The Doctor Who Thread.....

Greg1138

Nothing. We have Freeview. It has HD channels and all that stuff. If you want you can purchase a package from Richard Branson or Rupert Murdoch and have all the latest movies and football matches, but we don't bother with any of that. I believe a good premium package from one of those costs about £35 p/m.

But really, Freeview has more than enough shite already on it.

Wow ... 'dark' has become over-used, but Capaldi's Doctor genuinely is. Not without touches of humour (the 'proctocologist' line was genuinely funny), but blunt, no-nonsense, less 'human-friendly' (anyone else's jaw drop at 'Eh, he was dead already. I was saving US'?).

He is RIVETING. God only knows what the kiddies/'only interested in hawt Doctors' fangirls are making of it, bwhahaha.

It is the best Dalek-centric story of the Moffat era by far, which makes me a bit more hopefull for the upcoming Cybermen story. The Cybermen really havent fared well the last few years at all.

OK arc speculations and other ruminations

Danny Pink shedding a tear to the question if he ever killed someone who wasnt a soldier. Followed by him being introduced to Clara as a "ladykiller" which he strenuously denies.

Might be a first hint towards the who and how of Coleman leaving the show, if that rumor is indeed true.

Unlike RDT once again Moffat has a Dalek or Cyberman story that doesnt really give any proper context to the going on. It's humans against Daleks, but where? in what century?

The score for this episode was quite restraint, and like last week features a lot of retro sounding 70's and 80's type synths. Quite esoteric at times.

I really appreciate Capaldi's grim Doctor very much after seeing the Dalek episode. Doctor has had some moody moments during the new run of the show but Capaldi's face is just born to be the new mature world worn version of him. There is self doubt, self loathing even in the character, something profoundly sad and pessimistic and the actor brings that out so well. He is not as childishly skittish as the previous incarnations even when he gets an idea and I like it. Still he is also capable of such warmth and has that glint of mischief and excitement in his eye when need be. But obviously the Doctor is going to a new direction, hopefully, this season.

Let's see how they fare in the Sherwood Forest next week. Will there be more swash and buckle in Capaldi's step after that? ;)

Just watched Deep Breath again.

I actually think the Matt Smith cameo is very effective in linking the new Doctor to his incarnation. Highlighting the contrast between the 2 actors ("He sounds old, tell me I didnt get old"). And then basically having Capaldi beg Clara to see him as the same man.

Wow ... 'dark' has become over-used, but Capaldi's Doctor genuinely is. Not without touches of humour (the 'proctocologist' line was genuinely funny), but blunt, no-nonsense, less 'human-friendly' (anyone else's jaw drop at 'Eh, he was dead already. I was saving US'?).

He is RIVETING. God only knows what the kiddies/'only interested in hawt Doctors' fangirls are making of it, bwhahaha.

I have a female friend who is a BIG Tennant fangirl. It took her until midway into 6 to start liking Smith at all and still holds quite a flame for 10.

That being said, she immediately got hooked by Capaldi and is loving this incarnation. It would seem that while she was brought in presumably by a hawt Doc, she is staying around for the good stories and acting. So if her reaction is anything to go by, I don't think there is a big backlash against Capaldi as he's already proven himself to be amazing in the role.

BTW, did anyone happen to catch After Who on BBC America following Deep Breath. Gatiss told a story of him inviting Capaldi to the set of AAISAT to look at the old TARDIS and what not and Capaldi lamented that he was too old to play the Doctor, all while Gatiss knew they were looking at him to replace Smith. It really comes through how much he enjoys the show and being a part of it.

Capaldi is great and takes some warming up to love. But I wasn't the biggest fan of the last two episodes. I did enjoy them though.

Reminds me of Tennant.

Star Wars and LOTR fanboys can be impossibly anal, but I actually think the Whovians are the worst ones.

Apparently the phrase "resistance is futile" which was uttered several times in Into The Dalek, is in no way a reference to Star Trek or the Borg, because Star Trek was never more then a cult show in the UK.....

Sigh....

Reminds me of Tennant.

Star Wars and LOTR fanboys can be impossibly anal, but I actually think the Whovians are the worst ones.

Apparently the phrase "resistance is futile" which was uttered several times in Into The Dalek, is in no way a reference to Star Trek or the Borg, because Star Trek was never more then a cult show in the UK.....

Sigh....

Actually, the Daleks used it quite often in the 60s. Star Trek just lifted it from Who. If I remember correctly, it was used in the very first Dalek story way back in 1963.

Am I the only one who thought the whole Danny Pink scenes were forced in some way? The production, not the acting. The close up tear...eh...

I love Capaldi as the Doctor. The way he was observing Journey Blue in The Tardis was unnerving and almost sinister. Been there done, that: cut to the shit. He doesn't say anything he just looks at her. "You'd starve trying to find the light switch."

Am I the only one who thought the whole Danny Pink scenes were forced in some way? The production, not the acting. The close up tear...eh...

I love Capaldi as the Doctor. The way he was observing Journey Blue in The Tardis was unnerving and almost sinister. Been there done, that: cut to the shit. He doesn't say anything he just looks at her. "You'd starve trying to find the light switch."

Yeah. He has that Malcolm Tucker element to him obviously. He just doesn't use a lot of cuss words of bewildering descriptive power. He uses eye brows and his madman stare. :P

Yeah, even though Journey was the one holding the gun, he was the one in control of the situation. And wasnt afarid to show it.

He uses eye brows and his madman stare.

"And don't look in that mirror! It's absolutely furious!"

Yes, the whole Danny Pink stuff is highly stylized. The tear, the clever cutting back and forth between Clara asking him out, and him banging his head against the desk. The "ladykiller" bit, and the fact that he used to be a soldier and the Doc now hates soldiers. There's very much a point to all this, most likely for the season arc, and they arent being subtle about it.

Btw, if Coleman does leave at the end of this series, she won't actually have had that bad of a run.

She was in 8 regular series 7 episodes, plus the preceeding Christmas special (The Snowmen) and did the 2 specials afterwards. That combined with (presumably) a full series 8 puts her in 20 episodes and a whopping 3 specials. Which is less then Rose and Amy, but way above Martha and Donna.

The ackward choise of having her as a regular companion mid series 7, and then make her a puzzle rather then a person makes things look worse then they actually are.

Unless she dies next saturday because Robin Hood shoots her.....

You always say that in every thread about a franchise!

I was wrong before. I'm sticking with this one....and you can take me to task if I dont!

I quite liked the playful nuttiness of the first one tbh.

Standout scene was the clockwork restaurant robots.

It's a shame Clara is supposed to be leaving. She's superb. Just as I might have been about to get into it as well.

No no I don't mean the cliche iconography stuff, that's expected! Especially in a worldwide hit show.

What I mean is the production values and the cameras they use, the quaint direction and the excessively lit sets. It still looks like tv. It would be great if they got the Sherlock people in to make it look more cinematic and handsome.

A lot of Matt Smith's tenure had that slick, cinematic look to it, as Sherlock did. This new season is going back to its more campy roots.

I've yet to fall entirely in love with the season. I don't know if it's the lacking plots, or Capaldi's incredibly thick accent. Here's hoping the season arc ties it together nicely.

Clara's never been better though.