composer, it's fun to discuss his interesting, excellent scores with other like minds.

The board is also connected to the Alan Silvestri board (which Justin had suggested recently that we invade heehee) And there's an Off Topic section also (where everything is game) and a General Film Music section, to discuss Johnny, Jerry and everyone else.

But seriously, looking forward to fun posting with ya'll there (ah yes, we are colonizing the Internet mwahaha)...

Have fun! :D

James Newton Howard - Alan Silvestri Forums

-Greta