Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

John Crichton

I noticed something cool during last night's new Galactica. Might've just been imagining things, but it seemed to me that at least part of the battle that consumed the last two acts was heavily influenced by, if not a direct homage to, the Battle of Yavin. Mainly the control/command room, the distorted voices over the radio (this was the one that made me realize it), and even some of the cockpit shots when Vipers were shot down.

I know I might be the only one here who saw this, but I thought it was worth mentioning. smile.gif

Meh, the Battle of Yavin's been spoofed dozens of times, even on Powerpuff Girls. Do not ask me how I know about that one...DO NOT!

I noticed in the Star Wars Ep. III ROTS trailer that the drum in the middle was similar and "borrowed" from Battlestar Galactica.

• 1 year later...

Excellent, simply excellent, raised quite a few questions about morality.

At least the next episode is only 1 week away.

Like Survivor, or Big Brother?

Those two question mankinds intelligence.

That premiere...kicked...ass like no other 2 hours of television have in the last 9 or 10 years.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like Survivor, or Big Brother?

no, think more worldly ongoings.

I hate you all......this is one of the best shows EVER to grace a TV screen......I have spent the last couple of weeks watching the whole thing right from the Pilot miniseries up to the season 2 finale......and am so desperate to see the opening of Season 3......which as yet has no airdate (as far as I know) in the Uk..........!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm suffering guys, I'm suffering......

Well if you want I could PM you and tell you everything that happened.  ;)

You will have to pardon me if I refuse.......

eMule is on the case

I hate you all......this is one of the best shows EVER to grace a TV screen......I have spent the last couple of weeks watching the whole thing right from the Pilot miniseries up to the season 2 finale......and am so desperate to see the opening of Season 3......which as yet has no airdate (as far as I know) in the Uk..........!!!!!!!!!!!!  I'm suffering guys, I'm suffering......

Although season 3 isn't on Itunes yet, can you purchase it on Itunes in the UK?

No....up to now it has always been "US Only"......so unless there's a change in things I will have to wait a while longer......

The music isn't half bad. I love how they took the whole concept of how Battlestar Galactica is in essence a civilization like that of the Greeks... with very much their tempers and way of life and religion... and incorporated it in the musical sound of the score.

It's not the typical space score... it's soo vastly different.

Instead, they use the Mediteranian feel in their action cues. Hell, the opening titles themselves contain ethnic women vocalizing over an instrument who's name I can't think of, but the sound reminds me of an English Horn. Then it goes into percussion music with a very mediteranian feel. The UK version of the main title is a ltitle bit more obvious than the American version...

I didn't think much of the series at first until my best friend got annoyed I'd never watched it and made me watch the recap episode Monday... and then catch up on series three by watching the two episodes on Wednesday which I did... so I'm ready for Fridays show. heh

I then checked my computer and found I had The Mini-Series, Season 1 and Season 2 soundtracks on my computer already... how and when I aquired them I don't know lol... kinda scary lol

But yea.. I'm hooked.

I heard it's not doing well ratings wise... which makes me sad because I don't want them to cut it, although they are apparently doing a spin off on just what happened between Season 1 and 2 (think like Clone Wars the cartoon.)

It would just be a series on what happened that year on New Caprica.

I'm really beginning to become attached to it. I recently started watching Nip/Tuck but this BG is so much more intelligent and... real feeling...

If I had to describe Battlestar Galactica in one word, it would be 'realism.'

I have been an avid fan since the beginning - and have finally "acquired" the season 3 opening 2 episodes.....off to work today, then home tonight to indulge.....

I just checked out Bear McCreary's site.

He's hoping to do a blog entry for each episode's music after it airs.

His thoughts on his music from latest 2 episodes can be accessed from the bottom of his site: http://www.bearmccreary.com/

It is intended for those who have seen the episodes, so if you haven't beware spoilers!

I hated the music at first, but it's grown on me over the years. Nothing I want to listen to on CD, but it works really well for the series. The new choral main title for Season 2 in particular is really good.

• 2 weeks later...

tonights episode was quite good, except if was not long enough, and left more answers hanging than before.

they can do one thing that Star Trek cannot do, and that is go to Warp in a gravity well.

tonights episode was quite good, except if was not long enough

Yes, I felt that too, like it could have used even another ep to tell the story. Still damn good, though. i'd like to get more detailed, but how spoiler wary should we be? Can we declare this whole thread a spoiler zone and those that enter beware? How bout it, Joe?

I agree, those wary of spoilers beware.

I thought it was a noble effort to sacrifice the Pegasus to save Galactica,

also the scene of Galactica jumping into the atmosphere, and then falling is just incredible.

the effects people have made these things so realistic, it really looks like combat footage.

Yes, that was an amazing seqence both emotionally and visually. The whole space battle in fact looked amazing. I wonder if any was modelwork or if was all CG.

But my number 1 question: Where did Baltar and Hera end up? Did he and Caprica/Six go with the rest of the Cylons, on their own, sneak aboard Galactica?

we'll find out, not soon enough though.

next weeks show looks good, colaborators beware.

Yes, that was an amazing seqence both emotionally and visually. The whole space battle in fact looked amazing. I wonder if any was modelwork or if was all CG.

I don't know, but it made me wish that I had a better TV!

But my number 1 question: Where did Baltar and Hera end up? Did he and Caprica/Six go with the rest of the Cylons, on their own, sneak aboard Galactica?

I don't think that he is on the Galactica. Rumor has it that he will be seening the inside a Cylon Basestar soon.

What about Tom Zarick (sp?), did we see his fate or did I miss it? If he returned, isn't he the President now?

I don't think that he is on the Galactica. Rumor has it that he will be seening the inside a Cylon Basestar soon.

What about Tom Zarick (sp?),  did we see his fate or did I miss it?  If he returned, isn't he the President now?

Yes, that was where I would figure he ended up as well. There was a bit in the Season 3 teaser after the first ep where Baltar says something like "You mean I'm a Cylon?". I highly doubt he is, but I can definately see an episode or arc set around that question.

As for Zarick, I don't know. It was pretty obvious that Roslin is going to be President again, as she should be. I didn't really like her in the first season, but she became my favorite character in season 2. Her line to Baltar after the debate in the season 2 finale is my all time favorite Galactica line ever. She and Zarick formed a good bond on New Caprica though, maybe he'll be VP.

You're a Frakkin' Awsome Machine, So Much Better Than The One With Lorne Greene.....

LOL LOL :PROTFLMAO :spiny:

Greg - who has seen the Season 3 opening 2-parter, and is trying desperately to catch up with "Exodus".....so far, so ball-breakingly good....

Tonights episode was good, I agree. So Baltar is a Cylon then?

Edit: Good job to those who guessed he was on a Cylon base star (I think that's what they call em'...)

• 2 weeks later...

and again another powerful episode, but I can honestly say

STAR TREK DID IT,

STAR TREK DID IT,

SIMPSONS DID IT

SIMPSONS DID IT.

southpark6_02.gif

Anyone else loving that we're getting the Cylons in every episode, rather than just a few times a year. And I'm really happy that the search for Earth is back at the forefront, I was getting kind of annoyed at all the backstory flashback based episodes that were done at the end of last year. This isn't Lost.

That last episode was the first meh of the season.

no way, all in all another brave morality tale.

I didn't start watching this until recently. A friend of mine, Corey, said that I was President Roslin... and he NEVER...EVER... compared people...be they ficticional or not... I watched the show and I was like "SHIT! I am Roslin."

I was sad with her this past episode when she decided to use the virus against the cylons... I am hoping that they come to some point of understanding between the Cylons..

Similar to how she decided to give a presidential pardon to ever person who was stuck on New Caprica, I hope that at some point she can forgive the Cylons, and the Cylons back...to where there is some sort of...co-operation... but I imagine that to be at least a season away lol...

I love President Roslin... she's amazing.

And the music is so intruiging.

I am kinda tired of them reusing that same music over and over whenever Caprica (6) speaks to Gaius...I gues it's kinda like her theme in a way but eh lol

Or reusing that shot of all the fighters making an emergency landing in the landing bay before the FTL jump...

Oh well... Still very riveting...

That last episode was the first meh of the season.

no way, all in all another brave morality tale.

Oh come on Joe, you don't honestly believe that was that brave. It's the "I, Borg" of BSG, except much weaker.

What changed from beginning to end of the episode? Nothing, no consequences. Everything was magically brushed aside.

The only redeeming factors were the Basestar scenes and the fleet learning of Baltar's aid to the Cylons.

• 2 weeks later...
Arse!!  How utterley inconsiderate of the US to have Thanksgiving on a Galactica night.....

:P

Actually Thanksgiving was on Galactica Eve. People were supposed to be out shopping on Galactica Night.

I've seen the preview for the next episode and it is the first on so far that looks terrible. Boxing? :roll:

The boxing is there as a backdrop for a bunch of flashbacks for the year of the New Caprica arc we missed.

Don't worry, it's not the point of the story, and it's not what the story is about at all, it's a plot device.

We're a bit behind in Australia - Season 2.0 just out on DVD, and Season 3 a while away...I've located a not-quite legit site that tapes tv shows and puts them on the net, only in the last few days...

Let me just say I almost wish I'd waited for the DVD release, because watching on blocky downloaded and compressed streaming is not doing this show justice.

Best tv show ever - just finished watching the Exodus 2-parter...absolutely breathtaking in every conceivable area...must have replayed that Galactica plunge from the sky sequence a hundred times....and there was so much more...

Not a good site to find when I've got all this end-of-year school marking to do...!

• 3 weeks later...

Aaargghhh!! No new episodes for over a month???? How dare they?!??!??!

Still - this season has (so far) been an improvement over the (still excellent) season 2, and I have done an fine job in keeping up with things - in fact I am only one episode behind which is quite good considering the 3rd season hasn't even started airing over here yet!!

Looking forward to Eye of Jupiter, and the rest of a remarkable season of an unusually good show.....

Not from the proper "Office" evidently.....

I kinda likes the American knock-off, but the Brit version is so much more subtle.....and all the funnier for it.....

Greg - who wonders if he can live with the anticipation of another BSG episode for a whole month.....but at least I have "The Runaway Bride" to keep me company....