Star Wars Post Mortem

Lurker

Look, more work is being done to change Star Wars.

Here's what Lucas had to say about the converting the films into 3-D: "It's really a beautiful system, and one of the reasons I'm promoting it today is I'm extremely anxious to reissue that old group of films I did so long ago in a galaxy far away."

Neil

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is Lucas completely incapable of creating anything that doesn't somehow relate to Star Wars? Yes, I know about American Graffiti and THX, and all of the other wonderfull productions he's involved himself in, but for God's sake, let it go George.

Tim

I'm sure in some interview at some point he'll say he always intended Star Wars to be a 3D film he just didn't have the time or money to complete it that way. :P

Neil

What 3-D technology? Do they mean polarized light?

it means 3 dimensions, so that the picture isn't flat on the screen. There have been many 3D movies, some more successful than others. Many are absolutely wreached, yet all have their signature shot, where something flys off the screen right in your face.

The best I have ever seen is the Terminator 3D at Universal, between the 3D effects, the motion effects, and the mechanical effects, I was thankful that I wasn't shot or killed.

Really I don't care if Lucas makes these changes, as long as I get a Star Wars that is uncut from 1977, then he can do what he wants. In fact I would not gripe as much if he would just do that.

That's great news! If it's even close to the quality of The Polar Express 3D, it'll be a great experience.

Really I don't care if Lucas makes these changes, as long as I get a Star Wars that is uncut from 1977, then he can do what he wants.  In fact I would not gripe as much if he would just do that.

They released those...

Actually...I'm pretty excited about that! Come on, I mean...you have to admit that the concept of a 3D Star Wars makes you just a little excited. I mean, if you consider it a bashing of "your" movie...then you'll always have your copies of the older versions. They're his babies...and he thinks it would be cool to have them in 3D. I agree.

you have to admit that the concept of a 3D Star Wars makes you just a little excited.

Perhaps in a different environment, like Star Tours, where the novelty doesn't have time to wear out it's welcome.

if you consider it a bashing of "your" movie...then you'll always have your copies of the older versions.

Can you imagine a future where people will be clamoring for bootleg copies of the 2D version of Star Wars? It almost sounds laughable but in light of this announcement, I just don't know. I see this as the further plundering of a once wonderful resource. Sadly, it seems the owner didn't realize the creative well dried up a long time ago.

They're his babies

Then this constitutes child abuse.

he thinks it would be cool to have them in 3D.  I agree.

No one seems to realize anymore that at one time Star Wars (before it was trapped in a web of sequels and prequels) was a great film. It's now become a circus sideshow, a novelty act. Success must be really awful for Lucas for him to keep going back and wrecking the film that really made him.

Neil

I took this from Aint It Cool News:

Shortly after the big Fox bash, there was an amazing 3-D digital presentation featuring a panel that I still can't believe I was witness to. I'm still shaking from it. GEORGE LUCAS, JAMES CAMERON, ROBERT ZEMECKIS, AND ROBERT RODRIGUEZ all on the same stage and only a few feet away from me (Randal Kleiser of Disneyland�s "Honey I Blew Up the Audience" fame was also on hand). I� write for an entertainment site (not nearly as cool as yours--but still cool nonetheless) so I was fortunate enough to stick around for an exclusive press conference immediately following the amazing presentation, but I'll get to that in a minute. As everyone is already well aware, George Lucas has always been about pushing forward when it comes to technology. In addition to creating the beloved Star Wars series, Lucas has always been heavily involved in making sure that his movies are presented in the best possible way. So along with James Cameron and the previously mentioned film making heavy weights, Lucas is on a crusade to bring 3-D to theaters everywhere, and not just in a "Comin' At Ya" novelty sort of way. We're talking quality movies presented in 3-D through digital projection. Now this could be a tricky proposition as the theater industry is perfectly content with the way things are, and there are plenty out there who aren't too fond of the whole�3-D gimmick. �Hell, even Roger Ebert has said in the past that he isn't really into the 3-D thing (although he did give a very favorable review to James Cameron's recent Ghosts of the Abyss). If Ebert were able to see what we saw at this presentation, I guarantee his opinion would be greatly altered.

Not only is Lucas interested in the future of this technology, but he's also hoping to tinker with pre-existing films such as Star Wars. And this is where the highlight of ShoWest 2005 came into play. Lucas and Cameron presented a couple of promo reels demonstrating digital 3-D. Included--the first eight minutes of A New Hope transferred into the 3-D format. What can I tell you? No words can describe it. The quality of what we saw was staggering. In many ways, it looked better than the standard 2-D print. In addition, we were treated to numerous 3-D transferred scenes including Attack of the Clones, Lilo and Stitch, and a couple of quick scenes from Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings. It was absolute breathtaking, and I'm still sort of reeling from it.

What's more, George Lucas let the audience in on his big master plan. This isn't official, but Lucas did say what he hopes to do is re-release Star Wars in theaters yet again. He would do so �in the year 2007 for the 30th anniversary, but this time, the film will be in 3-D. Then he'll re-release one installment each year starting the following year, until we've seen the entire series in 3-D. WOW! This guy is a madman. But a brilliant mad man. After this presentation was over, I was completely sold on the entire idea. Listening to these icons talk about the process and their pure love for movies and the future of film presentation, was incredibly infectious, and after the press conference was over, I was even more excited about the idea.

Yes, this does get me excited...

:D

It feels so great to be an optimist! :P

I'm as cynical as they come, but even I can't be pessimistic about the prospect of Star Wars in 3D...

In some ways Star Wars is the film equivilant of Michael Jackson's face.

I don't like the idea of regular movies just being released as 3D all the time. It would definitely wear thin after a while, and probably even become tiring to experience. Plus, they tried this and countless other novelty gimmicks back in the day, most of which were shortlived for a reason.

Ray Barnsbury

I pretty much agree with Joe.

I would not have so much of a problem with this tinkering if it was possible to legally obtain the original versions.

I was never happy with the changes to the 20th anniversary cut of E.T., but since the original version is readily availeble, I'm not much bothered by it.

I pretty much agree with Joe.

I would not have so much of a problem with this tinkering if it was possible to legally obtain the original versions.

I was never happy with the changes to the 20th anniversary cut of E.T., but since the original version is readily availeble, I'm not much bothered by it.

That's right, Lucas' lack of respect for the original is disturbing. Millions of fans adored those movies and what does he do? He's showing his gratitude by giving them his middle finger.

----------------

Alex Cremers

I guess this board does not realize that Lucas is attempting to cash in on ever little thing about Star Wars.....

It should be obvious that the original cuts will come to DVD when he believes he can not make anymore money OR he is dead and his family (or those that own the rights) believes that they can not make anymore money.

It's a deadly cycle:

Star Wars fans (err...well some of them) want everything to do with Star Wars.

If they don't have it they will pay for it.

This of couse creates a "Cash-Cow" that Lucas milks when he runs out of (or the potential of making) money.

Lucas makes something "new" and SW fans buy it blindly because they "NEED" it.

Lucas is assured that fans will buy whatever is out there.

If you owned the rights to something that could make you a lot of cash than you would use it to make everything. If you did not than others will cash in on the craze. Which means that if you don't use it to make the money someone else will.

So, in short, if fans do not buy every little thing that comes out the Original Versions will come. Until then Lucas will just milk the fans. If you do not see this than either: i. You don't understand business (or Economics but basic business understanding will surely make you see it). ii. You are a Star Wars fan that "NEEDS" everythin related to SW. or iii. You believe that GREED does not play any role in anything in the world (basically i.).

So unless you can get all SW fans to stop buying every little thing. You must accept that what you want is far, far away.

I guess this board does not realize that Lucas is attempting to cash in on ever little thing about Star Wars.....

You seem to have strongly underestimated us, my friend.

It's clear Lucas does nothing more than milk his franchise until the last drop has long dried out. And it's even more annoying that he keeps making excuses to change the films and not release the originals. Git.

- Marc, who has not bought the trilogy on DVD, and will not until a new corrected version is released.

I guess you don't realize that we are alot smarter than you give us credit for. maybe we should prejudge you too, uninteresting posts about Halloween 6, :joy:

I mean certain people on this board do not realize this.

If I said the whole board than I must not have read Neil's, Joe's and numerous others here.

Of course those that say that George has killed the Original Trilogy have the majority of the posts. They do not have the majority of the opinions of the outside world.

So yes the major members of the board say what he has done is bad.

I hope I did not confuse you even further.

EVEN MORE H6 "discussion" (Yeah with myself) :?

AND if I did.........Go watch Halloween 6 Producer's Cut.........At least it will hopefully take your mind off my posts. And you will see the awesome hallway shots and Tommy's(IIRC) twitches.

And if you understand that movie go watch H6 T-Cut. With the butchering of the ending and getting rid of almost all of Donald Pleasence's scenes. And of course the fetuses that serve no point. The only thing this movie does that is good is that it shows that MM could not be controlled by some cult.

ADMIT IT.....You have already skipped most of this magnificent post that has everything to do with Star Wars.

Star Wars the butchering of a classic. H6 the butchering of a movie that was never seen........and clearly a point of interest for this board.

Star Wars the butchering of a classic. H6 the butchering of a movie that was never seen........and clearly a point of interest for this board.

Star Wars was scored by John Williams.

To my knowledge that was not the case with any version of Halloween 6

If we are going to talk about Halloween, then lets talk about the original or the original sequel, all others don't matter, even the ones with Jamie Lee Looking for a Paycheck Curtis.

And I and others have written magnificent posts to Star Wars that far outshine any in this thread.

If we are going to talk about Halloween' date=' then lets talk about the original or the original sequel, all others don't matter, even the ones with Jamie Lee Looking for a Paycheck Curtis.[/quote']

HAHA. She even speaks out about these movies now. "Jamie Lee Looking for a Paycheck Curtis" that is not Classic but its damn funny.

And I and others have written magnificent posts to Star Wars that far outshine any in this thread.

That is true......I have read them in my lurking and my better days. (read: before I started to post)

If Lucas wants to take Star Wars into 3-D, he shouldn't do it with the originals (or the prequels), but should try it with like an hour-long IMAX type of show. Although after going to a cool 3-D IMAX show about a space station on a 7th grade field trip to Chicago and reading a 3D SW comic book as a kid, I've got to admit SW3D is having a hard time making me hate it. I can imagine the asteroid field chase being pretty intense, but since we know which asteroids fly by when, then we're not going to freak out much.

Star Wars was scored by John Williams.

To my knowledge that was not the case with any version of Halloween 6

Actually the description for the GD does not say that this part of the foum is only for movies with John Williams music.

It says:

"JOHN WILLIAMS, Film music, movies, music...."

Sorry if I have read wrong........

Obviously I forgot the sarcasm emoticon on what you have quoted me on. As it has been mentioned, elsewhere, this board favours a select bunch of movies....the others are either utter garbage or not worth the time of the board.

Which raises another question: IS THIS POST WORTH YOUR TIME???

The simple answer is: No. But you wasted your time reading thus far.......you can stop now.

O... kay...

I must say though, no matter how much we - well some of us - love to hate Lucas for his constant tinkering and his stubbornness to not release the original versions, I still think seeing Star Wars in 3D would be quite an experience - if done well.

But what effect would this have on the home entertainment market? 3D in the living room hasn't really worked so far. This will probably be an exclusive thing, unless they really start to push it. But somehow I can't believe Lucas - or any other filmmaker - would really be that stubborn.

- Marc, who will wait and see.

The best I have ever seen is the Terminator 3D at Universal, between the 3D effects, the motion effects, and the mechanical effects, I was thankful that I wasn't shot or killed.

Ok, that is what I wondered. I saw Terminator at Universal too as well as Shrek 3-D. They made use of polarized light. If it is indeed the same technology which the directors meant at the press conference it will mean you have to wear goggles.