The Doctor Who Thread.....

Greg1138

Doctor's in a tux, introduces herself as 'Doctor ... The Doctor' and it's rumoured that Fry's character is some sort of M-type spymaster.

'Who does Bond' has potential to be a really fun watch, although at this stage I'm just speculating of course.    

12 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Fuck that. I'll never be "done", with DOCTOR WHO.

7 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Well said, Richard. I take comfort in our enduring heroes (new Who trailers, No Time To Die trailer debuting tomorrow) because by God we need them more than ever.    

Well said!

I'll be popping back in for this coming season, but I might never go back and finish the last one.

It was only a couple of years ago when Doctor Who was this powerful.  If I'm completely honest, I miss Moffat.  I think every one of his seasons has something to recommend.  Even when his ambition outstripped the execution we still had that Moffatian sense of adventure and fun to pull us through.

I am looking forward to his and Gatiss' take on Dracula, coming soon to the BBC. Moffat saying that after the likes of Twilight they wanted to put the creepiness back into vampires and Gatiss saying that it's essentially about the 'attractiveness of the Devil' are promising signs. 

I was surprised to see FSM people calling the new Doctor among the worst of all time.  Is that a common conception?  I've only watched a few of hers at this point, but I like her vibe a lot more than, say, Matt Smith's.

Jodie is great!  It's the writing that was letting her down from the episodes I saw.

I don't know who I'd pick as "worst" Doctor.  I just know that Capaldi is my favorite, across both the old and new series.

I haven't seen much of her stuff yet, but even across the new series (which is all I've seen), I like her better so far than I did 9 and 11.  Not a statement about the stories or the companions, just the vibe and energy of the character.

When I posted "Fuck that", I meant no disrespect to Justin. DOCTOR WHO has been in my life for almost as long as I can remember. My first ever memory of television, is of EVIL OF THE DALEKS. I could no more hate the programme, than I could hate my left eye. True, there are Doctors that I'm not fond of, and stories that I don't like, but I couldn't be disloyal to DOCTOR WHO, even if I wanted to, and I will - hopefully - be watching it until the day that I die.

I couldn't make it through the last season and Capaldi's final season was also very messy. The show seems to have lost its way even after they attempted to refresh it. I think they were on the right track in fixing the problems I had with the Matt Smith seasons when they changed him back to a wacky old scientist man. There just hasn't been a perfect pairing like the Doctor and Clara since then. The new sidekicks suck.

Having the Doctor be a cutesy chick also just doesn't work for me. Sorry!

15 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

If I'm completely honest, I miss Moffat.  I think every one of his seasons has something to recommend.  Even when his ambition outstripped the execution we still had that Moffatian sense of adventure and fun to pull us through.

Yes, couldn't believe I'd come to believe this in just a short amount of time. Moffat's ambitious stories were still the Doctor Who I fell in love with (the RTD era). Now the show is floating around in the void, stripped of all that made it what it was for so many years...

after listening to The Mandalorian I can’t help but think that Ludwig Goransson would’ve been an excellent successor to Murray Gold. the attention to thematic material, the exotic scoring, the interweaving of electronics with symphonic orchestra - it’s all there

2 hours ago, Arpy said:

Yes, couldn't believe I'd come to believe this in just a short amount of time. Moffat's ambitious stories were still the Doctor Who I fell in love with (the RTD era). Now the show is floating around in the void, stripped of all that made it what it was for so many years...

There’s been all of one season that you don’t like, don’t be so doom and gloom about it!

46 minutes ago, Docteur Qui said:

There’s been all of one season that you don’t like, don’t be so doom and gloom about it!

Not true - there have been some shit episodes all throughout S1-11. I wasn't too fond of season 6, especially after how great season 5 was.

I'll say that season 11 wasn't awful, there were some things I loved and Jodie Whittaker has the potential to be a great Doctor - just not with the terrible writing she's had to endure.

• 4 weeks later...

Well...that wasn't bad, at all. The most consistent, and consistently good, episode that I've seen in many a year. Our Jodie looks amazing, in a tux! This show is - finally - beginning to go places. Oh, yeah, it has a cliffhanger straight out of left field. Someone has some explaining to do.

I thought it was a fantastic return to form after the bland and joyless series 11. The Bond riffing was fun, including the twangy, brassy music. The reveal at the end has me intrigued and excited for the next episode - something I haven’t felt with Who in a while. I wonder if that’s the Thirteenth Doctor’s final incarnation of her biggest bad or just a psych for a bigger reveal next episode...

Enjoyed it rather a lot ... few things I want to mention that are probably better hidden - 

Spoiler

Wasn't expecting Stephen Fry's character to get offed quite so soon. 

The Master's return was an excellent twist that took me completely by surprise. Also, Doctor and companions trapped on a parachute-less plummeting-to-Earth plane ... NuWho doesn't get to do many cliffhanger endings, so that was cool. Bit concerned where the Master's 'Everything you think you know is a lie' to the Doctor might end up going, but we'll see. 

Very relieved that the Bond pastiching wasn't used as an opportunity to bash the character for 'toxic masculinity' or whatever.     

Hm. Seemed to me rather all over the place and as unfocused/unbalanced as much of he previous series. And boring, actually. But perhaps I was just too tired when I watched it. Also, I watched it a day late and got the big twist spoiled by the official Facebook channel...

I rather like that they chose to have the first female Doctor incarnation do the James Bond thing though, in light of all the discussions about who should/could play the next Bond.

Yes, it was spoiled for me too, which kind of ruined the impact the reveal had, but I liked it nonetheless. Hopefully this Master plotline isn't limited to these two episodes and we got a longer arc.

15 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Pleased that they are doing a Bond tribute/pastiche without criticising the character for 'toxic masculinity' or whatever (so far, anyway). 

While I don't watch this show anymore, considering both franchise's positions as top beloved British pop culture things ever, it's no surprise they wouldn't be critical of 007. It'd be like Harry Potter dissing John Lennon.

I enjoyed the episode for the most part because I was pleased The Master was returning, but the writing was almost insipid. Whittaker is once again let down with more focus on her companions instead of her. It was excusable when we were dealing with one other companion, but that's because there was only one other companion in the past.

18 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

4.9 million is not good, but let's hope that it improves. I've got a feeling that series 12 38  (oh, fuck it, you know what I mean!) is going to be alright.

So many ways to watch now ... 4.9 million 'live' viewers is admittedly not fantastic, but apparently the likes of the iPlayer/recording watchers usually add a couple of million to the 'overnight' figures. 

I'm glad to have DVR. When I got ready to watch Spyfall, BBC was in the last part of Resolution, which I did not remember. 

So last season, I watched The Battle of Ranskor Av Kolos, and that was it. I honestly never knew they had a New Year's special in 2019. So I watched that, with the rather attractive Dalek hostage, before catching the new one. 

1 hour ago, Arpy said:

It's unfair on Whittaker that the writing has been botched. Does anyone think changing The Doctor will make a difference?

No, but getting rid of Chibnall will.

57 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

The show needs a female showrunner!

I've heard a (very strong) rumour that Phoebe Waller-Bridge, could be the next one.

surprisingly a decent end to a two parter, its nice that they're giving the show more time to breathe in these episodes because there's a lot to get through, and if this was forced to be 45 minutes like the episodes of old I feel this would've been a mess.

this has honestly been a bit of a shock to the system, I really could not give less of a shit for the previous season but especially how this one ends I'm...dare I say it - intrigued in Doctor Who again.

I can't quite put my finger on what exactly it is but I'm getting more of a Russel era vibe from this show so far.

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

Based on what?

Marshall? Based on several bookies.

To be fair, Kris Marshall has been "in the frame", since Peter Capaldi announced his departure.

He'd be a good choice, but he wouldn't be my choice.

Whittaker? It's just an "industry rumour", fuelled by the media.

I think Marshall was maybe even talked about as the next Doctor after Tennant and Smith.  

Spyfall was a really solid season opener. This is already feeling like a large step up from Whittaker's first.  

Fun to see the Master using the 'tissue compressor' again for the first time since the 'classic' era, complete with SFX that actually allows the shrinking to happen onscreen.    

4 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Based on the Master's new theme, I say he's eventually going to regenerate into Kylo Ren.

I heard that too!

I think I preferred the first part. It was zippy, fun and took its time to set up the story. The second part wasn’t really up to snuff though, especially the anticlimactic ending. I’ll bet $10 we’ll see the light monster thingies again and they’ll be Cybermen - the whole human hard drive thing gave it away (plus the shape of their heads). 

Actually the whole thing gave me flashbacks to “Army of Ghosts”, it kind of feels like Chibnall is pushing the nostalgia button for the Davies era a bit too much (including the re-destruction of Gallifrey, and the new Master is very Simm). I was all for the Last of the Timelords arc back in the Eccleston/Tennant/Smith days but that arc finished.

Still, Whittaker is a solid Doctor and the companions are largely great. Last season’s focus on Graham and Ryan was its strongest element and it looks like Yas will have more to do this time which is good.