The Doctor Who Thread.....

Greg1138

I listened to my first Who audio story the other day, The Chimes of Midnight. It was wonderful, a dense but well-told whodunit led by Paul McGann's extremely charming Doctor. I'm looking forward to another one, any suggestions on what to listen to next?

14 hours ago, Docteur Qui said:

I listened to my first Who audio story the other day, The Chimes of Midnight. It was wonderful, a dense but well-told whodunit led by Paul McGann's extremely charming Doctor. I'm looking forward to another one, any suggestions on what to listen to next?

Try DARK EYES (it even has Toby Jones!).

On 6/9/2018 at 1:56 PM, Docteur Qui said:

If you are digging McGann, I would start with Blood of the Daleks, the introduction to his 4 Series that Big Finish did to simulate his time as a Doctor if he was on tv.  Each series has an overarching plot, and is a nice bridge between classic Who and the modern series.  Lucy Miller (played by Sheridan Smith) is a fantastic companion and some of the stories are really great, which reference classic stories or bring back some former big bads.

If just looking for general recommendations, I'd take a look at Colin Baker's stories, as he really shines in most of his stories and proves if given a proper treatment by some competent people, would have been a great doctor.  

Here's some stories I enjoy

The One Doctor

Jubilee (adapted on tv as Dalek)

Spare Parts (adapted on tv as Rise of the Cybermen)

Love and War

Master (loosely inspired Utopia)

The Foe from the Future

The Light at the End (big 50th anniversary story featuring all living classic doctors and some companions)

Fantastic, thank you very much. I'm really looking forward to getting into Colin Baker's Doctor, I've heard from multiple sources that his television run did not do the man justice.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

They could never afford more established names, you mean?

Not at all. If Auntie can afford Michael Gambon, Derek Jacobi, John Hurt, and Diana Rigg, I'm sure it could spring for someone like David Arnold.

Who'd heard of Murray Gold, before DOCTOR WHO (actually, I had ;)).

32 minutes ago, Richard said:

I'm sure it could spring for someone like David Arnold.

But they have!

As Murray Gold writes about The Stowaway in the Series 3 soundtrack liner notes:

I have to apologise for the boisterous and out of tune voices in the background at the end. They include me (main culprit), Ben, David Arnold and other friends.

He's also mentioned in the liner notes for S4.

Well, *some* David Arnold at least, and seems natural to assume that it's "our" Arnold, but he isn't mentioned elsewhere, and both times without explanation.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Richard said:

0:27. Skaro. It must be Skaro.

On thing's for sure: this is going to be the biggest shake-up, in DOCTOR WHO, since January 3rd, 1970.

Apparently no Daleks this season. Might be pre-Dalek?

I take it you're talking about Jody Whittaker? She's better looking than Capaldi, that's for sure.

39 minutes ago, Arpy said:

Apparently no Daleks this season. Might be pre-Dalek?

That might imply the Kaled/Thal war (which we've already seen)?

It looks like Skaro...or a Dalek-occupied planet.