The Doctor Who Thread.....

Greg1138

14 minutes ago, Docteur Qui said:

Yeah that episode undid all the goodwill I had for the last one. I'll sum it up with probably one of the worst lines I've ever heard uttered on television:

"Our as-yet unborn child"

Thanks Chris, if you hadn't written "as-yet" we may never have figured out that the child was unborn. Jeeeez.

Cliffhanger was great though. Disagree with the above post about the Angels, I really liked that Chibs built on the concept of "an image of an Angel becomes itself an Angel", and then ran with it.

The concept isn’t my issue, it’s the execution. You can make a scene like that work but it requires proper pacing for setup and tension to make it effective and not just  feel haphazardly thrown in. General issue with all the Angel sequences so far, I pray their stand-alone episode does not have this problem.

Is that seriously what the dialogue was? I thought she said something like ‘Azyet unborn child’ like that was the name of its species :lol:

2 minutes ago, DarthDementous said:

The concept isn’t my issue, it’s the execution. You can make a scene like that work but it requires proper pacing for setup and tension to make it effective and not just  feel haphazardly thrown in. General issue with all the Angel sequences so far, I pray their stand-alone episode does not have this problem.

The first scenes with the Angels weren't much to write home about, but the staging and editing of the cliffhanger I thought worked great. Really chilling to see an Angel inside the TARDIS, taking control!

2 minutes ago, DarthDementous said:

Is that seriously what the dialogue was? I thought she said something like ‘Azyet unborn child’ like that was the name of its species :lol:

If only! :lol:

1 minute ago, Docteur Qui said:

The first scenes with the Angels weren't much to write home about, but the staging and editing of the cliffhanger I thought worked great. Really chilling to see an Angel inside the TARDIS, taking control!

If only! :lol:

I’m going to contradict myself a bit here and say that ending sequence probably would’ve been more effective had the angels not been in the episode at all up to that point. If the Angel just broke in with no indication they’d even be in this episode that would’ve taken me aback, but now I kind of understand how they did it and so it’s not as mind-blowing.

As an isolated idea, definitely cool. Amidst everything else? Doesn’t shine as brightly as it should. I don’t think it helped that I was distracted with the Doctor saying word for word that one quote in Blink (“The Angel has the TARDIS”) which while true it’s stating the obvious and so it comes off as more for the point of fan service. I’m being nitpicky now though, but it’s only because there’s so much displeasing that my good will has kind of left the building.

Still think it's a real pity that we never got a Capaldi vs Weeping Angels ep. Think one briefly made an appearance in one of his Xmas specials (half-buried in snow and attempting to grab Clara's ankle, I think) but that was about the height of it. 

11 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Still think it's a real pity that we never got a Capaldi vs Weeping Angels ep. Think one briefly made an appearance in one of his Xmas specials (half-buried in snow and attempting to grab Clara's ankle, I think) but that was about the height of it. 

That was in Matt Smith's final episode, Time of the Doctor. Technically it was a Capaldi episode as it ended with his first proper scene! :lol:

I too wish that Capaldi had met the Weeping Angels. I really don't agree with the pervading fan view that the Angels should've only been a one-off, I really enjoyed the two-parter in Series 5 and the Manhattan ep. They're great villains!

3 hours ago, Docteur Qui said:

That was in Matt Smith's final episode, Time of the Doctor. Technically it was a Capaldi episode as it ended with his first proper scene! :lol:

I too wish that Capaldi had met the Weeping Angels. I really don't agree with the pervading fan view that the Angels should've only been a one-off, I really enjoyed the two-parter in Series 5 and the Manhattan ep. They're great villains!

Technically he did, in the much maligned Hell Bent they’re briefly seen in the Cloister room on Gallifrey.

21 minutes ago, Docteur Qui said:

Ooh yes, very true! Glad you mentioned Hell Bent being maligned, my god is that episode underrated. I’ve talked about it here before but it really is an astonishing piece of work, dense with poetry and some sublime, subtle work from Capaldi and Coleman. Coming off the back of Heaven Sent didn’t do it any favours at the time, as I and many others were expecting something very different from it. But like much of Moffat’s work it has aged impeccably and only gets better with repeat viewings.

A perfect ending to a near perfect season of Doctor Who

48 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

A perfect ending to a near perfect season of Doctor Who

Had Chibnall been ready to take over earlier as intended, series 9 would’ve been Moffat’s final one, and it shows. He went all out it, and created the perfect capstone to not just his own run but the whole of NuWho. The Husbands of River Song would’ve been the epilogue, which is another episode that has aged well. I love the madcap rom-com vibe and the emotional ending is pitch-perfect.

Still, I’m glad we got the “ghost” tenth series; while not as consistently strong as series 9, Bill and Nardole are a delight and Missy’s arc is phenomenal. You can tell that he was running out of steam though, as fantastic as The Doctor Falls through to Twice Upon a Time is.

I should revisit 9. I remember that I really liked the Clara arc. But 10 was just about the best season of nuWho. Certainly Moffat's best (IMHO).

My kids are scandalized that I say that Capaldi is my favorite nu Doc.

OTOH, I love that Whitaker is getting downright tetchy under that sunny smile.

10 hours ago, DarthDementous said:

Huh? Where?

I found it on YouTube...then lost it, again. If I find it, I'll let you know.

5 hours ago, Tallguy said:

I've missed multi-part stories SO much.

They've been broadcasting multi-part stories since November 23rd, 1963 :lol:

18 hours ago, DarthDementous said:

Huh? Where?

Turns out that it's a teaser from 2016, for Class. Apologies, etc.

1 hour ago, Tallguy said:

Right. But the most the new show has ever done has been two parters. Hence: Missing.

I wish all of the Chibs era would go "missing" ;)

2 hours ago, Brónach said:

Jodie deserves better, I'm so sad

I'm afraid we're just going to get more safe bets about everything which is just the opposite of what I want

I certainly have opinions on the ups and downs of Chibnall's run, but I wouldn't call much of it "safe". Having the Doctor be the originator of the Time Lords is stupid but it isn't safe. 

RTD's re-hiring strikes me as the Beeb feeling that Who now needs to be in 'a safe pair of hands'. It being announced before this current season of Who even began airing possibly gives us an inkling of what they think of Chibnall's era.  

I sure hope he's a safe pair of hands.  Guess we'll find out how much of the RTD era was lightning in a bottle.  Looking back they're hardly perfect seasons of television, but there was an undeniable magic spark to them (and of course there were some fucking awesome stories sprinkled in too).

The general consensus at the time (in the UK, anyway) was 'families don't watch TV together on Saturday evenings anymore, things have moved on'. 

What Doctor Who proved was that if the show's good enough, yes they damn well still did (granted, the huge groundswell of affection there was for the character and show from those who could remember Hartnell - McGann didn't hurt) .   

On 19/11/2021 at 6:54 AM, Brónach said:

I mean it's going to be super safe with RTD in the future (or not??? maybe not.) I also meant that Chibnall was a safe choice himself. That plot point isn't safe even if I disliked the execution

Having read his behind the scenes writing book and watched a few of his other TV series - RTD does not play things safe. He takes things in directions he wants to see and thinks hasn’t been done before.

People take for granted how bold the 9th Doctor was for the time, taking this traditional Edwardian and upper class figure and making him a more down to Earth working class bloke could’ve backfired horribly. Instead it was fresh, and still faithful to the character.

I imagine we’ll see a similar approach for his new Doctor

20 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

If memory serves (and I'm really hoping that it doesn't, here), didn't R.T.D. draw a sketch of Alonzo In nothing but his tighty whities, in some DW book?

Sheesh.

Correct, that was in THE WRITER'S TALE and that was back before 'Midshipman Frame' had been cast. He was joking to his collaborator Benjamin Cook that he was starting to fancy this fictional character he'd come up with.

On 20/11/2021 at 3:58 AM, DarthDementous said:

Having read his behind the scenes writing book and watched a few of his other TV series - RTD does not play things safe. He takes things in directions he wants to see and thinks hasn’t been done before.

People take for granted how bold the 9th Doctor was for the time, taking this traditional Edwardian and upper class figure and making him a more down to Earth working class bloke could’ve backfired horribly. Instead it was fresh, and still faithful to the character.

I imagine we’ll see a similar approach for his new Doctor

Oh maybe you are correct, maybe he won't do something like his first series or his four series at all. I expect some RTDness though (he tries to write characters properly and be campy. I'm okay with that! He's way too much into Daleks though lol)

Nice Doctor suggestions in this thread

I hope this is going someplace. Because I am really enjoying the ride. The angels still don't make much sense (and there was no point in bringing them back after Blink) but there was enough going on that they actually came across as scary again.

I don't know how you invent a new Super Bad but I'm pretty sure Division isn't it.

And happy Doctor Who day!

56 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

As it's Doctor Who Day and bloody freezin' into the bargain, I donned a certain scarf for the walk to work today - 

259308640_10158605853542615_320578503438

Have a Jelly Baby! :D

Have you got the other 4th Doctor scarf, the "shades of red" one?

44 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

I don't know how you invent a new Super Bad but I'm pretty sure Division isn't it.

I've got it! It's not "Division", it's "Davison"!! :lol:

The whole 'Division' thing must have passed me by. Had to google it after the latest episode to remember what it was. I thought it was the name of the devil-looking antagonist pair. I've seen every Dr. Who episode in history, but I'm by no means an expert in the lore. A lot of stuff just pass me by.

I liked the latest episode. It makes sense to involve the Angels in a story that is all about time in flux.

Another thing that has passed me by is that Russell T. Davies is returning in 2023. Wow, what great news! I never thought it could happen, it was just a pipedream. But lo and behold, here we are.

I haven't seen the latest episode, but...if time is in flux, then where do the Weeping Angels send their victims?

30 minutes ago, Thor said:

I've seen every Dr. Who episode in history...

Thor, you've seen every surviving episode in history :)

15 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I haven't seen the latest episode, but...if time is in flux, then where do the Weeping Angels send their victims?

:)

In this episode, it's a pocket universe isolated from the main. 

26 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Thor, you've seen every surviving episode in history :)

Yes, but I also listened the lost episodes as "audio books" on Youtube, with still images. Most, if not all of them.

Thor the Division is recent history. It got introduced with the "Never heard of her" Doctor. 

Oh, I'm really enjoying the music this season. It isn't as good as Gold during RTD, but GOLD wasn't as good as he was during RTD. 

Curious to eventually see all these episodes. Right now we don't get BBCA and I don't fancy signing up for it just for Chibbers Who. If it was RTD  I'd have signed up in a heartbeat. Hell, we even signed up for Starz just to watch Torchwood: Miracle Day, which turned out to be a mistake (on our part and theirs!). Reading through all the comments on this thread (can you tell I'm so fed up with Who I don't even care about spoilers?) it looks like Flux might actually be a step up in quality finally. I hope so. I REALLY wanted to like Jodie and Chibnall - I was fed up with the overly silly dialog and convoluted plots of Moffatt's later era. The silly dialog carried right over though. If I ever hear the word Fam again... Still, it's only a show, and as always I hold out hope a fourth (or fifth) golden age of Who will be forthcoming. In the meantime I'm loving the recently animated Evil of the Daleks. Fan-bloody-tastic!

9 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

I'm really enjoying the music this season. It isn't as good as Gold during RTD, but GOLD wasn't as good as he was during RTD. 

Murray Gold had long since passed his prime. By the end of the Matt Smith era he'd become a parody of himself. All big fanfares and action ostinatos. The one thing I did find refreshing about the early Jodie episodes was the change in music. Shame it wasn't all that good. Refreshing, but meh.

I'm calling it now, "Division" is going to be about all this time and space claptrap from Once, Upon Time. An elite organisation made up of all the higher beings of the universe whose goal is to separate (divide) time and space into distinct concepts. Might even end up being a LOST-esque, ancient war that has raged since before the universe was around, waged by sentient beings who both represent Time and Space and who fused to end the war. That would explain why "Time" beings (like Time Lords/Gallifreyans and Weeping Angels) are working together. I expect some Daleks will be in on this as well, and it might even tie into the Time War somehow. In theory it's kind of cool, but it also sounds like the plotline to a Pokémon game....

1 hour ago, pixie_twinkle said:

Murray Gold had long since passed his prime.

I don't think he'd passed his prime. I just think RTD and Moffat wanted him doing different things. 

Gold’s best work for me will always be Series 5. You could tell how rejuvenated he was, and leant perfectly into the fairytale aesthetic of that series. “Madman with a Box” remains one of the best things he’s ever written for the show.

One thing I’ll never forgive Moffat for is how he treated the music in Day of the Doctor. Between the reused Dalek music from Series 4 and the endless tracking of Eleven’s theme/“I am the Doctor” he really robbed us of some potential Who gold (hehe). Thankfully the score album is a much better  presentation, but even then I was disappointed not to hear a bold new theme for the 50th.

“Am I a Good Man”/Twelve’s theme is pretty great, but it’s too similar to Eleven’s (and I heard that it took a lot of convincing to even include the theme, because Moffat was so obsessed with the other one and wanted to keep using it for Twelve). After that, “Shepherd’s Boy” is probably the last thing Gold wrote that I think deserves a spot among his finest work. The way it’s used in the climax of Heaven Sent, and the reprise for Twelve’s regeneration is *chef’s kiss*