Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

John Crichton

The plot certainly moved forward, that doesn't mean it moved forward interestingly.

Yeah I certainly didn't finish the episode with my usual "Wow"!

I was looking forward to the fight between Adama and Tigh and the consequences that I thought would follow

I was expecting a punishment a little more severe than a promotion to commander of the fleet.

Despite the plot developments, I thought it the most boring episode of the show.

indeed it was slow, it moved the show forward, but at the expense of entertainment.

So is tonight the season finale, if not when is it?

Tonight is episode #9 of season 4. Episode #10 airs next Friday, and then they go on hiatus again and episodes 11-20 of season 4 will air at a later date that Sci-Fi hasn't announced yet. (Despite the fact the makers of the show have already finished filming them all).

There also may or may not be webisodes during the hiatus, and there may or may not be made for tv movies during the hiatus. Also, the pilot for Caprica that was written 2 years ago might be filmed soon.

I fracking hate mid-season hiatus'. Survivor is the one that started it all and now every damn show does it. It's really annoying as hell.

Edit: Chances are they'll either A: Show the last of Season 4 in the fall or B: show the rest of it in January.

The #1 reason there's going to be a significant hiatus this year is due to the writers' strike, otherwise it would have been like season 3 (what was it, 3-4 weeks between the first and second halves?). I think fall is too optismistic, it'll be Nov/Dec at the earliest, or more likely the start of next year.

I really don't see the point of the Caprica prequel. I have all the information I need from that era from within the proper show.

Well it was definitely nice to see what happened to the "two weeks" that went by and now that the Cylons can no longer download... it's going to be very interesting to see what next week reveals.

that was a very nice tease, well played too.

I agree John, the ending was perfect.

romance in the middle of interplanetary genocide is always a nice touch.

That was a beautiful episode, and the final scene was the perfect evidence of why this is the best show on television.

Only one or two major things happened, but they happened astoundingly, unlike last week.

romance in the middle of interplanetary genocide is always a nice touch.

Quoted for truth.

Anyone else notice that Lee and Kara looked pretty together during Laura's dream(s)? Foreshadowing?

And I want to know what Baltar was up to with that centurion.

Baltar hasn't had one dull moment in the entire run of the show, in my world rewnowned opinion. Not that I can think of off the top of my head.

But personally I don't want to see Kara and Lee together. I hope she stays in her observer effect mode.

I'm ready to find out who is #1. The need to get that out of the way, its dragged on too long now, its not even fun guessing, I still think its one legged guy.

the answer is no they do not reveal who is the last.

but according to reviews this show will blow you away, that you will have to rethink everything you know.

well they will get to earth in the end, thats no longer a spoiler, but thats stretching things way too long.

Here is what I think they will find when they get to earth.

The Planet of the Apes

A little more good news/bad news behind the scenes rumblings to chew on before tonight's slightly big episode:

Bad news: As I thought, after tonight there's pretty much zero chance of there being new Galactica shown before 2009.

Good news: It's being reported that the second half of the season will consist of 11 or 12 TV hours rather than 10. Actual number of eps TBD. The finale is actually still shooting, it's supposed to wrap at the end of this month I think.

Just saw the mid season finale.

Frack! I can't believe the powers that be at Sci Fi are making us wait to see the conclusion! WTFFFFFF

WOW! What a great mid-season finale! I'm impressed big time I'm just at aw as to what happened, cylons and humans working together. Was it me or was the city they showed at the end New York? I wonder what the hell happened...man it's going to be hard to wait until 2009 and I wonder when in 2009 it'll resume.

At least Stargate Atlantis is coming back July 11th that'll keep me tied over until then.

Edit: I wonder though if the same line "It happened before, it'll happen again" meant by the Cylons and the humans joining together to find earth.

sh-ts gonna hit the fan when the other cylons catch up to the humans and the cylon defectors.

Was it me or was the city they showed at the end New York?

That's the assumption. Personally this is one case I'm not going to go nuts speculating, I'm content to wait and see where this is going to go.

I just watched the whole episode again on the replay and it was even better the second time through. Yeah, yeah, all the Earth stuff is great, but as usual it's the character stuff I want to see. Now that the four are out and the rebel Cylons are still around, I can't wait to see what the character interactions are going to be like the second half of the season. Did anyone else catch the little moments between them during the long final shot? (Tori trying to cozy up to Anders, he shruggs her off; Caprica Six looking very close with Tigh)

Now for just one filler ep tomorrow night then it'll be time for the Who finale runup. I love this.

That's the assumption. Personally this is one case I'm not going to go nuts speculating, I'm content to wait and see where this is going to go.

I just watched the whole episode again on the replay and it was even better the second time through. Yeah, yeah, all the Earth stuff is great, but as usual it's the character stuff I want to see. Now that the four are out and the rebel Cylons are still around, I can't wait to see what the character interactions are going to be like the second half of the season. Did anyone else catch the little moments between them during the long final shot? (Tori trying to cozy up to Anders, he shruggs her off; Caprica Six looking very close with Tigh)

Ya I'm not going to go nuts speculating but it looked like one of the bridges in New York or it could have been the Golden Gate bridge.

I did notice that at the end with the little moments between the cylons and the humans and it was great. I also thought Admiral Adama's performance was great in this episode. Learning his best friend for 30 years was a cylon and just having a break down because of it.

Edit: It also seemed like they were taking radiation readings when it showed Admiral Adama bending down and picking up the soil and it was spiking. Most likely a nuclear war just like what happened on Caprica.

Great episode. Just utterly terrific.

I was physically tense worrying that Tigh was going to be airlocked. Any time film makes you physically tense, you know something significant is happening. And then, considering that I was tense over the possible death of somebody who by all rights ought to be called a villain...? (I don't think Michael Hogan has gotten enough credit for his job on the show. He's been note-perfect since the miniseries, but his name usually takes a back seat to some of the others. That's a shame; he's doing stellar work, and I'm relieved to see that that'll continue for at least another episode.)

This is a truly amazing show.

It is nauseating to think that SciFi is going to sit on the rest of the series until 2009. F--k these guys. F--k SciFi Channel to death with salad forks. First they make a bungle out of Farscape, and now this. The confusing thing is that the damned show doesn't get even decent ratings; the ratings are in the toilet, which is where they've been for about two seasons now. It's all a ploy to be able to sell more DVDs by splitting the season into two distinct parts. I guess the hope is that we won't complain about that, since they'll be able to say that the season was broken into two parts, and therefore gets a two-set release.

Well, guess what, f--k faces: we'd buy them anyways! Put 'em out two episodes to a disc, I'd still buy a show that's this great! I'd bich and moan, but I'd do it, and you KNOW I'd do it. There's really no need to antagonize the 76 people who watch the show by making us wait god knows how long for something that's already almost entirely in the can.

Oh well, at least I knew it in advance. I was at Dragon*Con last summer, and Aaron Douglas announced it at a BSG panel. They (Douglas, Jamie Bamber, James Callis, Richard Hatch, and Kate Vernon, as far as I can recall, although I may be mixing years in my head) sounded like they were all pretty disgusted and confused by the decsion, and I don't blame them. In fact, in case you couldn't tell, I join them.

It definately got to the point that I wouldn't have been surprised if Tigh had been airlocked, though of course I'm glad he didn't. (An aside, I remember last "year" I was 90% certain that he was going to die on New Caprica) Michael Hogan has been an ace for the show that doesn't get the recognition he deserves, Ron Moore says as much pretty often in his commentaries. And then he'll make the point that Hogan doesn't care for the recognition, just to keep doing his job, which makes it all the better.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that remembers Farscape, but the way I see it Sci-Fi has learned a bit from it's mistakes. Their main rationalle for cancelling Farscape just one season short of it's planned end was that the show wasn't attracting new viewers (understandable, as it was very arc heavy and made it tough to jump in late). But despite the low ratings the last couple of years the network has stood by Galactica and is letting Moore and co. finish it up as they see fit. And I agree about the Season 2 split, but this year's was bourne more than a little than the writers' strike. In all honesty I'm hoping for seperate DVD releases like S2 just so I don't have to wait so long to get the first half on DVD.

And one thing that I forgot to say last night, I need to give Bear McCreary a mention. I'm very hot and cold on his Galactica scores, but I know greatness when I hear it, and the score for last night's ep was greatness: from the development of the Watchtower 4 theme to the amazing choral piece for the airlock sequence to, finally, letting loose with a near proper orchestra during the final act. Easily his best yet. If the complete score for Revelations is ever released on CD I'd get it.

It definately got to the point that I wouldn't have been surprised if Tigh had been airlocked, though of course I'm glad he didn't. (An aside, I remember last "year" I was 90% certain that he was going to die on New Caprica) Michael Hogan has been an ace for the show that doesn't get the recognition he deserves, Ron Moore says as much pretty often in his commentaries. And then he'll make the point that Hogan doesn't care for the recognition, just to keep doing his job, which makes it all the better.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that remembers Farscape, but the way I see it Sci-Fi has learned a bit from it's mistakes. Their main rationalle for cancelling Farscape just one season short of it's planned end was that the show wasn't attracting new viewers (understandable, as it was very arc heavy and made it tough to jump in late). But despite the low ratings the last couple of years the network has stood by Galactica and is letting Moore and co. finish it up as they see fit. And I agree about the Season 2 split, but this year's was bourne more than a little than the writers' strike. In all honesty I'm hoping for seperate DVD releases like S2 just so I don't have to wait so long to get the first half on DVD.

And one thing that I forgot to say last night, I need to give Bear McCreary a mention. I'm very hot and cold on his Galactica scores, but I know greatness when I hear it, and the score for last night's ep was greatness: from the development of the Watchtower 4 theme to the amazing choral piece for the airlock sequence to, finally, letting loose with a near proper orchestra during the final act. Easily his best yet. If the complete score for Revelations is ever released on CD I'd get it.

Myself, I'm almost never cold on McCreary's scores for Galactica, but even I was impressed with last night's. I think this guy has the potential to be a great composer, and luckily, this series seems to be getting him the attention he needs to be . . . well, maybe the next Giacchino, if nothing else.

You're right to point out that we ought to be glad that SciFi isn't shafting Galactica the way it did Farscape. I've always thought that nobody but SciFi was to blame for Farscape failing to find new viewers. After all, they'd take these insanely long breaks between episodes, but did they take advantage of that time to schedule reruns? Nope. Sure, the show was heavily -- impenetrably, even -- serialistic, which can be a problem. Rerunning the entire series could only have helped, but apparently nobody thought of doing that. I don't know that it would have solved the problem, but it can't have hurt.

I've beeen avoiding this thread like the plague, since I've been a week or two behind all the way through......have finally caught up and........wow!!!!!!

The opening few episode started to have me wondering if BG had seen it's best days, it just didn't hold my interest - but the last 3 episodes brought me right back into it - great stuff!! The cliffhanger is a doozy....can't believe I've got to wait all that time to find out what's going on! My bet though is on the "That's not Earth" twist....

My bet though is on the "That's not Earth" twist....

It's Earth. Just like "One year later" and "We're Cylons, and we have been from the start", this one's real too. No going back. :huh:

Ronald Moore said that all five were known. So, if we take D'Anna at her word, that leaves

Lt. Danny 'Bulldog' Novacek from "Hero"

. I think it's more likely that she wanted the fleet to stop looking so she could find the fifth on her own. Of course, we gotta wait about a year to find out -- I have seen a couple of articles quoting Moore as saying that the last Cylon won't be revealed until the final episode.

A popular 'net theory is that it's going to be someone who's already passed on. Specifically...

Zack Adama

Zarek

is a popular guess, too.

And we shouldn't be waiting a year, "just" six months or so. I'd pencil in the start of the second half sometime in January.

On the commentary track for the episode that had Saul's wife found among the fleet, he said that there are only so many times that he could go to the well and that she was the only family member or spouse that was going to found among the fleet. I hope that he would have the same apprehension about resurrecting another character (and even that one hasn't been explained).

And color me pessimistic-- this time last year, the official word was that the fourth season was going to start in January of '08. When did it finally get started? And with the rumor mill going about the possibility of multiple "stand alone" BSG movies to be produced this year, I'm definitely not holding my breath.

• 4 months later...

We have dates! Honest to God, hard, hopefully unmovable dates!

Season 4.0 DVD release: January 6

The Final 10:

4.11 Jan. 16

4.12 Jan. 23

4.13 Jan. 30

4.14 Feb. 6

4.15 Feb. 13

4.16 Feb. 20

4.17 Feb. 27

4.18 March 6

4.19 March 13

4.20 March 20

I know I'm ready.

Something to look forward to durring the first part of Tax Season. Definately looking forward to it.

However, what's the source of the TV schedule? Any word on the rumored stand-alone movies?

...and once again us Britishstar Galactica fans have been well served, and the "4.0" DVD's have been on the shelves for a couple of weeks now...mislabelled as "The Complete 4th Season", but I'll forgive them that as there is a taster for the final episodes....

....now, if only my gas bill hadn't rocketed last month!!!!!!

More details on season 4.5:

http://galacticasitrep.blogspot.com/2008/10/season-45-and-beyond.html

New webisodes, titles of episodes, update link on stand-alone BSG movie to air next year, and Caprica is still up in the air.

EDIT: I used POST LINK and it doesn't seem to work for me. If you copy the address, it works. (Sorry, but I gotta: Frak!)

Oh yeah, I keep forgetting about those webisodes. They're nice teasers, but you pretty much forget about them after the season (or rest of the season) starts.

The movie looks interesting, that's the first time I've seen the title The Plan. It's supposed to be full of Cylon backstory. I still really don't care about Caprica, though. I honestly hope the thing doesn't get off the ground.

Oh, and here's a clickable version of the link. ROTFLMAO

• 1 month later...

The Final 10:

4.11 Jan. 16

4.12 Jan. 23

4.13 Jan. 30

4.14 Feb. 6

4.15 Feb. 13

4.16 Feb. 20

4.17 Feb. 27

4.18 March 6

4.19 March 13

4.20 March 20

I know I'm ready.

I read on several sites that due to a great series finale script, sci fi decided to add at least another episode to the final 10.

So that makes 11 episodes of battlestar left to go (maybe some episodes will also have a longer running time but that's unconfirmed)

Maybe they consider 4.20 as a two hour series finale, that would fit with the dates

I'm really looking forward to the new music of Bear Mc Creary, one of the most promising new tv/film composers on the horizon.

Oh, great preview of the next episodes. I just hope we get a great space battle in the end. There wasn't that much action in the last ten episodes, which isn't necessarily bad but somehow necessary in a sci fi epic like battlestar.

• 2 weeks later...

It hasn't, I actually haven't seen it before. There's some interesting stuff there. The old hybrid's speech from Razor is certainly something I've been parsing ever since Season 4 started.