The Doctor Who Thread.....

Greg1138

Ah, the Doctor's contradictory behaviour ... we could be here all day. Empathetic sometimes and coldly objective at others, anti-violence (except when he/she isn't), only interested in the companions in a friendly way (except for 9/10 and Rose) etc etc etc.   

Am watching Tom Baker's penultimate adventure The Keeper Of Traken, which introduces Nyssa as a companion. His last one (Logopolis) introduces Tegan. 

This has set me thinking ... is this the furthest into a Doctor's tenure that new companions have been introduced?  

Well... None of the other Doctor's did anything in their 7th season. But yeah, Turner was building Davison's first season out of Baker's last. (Including introducing Anthony Ainley's Master.)

Peri was introduced in Davison's second to last serial. I don't think any other companion comes close. So Tegan is the champ!

I've yet to watch Logopolis. Am interested to see how Tegan reacts to the Doctor regenerating so soon after meeting him. 

'None of the other Doctors did anything in their 7th season'. Probably because T Baker is the only one (to date) to have actually DONE a seventh season/series (second longest-running was his predecessor Pertwee, with 5).  

3 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

I've yet to watch Logopolis. Am interested to see how Tegan reacts to the Doctor regenerating so soon after meeting him. 

'None of the other Doctors did anything in their 7th season'. Probably because T Baker is the only one (to date) to have actually DONE a seventh season/series (second longest-running was his predecessor Pertwee, with 5).  

That was my point. :)

Doing some further research it looks like Poly and Ben joined the First Doctor for three serials (all four parters).

Neither the Second or the Third Doctor's changed companions in their last season. Zoe was the last addition to the Second Doctor's crew and was added well before his last season. Sarah Jane Smith joined for the Third Doctor's entire final season.

Mel joined the Sixth Doctor for his last two serials (one of which was a two parter) but it wasn't the intention at the time for that to be Baker's last show. Ace was with Seven for more than two seasons.

In nuWho the closest we've gotten was when Clara joined mid season in season seven. But she didn't know when she joined that Smith would be leaving as soon as she did. Otherwise all of the nuWho companions have been at least a season.

So, yeah. Four, Five, and Six are unusual (and all under John Nathan Turner).

I recall liking Logopolis rather a lot.

26 minutes ago, Jay said:

I smell bullshit but I wouldn’t be opposed to him being cast. Since his early fame as foppish English gent he’s become a pretty decent actor. His recent appearances in Charlie Brooker’s end of year spoof documentaries as a slightly racist old fashioned professor type were hilarious. 

Yes, I won't take something as "big" as this seriously without at least several more sources, but Grant can be good, and if done right could probably make an interesting Doctor. As to that other quote:

“The vision is that the show can be a Marvel-like product, building franchises around the Doctor and other key characters in his many lives.”

…isn't that what they've been doing for years?

1) I don't believe it for a moment.

2) I can't wait for the crossover episode with Tom Hiddleston's James Bond

3) More seriously: If true (which it isn't) what kind of Hugh Grant? Standard "Four Weddings" Hugh (which might be too close to Matt Smith)? Or something more interesting like what he did in The Gentlemen? Not THAT part, per se. But something with more range like that?

4) Again, not for a moment.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Again, Jay, it's the Daily Mirror. Let me repeat that, using words of two syllables, or less: The Daily Mirror. That should give you an indication of how genuine it is.

2 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Again, Jay, it's the Daily Mirror. Let me repeat that, using words of two syllables, or less: The Daily Mirror. That should give you an indication of how genuine it is.

Are you saying that we should not take this source for Granted? 

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

It's "quashes", not "squashes". Geez, Louise, where did these people go to school?

The 14th Doctor will be Oli Alexander. Trust me on this (Y)

My guess is the Grant rumour may have surfaced due to him being the lead in RTD's A Very English Scandal. I wouldn't mind him being the Doctor, since he got too old for romcoms he's emerged as a fine character actor. 

John Barrowman aka Captain Harkness always looked a bit like a young Hugh Grant anyway, so they've already "spent that card". ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Legend Of The Sea Devils trailer - 

Here's hoping it is what it looks like ... a fun, swashbuckling adventure romp featuring a returned classic monster. That's literally all I want from it. 

Finished watching The Keeper Of Traken - good-looking production, there was clearly a few quid spent on the sets. Have started Galaxy 4 ... animated Hartnell in colour, delightful! 

10 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

You've reminded me - I want to know why there's no Flux soundtrack yet. If Akinola's waiting for the entire series to finish first.... bad idea.

Murray Gold series 10! Murray Gold series 10! Murray Gold series 10! Murray Gold series 10! 

Oh sorry what were you saying? ;-)

Actually I quite enjoyed some of the music in Flux. Not that I can remember anything about it. 

I fell for an April 1st post on Facebook by one of the Who pages that RTD was bringing back Murray Gold ... seemed credible enough at first, what with the producer from his initial showrunning tenure returning. 

Shame it was a wind-up ... while I can still hum 'I Am The Doctor' 12 years on, I can remember pretty much nothing of Akinola's. 

1 hour ago, Sweeping Strings said:

I fell for an April 1st post on Facebook by one of the Who pages that RTD was bringing back Murray Gold ... seemed credible enough at first, what with the producer from his initial showrunning tenure returning. 

Shame it was a wind-up ... while I can still hum 'I Am The Doctor' 12 years on, I can remember pretty much nothing of Akinola's. 

It’s hard to see who else they might bring in given that it’s not just that RTD did lots of great stuff on Doctor Who but that he still scores everything else that RTD makes.

Totally with you on your other comment. I really wanted to give Anikola a chance and while there are moments, he just doesn’t have that remarkable gift for melody and enjoyable over the topness that MG brought to things. 

5 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Legend Of The Sea Devils trailer - 

Here's hoping it is what it looks like ... a fun, swashbuckling adventure romp featuring a returned classic monster. That's literally all I want from it. 

Finished watching The Keeper Of Traken - good-looking production, there was clearly a few quid spent on the sets. Have started Galaxy 4 ... animated Hartnell in colour, delightful! 

This is another thing I’m looking forward to in the RTD2 run, an increase in production design quality - because nearly every shot in that trailer looks so artificial

It’s a staggering contrast compared to a similar swashbuckling setting in Curse of the Black Spot, which went all out with the boat effects to the point I think for some shots they were out on an actual ocean (could be wrong). Either way, my point is it had a nice grounded feel to it, despite being a Doctor Who production from nearly a decade ago

The production quality notably increased during the Moffat era after the very cheap looking RTD era.  I love those seasons, but they got by with fun, charm, and good storytelling.

Yeah, rewatching some random RTD episodes after Moffat or Chibnall really shows how much the production quality improved.  Despite what people will say about Chibnall, he puts the money on the screen and Flux looked tremendous despite being done on COVID restrictions and seriously limited in terms of shooting.  The Davies era looks like any sitcom or soap opera you might catch on tv during the era.  Of course they were extremely limited and stretching the budget any way they could, but it does have a very cheap look about it, especially being filmed in SD.

I must admit, one thing that has really annoyed me, is when Chibnall or Strevens have been touting their latest/upcoming/etc season... must they always bring up how "cinematic" it looks? It's always felt lopsided to me, in their promotional interviews and such, too much "cinematic-looking" versus "clever/smart/exciting scripting". Guys, get your scripts in better shape. I don't want gorgeous-looking crap, I'd rather mediocre-looking mediocrity-or-better.

But that's just me.

First season of Torchwood seemed uncertain of how it wanted to be, tonally and whatnot. It had settled by the second, and I found the third (5 episodes, shown across 5 consecutive nights) very good. 

But the fourth ... ugh. I didn't even finish watching it, moving the action largely to the States worked badly against it IMHO. Gwen's line about lemonade in one of the eps I did see summed it up nicely - 'Fizzy in the UK, flat in the US'.   

On 04/04/2022 at 7:02 PM, Sweeping Strings said:

I can still hum 'I Am The Doctor' 12 years on...

Ah, yes, but... can you hum The Master's Theme, from TERROR OF THE AUTONS, or the Delaware synth farts, from THE SEA DEVILS, or the lovely descending tune in CITY OF DEATH? Hmm? Child?

On 05/04/2022 at 10:28 AM, Stu said:

The production quality notably increased during the Moffat era after the very cheap looking RTD era.  I love those seasons, but they got by with fun, charm, and good storytelling.

Perhaps, but they do have the benefit of being in an era where TV CGI is very nascent and thus sparsely used. As a result there's quite a few aspects of those seasons that hold up better than future attempts because of the necessity to do so much entirely practically in comparison

RTD and Bad Wolf productions are very good at getting the most out of a limited budget, so I'm kind of chomping at the bit to see what a production with more money behind it relatively would look like

These are both fine episodes. All things considered, I'd say that THE ELEVENTH HOUR is my favourite Smith story.

THE UNICORN AND THE WASP has always been a firm favourite. It has a great ensemble cast, and it's good to see Christopher Benjamin, back in DW.

Assured direction by Graeme Harper, makes this a superior Tennant story.

"Murder at the vicar's rage" :lol:

Having recently read Robots Of Death sequel novel 'Corpse Marker', I've embarked upon a rewatch of ROD ... great stuff. Agatha Christie in space essentially, long before she would actually feature in the prog in the aforementioned 'Unicorn And The Wasp'. 

On 05/04/2022 at 11:41 PM, Naïve Old Fart said:

Ah, yes, but... can you hum The Master's Theme, from TERROR OF THE AUTONS, or the Delaware synth farts, from THE SEA DEVILS, or the lovely descending tune in CITY OF DEATH? Hmm? Child?

As I think I've previously said, I am seeing much of Classic Who for the first time 'nowadays' on DVD as I thought it looked too scary to watch at the time (I was a timid child, lol). So I can maybe be forgiven for not having the show's music from then lodged in my memory.

Child ... hehehe, all that 'My child, dear boy, my dear' stuff (along with his little chuckles) are the most appealing things about the Hartnell Doctor for me. He 'twinkles' wonderfully.   

I remember watching DW as a child, and - literally - hiding behind the sofa.

Hartnell always had a little twinkle, in his eye. Doctor #1 (the original, you might say) always had a very playful, mischievous quality. That's why, for me, Hartnell, like the Sycorax, rocks.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Has anyone seen it, yet? I'm watching it tomorrow, at a friend's house.

Meanwhile, I've read that 

Reveal hidden contents

are returning.

That was sadly the most intriguing part of the episode for me, and it's not even in the episode. Although from the Next Time trailer they're very clearly throwing everything at the wall, an approach that Flux shows is not a good idea with the current production.

Standard Chibnall Who fare, couldn't even tell there was a guest writer on this. What I will give props for is that the last scene actually mustered something close to an emotionally resonant scene for this era, even if it is treading old ground. Really not a fan of 13 saying that Yaz is one of the greatest people she's known, Yaz has done absolutely nothing for her in comparison to The Doctor's other companions, and it feels like a retcon to prop up new characters rather than something the character organically came to believe.

The central character has to be very weak for me to admit that a companion has been the best part of a show, but I truly think that Yaz has been the best thing about 13's tenure. I just hope they don't go and spoil it all, by having some silly lesbian one-on-one girly action.

I've recorded it, was out last night ... this is the first Easter break with normalised opening hours for pubs, entertainment venues etc in NI's history and therefore a new Who ep wasn't enough to keep me in the house. Once it might have been, but oh well. 

Am hoping that with it being a 'historical', we won't be subjected to lectures from the Sea Devils about the state of the oceans (although if they'd been the 'opposition' in Praxeus for that reason, that episode would've been much improved IMO).   

I thought it was ... not bad. It felt weird to have a special that was pretty much standard episode length as opposed to an hour, and compared to the penultimate episodes of other Doctors it felt ... well, kind of low-key really. I think my favourite thing about it was the line about Stephen King adaptations. 

They're clearly throwing everything at the wall of the Tardis console room to see what sticks for Whittaker's finale, including the return(s) of - 

Spoiler

Dhawan's Master, Ace and Tegan 

- so we shall see. Also the announcement of the new Doctor will be soon-ish, apparently. 

Chibnall has said he fully expects RTD to ignore what he's done, so maybe we'll get to pretend the Timeless Child thing never happened.