Drew Struzan ROTS Poster

Lurker

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This should give this album cover :

e3cover400.jpg

David, that's rather nicely done! How did you put the star wars logo on the picture without covering the underlying painting?

Does anyone know btw if the images Struzan used as photo references are yet published?

34-20041203_2_bg.jpg

Neil

Cool! This is the only one known? Btw thanks for the idea of setting up a photo bucket account!

David, that's rather nicely done! How did you put the star wars logo on the picture without covering the underlying painting?

Thank you MSM.

Using Paint Shop Pro, I have worked on the high resolution poster and deleted all the text. That was the hardest part of the work, especially for the EPISODE III logo.

Then, I donwloaded the Star Wars logo used on the two first albums on Internet, probably this one : Star_Wars_Logo.jpg and made a transparent paste to delete the black background.

I also used the correct font, added the black contours around the Star Wars logo and you get the result.

The highest resolution I made is 1785x1785 [412kb], I have also a 800x800, a 400x400 and a 200x200 versions.

Thank you MSM.

Using Paint Shop Pro, I have worked on the high resolution poster and deleted all the text. That was the hardest part of the work, especially for the EPISODE III logo.

Then, I donwloaded the Star Wars logo used on the two first albums on Internet, probably this one : Star_Wars_Logo.jpg

But how did you remove the black background in the SW logo?

The highest resolution I made is 1785x1785 [412kb], I have also a 800x800, a 400x400 and a 200x200 versions.

You know what, David? I love that cover!

I just downloaded the 1785x1785 version...if the OST will not have this cover, I think I'm gonna print this one and put on the jewel case instead of the original one! :folder:

But I think the OST will have this same cover. Or very similar.

Joe, that was painted by Tom Jung.

thanks and it superior to anything Sturzan has done for the series.

If they have to put Vader,he has to be even more huge but faded into the background,so that only his eyes loom over the rest of the bunch,so it matches the TPM poster with the Darth Maul eyes.also whatever original poster that Vader belongs to,I think Drew should have used a picture reference from RotS and nit from Star Wars.That bothers me the most.

I mean,doesn't Lucasfilm know by now that most of the SW fans are internet geeks who will figure all this photoshop editing crap out within minutes that it is shown online?Who is he trying to fool?

K.M.

That poster isn't bad, Takis.

It's ridicoulos, absurd and lame. That yellow explosion in the middle is so horrible...and Luke has his face just over it. :)

I was going to reply with this: "Hey Neil, you already poster this at the beginning of the thread!"....but then I saw that.......v1.0.....

ROTFLMAO WTF? It's the same poster, apart the "v 1.0" thing.

Is this usefull for something? :)

It's ridicoulos, absurd and lame. That yellow explosion in the middle is so horrible...and Luke has his face just over it

Isn't there a white explosion with Anakin's face right over it in the ROTS poster?

Justin

I actually got them from Drew Struzan's website.  The ROTS one from the SW Official Website.

...and they mysteriously disappeared from my sig.  Whoopie.  :roll:

That's because you stole it from me :D

I made a transparent paste to delete the black color which I defined as the background color.

David, could you send me the result? It would spare me a lot of time. Could you make such an superposable picture of the Episode III logo as well, and maybe of the Indiana Jones logo too?

MSM - not that good with drawing programs but working on his own episode III poster with acrylics :D

Struzan is the Thomas Kinkaid of Film posters, they always look the same, and they are as interesting as beauty tips from Kathy Bates.

Yes, the first poster is definitely the best. When Star Wars (Ep. 4) was released, George Lucas was likely much more idealistic; this was evidenced in the poster and the film itself. I wish I could like the new Star Wars films as much as I did the original 3 - but they, like George Lucas, are just very cold, calculated and corporate. Has George Lucas become Darth Vader?

But the DVmask asymmetrical on the poster is very ugly I think.

Yeah, it should be in the centre, like it is in the ESB poster. :mrgreen:

Looking at the three Prequel posters together, the off-center mask works well as a "bookend" and in that sense gives balance when placed side-by-side.

But the DVmask asymmetrical on the poster is very ugly I think.

Yeah, it should be in the centre, like it is in the ESB poster. :mrgreen:

Looking at the three Prequel posters together, the off-center mask works well as a "bookend" and in that sense gives balance when placed side-by-side.

I understand what you mean but I don't see it. And I also don't think thqat was the idea. I also don't understand why the mask itself is so obviously assymmetrical, as if two halves of two different masks were put together.

I'm still hanging out hope for the "real" poster to be revealed online. I can't believe Lucas let so many CLEARLY flawed artistic techniques through, for the final film of his hexalogy. It's an eyesore, for Christ's sake. It makes me embarassed. End of rant.

I actually got them from Drew Struzan's website.  The ROTS one from the SW Official Website.

That's because you stole it from me :mrgreen:

Not quite. Mine looks a bit different. :P

That's because you stole it from me :mrgreen:

Not quite. Mine looks a bit different. :P

Plagiarism! :P Anyway, mine looks better!

MSM - who's Episode III poster draft is almost finished.