The Doctor Who Thread.....

Greg1138

The move will apparently guarantee that the entire run will go out in the 7:00 timeslot instead of being bumped around the Saturday evening schedules, and fits with Chibnall's assertion that the audience for drama is bigger on Sunday evenings. 

I'd imagine the dullards who enjoy Countryfile will be enraged. Oh dear, what a terrible shame 😂 .  

• 2 weeks later...

A lot of the comments, those that weren't anti-female Who, also agreed that the music was just the wrong choice. I couldn't stand the song when it was on the radio, and to hear it in what is an otherwise brilliant look at the new series is quite a dampener on that joy. 

There are shots in the trailer that look quite cinematic - perhaps the closest any of the seasons have come to looking like a film!

Also not mad about the choice of track, but otherwise things are looking pretty damn good I think. 

To quote Chris Chibnall in the current Radio Times - 'The Doctor is one of television's most brilliant and enduring creations. The Doctor will still be the same mercurial, funny, strange, contradictory character: an adventurer in space and time, gathering up friends along the way and solving problems by thought and wit rather than punches and violence. If you're anything like the crew who work on the series, just a few seconds with Jodie Whittaker's lively, warm, funny, super-smart Doctor will have you willing to follow this Doctor to the ends of the universe'. 

:D   

• 3 weeks later...

Not a perfect episode, but still very enjoyable. 

Jodie is warm, funny, scatty-but-smart, brave and moral ... and if that's 'not the Doctor', then I'm a Dalek's sink-plunger.  

I would guess that Chibnall's favourite Arnie movie is Predator, based on last night's episode. 

Some Twitter opinion that how the drunk guy dealt with the alien intruder (throwing his kebab salad at it) was an archetypal Northern response 😂 .        

Liked her referring to the Tardis as her 'ship' ... Thirteen, your First is showing.  

The new sonic's appearance made a lot more sense when we saw it was 'built' by the Doctor and not by the Tardis, and the anti-knife crime sentiment expressed by her when explaining it to the new companions was most welcome.   

2 minutes ago, Norma's Corpse said:

Who's the companion now? Is it still Bill?

No, there are 3 new ones now. There hasn't been that many since the 80s.  

doctorwho_01.jpg?w=780

5 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

How is it I grew up a sci-fi/fantasy geek and yet have never seen a single episode of Doctor Who?  Literally the only thing I can picture when I think about this show are those rolling trash can robots.

Daleks aren't actually robots. A protective casing houses a hideous mutant - 

latest?cb=20120907222551

Great introduction for Whittake's Doctor, although the monster and story in general were pretty standard. I'd love to see an opener with a truly groundbreaking story rather than just the doctor saving the day against a stock alien as a nice easy establishing win.

I rather liked the music, which is definitely a departure. Thing with Gold's scoring is that sometimes it felt overscored, and the later CD releases dragged a bit. A more electronic-based scoring feels like it's addressing the tension more. It won't be to everyone's tastes but I liked it.

And definitely a cinematic look - I'm sure they didn't film those scenes on a real crane, but at no point did 'green screen' even enter my mind.

Loved the episode, there wasn't much music that stood out to me, but that's fine as I think they might go with a less thematic driven score, more atmospherics. I'll miss Gold's orchestral symphonic writing though :(

18 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

How is it I grew up a sci-fi/fantasy geek and yet have never seen a single episode of Doctor Who?  Literally the only thing I can picture when I think about this show are those rolling trash can robots.

I gave up after two or three Eccleston episodes. It was watchable enough and I was told that season was a weak link. Maybe I'll commit to finish this thing one day.

Karol

I watched Rose again last night and everything about it does look very cheap, from the effects to the very synthy music. It was good for the time, just not in comparison to what TV looks look like now.

3 hours ago, Arpy said:

I never liked any of the scores before Gold. Blasphemy I know...

Before Gold or from Gold?

32 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I'm hoping he'll compensate with a strong season arch.

I've got a faint memory of seeing an article that said the new season won't have one.

Take that with a large grain of salt, but you might want to temper your expectations...

38 minutes ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

I've got a faint memory of seeing an article that said the new season won't have one.

Take that with a large grain of salt, but you might want to temper your expectations...

Well, not necessarily a story arc in the Moffat sense. But even the Ecclestone series had Bad Wolf, and after Broadchurch, where every series was just one long story split into several episodes, I will probably be disappointed if the new series doesn't have *some* element to tie it together.

From what I gather, they're really going all-out on the "every single thing is different now" bandwagon.

Which is too bad; I'm fine with an evolution rather than a revolution.

Nothing wrong with some sense of a story arc and a Dalek here or there.

But then... They already vastly reduced the role of the Daleks in the previous season...

I'm actually not at all sure yet on what to think of the new season.

It seems decidedly less kid-friendly than what came before. And what came before freaks out my parents!

It's clear this is from the same guy who did Torchwood; it seems far darker now.

Thankfully the Doctor herself is a delight.

As bright and appropriate as could be asked of any other good Doctor.

7 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

I watched Rose again last night and everything about it does look very cheap, from the effects to the very synthy music. It was good for the time, just not in comparison to what TV looks look like now.

Before Gold or from Gold?

Before Gold, can't stand the cheesy synth nonsense of Classic Who.

On Rose, yes, much like the rest of series 1, it looks dated and cheap now. I think the quality increased during series 3, so did the writing.

I'm kind of annoyed that the old guy dismisses the Doctor's claim that she's an alien in Sheffield as saying there are no such thing as aliens. 

On one hand, it implies that people forget about the alien incursions in England that got publicized, like the Sycorax invasion and Miracle Day. 

On the other hand, it allows the show to do a hard reset of certain events without requiring new viewers to remember those earlier shows. 

Or he's just old and naive, and provides a different perspective than the younger two, who easily accept she's alien. 

A soft reboot of sorts really isnt a bad idea when a new showrunner arrives. Moffat started out doing pretty much the same when he took over. Whipes the slate cleam a bit.

You can explain it by saying to yourself that time and reality has been changed a couple of times since then. Didnt the 11th Doctor create an alternate universe at least once? the season 5 finale. Amy Pond suddenly wasnt an orphan.