Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

John Crichton

So I've been re-watching the series so far (Netflix is awesome), and I just got up to "The Farm." Did anyone else notice that the version of "A Promise to Return" used in the episode is different from (and, in my opinion, much more interesting than) the version on the album? Anyone know how to obtain that recording?

• 3 weeks later...

Well - just caught up with "Razor".....very much on the spirit of the first season and very little of the religious stuff to chew on....though there are some startling moments towards the end to really make you go "Huh?????????" and open your mouth whilst holding eyes wide open.......

Very, very enjoyable with some great performances and up to it's usual standard of programme making....though one main character was conspicuous by his absence......?

Oh.....and nice to see some old.....erm....."Friends" back......

Well - just caught up with "Razor".....very much on the spirit of the first season and very little of the religious stuff to chew on....though there are some startling moments towards the end to really make you go "Huh?????????" and open your mouth whilst holding eyes wide open.......

Very, very enjoyable with some great performances and up to it's usual standard of programme making....though one main character was conspicuous by his absence......?

Oh.....and nice to see some old.....erm....."Friends" back......

You haven't seen all of Razor yet, have you? :P

It doesn't broadcast here until Nov. 24. Or are you talking about the little videos on scifi.com?

POSSIBLE SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (but then, you know that if you've read the thread title!)

Yep - seen the whole shooting match.....

I must admit, I was apprehensive about Razor as I thought it was going to be more of a spin-off movie than a true BG "film" - however I was very wrong....continuity is faultless and it is very much part of the BG canon with all the same cast and continuing story-lines (apart from the aforementioned person who is very much missing....I must now go back through the Admiral Cain stories to find out what was happening to this character at the time).

Special nods to Jamie Bamber (but then being a fellow Brit, I would!!) and Michelle Forbes who turn in fantastic performances, along with a few others. And our "old friends", of course......

....which brings me to a post I made months ago on BG.....I called it a "sequel/remake" series somewhere I believe....up until now I had pretty firmly believed it to be the latter....now I am not so sure.....are they going to try and tie this in with the Dirk/Hatch series once and for all?? The "chrome toaster" cameo in the Pilot movie was cool and a nice nod to the fans - but now it's really time to start raising eyebrows.

Yep - seen the whole shooting match.....

Youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu bastard. :D

Did the DVD leak online?

On the sequel/remake question, the new series was always intended as a remake. The previous Cylon war and the classic toaster in the museum in the miniseries are just homages to the original series rather than a direct tie.

Did the DVD leak online?

Might have done :angry:

On the sequel/remake question, the new series was always intended as a remake. The previous Cylon war and the classic toaster in the museum in the miniseries are just homages to the original series rather than a direct tie.

Befor seeing Razor, I thought this too.....now I'm not so sure.....not so sure at all......can I be any more subtle about which of our old friends make a return??? :D

• 4 months later...

Last year, four of the final five were revealed. It's been made clear the final five are fundamentaly different models than the other Cylons we've met. What will it mean?

Razor gave us some tantalizing glimpses into possible arcs this year, showing flashbacks to the Cylon's first experiments with humans, introducing us to the first hybrid (who knew a lot about the final five, if you watch the extended DVD cut), and showing us that there's still a group of those old Cylons that were involved in those experiments out there.

Roslin, Caprica Six, Athena, and Hera are having a shared dream. A dream that takes place in the same Opera House that was the setting for Head Six's prophecies about Hera to Baltar in last season 1/early season 2. What is Hera's destiny?

Baltar has been aquitted. Now he has a cult following.

Kara has returned, not from death, but from Earth. She knows the way.

Season Four, Episode One. Friday night, 10 PM Eastern, Sci-Fi Channel.

Great summary.

Thanks, and I didn't even get to half of what's going on. ;)

As for who's #5, Kara would be too obvious. Baltar's been ruled out. It won't be Adama or Roslin. I don't know, it'd have to be someone fairly major since it's been held off. Theoretically I think it would have to be someone not on Galactica at the end of last season since they weren't "summoned" like the other four.

who do you think is the fifth?

After reading an interview, it is claimed that #5 will be no one you expect, not a main character.

Yeah, bring on season 4.

They've already explained some of what will happen through commercials. Kara is going to find out about the prophecy and have a breakdown. The commercial also shows her being told about it by a cylon(i don't recall very well ;) )

I have been waiting for this for over a year now.

Thank goodness Lost was along there to tide me over.

These two shows have easily provided me with the most exciting television experiences since 1994....

I kind of lost touch with Battlestar Galactica after a while...but I think I'll get back into it tonight and watch Season 4. At least this will keep me busy until Stargate Atlantis Season 5 premiers in the summer.

I complained for so long about the delay in getting Season 3 released on DVD, but I'll admit that it just might have worked out for the best. I just got done with the whole set, commentaries and all, a few days ago and I couldn't be more ready to start up again.

And then tomorrow that other big sci-fi show starts back up too. ;)

There was either something wrong with the cinematography...the camera used...or my broadcast....

But there was something odd about the look of the episode. In addition, all the motion looked like it had been sped up a few frames.

But no sound distortion....so I'm...lost.

But it was an excellent episode none the less.

Oh yes. Oh fracking yes.

I love the opening battle. I love the doubt about Kara. I love Baltar's new perspective (which I had the most doubts about going in), not to mention the return of Funny Baltar. I love what The Four are going through. I need to watch it again, but right now I can't even find anything to nitpick.

Maybe it was your broadcast Blu, I didn't notice any difference. I had the replay of the S3 finale on before and they matched up just fine.

Next week, apparently, the Threes get unboxed.

He's not a true "villian" though, just a flawed and selfish man that when push comes to shove often makes the wrong decision. He does still have a soul, as he's shown many times throughout the series. Maybe he is being pushed toward some sort of final redemption.

But I agree, the prayer was wonderful. As was the scene after when he was going to let himself be killed.

Next week, apparently, the Threes get unboxed.

I thought that was the one cylon who looked like 6 from Razor, but that would seem more likely... You're probably right.

Twas awesome though. Opening Battle scene = Pure awesome

Hmmm . . my episode looked fine. Obviously, the cast is a bit older so it didn't sync up as well to the end of season 3.

I also thought the episode was very well done. I hate watching shows on TV and prefer to wait until they hit DVD, but Battlestar is one of the few I have to catch as soon as it airs. Not only because I want to see what happens, but to also avoid any spoilers (I caught wind of what happened at the end of season 2 . . . man, I wish that hadn't been spoiled for me). So tonight was actually my first night watching the show on TV, commercials and all. It certainly makes one hang out to every moment, but I could see how disappointing episodes (like some in Season 3 for example) could seem even worse, considering you wait all week and through commercials. I sure hope they don't try and pull some of those "one-offs" for the last season.

I hope they come up with a good explanation for Kara and I'd like to see Lee back in the military before the season's end. A civilian just doesn't seem to suit the guy (Snazzy shirt Lee. Where'd you pick it up? The Gap?). Baltar remains as interesting as ever. He's really a hard guy to hate, and definitely too manipulative to be labeled a good guy . . . so there he lies, somewhere in the middle. It'll be interesting to see how his character plays out this season.

As for the final Cylon . . . I don't doubt they'll make it one of the lesser known characters. Personally, I think it'll either be Lee or his "dead" brother. Leoben (sp?) said in the first season that Adama was a Cylon. He never said which one, and I think making one of those two a Cylon would create some great drama. As stated earlier, making Roslin, Baltar, Thrace or even the Admiral a Cylon would just be too easy.

And did anyone catch that glimpse of next week's show? Looks like a Six (and possibly the rest of them) are taking command of the Cylons. Personally, I think something like that would be great. They need to make the Cylons threatening again. Don't get me wrong, I like knowing both sides of the story but getting them back to that terror level they were at during the mini-series would be icing on the cake.

Ahhhhh, it's good to have Battlestar back.

*Was that a three? I assumed it was a six, if only because of the desktop I have now that shows a six pointing in business attire, similar to what was shown (the desktop is at sci-fi's official site).

Three is indeed back.

He's not a true "villian" though, just a flawed and selfish man that when push comes to shove often makes the wrong decision. He does still have a soul, as he's shown many times throughout the series.

And that, John, is what makes him one of the best villains in T.V.

Twas awesome though. Opening Battle scene = Pure awesome

Zoic is the best effects house in the business right now, at least when it comes to space scenes.

(Snazzy shirt Lee. Where'd you pick it up? The Gap?).

Just put a few military bells and whistles on it and it'd be very Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart.

John- knowing no one in this thread will get that comparison and doesn't care

Zoic is the best effects house in the business right now, at least when it comes to space scenes.

Led by the genius Gary Hutzel....any effects house is going to be the best in the business. ;)

I can't believe they canceled SG-1 for this.

Why wouldn't they cancel a lame show in favor of one of the best dramas on TV right now?

Led by the genius Gary Hutzel....any effects house is going to be the best in the business. :music:

In the season 3 podcasts/commentaries Ron Moore doesn't get any more worked up than when he is adamant that they (Hutzel and the FX team) need to win an Emmy.

I can't believe they canceled SG-1 for this.

Is there any proof of that?

Just some discussions at Gateworld about the Sci-Fi Channel ditching SG-1 in favor of keeping BG. It'd take me forever to dig them up.

Would it have killed them to make this episode 2 hrs instead of making us wait a week to resolve the "ending"?

Just some discussions at Gateworld about the Sci-Fi Channel ditching SG-1 in favor of keeping BG. It'd take me forever to dig them up.

Hmm, okay fair enough I suppose. I find it weird they'd ditch a good long standing show like Stargate SG-1 for Battlestar Galactica. I personally felt Stargate SG-1 was light years (no pun intended) ahead of Galactica.

Hmm, okay fair enough I suppose. I find it weird they'd ditch a good long standing show like Stargate SG-1 for Battlestar Galactica. I personally felt Stargate SG-1 was light years (no pun intended) ahead of Galactica.

I've never seen Stargate SG-1 so I can't comment on the quality of the show, but it seems that any show these days that sticks around that long, people tend to lose interest.

Battlestar is a known name and it's fairly new. I'm sure if it were to stick around for another 4 or 5 seasons, it would end up being replaced by something else. Thankfully the creators decided to quit while they're ahead. I wish more shows would have the opportunity to wrap things up, knowing that the season they're working on is the last.

If memory serves I think they were going to end Stargate SG-1 at the end of Season 8 when they found Atlantis but since the show was continuing to get good ratings they kept it on.

It's a shame you haven't seen any of Stargate SG-1 (or Atlantis I assume), you should rent or buy the complete Stargate SG-1 series and Stargate: The Ark Of Truth since the Ark Of Truth wraps up one of the story lines from the last of Stargate SG-1. If you haven't seen the original Stargate movie, start with that then see Stargate SG-1.

If memory serves I think they were going to end Stargate SG-1 at the end of Season 8 when they found Atlantis but since the show was continuing to get good ratings they kept it on.

It's a shame you haven't seen any of Stargate SG-1 (or Atlantis I assume), you should rent or buy the complete Stargate SG-1 series and Stargate: The Ark Of Truth since the Ark Of Truth wraps up one of the story lines from the last of Stargate SG-1. If you haven't seen the original Stargate movie, start with that then see Stargate SG-1.

Ya know, it's funny because I think the movie's okay but I love the premise. I'm not sure why I haven't tried out the show sooner. I'll add it to my online queue.

I had a totally random thought today, and I think I might have cracked where they're going with Lee. I can give some reasoning and will provide it if asked but I'll keep it simple for now. This is just my speculation based on what we've seen, I have no spoiler info to base it on:

He's going to be president after Laura dies.

Ya know, that actually makes sense. I'm surprised I haven't seen it brought up before. Also, if I remember correctly the prophecy said that she would NOT make it to Earth. I'm not 100% sure though, can anyone verify? As for Lee's new career, I certainly don't mind but I find it hard that he's just going to stand back and watch all the action take place. There's got to be some way he'll be involved with the "battles to come."

Also, if I remember correctly the prophecy said that she would NOT make it to Earth. I'm not 100% sure though, can anyone verify?

You're right, that's what it says.

This week's episode was okay. I felt there was a lot of setup but I suppose that may be necessary for what's to come. I'm not quite sure what the "final four" are trying to accomplish by discovering the fifth one. What then? Sneaking off into meetings will just draw attention and judging from the sneak peek of next week's episode, it looks like it will be sooner rather than later.

The split between the seven Cylon models is interesting though. After everything that went on in season 3, it's nice to see them as a threat again.

I hope we get to see the original Centurions (a la Razor) some time again though.

It wasn't okay, it was wonderful. I love setup, I love slow burns on the arcs. Give us stuff to think about. It was great getting to see the Cylon side again as their evolution continues. Individuality continues to assert itself. And I'll own up to being wrong about D'Anna, that was a Six, just with darker blonde hair.

And for the most brilliant thing, I only have two words: Head. Baltar. I cannot believe that actually did it, but it's so frigging brilliant how could they not! I was laughing so hard during that scene I missed some of the dialouge. Oh, and I was still laughing after the following commercial break was over. And what does the conversation sound like when Baltar talks to himself? "Oh, she's hot." "Yes, she is." "Handle with care." "Oh, I'd love to."

:)

Okay now having watched the episode, I agree definitely a good episode. I too laughed at the part where Baltar was talking to himself.

Going to be interesting to see what happens next week.