The Doctor Who Thread.....

Greg1138

On 09/05/2022 at 6:15 AM, Positivatee said:

Trans, according to Darren Grimes. Whoever he is

According to Wikipedia, he's a political activist.

Having read some information about Mr. Gatwa, I can find no evidence of him being a trans person. Trans celebrities usually advertise the fact.

2 hours ago, DarthDementous said:

Tell me you can’t hear The Doctor doing a monologue like this, it almost reminds me of Capaldi (it’s not just the Scottish accent I swear): 

Well, this shows he can handle gravitas (something Whittaker's Doctor mostly seemed to lack). 

I wonder will he play the Doctor with his own accent ... from the previous Scottish Doctors, McCoy and Capaldi did but Tennant didn't. 

On 08/05/2022 at 9:04 AM, Marian Schedenig said:

Completely unknown to me, but then first jumping into Who right after the Smith era probably gave me a skewed perspective that most Doctors were widely known big name actors.

Matt Smith was even more unknown than this new guy when he was cast.

I have no opinion on the new one.  He's a bit young (around the same age as Smith was actually, who I also thought was a bit young), but that's not a strong negative for me.

3 hours ago, Stu said:

Matt Smith was even more unknown than this new guy when he was cast.

That was sort of what I was getting at, because by then Smith was already well known because of this role (and I still haven't seen him in anything since). I suppose it was Tennant's mainstream breakthrough as well, even though he was already "established" before that. And I'd never heard of Capaldi either. The only Doctors I was familiar with as actors before were Eccleston and Whittaker (and Hurt).

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

That was sort of what I was getting at, because by then Smith was already well known because of this role (and I still haven't seen him in anything since).

Ah ok, I misunderstood what you were saying. 

That's interesting you hadn't heard of Capaldi as I'd have said he was the most well-known and famous of the modern Doctors prior to their casting. 

I'm still amused by the fact that Capaldi is on the cover of one of my favorite records of all time, Local Hero. I've known what he looked like since 1985 (when I was already a huge Doctor Who fan) and had no idea it was him until he'd been the Doctor for a couple of years!

71kS7t-CLVL._SL1400_.jpg

Let's run through them, shall we?

Hartnell: a respected character actor, who was in BRIGHTON ROCK, CARRY ON SERGEANT, and others.

Troughton: another respected character actor.

Pertwee: the same, plus he'd been a star of BBC radio's THE NAVY LARK.

Baker: had a star turn in NICHOLAS AND ALEXANDER, and was in THE GOLDEN VOYAGE OF SINBAD.

Davison: a star of LOVE FOR LYDIA, and ALL CREATURES GREAT AND SMALL.

Baker: had been in BBC's THE BROTHERS, and ARC OF INFINITY.

McCoy: stage actor, appeared in VISION ON, and was part of the KEN CAMPBELL ROADSHOW.

MaGann: was in THE MONOCLED MUTINEER, WITHNAIL AND I, EMPIRE OF THE SUN, and ALIEN ³.

Eccleston: star of OUR FRIENDS IN THE NORTH, LET HIM HAVE IT, and GONE IN 60 SECONDS.

Tennant was is CASANOVA, and GOBLET OF FIRE.

Smith: was is MOSES JONES.

Hurt: the best fucking actor in the entire fucking world.

Capaldi: was in LOCAL HERO, THE THICK OF IT, and won an Academy Award, in the mid '80s.

Whittaker: was in BROADCHURCH.

Granted, some of these people may not have been international stars, but DW was never a star vehicle.

Never seen SEX EDUCATION, and not heard of this actor (although his face seems vaguely familiar), but sure -- curious to see what he can bring to the role.

I hope at some point we can go back to the doctor being a relatively "old" man -- I don't know, gives it a certain resonance and comfort somehow. Capaldi had the potential, but alas had to deal with irritating scripts most of the time, and his stint was too short anyway.

There's an interesting "long read" about Gatwa, on the BBC News website.

11 hours ago, Thor said:

Capaldi had the potential, but alas had to deal with irritating scripts most of the time, and his stint was too short anyway.

I dunno. The Capaldi era seems like a blur, to me. No. More sort of a mist; almost there, but not quite. Corporeal, but elusive. I never really accepted him. I can't say why. Something just wasn't right. 

RTD has admitted that some of the casting rumours were deliberately put out there by the Who team in order to throw people off the scent 'but the James Corden one wasn't us'.

lol, even him being in the show before wasn't enough for them to be able to bring themselves to put that rumour out there.    

On 10/05/2022 at 2:27 AM, Thor said:

Capaldi had the potential, but alas had to deal with irritating scripts most of the time, and his stint was too short anyway.

Capaldi had some of the strongest scripts of any Doctor.

And let's not look back on the RTD era with rose tinted glasses

Spoiler

love and monsters 1.jpg

32 minutes ago, Stu said:

Capaldi had some of the strongest scripts of any Doctor.

And let's not look back on the RTD era with rose tinted glasses

Disagree on both counts.

50 minutes ago, Stu said:

Hide contents

love and monsters 1.jpg

I'll defend LOVE AND MONSTERS until the day I die. It wasn't about The Doctor (it's never about The Doctor), it was about fandom, and the unlikely connections which can happen through fandom. I like it, very much. Ok, so the Abzorbaloff was a bit rubbish. It was created by a child, so give it a break, fer cryin'out loud.

@Docteur Qui I thought you were agreeing with me and then I realized I didn't post!

Maybe I'm settling into an opinion that I'm just reinforcing, but I'm pretty sure Capaldi is my favorite NuDoctor. EDIT: What Dr. Q. said.

Has there ever been a companion as radically improved as Clara? Capaldi Clara and Smith Clara are almost two different characters. And crazy drunk with grief and nothing to lose Clara (season 9) is amazing.

Bill Potts is terrific through and through.

I should revisit the Smith era. I find that those big "What's going to happen next" arcs like Moffat wrote actually age better when you already know (for better or worse) what's going to happen.

Love and Monsters is the Bill Cosby of Doctor Who stories. Such a legendary story totally undone by it's ending. Is it true that the villain was based on an actual high-profile fan?

6 minutes ago, Stu said:

I loved how Moffat found his big beating heart by the end of the Capaldi run.  Just unashamedly sentimental about the whole thing, what a sendoff.

Furious empathy is a trait that becomes the Doctor well, and nobody can match Capaldi at it.

36 minutes ago, Stu said:

I loved how Moffat found his big beating heart by the end of the Capaldi run.  Just unashamedly sentimental about the whole thing, what a sendoff.

12's Speech to the Zygons: Top THAT!

12's Speech to the Masters (because it's KIND!): Hold my beer.

Aiieeee! Wow. No, really. It never got any better than this. And I will be joyously shocked if it ever does.

1 hour ago, Tallguy said:

Love and Monsters is the Bill Cosby of Doctor Who stories. Such a legendary story totally undone by it's ending. Is it true that the villain was based on an actual high-profile fan?

It's speculated that the Absorbaloff was based on Ian Levine, specifically his penchant for sucking the fun out of fandom and his obsession with canon (i.e. just about every Reddit user in just about every fandom). Before you investigate the wormhole that is Levine, be warned that he's an... interesting individual. Whatever you do, don't listen to "Doctor in Distress", you'll thank me.

10 hours ago, Tallguy said:

12's Speech to the Zygons: Top THAT!

12's Speech to the Masters (because it's KIND!): Hold my beer.

Aiieeee! Wow. No, really. It never got any better than this. And I will be joyously shocked if it ever does.

To go from vehemently denying he's a hero in his 3rd episode to this ... well, it warms the cockles and dampens the eyes.

Never doubt it, Doctor. We never have.

On 09/05/2022 at 12:11 PM, DarthDementous said:

Since the actor played a flamboyantly gay character in Sex Education, I wonder if that flamboyance will transfer to The Doctor. I think that would be a lot of fun and fresh, and for all I know RTD is teeing the 14th Doctor to be bi or gay which would make for some very interesting and new companion dynamics. Gay relationships are practically RTD’s bread and butter so it would be playing to a strength

He's definitely going to have more balls about it than Chibnall (uughgh) unless they tell him off. But they may not. (Among the audience it is usually easier to get straight eyes on gay/bi men than gay/bi women.)

On 09/05/2022 at 6:43 AM, Tallguy said:

Well, they moved on to the next few checks on the diversity BINGO card. Not sure what else they could do, really.

I actually went "oh no a man" for a little while but then I stopped caring because I don't care about DW that much nowadays

On 09/05/2022 at 7:15 AM, Positivatee said:

Trans, according to Darren Grimes. Whoever he is.

I don't know any british trans actors but I imagine they're there somewhere. The BBC would throw a fit though.

I haven't seen Sex Education but this actor seems good to go, from people's reactions

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/sci-fi/doctor-who-ncuti-gatwa-casting-diversity-newsupdate/

Refreshing to hear this from RTD, hoping it means that Gatwa will get to ... well, just BE THE DOCTOR. Had enough of being preached at by Chibnall et al, thank you very much.   

4 hours ago, Brónach said:

I don't know any british trans actors but I imagine they're there somewhere. The BBC would throw a fit though.

Simply typing "trans British" into Google brings up the obvious one: Eddie Izzard. 

And of course, Oli London is both transgender and transracial. Such bravery. 

18 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

10's "Lion King" speech, to the Sycorax :lol:

Hehehe ... we wait a long time for 10 to be up and about in that ep. but when he is ... wow. In 15 minutes or so, DT is UTTERLY the Doctor. 

According to RTD, in the Radio Times, the 13th Doctor finale will have a running time of 90 minutes. That makes it equal in length with THE FIVE DOCTORS, and the second longest single episode, if you take the latter's SE length of 100 minutes, into consideration.

Wow, I can’t imagine Chibnall being able to make 90 minutes work. His episodes are simultaneously rushed and slow as molasses. It’s not like anyone’s dying to see a farewell tour of the companions in the vein of Tennant’s finale, how on earth will he pad out a movie length episode? Not even Day of the Doctor tried for that length (though it could’ve and still would’ve been great).

Still, keen to see what he does for his last hurrah, at the very least he’s had a bit more time to write this one. I recently read that the Sea Devils ep was a last-minute script after the BBC demanded an extra episode in 2022, which explains just about everything about it.

Well, at least that length means that the former companions, Daleks, Cybermen, the Master, Kate Lethbridge-Stewart and the returning Flux characters might have room to breathe. 

That said, it's a bit annoying in a way that such a disjointed era of Doctor Who is getting a movie-length finale. Not sure it's earned it, really.    

I wonder if we’ll see any acknowledgement that a good portion of the universe and its in inhabitants were eradicated by the Flux without so much as an “oh well” from the Doctor. That better get wrapped up…

I'm sure that RTD, will acknowledge it, if only to preserve some sort of continuity, although it might be done in a "quiet" way, much like the gradual reveal of the Time War.

Personally, I hope that RTD retcons the shit out of this show. 

I expect The Doctor to wake up, and see Patrick Duffy in his shower.

6 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Hehehe ... we wait a long time for 10 to be up and about in that ep. but when he is ... wow. In 15 minutes or so, DT is UTTERLY the Doctor. 

That is the greatest strength and weakness of the episode.

I've always hated the "Doctor is not him/herself" regenerations. Spearhead From Space, Castrovalva, Christmas Invasion, Deep Breath. (Twin Dilemma is almost it's own category.) Especially back in the day where that kind of story meant that you didn't even really SEE the Doctor that week! Give me Robot. A few minutes to find his footing and then set Doctor on Baker, maximum power!

2 hours ago, Docteur Qui said:

It’s a bit disconcerting. RTD could be cavalier with his genocides, but there’s quite big difference when it’s genociding half the universe. Talk about breaking the toys before putting them back in the box.

How much of the universe was gone after Logopolis?

2 hours ago, Tallguy said:

I've no idea, but it's a great question.

A few minutes to find his footing and then set Doctor on Baker, maximum power!

The only Doctor to try to kill on of his assistants.

Give me Robot.

I like ROBOT, too. Did you know that Dicks blagged that gig?

(Twin Dilemma is almost it's own category.)

Yeah; bloody awful! :lol:

Thankfully, Baker's next story was much better.

2 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

A few minutes to find his footing and then set Doctor on Baker, maximum power!

The only Doctor to try to kill on of his assistants.

Heh. I meant Tom. Tom does lock Harry in a closet, doesn't he?

On 11/05/2022 at 5:49 PM, Docteur Qui said:

Whatever you do, don't listen to "Doctor in Distress", you'll thank me.

Oh dear. I kind of remember this now. That was really terrible. AND performed by Zimmer himself?

OK, new question:

Is there a resource that breaks the Murray Gold CDs down by episode? As much as I love the season 3 and 4 CDs, the later sets got so massive that I just haven't been able to get into them. Maybe if I took them in episode sized chunks?

I never knew how much I loved Infinite Potential until it was used in Time of the Doctor. What else am I missing?

13 hours ago, Tallguy said:

Is there a resource that breaks the Murray Gold CDs down by episode? As much as I love the season 3 and 4 CDs, the later sets got so massive that I just haven't been able to get into them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Who:_Series_5_(soundtrack)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Who:_Series_6_(soundtrack)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Who:_Series_7_(soundtrack)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Who:_The_Snowmen/The_Doctor,_the_Widow_and_the_Wardrobe_(soundtrack)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Who:_The_Day_of_the_Doctor/The_Time_of_the_Doctor

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Who:_Series_8_(soundtrack)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Who:_Series_9_(soundtrack)

Maybe if I took them in episode sized chunks?

I also needed this approach to get into the longer releases. It's a bit more chronological but still a bit shuffled around to make a proper flow. And each disc has it's own beginning, middle and end. I works really well imo. But if they're still to long for you, I once made ~80 minute whittles of Seriesss (what's the plural of this word?) 5-9.

But I you want to listen to some episode scores, I recommend you "The Eleventh Hour", "Vincent And The Doctor", "The Rebel Flesh / The Almost People", "The Wedding Of River Song", "Asylum Of The Daleks", "The Angels Of Manhattan", "The Time Of The Doctor", "Mummy On The Orient Express", "Last Christmas" & "Heaven Sent".

I never knew how much I loved Infinite Potential until it was used in Time of the Doctor. What else am I missing?

A lot.

21 hours ago, Tallguy said:

That is the greatest strength and weakness of the episode.

I've always hated the "Doctor is not him/herself" regenerations. Spearhead From Space, Castrovalva, Christmas Invasion, Deep Breath. (Twin Dilemma is almost it's own category.) Especially back in the day where that kind of story meant that you didn't even really SEE the Doctor that week! Give me Robot. A few minutes to find his footing and then set Doctor on Baker, maximum power!

I enjoy how the Doctor's post-regen disorientation can be played for laughs  - 

I enjoy listening to the tracks from The Pandorica Opens/The Big Bang a lot, they form a nice little sequence.

I also really hope Murray Gold gets around to releasing series 10, the score to World Enough and Time/The Doctor Falls especially is great.

2 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Not just for laughs though - I find the Doctor's (and everyone else's) confusion and helplessness quite moving as well. And Smith's introduction was comedic and magical at the same time.

That's one of the issues with Chibnall's Doctor. She's often funny, but then she's only that, which ends up not being that funny after all (just another opportunity for Whittaker to do some fine work that the show rarely allows to be more than a mere acting accomplishment).

4 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Oh, yeah? Peter Davison really hams it up.

"The regeneration is failing!". WTF?! You're two episodes into a 3-year tenure (not to mention that you've already filmed FOUR TO DOOMSDAY). I don't think so :lol: