The Doctor Who Thread.....

Greg1138

3 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Only if he returns to it in the 1930's. But that episode is stupid anyway.

I get the feeling we agree on basically nothing when it comes to Doctor Who. That's one of my favorite episodes.

5 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I get the feeling we agree on basically nothing when it comes to Doctor Who. That's one of my favorite episodes.

It doesnt make sense to trap Amy and Rory in time if you are doing a show which has a time machine!

17 hours ago, Richard said:

I liked the noir-ish aspects of the story, and I always enjoy looking at River Song (!), but I'm just not fond of the Weeping Angels. BLINK remains their best story.

Of course it does. Blink remains the best story of at least the new Who (I don't know enough of the old stuff to judge). Doesn't mean the rest can't be good.

Every time I visit this thread I am reminded that apparently my opinions are completely different from basically every Doctor Who fan on this forum.  Ah well.

Matt Smith is the best Doctor and "Angels Take Manhattan" is one of his 10 best episodes.

I very much enjoy Matt Smith as the Doctor and thought The Angels Take Manhattan was quite fine and had some clever stuff in it.

Plus Batman got to make fun of it on Super Cafe, so that's another bonus!

• 2 weeks later...

Well that was nice. Not great, mine you, but stupid, in an endearingly funny way. And having Murray Gold write some super hero music is a welcome bonus.

In many ways, it's been a dark year ... I'm not saying that Steven Moffat necessarily had that in mind when he penned 'The Return Of Doctor Mysterio' but it was a welcome slice of sweet, funny and heroic Who, perfect for Christmas Day teatime.

• 4 weeks later...

Watched "The Husbands of River Song".  Pretty solid, but not reall great, episode of Doctor Who.   The success and enjoyment of this episode rests more or less on how much you like River Song.  Personally, I never understood the allure.  The wonderful Alex Kingston playing her doesn't count since the character has to stand on her own, and her relationship with the Doctor never made sense to me, and I don't care much for her in general.  She's a bit of a distraction throughout the Matt Smith years that popped up from time to time.

River Song is great, but they did outlive her welcome, didn't they. Having yet another final/death scene with her, and leeching from a far more beautiful description of their final date in the silence of the library!

The Doctor used to have no romantic interest in his companions at all ... but 10 declared his love for Rose and 11 married River. 

If there'd been any of it with Capaldi, I'd have said that he was going soft in his (very) old age.  

He must have had a romantic interest in someone, or else, how did we get Susan?

He has always had a quasi-romantic interest in his companions, to the extent that he often laid down his life, for them.

As Rose said: "that's some age-gap".

If iad the chance to marry River Song, I would never let her out of my sight...or my bedroom :)

7 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

If there'd been any of it with Capaldi, I'd have said that he was going soft in his (very) old age.  

There was most definitely some serious affection for Clara.  Big fan of their chemistry.

On 22/01/2017 at 0:47 PM, Richard said:

He must have had a romantic interest in someone, or else, how did we get Susan?

He has always had a quasi-romantic interest in his companions, to the extent that he often laid down his life, for them.

As Rose said: "that's some age-gap".

If iad the chance to marry River Song, I would never let her out of my sight...or my bedroom :)

Well, yes ... I should've said that after Hartnell, there are few hints (until the TV movie, when McGann becomes the first 'kissing Doctor') that the Doctor has anything other than a friendly, protective affection for his companions (although I'm told that there's a hint of something more at the end of The Green Death, when Three slips away quietly from Jo's wedding reception).      

Gatiss admits in the current issue of Doctor Who Magazine that himself and Moffat ripped it off for the end of the Sherlock episode 'The Sign Of Three'.

Bloody hated that Sherlock ep. HATED it. 

Noooooo!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-38805151

No modern Doctor lasts more than 3 series... it's like the Defence Against the Dark Arts. I really hope this isn't due to the rumours of some ignorant twat at the BBC wanting a younger, hipper Doctor.

Which reminds me: where the hell is the score release for series 9?

Damn! :(

But at least we'll get one more Christmas special with him. I guess Moffat is still doing that one, too, and Chibnall will take over with a new Doctor in the next series?

30 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Which reminds me: where the hell is the score release for series 9?

Long overdue, along with two Christmas specials by now...

Yes, Chibnall takes over for series 37.

I'm not surprised at this news, nor am I much bothered. Although better than the last one, PC has been a bit of a disappointment.

So...what's going to happen?

Change, my dear, and, it seems, not a moment too soon!

Peter Capaldi is a great Doctor, just let down by poor scripts and Moffat's convoluted arcs. 

Get ready for a younger Doctor again all with the intent of selling more toys...

2 hours ago, RPurton said:

Peter Capaldi is a great Doctor, just let down by poor scripts and Moffat's convoluted arcs. 

Agreed. I think I've only liked a handful of Moffat-written episodes, at best, while I liked almost everything Russell T. Davies did. So Capaldi -- who I really like in the role -- has never really had the opportunity to shine with good material. And now he's off. 

I'm glad a new showrunner is taking over, but I would have loved to see Capaldi stick with it for another season to see how he could have worked with -- hopefully improved -- writing.

2 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

On that 'no modern Doctor does more than 3 years' thing ... it was roughly the same for the majority of the 'classic era' Doctors, too. Tom Baker's 7 years were an exception. 

Sweep, how many years did Jon Pertwee do? Hmm? Eh,child?

I think, especially with Smith's last season and Capaldi's season 9, where Moffat and Co. really changed the tonality of the show that almost got to a point where it was too self-aware to the point of arrogance as if they had figured out what is 'Doctor Who' and what isn't. Russell T. Davies really just kept things simple and most importantly fun.

1 minute ago, Richard said:

I've not seen it, in a couple of years. I'll check it out. Thanks for the tip.

Haha, don't take my word for it, it just felt like Doctor Who to me!