The Doctor Who Thread.....

Greg1138

Is the new Doctor going to be a 6th Doctor redo?

Starts out a bit of a dick, softens later.

Maybe, but considering his affinity for Pertwee I'd imagine a Doc closer to him than anyone.

Then I guess you're gonna be SOL. Pertwee is the all-round greatest Doctor. End of.

Is the new Doctor going to be a 6th Doctor redo?

Starts out a bit of a dick, softens later.

Colin Baker never had a chance. He got divorced from Liza Goddard, who was good friends with...

As Yvonne Hartman once said: "Do some research".

When CB was DW, Grade was head of BBC One. He made no bones about hating DW, and he tried to kill it off. All this stuff about an 18-month hiatus is BS! DW died in 1985!

The fans, however, persuaded MG to ressurect it, hence "The Trial Of A Time Lord" - the trial of DW echoed the "trial" of the show.

How we all laughed at the metaphysics! ;)

In the meantime, CB got divorced from Ms Goddard, who was very good friends with...MG. Ergo, CB had no chance. MG wanted CB out and said to JNT "either he goes, or you do"...

CB offered to come back for a regeneration story, but either JNT, or MG wanted him to film just one episode, to which CB said "please move to another location, and have sexual relations with your person" (or words to that effect).

The rest is DW history.

About the new Doctor's personality; Capaldi has said that he won't be 'anyone's idea of boyfriend material'. Colman has said that 'He's definitely a bit less 'people-friendly' than Matt's Doctor; less patient and more blunt and to-the-point'.

Den Of Geek's review of Deep Breath suggests that he is 'broken and mysterious'. It also says that it takes full advantage of its 75-minute runtime, taking time to tell the story; there's less frantic dashing about and more of the Doctor's 'sleuthing' side (a concession to Capaldi's age? Possibly).

Yeah ... if you add up Asylum Of The Daleks, The Snowmen, last year's 8 episodes and this year's, Coleman barely did 2 full series. Shame ... Clara is a sparky character, and Coleman's prettiness isn't exactly a drawback either :D .

But we'll see what happens.

Pity - it doesn't feel like she's been doing it for long at all.

I also hope Capaldi is going to stay with it for a good number of series. Hopefully his more established status won't mean he feels he needs to move on quicker than Tennant & Smith did.

Well then ... Deep Breath. Gotta say, a T-Rex in the Thames in Victorian London coughing up the Tardis onto the riverbank was one hell of a start :) .

It's early days of course, but already Capaldi seems to be switching between quirkiness, humour (of which there was much more in this episode than I was expecting) and steeliness with ease, and Coleman did some of her most impressive work yet in the scenes where she stood up to Madam Vastra and the 'Half-Face Man'. References to both the Tenth and Eleventh Doctors featured (indeed, Eleven even popped up to reassure Clara (and by extension, us) that we'll be just fine with the 'new guy') and new plot arc seeds were sown.

Liked that the title sequence was less 'busy' than Smith's last set (and that it's from a fan-made YouTube vid that impressed Moffat) but am not crazy about the new version of the theme. But overall, I'm happy.

Daleks next week, talk about throwing the new boy in at the deep end ...

I quite liked the season opening. Capaldi's is an interesting interpretation on the Doctor, that much is certain, and I really enjoyed this scowlingly intense version of him. Despite his steeliness at times there was a nice warm humour brewing underneath. And the story was very typical Doctor, perhaps a tad too many impulses in Moffat's script for my liking but it did start the season with a bang. Pure zany escapism again. :)

I am glad Finnish broadcasting company is showing this fresh so for once there is not the typical year of waiting for the latest season as with most shows.

I quite liked the season opening. Capaldi's is an interesting interpretation on the Doctor, that much is certain, and I really enjoyed this scowlingly intense version of him. Despite his steeliness at times there was a nice warm humour brewing underneath. And the story was very typical Doctor, perhaps a tad too many impulses in Moffat's script for my liking but it did start the season with a bang. Pure zany escapism again. :)

I am glad Finnish broadcasting company is showing this fresh so for once there is not the typical year of waiting for the latest season as with most shows.

I agree with everything you said!

I also like how Capaldi's new theme is a newfangled version of I am The Doctor.

The episode was interesting. I think Capaldi gets some getting used to, but is a well-needed fresh take. I look forward to this season with him. The plot wasn't all that interesting though; a typical Doctor adventure, but I wish it started with more of a bang.

As for the music, well I'm very disappointed to hear that the new Doctor's theme has resorted to generic power anthem intervals. Pity.

I liked Capaldi, and I liked the character work for Clara, which was much needed IMO. I think the two will play well together. I think the episode was too long with not enough going on - I am thankful for the slowed down pace, especially given the story deluge of the later Matt Smith seasons, but this could have been a single episode rather than double-length and still have worked great. Seemed like a bit of fat to trim.

I was a bit hard at times, and I tend to watch a lot of British tv and accents hardly get in the way for me. His Scottish accent is really strong, but I'm sure over time it will be easier to understand.

As for the episode, I thought it was pretty good. Not quite as good a start as The Eleventh Hour, but I enjoyed that it made a definitive statement that the fairy tale era is over and we're into something new. I not too happy about that cameo near the end however, as it works now but will probably be seen negatively after some time has passed. All in all, I enjoyed the slower pace, and after the too zany first half, the episode really hit its stride in the restaurant. Capaldi is a tremendous actor and Coleman shows she can do more than just the flirty fun stuff she did with Smith. I'm hoping for a good season and hopefully its closer in structure to Season 5 than the previous two in terms of plot and narrative.

As for the opening I like it, music and all. The music could be better (the version used in the fan version is loads better) but it has a different quality which is nice and a clear departure from the last few series, though the sting at the beginning could be bolder.

I not too happy about that cameo near the end however, as it works now but will probably be seen negatively after some time has passed.

All things considered, I think it was a wise call to have the scene. Any regeneration is going to be the first regeneration for many viewers, and with Capaldi being such a big change from any of the Nu-Who Doctors, I can completely understand why they would want to reassure the younger viewers out there that the show is in good hands.

Just saw this.

It has some resemblance with The Christmas Invasion in that it features the companion having trouble dealing with the Doctors new face.

The story is interesting enough, but fairly typical Who fare. Once again Moffat shows that he really can't do en epic story like RDT could. (A T-rex loose in London and the people barely seem phased)

Coleman is indeed excellent as the Clara who has to deal with a newer, but older guy. I love the talk between her and Madam Vastra.

I did have one issue though. Clara is the Impossible girl, version of her have been through time and space helping the Doctor. She met the 10th Doctor, and the even older, even crankier War Doctor. Yet she seems as surprised and stunned as Rose Tyler was when Eccleston became Tennant.

Also, she doesnt seem to know why Amy is. Does that seem right?

I'm already convinced that Capaldi will make an excellent 12th....or 14th...or 1st Doctor (Moffat really screwed up the numbering here).

He has that gravitas that an older actor has. But is also an excellent comedic actor, and combines those 2 qualities well in the scenes where The Doctor wanders around confused, wondering who he is and whats going on. The scene with the tramp is both funny and slightly unsettling. (Moffat can't resist a few digs at the current Scottish political situation, but I think that will age this ep fast)

Interesting how the verbal sparring between Capaldi and Coleman is a lot less light them between Smith and Coleman. This Doctor might have a bit of Malcolm Tucker inside him.

The bit where the Doctor wonders where he has seen his own face before will go over well with the continuity whores, since Capaldi was in The Fires Of Pompeii. But it's a bit too nerdy for my liking.

The Smith cameo is pure Moffat wibbly wobbly timey whimey stuff, and actually very moving. For me it worked. Not just because it was nice to see Smith again, but how Capaldi insisted that HE is that man, showing fear and uncertainty probably better then any of the modern Doctors.

I also loved the return of the paternoster gang. RTD introduced the concept of gay characters on the show, and I have to say that the straight Moffat does an excellent job pushing the envelope there. While in the RDT era the same-sex stuff mostly consisted of throwaway lines of minor characters, with Jenny and Vastra Moffat are basically saying, "we have lesbian regulars, deal with it", only disguised by the fact that one is a lizard woman from the dawn of time...

The plot moved a bit slower that in the last 2 series, thankfully.

I'm not sure if Moffat referencing The Girl In The Fireplace, is just to excuse the fact that he's once again mining from that story, or if that will be relevant in any way.

The lead robot/man wasnt a very interesting villain. (we havent had a great baddie on Who in a very long time now). Curious to see how the arc will go this season. The woman called Missy at the end referred The Doctor as her boyfriend. I wonder if Moffat will resist the temptation of bringing River back again.

Special effects were pretty ropey in places, and the was Deep Breath was shot was a bit schizo, The Victorian stuff looked very good, almost film like, but anything a bit sci-fi related looked like BBC sci-fi...

Gold's score was OK, slightly different style. The theme didn't click for me though. I really dislike the new title sequence. Didnt care for yet another rearrangement of the theme. (In RTD's era we had two, i think with Moffat we are on to 4 or 5 now)

Doctor Who when introducing his assistant - She's my... (forgetting)

Clara - I'm his carer

Doctor - That's right, she's my carer - she cares so I don't have to.

Classic Capaldi.

Yes!

It's amazing the difference a new lead actor makes actually. His Doctor is far more menacing. Even the obligatory "funny comments" have a tinge of deep cynicism about them. Even the "angry" Eccleston Doctor seems sociable in comparison.

Also, visually this is one of the better looking episodes I've seen by far. Not all of the CGI works. But the camerawork didt have that trademark BBCisn-ness to it. It's not HBO by any means, but quite a step forward.

Contents wise this was quite an interesting story. A variation on The Fantastic Voyage of-course, and a thinly veiled one. But some of the philosophical concepts actually held water.

Capaldi was very strong in his first Dalek adventure, and I liked the fact that Coleman still doesnt really know what to make of him. The chatty and chummy friendship is still a bit tainted.

I for one never thought the Daleks were scary. In the 60's maybe, for very small kids. But this episode really did restore a menace to them that i haven't seen since The Big Bang.

Two aspects relating to the series 8 arc. Clara hooking up with a potential new boyfriend. Who looks butch but does act a bit Rory like. The Doctor not liking soldiers all that might might make things interesting.

Missy welcomes another person into heaven...whatever that means.

I've been thinking.

Missy can be short for Mistress, which is the female form of Master. Moffat loves word puns like that (Melody Pont/River Song)

A good episode that has all the usual ingredients of a Doctor Who episode. Daleks, a spaceship, soldiers, lots of running in corridors. Yet it does all look and feel and sound (Murray has changed his style again) a bit different, and a bit fresher that what I've seen in the last few series

BBC one and two have been available on cable here since the 80's!

How do you think I became English?

I also grew up watching Sky Channel.

We don't get ITV, Channel 4 and 5 etc etc here though. Am I missing out never having watched I'm A Celebrity, Get Me Out Of Here or the many shows hosted or narrated by Danny Dyer?