Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

John Crichton

But Saul is a cylon so obviously he can inseminate.

He's a Cylon, but he's not the same kind of Cylon as Six. He is one of the Earth-Cylons, who had the ability to procreate; they told us that much. The other Cylons were created by the "Final Five" with the help of the Centurions, and I can only guess that their inability to procreate was an intentional design defect.

I'm sure we'll get solid answers to all of these questions in the remaining episodes.

He made 6.

so did no one else get from the episode that there is one more Cylon to be revealed?

Yes - that is what I got from it too - but had been put off the idea by others opinions.......and I go back to an earlier post of mine and say the name....Zarek.

I was under the impression that John destroyed that model (7 was it?) and that it was replaced. I wouldn't put it past them to actually have another reveal, although it seems kind of odd to add one more Cylon to the mix.

Yes - that is what I got from it too - but had been put off the idea by others opinions.......and I go back to an earlier post of mine and say the name....Zarek.

Jokes aside, they said Daniel was artistic and sensitive to the world. Zarek is neither.

OK I've been trying to wrap my head around everything revealed in this episode, and I think I got it. Please feel free to fill in the gaps or correct mistakes:

• At one point the only "beings" in the galaxy (for all intents and purposes) where humans living on Kobol
  • At some point the Kobol humans built/developed human-looking cylons. Those cylons were eventually exiled from Kobol for reasons I'm not sure of.
  • The exiled cylons decided to head to Earth. They stopped at the algae planet along the way and built the Temple of Hopes.
  • After arriving and settling down on Earth, the earth-cylons found they were able to reproduce normally, and abandoned resurrection tech.
  • At some point, the Earth-cylons built robot-cylons. Nobody on Earth thought anything bad was coming, with two exceptions:
  • Two earth-cylons had visions, "messengers" who appeared only to them (Anders and Tory) and warned them of a coming apocalypse. So those 2, along with Tyrol and Saul and Ellen Tigh (or whatever their earth names were), began re-developing resurrection technology and organic transfer. They had a resurrection ship orbitting in space.
  • The following 2 events happened around the same time: There was a nuclear holocaust on Earth (perhaps caused from an uprising of the earth robot-cylons) that killed everyone on it, including the robot-cylons. Also around this time, the remaining humans fled Kobol in 12 Tribes and formed the 12 Colonies. It is unclear if these 2 events are related at all.
  • After the holocaust on Earth, the 5 Earth-cylons that had been working on resurrection tech downloaded into new bodies in their ship in orbit.
  • Those 5 decided to travel to the 12 Colonies and warm them about what would happen if they also built robot cylons. However, they didn't have FTL technology, so it took them 2,000 years to get there (though they barely aged in the journey)
  • Along the way to the 12 Colonies, they first stopped at the Algae planet, where they planted visages of themselves in the Temple of Hopes, and then Kobol (where they expected to find the humans) before arriving at the 12 Colonies
  • They got there too late: The colonial humans had also created robot-cylons at this point, and they had already rebelled and started a war.
  • These colonial robot-cylons believed in One God, and thought to praise him they needed to recreate themselves in humanity's image. The closest they came was the Hybrids, which wasn't working out right.
  • So the 5 Earth-cylons made a pact with the colonial robot-cylons: If we help you create humanoid cylons, you leave the colonials alone. The colonial robot-cylons agreed and the war was over.
  • The 5 Earth-cylons and the colonial robot-cylons formed their own colony somewhere the colonials could not find them and got to work. The first skinjob they created was John Cavil, who was modeled after Ellen's own father. With his help they created the other 7 skinjob cylons for a total of 8 (1 Cavill 2 Leoben 3 D'Anna 4 Simon 5 Doral 6 Six 7 Daniel 8 Sharon)
  • Cavil grew a hatred for his human body, and craved to be more machine-like. His very human traits of jealousy and rage came to fruition when destroyed the #7 line (contaminating the copied bodies so any existing copies would die forever upon their death). He also tricked the 5 Earth-cylons into a compartment then suffocated them.
  • When The 5 resurrected, he gave them false memories that they were normal colonial humans, and sprinkled them through-out the fleet so they could see up close the greed, predication for self-destruction, and other human traits that he found inferior. He also wanted them to witness first-hand the next part of his plan...
  • Which was to wipe out the humans once and for all. This is the second war, that started at the beginning of the mini series.
  • 50,000 humans ended up surviving, and through fate or chance or whatever, all 5 of the earth-cylons Cavill had placed survived as well (Cavil made sure himself that Ellen survived)
  • The fleet starts hopping around the galaxy looking for a new home while evading Cavil and the other Cylons. They find Kobol as well as the algae planet (which is next to a supernova that is about to explode)
  • On the algae planet, one of the colonial-cylon skinjobs in the fleet (D'Anna) sees a vision in the Temple of Hopes in which she sees the faces of the 5 Earth-Cylons. Fearing that she would tell the fleet what she knows, and the 5 Earth-cylons would learn their true nature, Cavil has the D'Anna series boxed the first chance he gets.
  • The five Earth-cylons learn that they are cylons anyway when the fleet arrives near the Ionian Nebula and they begin to hear All Along The Watchtower in their heads. But they still don't have specific memories of their past life
  • When Anders is shot in the brain during the mutiny, he can remember much of this back story.

I think that's it.... phew.

Lingering questions that will hopefully be answered in the last 5 episodes:

1> What is up with Starbuck? Who or what is she now?

2> Who/What caused Earth-Tyrol and Earth-Tory to have "messengers" that warned them of the coming apocalypse?

3> How do those "messengers" relate to Head-Six and Head-Baltar?

4> What was it about the Ionian Nebula that caused the earth-cylons in the fleet to hear the music?

5> Why did the Raider abort firing on Anders after it scanned him during the attack in the Nebula? Did Cavil program the Raiders to not harm the earth-cylons?

6> Who/what created the cylon virus from season 2 and why?

7> What are Roslin's opera house visions all about?

Ron Moore said in the podcast the 13th/8th Cylon model is indeed gone, courtesy of John Cavill. The writers made the decision that they didn't want the show to get wrapped up in another "Who's the last Cylon" question again, quite rightly too.

And that leaves an opening for me to claim the title. :)

it would have been a nice way to explain the how starbuck is dead on earth and yet alive.

Starbuck will not be explained according to the actress who plays her. She will and probably must remain an enigma.

Starbuck will not be explained according to the actress who plays her. She will and probably must remain an enigma.

I don't believe that for even one second.

you will in 4 weeks.

I don't believe that for even one second.

you will in 4 weeks.

Nope. Not tackling that issue would be poor storytelling of the first order, and that's a sin this show has not yet been guilty of.

Katee Sackhoff is engaging in misdirection.

thats because they thought Sachoff wouldn't be back.

No. The producers -- in tandem with Sackhoff -- put over an enormous scam on the public, and to protect that scam, they kept the knowledge of Starbuck's eventual return from the rest of the cast and crew. Sackhoff did publicity to back up this scam. It was brilliant stuff.

I'll (unhappily) eat crow if you turn out to be right, Joey, but I just can't envision Ron Moore and company dropping the ball to that great an extent.

No you're right Bryant. I remember there being something in the DVD features for either season 3 or 4.0 about Olmos (I think) actually getting pretty pissed off at being kept in the dark.

Starbuck's story certainly doesnt seem a priority. I just want a satisfactory conclusion, though I don't think all fans will be happy, I expect it to be a 50/50 thing half happy, half going what the hell?

Moore's commented at some point, I think in one of the commentaries specially recorded for the 4.0 DVD for an ep that didn't have a podcast, that he was amazed at how much the finale tied up all the loose threads. I think we can expect all the big stuff (Starbuck, Head Six's origins) to be dealt with.

The producers -- in tandem with Sackhoff -- put over an enormous scam on the public, and to protect that scam, they kept the knowledge of Starbuck's eventual return from the rest of the cast and crew. Sackhoff did publicity to back up this scam. It was brilliant stuff.

Yes, what an enormous scam! They said a character from a show that most people don't even know about(it's popular to an extent, but I could ask a random person and he probably wouldn't have seen it) was dead! NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111

it was a filler episode. My other half asked how I liked it, and I told him it was ok, some important stuff but mostly it wasn't great, but better than his show Lost which is Lost in season 5.

The only thing that bugged me about the episode was: How the frack did Boomer and Ellen find the fleet? The whole whole point is that the fleet and the "good" cylons are on the run from Cavil and the "bad" cylons, and that they are looking for a home where they can hide from Cavil forever.

So how did Boomer and Ellen find them? What do they know that Cavil doesn't? Or does Cavil actually know where they are but is leaving them alone at the moment for some reason?

I was very shocked they killed off Liam. I can't figure out where the cylon goo story is going. The last couple episodes have been so filled with shots of Adama looking around, its getting very repetitive. It's not like he sees anything different each time

The producers -- in tandem with Sackhoff -- put over an enormous scam on the public, and to protect that scam, they kept the knowledge of Starbuck's eventual return from the rest of the cast and crew. Sackhoff did publicity to back up this scam. It was brilliant stuff.

Yes, what an enormous scam! They said a character from a show that most people don't even know about(it's popular to an extent, but I could ask a random person and he probably wouldn't have seen it) was dead! NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111

Number one, go frak yourself.

Number two, it was an enormous scam. The fact that it only affected the relatively few people who stay up-to-date on news about this show doesn't really change that.

Hot Dog got one of the funniest lines in the whole series tonight. "How many hot chicks are there out there?"

He said dead chicks, not hot chicks.

I thought this was one of the worst episodes of the series. It reminded me a lot of this week's episode of Lost, which was good compared to other shows, but extremely weak compared to other episodes of its own series. It felt like what it probably was: an episode designed to get certain characters into certain situations so that they would be in position for the next real part of the story.

I'm okay with that. I don't expect every episode of a series to be great; sometimes, okay is good enough.

The only thing that bugged me about the episode was: How the frack did Boomer and Ellen find the fleet? The whole whole point is that the fleet and the "good" cylons are on the run from Cavil and the "bad" cylons, and that they are looking for a home where they can hide from Cavil forever.

So how did Boomer and Ellen find them? What do they know that Cavil doesn't? Or does Cavil actually know where they are but is leaving them alone at the moment for some reason?

I had wondered that myself.

Hot Dog got one of the funniest lines in the whole series tonight. "How many hot chicks are there out there?"

He said dead chicks, not hot chicks.

Or was it hot dead chicks? :D

Re Jason's question- we'll see if Ronald D. Moore, executive producer and developer of the new Battlestar Galactica, brings that up in the podcast. He usually adresses those sort of things head on.

Lingering questions that will hopefully be answered in the last 5 episodes:

1> What is up with Starbuck? Who or what is she now?

2> Who/What caused Earth-Tyrol and Earth-Tory to have "messengers" that warned them of the coming apocalypse?

3> How do those "messengers" relate to Head-Six and Head-Baltar?

4> What was it about the Ionian Nebula that caused the earth-cylons in the fleet to hear the music?

5> Why did the Raider abort firing on Anders after it scanned him during the attack in the Nebula? Did Cavil program the Raiders to not harm the earth-cylons?

6> Who/what created the cylon virus from season 2 and why?

7> What are Roslin's opera house visions all about?

What about Baltar surviving the holocaust on Caprica?

bump, so we wont have to search for it later tonight, course I may pull a Vosk and miss it tonight, but I will set the computer to record it.

Starbuck in the shower was quite nice and I very much liked the use of music as an important element of the storytelling. Still, all seems to be going straight to hell.

Yeah, Kara sideboob ftw.

I've never been much for Boomer's character, or the romance she had with the Chief but I'll admit I like where they took this episode. I especially like the idea that Cavil orchestrated Ellen's "escape" all to get a hold of Hera.

But why? And why the frak does the kid know the song? And how did Kara's dad know it to teach Kara? What does that make Kara?

3 episodes left baby.

That was a strong, strong episode.

My theory is that Kara's experiences are related to Anders, that he is doing some Cylon projecting while in his coma to communicate something to Starbuck. The piano player was her father; was he also a certain fellow named Daniel? It's all maddeningly unclear, but in a good way; I don't feel as if the show is going to fail to resolve these issues, it's just maddening to have to wait until next week.

I literally got goosebumps when Kara started playing "All Along the Watchtower." That was a very effective moment.