The Doctor Who Thread.....

Greg1138

I guess, although we're entering distinctly 'wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey' territory there.

Rewatched the TV movie last week ... the seeds of what the 2005 relaunch would do are surely first sown here. It ain't perfect, but McGann is great and it's fantastic to see the Tardis interior with a budget that finally lets it fulfil its 'bigger on the inside' potential.  

4 hours ago, Quintus said:

Peter Capaldi is tipping Rising Damp's Frances de la Tour to be the first female Doctor. It's a pity they'll never let her, because I can really see it working.

A pointless, and asinine comment, besides, the choice has already been made (please feel free to ignore this, Quintus).

Maybe not pointless, but the question is moot; the choice has already been made. No Doctor retires without the powers that be knowing who (no pun intended) will replace him.

Personally, the idea of The Doctor regenerating into a female, is ridiculous.

All that stuff that happened in HELL BENT/HEAVEN SENT has no basis. Its just Moffatt doing it because he can. It's bloody-minded, and disrespectful.

Ps  my comment about Quintus' post being "asinine" was unfounded, and I would like to apologise - if he's not too busy ignoring me.

You're apologizing a lot to Quintus today.

As for a female Doctor. Moffat has been seeding that possibility for a few years now. Certainly paved the way for it. I think it's already been decided by the Beeb and the new showrunner. There's only ever been one candidate, surely?

I for one will be delighted to see Alex Kingston as the new Doctor.

I'm delighted to see Alex Kingston, anytime! As The Doctor contains her DNA, it's possible that she could be a Doctor.

Regarding my apologies to Quintus; I opened my mouth about the film SPLIT, revealing a twist, at the end. Quintus didn't like that (understandably) and is now, apparently, "ignoring" me, whatever that means. It seems that I am "wearisome" (his word). For my part, I have always enjoyed, and respected Lee's posts, and I would hate to see him barr me from his computer because of a mistake. It is, however, his decision. I hope that some sort of restitution can be made?

I'm really sorry, but he caught me on a bad day. I had just spent 90 minutes at a local Job Centre trying to sign-on, only to have my claim rejected. I was a little pissed-off, about that, and I took it out on a thread/person, that did not deserve it.

I've seen people floating Richard Ayoade's name.  He's a brilliant comedian but he would so completely wrong for the Doctor.  His onscreen persona is covered in a thick, thick layer of irony and the Doctor's just not an ironic character.  The Doctor's always been portrayed as standoffish but very kind and sincere at heart.  Maybe I'm underestimating him but I couldn't see Ayoade pulling off a performance like that.

11 minutes ago, Richard said:

Thank you, Lee; I do appreciate this. I was stupid, and I'm sorry.

I do hate spoilers when something is still brand new, but it was partly just me being arsey too. 

I'd definitely like to see a female Doctor this time - they've done middle-aged, younger, older. A female actor will add something different to the role.

I can see Ayoade being a Matt Smith-type Doctor - slightly naive in human customs, but also with a more powerful side when things get tough. However, he's doing the new Crystal Maze, so there's an issue. I've only ever see him in the IT Crowd though, so his exposure in terms of his range is pretty limited at the moment.

I quite like the idea of Ben Whishaw, although juggling the Bond and Who schedules might be difficult (and Q is probably quite Doctorish already). I think Ayoade could be interesting.

If they ARE going to go down the 'first female Doctor' route, Olivia Colman please.  

This picture was featured for piss-ripping purposes when The Rock appeared on Graham Norton ... particularly funny is the tissue under his elbow protecting his jumper sleeve from the grubby windowsill.  

• 4 weeks later...

So are they going to kill the doctor AND the new companion?

They're hinting it, but it seems unlikely, no?

And could we see some more living breathing Time Lords and scenes on Gallifrey now that it's back?