Lurker

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Created especially to accompany the CD release, the thrilling 70-minute

DVD features 16 brand-new music videos set to selections from all six of John

Williams' unforgettable Star Wars film scores and has been designed around a

timeline that will take the viewer chronologically through the entire saga.

Each movement is introduced by actor Ian McDiarmid (who plays Senator

Palpatine in the films) and features a spectacular montage of images, complete

with excerpts of the original dialogue and sound effects, set to Williams'

legendary music which has been newly remixed and remastered in 5.1 surround

sound.

I'm all for more Ian McDiarmid, but I'd rather have a second disc for the complete score. But that goes without saying. :)

The official title of the new theme called "Revenge of the Sith" in the score reports is Battle of the Heroes.

Yeah. "Battle of the Heroes"? 9-note theme? Choral+orchestral music? For a lightsabre duelling scene with Obi-Wan Kenobi?

This seems like a carbon copy of "Duel of the Fates," with a thesaurus applied to the title.

Here's hoping everything else about it is as far as you can get from DotF, and much better!

Created especially to accompany the CD release, the thrilling 70-minute

DVD features 16 brand-new music videos set to selections from all six of John

Williams' unforgettable Star Wars film scores and has been designed around a

timeline that will take the viewer chronologically through the entire saga.

Each movement is introduced by actor Ian McDiarmid (who plays Senator

Palpatine in the films) and features a spectacular montage of images, complete

with excerpts of the original dialogue and sound effects, set to Williams'

legendary music which has been newly remixed and remastered in 5.1 surround

sound.

It will be interesting to hear if the new 5.1 mix on Star Wars matches the music mix on the new DVD. And I wonder what source was used on Star Wars to make it multi-channel, since I think only a 3 channel mix down of it exists. What would have really made this disc exciting is if Williams had newly recorded some older music, such as the concert version of "Han Solo and The Princess". But hey, at no extra charge, who am I to complain?

Neil

It's certainly better than screensavers. Could be interesting and (gasp) maybe even good depending on how they do it, though Sony's track record is....yeah.

John- wondering how many times he'll type BotH in the coming months. :wave:

But hey, at no extra charge, who am I to complain?

can you imagine all for only $32.95

But hey, at no extra charge, who am I to complain?

can you imagine all for only $32.95

:wave:

But wait, there's more! Order now, and we'll include a collectable case! A $5 value, yours free if you call within the next 10 minutes.

Neil

Created especially to accompany the CD release, the thrilling 70-minute DVD features 16 brand-new music videos set to selections from all six of John Williams' unforgettable Star Wars film scores and has been designed around a timeline that will take the viewer chronologically through the entire saga. Each movement is introduced by actor Ian McDiarmid (who plays Senator Palpatine in the films) and features a spectacular montage of images, complete with excerpts of the original dialogue and sound effects, set to Williams' legendary music which has been newly remixed and remastered in 5.1 surround sound. Williams' principal theme from the new score, entitled "Battle of the Heroes," will be featured in a music video created by Lucasfilm.

The soundtrack packaging will also include liner notes from George Lucas plus an exclusive fold-out poster featuring a montage of images from the film.

Well, too bad about the "original dialogue and sound effects," but it could have been a lot worse.

Reading over this announcement, I think the disc is going to actually be a Dual Disc. The press release never once says anything about an extra disc, and the fact that it's not going to be any extra to get this all points to it being that. A Dual Disc has a CD on one side and then on the other side is a DVD, which can either be a DVD-A or a DVD-V. Since these are all music videos and this is is Sony, a company that does not support DVD-A, this will obviously be a DVD-V. You can read all about "Dual Discs" here.

Neil

This dual disc thing won't affect the audio quality on the CD side, will it?

No it will be a standard CD, so the audio will not be effected. Now I'm not sure, but I think Sony is the only Dual Disc manufacturer who actually produces Red Book compliant discs, so this will have the "Compact Disc Digital Audio" logo on the cover. Some manufacturers make the discs too thin and thus are not up to CD spec. We'll see what happens.

Neil - glad the press release doesn't mention "collectible covers"

Let's hope there is plenty of recording session footage too - be great if they inserted the 1977, '80 & '83 session footage with the appropriate music selections, but it's doubtful.

- Tim, who watched VH1 for 10 hours straight when the Duel of the Fates video was premiered! What a great build up to the ultimate down-climax!

Anyone want to do the maths to add up the times of the concert versions we have so far? My estimate is that we have only about 45 mins so far.

Anakins Theme

DOTF

ATS

Leia's Theme

Imperial March

Yoda's Theme

Luke and Leia

Ewok Battle

the dvd thing is pretty standard these days, every new Celine Dion or Barbra Streisand cd comes with a seperate dvd, and it cost no more with or without the dvd.

Not that I would no anything about buying a new Celine Dion or Barbra Streisand cd, I , I,,, I bought it for my Mom, yeah thats the ticket.

Well dead_lizard, there are some more, like Throne Room, Asteroid Field, Cantina Band, The Little People, Here They Come, The Battle, HAn Solo and the PRincess, Jabba, Parade of the Ewoks, Jar Jar's Adventures, Flag Parade... (have I forgotten one?)

I guess that would fill the 70 minutes :wave:

Is "The Asteroid Field" a concert arrangement? Same goes for a few of those. I'll give you "Jar Jar's Adventures", but I think the Cantina band and the Flag Parade might be too specific to make a music vid from.

Do you think there'll be any interviews? I know they don't mention any, but we can hope....

...Imagines a segment like in ET showing Williams demonstrating the themes on piano ;)

...Imagines a documentary showing the process of music editing in the prequels :)

Well, all of these exist in arrangements specifically made for concert performances (sometimes different/clean beginnings and endings, some parts with slightly different orchestration, some extended in places...)

This sounds neat. I'll be in France when it comes out, so I'll either pick it up over there or pre-order it online so it'll be waiting for me when I get home. Hmm... Tough choice.

- Marc, who doesn't want some crazy Frenchy DVD.

I guess beggars can't be choosers, but would I ever love to see bits of the recording sessions from all 6 films. This really sounds great though.

As long as these 'music videos' feature JW is some way, shape or form I will be pleased.

For the cost of producing that extra DVD they could have included the full score. But it will be fun to watch all those music videos of Star Wars, introduced by McDiarmid.

I suppose at least this evidences that they may be confident they will eventually release the full scores, because if they are willing to expend a budget on music videos then they must not be worried about missing the opportunity.

Star Wars concert versions so far:

Star Wars Overture (Theme, etc.)

Princess Leia

The Little People Work

Here They Come

The Final Battle

Throne Room and Finale

The Imperial March (Darth Vader's Theme)

Yoda's Theme

The Asteroid Field

Han Solo and The Princess

Jabba the Hutt

Parade of the Ewoks

Brother and Sister

The Forest Battle

The Flag Parade

Jar Jar's Adventure

Anakin's Theme

Duel of the Fates

Accross the Stars

Battle of the Heroes

Like Neil said, it's free, so you can't complain but on the other hand the ROTK DVD was free with the limited edition soundtrack and it had a great 20+ minute featurette on the ROTK score, which I have watched three times, plus two music videos and the deluxe trailer. I'd much rather have that than what is essentially a condensed version of all six Star Wars movies. Any fanboy can throw that together. A seperate music only track would have been nice. Unless there is a considerable amount of JW footage, I can't see me watching this more than once.

Jeff

It may not be the John Williams Documentary on DVD but hey it's a start.

Brian99_1 - who considers this good news to brighten his otherwise dull day

Yeah, it is good news. I'm surprised it is a 70 minute DVD. I think it will be a new way to appreciate JW's contribution for people who take it for granted. I hope it is sort of like Peter and the Wolf, with its little descriptions by McDiarmid before each piece.

I think it will be a new way to appreciate JW's contribution for people who take it for granted. I hope it is sort of like Peter and the Wolf, with its little descriptions by McDiarmid before each piece.

I think it will be little more than a series of themed-trailers (much like the DotF video). I doubt they will make anyone appreciate the music. Anyone who is buying the soundtrack already appreciates the music. For anyone buying the soundtrack just to have the DVD, they will not appreciate the music since it will be mixed with sound effects and dialogue.

I also have a feeling music will be edited together from among different cues in the films for at least some of the videos. The statement said that it will be 16 music videos. How many concert pieces were recorded for inclusion on the original soundtracks? Star Wars Main Title, Leia's Theme, The Little People Work, Imperial March, Yoda's Theme, Luke and Leia, Parade of the Ewoks, Duel of the Fates, Anakins Theme, Across The Stars and now Battle of the Heroes. That's eleven, but really ten because I'm not sure they'll devote an entire video to the Jawas. So what about the other six? I don't see Sony using a Gerhardt or BPO recording of Jabba's Theme or Han Solo & The Princess. And I doubt JW rerecorded them with the LSO.

Jeff

Well, what exactly was the scheduled additional week of recording for? I know it was reported that Williams and the LSO, being Williams and the LSO, finished ahead of schedule, but that would include the stuff scheduled for the 3rd week, whatever it was.

-Chris, remembering the reports that Williams had saved time at the end of the HPPS sessions so he could record his children's suite (which somehow is still unreleased).

WOW!!! Is really all I can say. I am ready to go stand in line now to be one of the first to get my hands on it. But of course I have a job and bills to pay, so I guess I will have to settle for getting on my lunch hour on the day that it is released. Then I will have to sit through the torture of waiting to go home to watch the DVD.

beerchug :)

If anyone comes across info on the Australian release of the soundtrack/DVD, please spill!

The movie's coming out on May 19 in synch with America etc, so the May 3rd date presumably is in tact also, but I'd just like to confirm!

[it will be interesting to hear if the new 5.1 mix on Star Wars matches the music mix on the new DVD.  And I wonder what source was used on Star Wars to make it multi-channel, since I think only a 3 channel mix down of it exists.  What would have really made this disc exciting is if Williams had newly recorded some older music, such as the concert version of "Han Solo and The Princess".  But hey, at no extra charge, who am I to complain?

Neil

I just hope they don't invert the music in the surround channels like they did for ANH...

Here is what the DVD contains.

Chapter 1: A Long Time Ago

"Star Wars Main Title" from all films

Chapter 2: Dark Forces Conspire

"Duel Of The Fates" from Episode 1 : The Phantom Menace

Chapter 3: A Hero Rises

"Anakin's Theme" from Episode 1 : The Phantom Menace

Chapter 4: A Fateful Love

"Across The Stars" from Episode 2: Attack Of The Clones

Chapter 5: A Hero Falls

from Episode 3: Revenge of the Sith

Chapter 6: An Empire Is Forged

"The Imperial march" from Episode 5: The Empire Strikes Back

Chapter 7: A Planet That Is Farthest From

"The Dune Sea of Tatooine / Jawa Sandcrawler" from Episode 4: A New Hope

Chapter 8: An Unlikely Alliance

"Binary Sunset / Cantina Band" Episode 4: A New Hope

Chapter 9: A Defender Emerges

"Princess Leia's Theme" Episode 4: A New Hope

Chapter 10: A Daring Rescue

"Ben's Death / Tie Fighter Attack" Episode 4: A New Hope

Chapter 11: A Jedi Is Trained

"Yoda's Theme" from Episode 5: The Empire Strikes Back

Chapter 12: A Narrow Escape

"The Asteroid Field" from Episode 5: The Empire Strikes Back

Chapter 13: A Bond Unbroken

"Luke and Leia" from Episode 6: Return of the Jedi

Chapter 14: A Sanctuary Moon

"The Forest Battle" from Episode 6: Return of the Jedi

Chapter 15: A Life Redeemed

"Light Of The Force" from Episode 6: Return of the Jedi

Chapter 16: A New Day Dawns

"Throne Room / Finale" from Episode 4: A New Hope

But the best part is, "iTunes will have a exclusive world premiere first listens." I guess maybe that means Sony doesn't have much faith in their own music download service.

Neil

What's the difference between "Battle of the Heroes" and "Anakin vs Obi-Wan"? Is the former just a theme, and the latter a scene?

Well, this DVD is good news. I had hoped there would be some kind of summation of all the music, but I didn't think it would happen until the DVD release of Ep. 3.

Anyway, the press release gave away a plot surprise for me. Well, maybe not a surprise, just a plot point that chronologically happens earlier than I thought. So I'm going to stay away from all press releases until May 19.

Jeff -- who will not buy the CD until March 20. But you knew that.

18.95 suggested retail price, which means we can find it for about 13 to 14 bucks give or take a buck or two.

Is there anything about multiple covers, 'cause God knows I want to buy it with as many different covers as possilbe. :(

Is there anything about multiple covers, 'cause God knows I want to buy it with as many different covers as possilbe. :(

Quiet you fool! They may hear you!

Neil