The Doctor Who Thread.....

Greg1138

Did anyone else buy the soundtrack?

Kind of works more as a concept album of mostly electronic music with a few sections of orchestral work. It's definitely not going to appeal to those attached to Gold's full-blooded orchestral style - totally different type of scoring. I've found it a good for making car journeys a little more dramatic.

Highlights for me are everything from Rosa (I'd buy a full episode score in an instant), The Tsuranga Conundrum, the NY special, and Thirteen. Akinola's 'Doctor' theme is one area where I think he's beaten Gold - I absolutely love her theme.

I had a pipe dream that they might celebrate his first season with an isolated score on the DVD (like Arnold's first Bond score was marked with an iso score) but I seriously doubt that'll happen.

18 hours ago, Richard said:

They're not always homicidal mutters, Sweep. Have you seen EVIL OF THE DALEKS?

Tom Baker is The Doctor!

I haven't, no ... isn't that one of the lost Troughtons? 

Yes, yes he is. To me, the Doctors can be divided into those born to play it (e.g. Pertwee, T. Baker, Tennant) and those who gave it a shot (e.g. Davison, C. Baker, Eccleston).

Yes, Sweep, it's a lost Troughton. Fortunately, I saw it in 1967. It's the one where they all go back to Skaro, and have an epic punch-up.

It's the story that Smith quotes in VICTORY OF THE DALEKS: "This is it; the final end".

On 1/26/2019 at 4:45 AM, Pieter_Boelen said:

So now there is a release of the series 9 and 11 soundtracks, but not the series 10 one. Right?

Bit of a curious release order...

Hopefully we get a release sometime in 2019. It’d be something to look forward to since there will be no new series this year.

I’m thinking it will be a 3 disc set this time.

1 for Doctor Mysterio and the other 2 discs for series 10 that will also include Twice Upon a Time. I don’t think there was a lot of new music for that episode to justify a 4th disc. Maybe 6 new tracks?

Or maybe it will be a 4 disc set. It might contain previously unreleased tracks from the last 9 series. Muahhahaa....

if only...

17 minutes ago, StarFox said:

Or maybe it will be a 4 disc set. It might contain previously unreleased tracks from the last 9 series. Muahhahaa....

if only...

That would be a dream come true.

I'd pay some serious money for expanded series 1-4 soundtracks, there's so much unreleased gold (haha) in those early seasons.

On 1/26/2019 at 10:45 AM, Pieter_Boelen said:

So now there is a release of the series 9 and 11 soundtracks, but not the series 10 one. Right?

Bit of a curious release order...

It is, but it's more because Akinola was clearly keen to have his music out there that he overtook Gold in getting his last series out.

I think that's clarified that in DW world, Silva just puts out the album the composer gives them, hence their comment last year (or whenever) that series 9 wasn't 'available to license' was likely an overly diplomatic way of saying Gold hadn't provided them with an album yet.

I wouldn't say I'm salivating over the idea of a S10 release - I digitally bought 3 tracks from S9. Unfortunately the days of buying Gold's physically has stopped.

I just recently started watching this serial, and the music from the serial is just as awesome as the serial itself.This is probably the only serial that has been filmed for so many years and is still interesting for fans.

• 5 weeks later...

51989166_10156199004882615_453611575961651645285_10156199005077615_262215780714652577829_10156199004947615_5232134236638

Hope these are of interest ... me at a recent Comic-Con here in Belfast with Paul Jerricho (Castellan in Fifth Doctor stories Arc Of Infinity and The Five Doctors), Ingrid Oliver (Osgood in The Day Of The Doctor, Death In Heaven and the Zygon two-parter) and Julian Glover (somewhat of a legend who has been in many things in his lengthy career, but for the purposes of this thread Richard The Lionheart in partially-lost First Doctor story The Crusade and (undoubtedly more notably) Scaroth in Fourth Doctor classic City Of Death).

Ingris is indeed lovely ... was charmed by her 'Are you sciencey?' tee, that of course being one of the first things Eleven says to her.   

Doctor Who, Star Wars, Bond, Indiana Jones, and currently Game Of Thrones ... Mr Glover is exactly the sort of con guest you'd want, really. Sadly, the guy in front of me when I got to his signing table was the last person he signed for that day ... he then stood up and left with fellow guest and GOT co-star Staz Nair, which made me think that maybe they had filming to go and do (the Exhibition Centre that housed the con is not far from the studio where GOT shoots), hence the lack of autographed pic.

Also met Caroline Munro (Hammer, Sinbad, Bond etc).       

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I see that in the course of plugging his new autobio, Eccleston has come up with yet another angle for complaining about his time on Who ... namely that he had body dysmorphia and anorexia while he was making it. 

They sure don't make gritty working-class Northern blokes like they used to.     

I can see why the 3rd stopped you ... 'Rosa' was seemingly unable to avoid preachiness and had a woefully underwritten baddie. Things pick up after the fifth episode, well they did for me anyway.  

3 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

I can see why the 3rd stopped you ... 'Rosa' was seemingly unable to avoid preachiness and had a woefully underwritten baddie. Things pick up after the fifth episode, well they did for me anyway.  

Well, I don't remember finding that episode especially bad or anything.  More like, it was becoming clear after a few that Chibnall was not a very strong showrunner.  I was very much enjoying Whitaker in the role, but felt she was let down by the material.  That was my sense after three episodes at least.  And I didn't make some hard decision, it just became easy to put off watching the next episode until I found that the season had ended and I thought "why bother."

I need to get back to it so I can at least have a more informed opinion of Chibnall so far.

Apart from the opening and closing episodes, I found myself enjoying the ones where Chibnall had nothing to do with the writing much more than the ones where he did.

The New Year's Day special admittedly had its moments, too. 

7 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

I liked Rosa although the baddie was next to useless. This series in general will not go down as one that did anything memorable with its villains or monsters - I can barely remember any of the stories.

Although apart from Rosa and the Punjab episode, one of my favourites I think is many critics' least - the one aboard the spaceship with the little metal-eating creature.

For a long time I've wanted Who to return to the Doctor being faced with more moral issues, rather than the monster of the week.

9 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

I see that in the course of plugging his new autobio, Eccleston has come up with yet another angle for complaining about his time on Who ... namely that he had body dysmorphia and anorexia while he was making it. 

Yeah, because being shat on by the BBC was just a minor inconvenience. If I went through what he did, I would be a bit pissed off too.

21 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

12 hours ago, Arpy said:

Yeah, because being shat on by the BBC was just a minor inconvenience. If I went through what he did, I would be a bit pissed off too.

Chris Eccleston made one series of DOCTOR WHO, for the Beeb. He only intended to make one series, and this was as a favour to RTD for casting him in THE SECOND COMING. While I have every sympathy for Mr. Eccleston, and his current condition, I am curious to know why he never mentions it, while filming ELIZABETH, or OUR FRIENDS IN THE NORTH, or LET HIM HAVE IT, or LEGEND? Why? What happened on DW had nothing to do with his condition.

1 hour ago, Richard said:

Chris Eccleston made one series of DOCTOR WHO, for the Beeb. He only intended to make one series, and this was as a favour to RTD for casting him in THE SECOND COMING. While I have every sympathy for Mr. Eccleston, and his current condition, I am curious to know why he never mentions it, while filming ELIZABETH, or OUR FRIENDS IN THE NORTH, or LET HIM HAVE IT, or LEGEND? Why? What happened on DW had nothing to do with his condition.

How about because he was trying to move on, trying to work as an actor? Somehow you just happen to know it wasn't anything to do with his condition?

Why would he mention a private, mental health issue openly, how do you know he hadn't discussed this with those close to him, or couldn't?

Umm...

Did you miss the part where Ecclestone said he was dealing with a mental health issue or is it just more convenient to believe he's complaining about a TV show?

16 minutes ago, Arpy said:

Umm...

Did you miss the part where Ecclestone said he was dealing with a mental health issue or is it just more convenient to believe he's complaining about a TV show?

Umm...

Did you miss the part where you spell Eccleston incorrectly?

7 hours ago, Richard said:

Umm...

Did you miss the part where you spell Eccleston incorrectly?

Oh no, not a typo! Don't let it distract you from the fact you're essentially making a joke out of mental illness. Why are you so bitter?

12 hours ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

He had a great leather jacket.

That he did. Nowadays it would probably be condemned as the Doctor seemingly having no compassion for animals.  

Excellent idea, although from the current Tardis crew I'd prefer it to be kept to the Doctor and Yaz. Absolutely no desire to see Ryan and Graham's 'sonic screwdrivers', thanks all the same. 

• 1 month later...

Looks pretty good - I'm glad they didn't do the 'here's all the cool actors we got to appear for cameos' bit that they did last time.

I thought we had to wait a lot longer for this series, but checking dates I think it's just because 2019 has gone quickly. And from Wikipedia, they only finished filming 3 weeks ago!

And we can be confident that a good, lengthy score release should be forthcoming.