• Banning Back Home
    • The Early Years, Massapequa, 1957
    • Quidditch, Third Year
    • Other

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That part from Phantom Menace, is pretty good. "Flag Parade" i think it was called. Before the speeder race. What else? Um..well there is Jerry's "The Hunt" from The Final Conflict (although i dont agree with such a 'sport'). Um, i'll have to think a little and put some more later.

While I voted for Quidditch the third year, it is really a tie btw the soccer game, the quidditch match, and quidditch the third year to me. I just can't get enough of all three of them.

Quidditch, Third Year I believe. The best fugato writing I've heard in a film score in a long time. Also Rudy...and of course The Hunt, as mentioned by Melange - one of the most amazing film score cues of all time to me.

Marian - 8O

Quidditch Third Year is great, the best action cue in PoA. But The Quidditch Match is such a perfect blend of Williams' old and new action cue styles. It's possibly the best action cue Williams has written in years, with only a couple from TPM that I think can challenge it from the late 90s on.

What? No mention of "The Tennis Game" from Witches of Eastwick?  8O  

That's one of the better sports action cues from Mr. Williams in my opinion.  

Ricardo

Agreed...

BKL

Ack! Now the word "Quidditch" looks incredibly weird when I look at it because it was mentioned so many times.

I voted for The Quidditch Match, as John mentioned for its thematic qualities. Qudditch, Third Year is also brilliant, but I'm a sucker for themes.

In the absence of The Tennis Game (I assume you just forgot to put this on...) I went with Banning Back Home. It's a fantastic little bit of light fusion jazz. The pianist shines too! The various Olympic Fanfares are the Williams pieces that really make me think of sports though.

Rocky.

Neil

Good choice :wave: . Aswell as the early scores, there has been some great music and songs written for the Rocky movies altogether. Rocky IV (not Rambo IV) has had a slot in my collection for years.

8O "Heart On Fire" (Rocky IV) :)

My brother has been a boxer in the Air Force and often used Rocky music for training. How many times he must have ran up steps on cold mornings and danced around with his hands in the air, i have no idea.

I have to go with the Quidditch Match. I love the energy and the old fashion JW fanfares.

One question I have about Quidditch, Third Year: When it's mentioned some of our music-wise members always say that it's a great fugato, or has a great fugato, or something. As someone who has zero music knowledge I'd like to know: What is that? Is it the whole cue, or just part of it (please specify track time)? Thanks. :)

Goldsmith's Hoosiers is probably my favorite sports score ( and I typically dislike the use of synthesizers)

Same here. Rudy's nice too though not much action material in there.

As for JW I voted for The Quidditch Match with Q:Third Year coming in second.

Next up The Quidditch Word Cup. "Come on you Boys in Green". :)

Yeah, I knew there ARE other sports music that I forgot (The Tennis Match). That's why I put in the OTHER option.

:mrgreen:

I have to say, though, I'm surprised no one chose The Early Years from Born on the Fourth of July. While not completely a sports cue, I think this is one of the best John Williams cues heard in ANY film. I love the way it starts sadly (while Ron Kovic watches the Fourth of July parade), then more optimistically (during the fireworks and the first kiss), and then really swells to a magnificent and emotionally charged piece performed surperbly by strings (during the baseball game). The Tim Morrison trumpet solo as the camera pans slowly through the suburban street at sunset is also nostalgic and heart-warming.

So, if it weren't for The Quidditch Match, that would have been my first choice. Anyone with me???

LOL