The Doctor Who Thread.....

Greg1138

Yeah, I don't know if it was an intentional misdirect or me / fandom reading too much into it, but I recall it being "obvious" that the series was aiming at something with Susan. As it turns out it was actually heading for the First (can I still use that term) Doctor?

44 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Yes you bloody well can use that term!!! The "timeless child" shit, is bollocks!

Hartnell was #1, and he always will be!! 

I don't think it would be that difficult to cancel out The Timeless Child bollocks, to use the technical term. Either Division, or some other, as yet unseen, group behind the scenes, are revealed to have planted the Timeless Child/Division stuff in the Master's head so the Master effectively made it happen, in order to control the Doctor some nefarious end. I mean, it would be a pretty big re-re-re-re-writing of the Doctor's history (and maybe RTD would figure it's not worth it) but there are ways to undo it.

I still don't really know why the Flux isn't something the Doctor would already have known about. When you've travelled from one end of time and one end of the universe to the other, it seems unlikely the Doctor would never have heard about it... from someone at some point. Then again, with universe changing events, I guess that's always an argument you could use. Some things are just too big not to have been noticed.

27 minutes ago, Positivatee said:

Where's the second universe come into play? Wasn't that the destination of all the souls captured by the...Passengers? A new playground for existence? Nope just another dangling plot point left unresolved, or at least unfulfilled. 

To be fair, there are three specials, including a regeneration, still to come. All might be resolved. Personally, I don't have much faith that Chibnall can pull any rabbits out of hats, but, I'll watch, anyway.

…Lesbian overtones? Were there ‘straight overtones’ when the 10th Doctor had romantic tension with Rose?

I couldn’t give less of a shit about the genders, there’s so little chemistry and development between 13 and Yaz that if they do go that direction I can’t imagine it being very convincing.

21 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Some things are just too big not to have been noticed.

That's kind of the problem with Doctor Who. With the Time Lords it should be "everything all the time". But in the 1960's the Doctor and his "friends" stumbled across this nobody little race called the Daleks. Think of all of the adversaries the Doctor discovered that he'd never heard of that went on to become "a name feared throughout the cosmos".

Taken to that conclusion it can make things really static.

11 hours ago, DarthDementous said:

Were there ‘straight overtones’ when the 10th Doctor had romantic tension with Rose?

"It does start to happen, yes."

I never considered the accidental genius of "no hanky panky in the TARDIS". It keeps Rose unique for one thing. Has someone made some sort of chart of crew size and composition over the years? We didn't really get "The Doctor and his Lovely Assistant" until Tom Baker, did we? (UNIT muddies the waters a bit for Pertwee.)

It's funny. For all of the changes that the new regeneration was supposed to bring the assumption is that the Doctor still likes the laaaaadies. :rolleyes:

29 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Speak for yourself, duckie.

Zoë Herriot, and Jo Grant are both gorgeous.

No, no. I mean "The Doctor and his Lovely Assistant" are the only recurring characters on the show. Something that cracked me up about the reaction to the Chibnal era was "Why are there SO MANY companions all of a sudden?!?" I mean in nuWho the Doctor was practically a Sith. Only two there are... ;)

The story was so rushed, nobody had time to breathe. The grand serpent is marooned on an asteroid and the camera cut to the next scene (or commercial break, I think) before we got any kind of reaction from him. 

Good thing about the iPlayer is that all of NuWho is currently on there, so a handier option for rewatching Christmas specials at this time of year than digging out DVD boxsets.  

That's true. Timecrash was fab ... as much Tennant 'fanboying' over the actor (and future father-in-law) who was the Doctor when he was a youngster as Ten 'fanboying' over his fifth incarnation. Moffat even bothered to come up with a reason why the Davison Doctor had aged, bless him.  

13 hours ago, Positivatee said:

The story was so rushed, nobody had time to breathe. The grand serpent is marooned on an asteroid and the camera cut to the next scene (or commercial break, I think) before we got any kind of reaction from him. 

I just watched the end of Castrovolva. I didn't notice The Master being given much time to reflect.

Time Crash is one of my favorite Doctor Who things ever. "You were MY Doctor!" Indeed, sir.

Oh, have you heard the story of putting together Davison's outfit? Apparently he is wearing Colin Baker's 5th Doctor coat! I can certainly relate.

Heh, you've reminded me of Colin Baker wearing this tee in the 50th anniversary prog 'The Five-ish Doctors Reboot' - 

Forbidden Planet 6th / 7th Doctor T Shirts – Merchandise Guide - The Doctor  Who Site
 - because nowadays he's, erm, 'bigger on the outside' and can't fit into the original get-up anymore. 

On 16/12/2021 at 2:57 PM, Tallguy said:

That's kind of the problem with Doctor Who. With the Time Lords it should be "everything all the time". But in the 1960's the Doctor and his "friends" stumbled across this nobody little race called the Daleks. Think of all of the adversaries the Doctor discovered that he'd never heard of that went on to become "a name feared throughout the cosmos".

Taken to that conclusion it can make things really static.

I guess that's one of the main issues/paradoxes with the concept of the show - things should essentially never be new as they're always there. As it were.

Just watched Timecrash, what a lovely but hilarious 8 minutes. Just the right mix of whimsy, meta references, sentiment and funny. Say what you like about Stephen Moffat's tenure, but he can really write some great stuff even if it's meant to be a silly 8 minutes to pad out Children in Need (political rant about paying taxes deleted).

My re-watch of Peter Capaldi's tenure has reached Empress of Mars. I quite enjoyed the few episodes dealing with the monks, having totally forgotten about them (which is kinda ironic). It's funny how they are disconnected episodes that tie quite well together into a bigger story arc. If only a recent 6 episodes had been done so well... maybe Flux would have been better had it worked up to the Flux rather than starting with it and going off at tangents that sort of returned to it by the end.

I'm not sure Empress of Mars is going to go down as one of my favourite episodes, but it has a classic "film music reference in the most unlikely places" where Bill mentions the film The Vikings and how much she loves the theme. True, Mario Nascimbene doesn't get name checked but a cutely random moment. Maybe writer Mark Gatiss is a fan...

21 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

I liked the sort-of ... 'crumpling' effect that the Ice Warrior weapons had on their targets in Empress Of Mars.   

Yes, it's quite creepy. A sinister variation on the Tissue Compression Eliminator.

On 21/12/2021 at 2:58 AM, Tom Guernsey said:

My re-watch of Peter Capaldi's tenure has reached Empress of Mars. I quite enjoyed the few episodes dealing with the monks, having totally forgotten about them (which is kinda ironic).

The Monk trilogy had the potential to be something really incredible, but Moffat has revealed that his mother died while he was writing series 10 which directly impacted that block of the show. I can't imagine how difficult that must've been while doing such an insanely demanding job. Had it not happened the trilogy could've ended up as one the most ambitious and interesting things the show ever attempted. There's a lot to still like about it though, especially the wonderful Extremis

10 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

I liked the sort-of ... 'crumpling' effect that the Ice Warrior weapons had on their targets in Empress Of Mars.   

That always reminds me of the terrific game No-One Lives Forever 2 and the hilarious cubed henchmen:

Was delighted to see the TCE back in use with Dhawan's Master, and equally so to see that while the effects concerning the compression have improved greatly the result (the victim effectively ending up as a little figurine of themselves) looks much the same. 

Have watched The Christmas Invasion, The Runaway Bride and The Next Doctor these last few days - damn, it's good to have a reminder of the 'spring in its step' the revived show used to have ... family entertainment (by which I don't mean blandified, I mean there's truly something in it to please everyone from 8 to 80) from the top drawer. And what more could you want from something showing in the early evening on Christmas Day, with you and yours all gathered round the telly full of food 'n' booze?  

Agreed, although I have a soft spot for VICTORY OF THE DALEKS, especially as it directly references EVIL OF THE DALEKS.

I wish that Dickens had completed THE MYSTERY OF EDWIN DROOD AND THE BLUE ELEMENTALS.

The ending of THE UNQUIET DEAD is almost identical to THE UNICORN AND THE WASP, but doesn't matter, as they are both fabulous stories.

The opening of The Unquiet Dead with the 'reanimated' corpses is a nice example of Gatiss' affinity for horror. 

That reminds me ... he's done another MR James adap (The Mezzotint) for Christmas, and it's on BBC2 at 10:30 tonight.  

I watched Mysterio and Last Christmas after a huge Christmas Day, full belly and a few too many drinks. Laughed at all the silliness in both of them, and bawled my eyes out watching Last Christmas, especially the Danny scenes. So much wonderful work by Capaldi and Coleman. What a joy! Have a great Christmas all.

On 24/12/2021 at 10:52 PM, Naïve Old Fart said:

THE CHRISTMAS INVASION? THE RUNAWAY BRIDE? THE NEXT DOCTOR? THE END OF TIME PT 1?

I think not!

I kind of take the regeneration episodes out of the running a bit. But if I didn't then Twice Upon a Time and Time of the Doctor win. ;)

The RTD Christmas specials are so good. And the Moffat specials are even better.

15 hours ago, Docteur Qui said:

I watched Mysterio and Last Christmas after a huge Christmas Day, full belly and a few too many drinks. Laughed at all the silliness in both of them, and bawled my eyes out watching Last Christmas, especially the Danny scenes. So much wonderful work by Capaldi and Coleman. What a joy! Have a great Christmas all.

Yeah, we watched Last Christmas and Voyage of the Damned yesterday. Watched Runaway Bride last week. So this Christmas we watched David, Matt, Peter, and we'll watch Jodie on New Years.

(I need to watch The Next Doctor. Because I barely remember it.)

This is the Christmas where I've finally accepted that Capaldi is my favorite Doctor. (At least of nuWho.) And Clara and Donna are running neck and neck for favorite companion. And who would have thought that after Clara's first season. (Imagine if Donna had gotten three seasons?)

Anybody get Whovian Xmas pressies? I got a sweatshirt with a snowman Dalek on it, a whisky tumbler with the Tardis and 'Doctor's Orders' etched on it and the 2022 desk calendar. 

On 27/12/2021 at 11:49 AM, Sweeping Strings said:

Anybody get Whovian Xmas pressies? I got a sweatshirt with a snowman Dalek on it, a whisky tumbler with the Tardis and 'Doctor's Orders' etched on it and the 2022 desk calendar. 

I did not get any Whovian pressies, but, quite by chance, I'm currently watching an episode of HUSTLE, which guest stars Colin Baker! How cool is that?!

In unrelated news, RTD has (apparently) already begun to hold auditions for Doctor #14. Looks like Michael Sheen is the firm favourite.

Sheen says he hasn't heard from anybody. Andrew Garfield and Tom Holland both deny any involvement.

I would be shocked if it was Sheen. I mean, what boxes does he tick?

1 hour ago, Tallguy said:

...what boxes does he tick?

None; maybe that's why RTD has - reportedly - got his eye on him?

Do people have to "tick boxes", anyway? Doctors #1 thru #12 (plus The War Doctor, and Grant), were not picked because they ticked boxes (although The Master could tick Ann Widdecombe's box, anytime :lol:).

Maybe #13 was...and look at what happened?

8 hours ago, Tallguy said:

I would be shocked if it was Sheen. I mean, what boxes does he tick?

He's WELSH! RTD would love to write a Welsh Doctor, I'm sure of it.

That said, I don't think that an older male Doctor is that likely for 14. 

7 hours ago, Docteur Qui said:

He's WELSH! RTD would love to write a Welsh Doctor, I'm sure of it.

Agreed! Much like Moffat writing Amy/Twelve  - 'I'm Scottish ... why am I Scottish? Oh well, now I can REALLY complain about things!'