The Doctor Who Thread.....

Greg1138

Apparently the ratings had fallen dramatically in the last couple of years. A lot of people are probably burnt out on it, the staff included. The 12th Doctor blew its load in his first season, which was my favorite of all the modern DW series. The next season was very uneven and the most recent was a bit mundane overall. I lost interest in many episodes and found myself looking at the status bar to see how much longer I'd have to sit through wide-eyed Bill and boring Doctor doing whatever.

Chibnall has said that it's Doctor Who, so of course there's the Tardis and the sonic ... but 'back references' will be confined to 'Easter Eggs' dotted throughout the series (for example, the Beano Summer Special that Graham's paper gets swapped for in the teaser is the same one that Eleven hid behind when he was spying on Clara's parents in The Rings Of Akhaten).

No Daleks, new monsters ... he wants this series to be a good starting point for people who've never watched before to come on board, without a lot of prior knowledge of the show's history being necessary. 

11 hours ago, Richard said:

You do realise, Marian, that they are paid a lot of money, to seem excited?

If Whittaker is actually completely unfazed by the whole thing and just played her excitement in that interview, she's going to be a fantastic Doctor.

I'm sure she will. We'll know by mid-October...won't we?

I'm just sick of all the hype and publicity that surrounds so-called entertainment. It's presented as the one thing that will change your life (which it won't). Its self-importance is insultingly staggering.

It looks promising as a reboot, perhaps more serious than the last incarnation.

My hope is for it to focus on better stories, i.e. based on moral/ethical dilemmas, and not on some magic 'thing' saving the day.

That would be a good starting off point. I'm curious to see how 13 adjusts to her existence as a "female", after being "male", for so long. How does she behave? How does she react? How does she think, and reason? Does she like being "female" (judging from her reaction to her regeneration, I'd say "yes")?

12 minutes ago, Richard said:

That would be a good starting off point. I'm curious to see how 13 adjusts to her existence as a "female", after being "male", for so long. How does she behave? How does she react? How does she think, and reason? Does she like being "female" (judging from her reaction to her regeneration, I'd say "yes")?

Wouldn't you? ;)

I fear the plot will be about the Doctor's son, named Danny, who will be killed by a weirdo acquaintance. Then the rest of the series will be about finding the murderer, but the murderer won't plead guilty, so they need two more seasons to wrap things up.

Hehehe. 

What would be nice (maybe next season/series, if not this upcoming one) would be for the Doctor to catch up with Susan ... I thought it was on the cards last year with Carole Ann Ford's set visit and Capaldi saying he'd love her to appear (and her picture being on Twelve's desk in his university rooms), but no.   

I like the new sonic screwdriver.

10 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I fear the plot will be about the Doctor's son, named Danny, who will be killed by a weirdo acquaintance. Then the rest of the series will be about finding the murderer, but the murderer won't plead guilty, so they need two more seasons to wrap things up.

Huh. What a vivid imagination ;)

30 minutes ago, Richard said:

To each their own, I guess :), although its an interesting subject: what people of the same sex, do JWfaners think are good-looking? If I had a man-crush, it would be on Jose Mourinho. No idea why. 

You are no Gunner!

Full comic con panel.  I’m really liking this cast and the little bits of info we get about the characters and their relationship with the Doctor.  Can’t forget there’s Bradley Walsh too.

On 7/22/2018 at 3:33 AM, Horner's Dynamic Range said:

Apparently the ratings had fallen dramatically in the last couple of years. A lot of people are probably burnt out on it, the staff included. The 12th Doctor blew its load in his first season, which was my favorite of all the modern DW series. The next season was very uneven and the most recent was a bit mundane overall. I lost interest in many episodes and found myself looking at the status bar to see how much longer I'd have to sit through wide-eyed Bill and boring Doctor doing whatever.

Perhaps it's time to call I the day, or to let a few years pass between each season.

Yeah but I loved every season of Capaldi, his second far more than the other 2.  It’s the best overall season of the whole series for me.  At least up there.

Just now, Jurassic Shark said:

Have you seen all available seasons?

Yes... I’ve been watching the show for 12 years now...

Unless you mean classic Who.  I’ve seen a lot but not all.  I consider them two different shows, even if they share continuity.

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

We now have our first blonde Doctor since Peter Davison!  As a blondie myself, I can only approve.

Grey doesn't qualify as blonde (ref your flattering profile picture).

;)

1 minute ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Grey doesn't qualify as blonde (ref your flattering profile picture).

;)

JWFan veterans know what I look like.  I used to have an actual picture of myself as my avatar.