Anne Dudley anyone?

stewdog1

I just ordered an import of hers called Seriously Chilled. I have heard pieces from this and am very intrigued by what she has to offer. I am aware that she got an academy award for The Full Monty and did American History X, The Crying Game, etc.

I was wondering if anyone here is familiar with her music and if you like it or not. I want to look into her The Art of Noise stuff as I heard that is quite good too.

I have the Full Monty OST and, although there is very little of her actual music on there, what there is is quite impressve......rhythmic and tuneful - she writes the kind of tune that sticks in your head for ages.....

American History X is really good, but believe it or not one of her best compositions is for the flawed Buster starring dear old Phil Collins - the train robbery cue is terrific!

The only Art of Noise work I know of is Tom Jones' Kiss.

- Tim, still shocked at her Oscar win for The Full Monty - but then again so was she! :mrgreen:

I am shocked that she didn't get a nomination for "The Crying Game." It's a great score. I thought that at least it would get a nomination based on the popularity of the film.

Dil's theme is romantic and mysterious. Just like the character.

Jeff -- who thinks the score for "The Full Monty" was the best in its Oscar category that year, though not the favorite based on popularity

I strongly recommend "Ancient and Modern". It's a Christmas-themed collection of Rennaissance pieces (Coventry Carol and Veni Veni etc). Gorgeous music. As for Art of Noise, their best albums are 'In Visible Silence', and the classic first album 'Who's Afraid of the Art of Noise'. Expect a lot of mid-80s Trevor Horn industrial sounds on the latter.

Jeff -- who thinks the score for "The Full Monty" was the best in its Oscar category that year, though not the favorite based on popularity

:| I personally thought My Best Friends Wedding & Anastasia were far superior, hell even Men In Black was!

The only reason Dudley got the Oscar is supposedly due to all the songs used in the film, but enough about Oscar and his mistakes!

- Tim.

The only thing I know Anne Dudley for, other than The Full Monty, are her arrangements for the spanish pop group Mecano, a personal favorite. She worked with them in their best album, incidently. Imagine the shock when I found out.

;) I personally thought My Best Friends Wedding & Anastasia were far superior, hell even Men In Black was!

The only reason Dudley got the Oscar is supposedly due to all the songs used in the film, but enough about Oscar and his mistakes!

- Tim.

I totaly agree. The score was totaly negligable, had very little impact on the movie. My Best Friend's Wedding, Anasatia and As Good as it gets were far more deserving. And IMO MIB could have gotten it just for the main theme. Best Friend's Wedding in particular deserved it.

• 15 years later...

Anne Dudley was member of The Art of Noise? I didn't know that. I had the "Who's Afraid of..." record. They really made a difference at their time.

And out of curiousity I bought her score to "Felidae", an animated movie to a book I had read in a 2nd hand CD shop. Nice solid dramatic score. But I never saw the movie and never connected her with TAoN. 

• 2 years later...
16 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Poldark is amazing scoring and maybe my favorite main title of all time (if only it wasn’t so short!)

Breathtaking.

Yavar

Absolutely agree! It’s one of my favorite tv shows of all time. The score is sublime.

16 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Poldark is amazing scoring and maybe my favorite main title of all time (if only it wasn’t so short!)

Breathtaking.

Yavar

Better than all of Goldsmith's main titles?

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Dudley's work with Art Of Noise is great.

THE SEDUCTION OF CLAUDE DEBUSSY is a stunning record.

Interesting. I just had the "Who's afraid of..." album on LP and "Daft" on CD. But I mostly listened to the various versions of "Moments in Love". 

On 11/08/2023 at 8:43 PM, GerateWohl said:

Interesting. I just had the "Who's afraid of..." album on LP and "Daft" on CD. But I mostly listened to the various versions of "Moments in Love". 

You really need to listen to TSOCD.

"Imagine an actor saying the following".

"Imagine me saying the following".

I melt every time I hear that!

• 3 months later...

Even though I just went through Dudley's career to fill some holes (including Art of Noise), that one slipped by me. Thanks for the heads-up, Geratewohl!

On 05/08/2023 at 3:42 AM, JTWfan77 said:

How is her score for The 10th Kingdom?

From what I can remember from the dim, distant past, The 10th Kingdom music was good, traditional stuff you'd expect from a fairy tale sort of story. I think I had the soundtrack at one point? Check it out for yourself if you can:

Spotify - 10th Kingdom OST

I remember enjoying the miniseries well enough. Somewhat cheesy, light-hearted and fun. I watched it mainly because of the cute-as-a-friggin-button Kimberly Williams (I refuse to add that singer's name). *sigh* So lovely.

I also did really enjoy what little we got of her score on the Buster soundtrack. Would have liked to have heard more, but what can ya do.

Also like her jaunty "Jeeves and Wooster" theme. Very spot-on for the period.

16 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

Is Dudley's Pushing Tin score worth picking up?

It has a couple of stunning tracks, like the opening. But the rest isn't that interesting, IMO.

I recently had a walkthrough of Dudley's career too (as I mentioned earlier), and PUSHING TIN was acquired, but not imported into my iTunes.

One should get AMERICAN HISTORY X (her masterpiece), ANCIENT & MODERN, BENEDETTA, POLDARK and PUSHING TIN. And then perhaps the odd Art of Noise album. Then you're set.

Thanks Thor.

I'm looking at stuff that is readily available to me at really affordable prices:

Buster

The 10th Kingdom

Gentlemen Don't Eat Poets

And the aforementioned Pushing Tin

3 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

Thanks Thor.

I'm looking at stuff that is readily available to me at really affordable prices:

Buster

The 10th Kingdom

Gentlemen Don't Eat Poets

And the aforementioned Pushing Tin

Warning! Hands off Gentlemen Don't Eat Poets! Nice music. But the album is rather a radio play of the movie than a soundtrack album. Dialogues between and during the tracks. An awful listening if you just want to hear good music. 

I can pick it up for like USD 1.50.

Maybe I can run it through Audacity's vocal removal tool.

Gave the first five or six tracks a listen on Spotify and wow! What an incredible score! So annoying about the dialogue (and SFX to boot) though.

Who started this trend of including film dialogue over music on soundtrack albums and when do we get to tar and feather them?

Imagine someone saying "nah, don't get that soundtrack album. It's only got the music, there's no talking".

Update. Gave the rest of the tracks a scan-through listen and it appears there are quite a few clean cues sans dialogue..thank goodness.

I'll be ordering this tomorrow.

I'm in South Africa. There are probably no more than five serious score collectors here including myself*.

Although used score CDs are scarce here, when they do pop up in second hand stores or online they're a steal. The most I've ever paid here for a used score CD is around USD 20 - for Kamen's Baron Munchausen. Generally one can pick stuff up for between USD 1 and 5, but I've even acquired a good few score CDs for a quarter or two each.

* Disclaimer: this is a rough estimate, there may be significantly less ;)