The Doctor Who Thread.....

Greg1138

Its not matter of understanding what he says. Sometimes I'm just not sure what kind of performance Capaldi is going for.

Oh I am. He's unhinged.

Honestly, I almost welled up ever so slightly during the Glasgow scene. Because of the chemistry between Clara and the Doc.

Incidentally, whoever wrote this episode was asking the young fans to trust the new "old guy" Doctor more than he was asking Clara to.

It would be great if they got the Sherlock people in to make it look more cinematic and handsome.

Ironically Sherlock is made by the same producers.

Into The Dalek actually did look cinematic to me, the best looking Who in many ways.

But I think it's simply a budget thing. They will never be able to do a series with uniformly solid effects and camerawork.

I've yet to fall entirely in love with the season. I don't know if it's the lacking plots, or Capaldi's incredibly thick accent. Here's hoping the season arc ties it together nicely.

We're 2 episodes in, dude! Give it some time.

And I get where Capaldi is going. But I wonder if he will be reigned in at some point.

I agree the accent can be a bit thick at times. His line delivery is still perfect though. And he does have a hell of a lot more gravitas then Tennant and Smith.

The baddie was very good in the first episode. I actually felt empathy for the character by the end. That's special writing, not to be taken for granted.

He had great lines, delivered beautifully by the actor. Quality FX work on him as well!

Indeed. I wonder where this whole "The Promised Land" arc will be going this series.

The Britishness isn't easy to endure at times, but I'll soldier on, maybe.

I wonder how far you will come, in all honesty. traditionally you are quite picky when it comes to what you watch, and you prefer to watch shows with a high level of quality throughout, which is why you struggled with the last season of GoT.

I love Dr. Who dearly, but it's by far the most frustrating, inconsistent show that is actually worth following. Going from truly brilliant to shockingly average.

The "I've seen this somewhere before" thing certainly had me intrigued. Which is the whole point, obviously! It even feels a bit cheapie cheapie fishy fishy if you know what I mean. Like a Lost cliffhanger ;)

Doesn't contemporary Doctor Who revel in the big grand reveal and little neatly tied bows of plot payoff? (unlike Lost).

Doesn't contemporary Doctor Who revel in the big grand reveal and little neatly tied bows of plot payoff? (unlike Lost).

Depends on the showrunner. In the first 4 series, under Russel T. Davies things were quite neatly wrapped up at the end of the season.

With Steven Moffat in his Matt Smith years, frankly, no.

Last years Christmas special was really a bit of a mess with Steven Moffat dragging old and long forgotten plot threads pout of the woodwork to the Matt Smith era at least some resolution.

Things seem to be nicely tidied up for Capaldi though. So I hope it wont get a friggin' mess again

Did Russel T Davies leave the show then? Moffat is running it now? Ooo, that's a bit concerning.

I wonder how far you will come, in all honesty.

I'm afraid I can't go on anyway. I've erected myself an artificial barrier which blocks progress beyond this point. A barrier which only you, Stayfan Cosman, can unlock.

Russel T Davies did the first 4 series and a few specials. Moffat took over a few years ago already.

Everything with Matt Smith as the Doctor is Moffat.

I'm afraid I can't go on anyway. I've erected myself an artificial barrier which blocks progress beyond this point. A barrier which only you, Stayfan Cosman, can unlock.

With a key, fingerprints, number code or....DNA?

Indeed.

You'd be welcomed with open arms, and if it gets Lee to watch Doctor Who too, you certainly won't hear a peep from me!

You won't need any assistance getting through BB once the first season sinks its teeth in. That, and if I enjoy the lore of Doc Who here, I'm already thinking I might end up tracing down events prior to Capaldi (I actually watched Eccleston's Doctor, back when it aired).

One episode each at a time isn't a good deal, no?

More Breaking Bad love! I came to watch the show later on than most as I just wasn't interested at the time. Now it's a different story and I've convinced my brother to watch it too!

There's a cult for everything. The worst is the ridiculous following Disney's Frozen receives. The movie was actually alright, nothing to write to Capital Hill about though.

If I can convince an out-going gorgeous young 18yr old girl to watch a craggy middle-aged school teacher deal meth then that to me says everything about the show's broad appeal.

She has in turn got her friends and family on it. It is indeed a cult, a huge mainstream one.

Robot Of Sherwood

Fun, typical Mark Gatiss episode. So in a historical setting and with a famous person of history. (I think Night Terrors is the only contemporary story he has done)

They are obviously taking advantage of this new, moody Doctor by pitting him against the cheery Robin Hood. Lots of fun comedy consists of The Doctor not believing the situation he's in, but arguing with Robin Hood anyway.

The basic plot of a bunch of robots repairing a damaged ship and heading for the promised land is pretty much identical to that of Deep Breath, so much that I dont believe its a coincidence or an oversight.

Castle disguised as a spaceship, laser-firing robot knights, chuckles aplenty, Ben Miller as the Sheriff Of Nottingham, swashbuckling action, and Jenna looking GORGEOUS in a medieval dress. Oh, and some nice points made about the need for heroes to believe in.

Great, great fun.

Here's something to look out for ... when the Doctor is skimming through the representations of Robin on the ship's databanks, apparently a certain Mr Troughton appears for a split-second in the Hood telly show he was in 'back in the day'. I missed it, but fortunately rewatching things these days couldn't be easier :) .

A scene in which a character was beheaded revealing him to be a robot, was edited out of the episode's broadcast as it was deemed inappropriate in light of recent events in the news namely, the beheading of two American journalists by terrorist group Islamic State.

The scene can be viewed here.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x25djbb_the-beheading-scene-cut-from-dw-s08e03_shortfilms

It actually sheds some light on one aspect of the episode. So it's a bit of a pity it was cut, though I can understand the circumstances.

Now that episode sold me on this season! Great production values, swift pace, and a very funny Peter Capaldi!! Just a great deal of fun all around.

I'm about to rewatch it.

KK, any trace of a possible new Doctor theme?

EDIT

Ok I think I found it now.

Bit hard to guage is exactly, because most renditions so far are mixed quite low.

It's very Marvel in nature, like a slowed down The Avengers theme.

Yeah, I was looking for it in the first ep and picked it out. The reason its hard to notice is because it doesn't sound like much of a theme. Very disappointing to hear Murray Gold go for the generic power anthem route. Doctor Who has had some really nice melodies over the years, but I guess even this show had to succumb to the oppression of the modern blockbuster sound.

At least Matt Smith's theme (inspired by Zimmer's 160 BPM) sounded cool and had really nifty moments in the show.

Yeah, I liked the playful Robin Hood stuff.

But I hope we'll get to hear something like the lovely Gallifrey theme again (though I doubt it).

Yeah, I liked Clara's theme too. Not sure why I forgot about that.

On another note, the next preview for the next episode looks cool!