Williams' Newsphoto

SkyMaker

Just a short note.

The photo that appeared on the Canadian Newspaper is printed backwards, because Williams is right handed, plus, the violins are to the left of the orchestra, not the right, as the bow indicates on the photo.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't he left handed?

Look here here and read...

Mirko - who is left-handed, like a lot of people in the Simpsons. (That's because Matt Groening is left-handed, I guess).

Besides, (second) violins are positioned on the right (in the conductor's view, left in from the players' view) in the old European setting, which is used often by Williams because it gives a more balanced sound from the string section. (Opposed to the American setting which has the first and second violins, violas, celli and basses set from left to right in the conductor's view, and which is always used in Europe :folder:)

(Opposed to the American setting which has the first and second violins, violas, celli and basses set from left to right in the conductor's view, and which is always used in Europe :folder:)

Not always, though I suppose most of the time. But some conductors specifically use the European setting (at least for certain works) to retain the original stereo setting of the two string sections, e.g. Tintner on his Bruckner recordings, but I've read of other cases as well.

Marian - who still doesn't understand why they had to change it.

Perhaps because of prevailing instrumentation that had all violins play the sameor similar stuff, so it would be awkward for the conductor to give the cues (sic) to the extreme left and right, simultaniously?

Mirko - who is left-handed, like a lot of people in the Simpsons. (That's because Matt Groening is left-handed, I guess).

True ! Matt Groening is left-handed.

But I have no idea wether John Williams is left-handed or not :|

I thought Groening was left-handed, because almost every Simpsons character is left-handed, even if sometimes they appears writing with the right hand, but that's a kind of joke by the authors, IMO.

No...

And do you know what's the "J" means in Homer J. Simpson ans Bart J. Simpson?

Hurry up before Marc give the answer!

Oh, and if you give the correct answer, you win...nothing! :|

If you did the last thing you would see is the shine of a dagger before it reaches your eyeball.

:|

Are you still searching that answer on the Internet? LOL

Homer and Abraham's middle initials are a token of

admiration for Rocky and Bullwinkle (Rocket J. Squirrel and Bullwinkle

J. Moose), whose initials were in honor of their creator, Jay Ward.

Apparently, as of episode AABF02, Homer's "J" stands for "Jay."

Moonman? I used that only once...giving you the all the credits you deserve. But I don't want to steal anything.

It looks like you care too much about this! Do you think we must pay you for use that? That's so absurd!! LOL

And probably you don't remember, but you used one of my lines a couple of times last year...so kinda shut up. (not in white this time).

According to Nancy Cartwright, Bart's middle name is Jojo, making his full name Bartholomew Jojo Simpson.

I don't know what the J. in Philip J. Fry stands for, though. Or Abraham J. Simpson.

Also, the Simpsons are named after Groening's own family. His dad's name is Homer, his mother's Marjorie, but Marge is slightly funnier, and he has two younger sisters named Lisa and Maggie. I believe he also has two other siblings whose names went unused.

Now what's this newsphoto we're talking about? Does anyone have a scan of it?

And Bart is the anagram of "brat"!!

So Bart is Jojo...then, "Jenius" must be the meaning Bart himself give to his J.

And yes...what's this newsphoto? :?

Now what's this newsphoto we're talking about? Does anyone have a scan of it?

Saying this makes Ricard unhappy. You do visit the main page and not just the forum, right?

Neil

Dagnammit! A few days I don't check the main page and there's five new articles. banghead

- Marc, who will now read this article.

BTW, in the DoF music video, Williams is clearly holding the baton in his right hand.

why not just have the main page load first, then you are unlikely to miss it. I don't come to the forums first without seeing the front page, even if I read it wrong.

What I don't understand is: how come Williams conducted the May 21st concert last year with the inverted string placement, but conducted the May 22nd concert with the normal placement?

Just a short note.  

The photo that appeared on the Canadian Newspaper is printed backwards, because Williams is right handed, plus, the violins are to the left of the orchestra, not the right, as the bow indicates on the photo.

Ben Burtt sent that photo,to prove that violins are to the left of the orchestra sometimes.

K.M.

Just a short note.  

Ben Burtt sent that photo,to prove that violins are to the left of the orchestra sometimes.

:|

Neil

Hey, everyone. I hope everyone's doing well. Just passing through and thought I'd help you all clarify something. Johnny is indeed right-handed. Hope you now have a better understanding of our great hero.

Take care!

~Director

Williams is right-handed. All the times I've seen him conduct, his right hand was clearly his dominant hand. Mostly, the baton stayed in his right hand. And when I had him sign something, he signed it with his right hand.

However, conductors may not always hold the baton in their dominant hand. It's a very strange art and no one ever does it the same way twice - there are so many factors that determine conductor's personal choices in the moment. Do I use a baton? Which hand do I hold it in? Maybe he really needed his right hand for a very important gesture. Who knows.

Cellos seem to usually be situated on the right side of the orchestra, but this is often up to a conductor and the symphony's traditional setup. I've seen them set up on the left, too, and it just seems to vary from symphony to symphony. I'm used to seeing them on the right, but that's how my local orchestra does it.

Thanks for posting the pic - I couldn't see it in the other thread!

Perhaps he's ambidextrous? I have personally, on several occasions, seen him demonstrate right-handed tendencies.

Thanks for posting the pic - I couldn't see it in the other thread!

I bet you're still using Internet Explorer. Get a Mac! No wait.........wrong quote!

Try Mozilla Firefox! :|

Mirko - on Firefox, having no problems see the attached pics. :(

Nope - I (and my entire office and family) use Firefox and have for almost a year. I only use IE when I absolutely have to. I don't know why I couldn't see it, but I appreciate your posting it again. I was going to go to the library on my way home from work to look up that particular issue of National Geographic to see what everyone meant!

I was forced to use FF, because one day, I turn on my PC, I opened IE, and the classic white blank error page came out. With every website.

Then I installed FF, and it works. With every website. I didn't like it the first times, but it's only a matter of habit. Now I like it.

Mirko - still thinking that JW is left-handed.

The Williams JVC ad is an advertisement to sell a product, and it is all posed.

I'd like to ask you, if this picture is not posed, then do you think he can play the piano with his left hand on those keys he has his fingers on, and right down notes with his right hand? Just picture in your mind how awkward that would be.

Further proof that this picture is posed, is from the way Williams head faces the score. As you can see, it's too far angled to the right, looking more towards the edge of the piano. When you work on the piano composing, you face straight ahead a lot more then in that picture, looking towards the score in front of you. But photographic technique sometimes requires to exaggerate a point of view to give the camera a natural point of view. It occurs all the time in movies & TV series. E.g. 2 people faces each other conversing. They would angle their head more towards the each other's shoulder where the camera is pointing towards, to give the impression that he/she is looking straight into each other.

Furthermore, one can't make the suggestion that this is a irrefutable and systematic way Williams works on his music. Remember, he has an architect table to the right of him loaded with pencils and erasers, which is where he writes down the notes.

Plus, about violins on the right, yes, of course there are orchestras situated like that, and the Boston Symphony does that once in a while, but as far as I remember, not with the Pops. A right seated 2nd violin is fairly rare to find nowadays. Sometimes it's the violas that sits on the right stage, but that's rare also.

Therefore, with Williams left hand baton, which is uncharacteristic of him, and the bow on his right, suggests strongly that the photo is printed backwards, which is not a rare thing for newspapers and magazines to do.

Now, the harder question is, what brand, high end, Stereo System does Williams listen to at his home? And what high end, speakers does he have?

:)

The Williams JVC ad is an advertisement to sell a product, and it is all posed.  

I'd like to ask you, if this picture is not posed, then do you think he can play the piano with his left hand on those keys he has his fingers on, and right down notes with his right hand? Just picture in your mind how awkward that would be.

There is a debate over whether this picture is posed? That is the best thing about the picture! His awkward, serious faced pose! Johnny the sellout strikes again!!!

Now, the harder question is, what brand, high end, Stereo System does Williams listen to at his home? And what high end, speakers does he have?

I bet he doesn't have Bose products.

Neil