The Doctor Who Thread.....

Greg1138

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

And Smith's introduction was comedic and magical at the same time.

Yeah, but he was the full on Doctor from the first minute. He might have had those spasm things and he kept saying he wasn't up to speed. But he was exactly the Doctor he was going to be. Compare it to Davison or Pertwee or Capaldi.

And thanks for the links, @Dave.

Smith's intro ... yeah, there's some great physical comedy and the bonding with Amy when she was a little 'un is both amusing and sweet. 

The Eleventh Hour is my favourite 'new Doctor's first episode' in NuWho.  

1 hour ago, eitam said:

That's great news, but... I'm disappointed if that means implicitly that Matt Smith and Capaldi won't return. 

This is like when Film Score Monthly announced the expanded Wrath of Khan. It was but the beginning. (Yes I'm a ridiculous optimist.) 

7 hours ago, eitam said:

That's great news, but... I'm disappointed if that means implicitly that Matt Smith and Capaldi won't return. 

Not necessarily.

Pertwee, and Troughton (twice), returned, to work with JN-T. I understand that Capaldi has ruled himself out of the 60th, but I'm sure that Smith would want to participate.

Hehehe - RTD was all 'I'll shut up until next year, Jodie's still got her finale to go' ... and then goes and tweets the Tennant 'n' Tate news. 

As the Chibs and Whittaker era limps to an end, seems to me the Beeb are just fine with RTD putting out positive fan-pleasin' stuff.  

Based on rumors of another Doctor being spotted in Cardiff recently, I don't think Tennant and Tate are the only returning actors, just that they're getting ready to film on location which would obviously be spotted by paparazzi and RTD just wanted to get ahead of the news. 

Yeah the last few days has seen a lot of pics from filming doing the rounds on Twitter. The casting announcements were all to get ahead of all that. 

From what I've seen so far: (huge spoilers)

Spoiler

Donna, her husband, Wilf and Sylvia are all appearing. There's speculation that the newly-announced character named Rose (Yasmin Finney) is Donna's daughter. If that's true, does that mean a meta-crisis can be genetic? Will we have another half-Timelord running about? And might that mean Donna could somehow regain her memories without her head exploding? I can only hope so, and RTD has pulled worse tricks out of his bag to reverse his characters' fates (looking at you, Master, and your resurrection potion)

Not only that, but:

Spoiler

Rachel Talalay (Moffat's go-to director for the Capaldi era) tweeted this today:

Two (TARDIS-blue) hearts and a clapper!

Talalay, Capaldi and Matt Lucas (Nardole) have been sighted in Cardiff as well. TWELVE IS BACK!! I can't wait to see him written by RTD.

I'm particularly delighted at Talalay coming back. Her episodes were the highpoint of the revival IMO. Great direction and energy, without ever calling attention to itself like so much prestige TV directing does.

This special is shaping up to be more bonkers than Day of the Doctor. And more ambitious I might say. So ambitious that I'm starting to wonder if we'll be getting more than just a single, movie-length special, perhaps a few episodes...

Rumour has it that it's a trio of specials throughout next year climaxing in a regeneration into Ncuti Gatwa. It's so nice having buzz around Doctor Who again! Also interesting that so far RTD has done more promotion for the final Whittaker episode than anyone who's actually involved in it.

36 minutes ago, MattyO said:

Rumour has it that it's a trio of specials throughout next year climaxing in a regeneration into Ncuti Gatwa. It's so nice having buzz around Doctor Who again! Also interesting that so far RTD has done more promotion for the final Whittaker episode than anyone who's actually involved in it.

So the previous doctors would be the doctor for the purpose of the specials?! How would JW’s regeneration work then?

Apparently she will "degenerate" into Tennant at the end of the centenary special. It's not clear if he's the original 10, the metacrisis clone of 10 or a new Doctor with a previous face.

45 minutes ago, MattyO said:

Apparently she will "degenerate" into Tennant at the end of the centenary special. It's not clear if he's the original 10, the metacrisis clone of 10 or a new Doctor with a previous face.

That’s novel but guess it could work. An interesting twist if so!

Been watching the spoilery news stuff with excitement. It's been quite a while since I've gotten this excited by Who news. And this is just the last 2 weeks or so! :)

I do not like the idea of Jodie "degenerating", that's crap in terms of storytelling and general making-and-promoting-a-TV-show terms. The average viewer (which they really, really want to pull in again) would have no clue what the "metacrisis Doctor" is, or care, or understand. They'll just be excited that "Hey that guy we liked on Doctor Who a while ago is Doctor Who again!".

I hadn't heard the "3 specials before Ncuti" buzz. My guess was that the stuff from the last few days is for a "Night of the Doctor" mini-episode type thing, but I (along with most of the world) have no real idea of the actual truth of it. 

Spoiler

I do like having the "new" Rose be Donna's child, if those rumors are true, that's a nifty idea IMHO. (As long as no metacrisis crap enters the picture to needlessly muddy things up.)

I'm highly amused by how since the announcement of Ncuti, RTD promised to 'shut up' until next year as overshadowing Whittaker's finale would be unfair ... and then he announces the return of Ten and Donna and then this new character named after a previous one.  

I'd say it's BBC mandate to hype the next era of DW as much as possible considering the dire response (and viewing figures) of Legend of the Sea Devils. There is more buzz right now about the show than I've seen since Jodie Whittaker's debut.

9 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

What makes you think it's a new character..? ;)

Well, apparently her full name is - 

Spoiler

Rose Temple-Noble 

- which would seem to indicate that she's - 

Spoiler

Donna's daughter. 

As well as Gold, I'd love to see previous writers return ... Toby Whithouse, Mark Gatiss, maybe even Moffat could be persuaded.

I mean, some of Chibnall's picks ... Ella Road (co-writer of the Sea Devils ep) is a playwright who had never written for TV before, so why should her debut be for a prestige 'flagship' show like Who? 

I'd like to know why Paul Cornell never wrote again for the show.  I mean gracious when your only two contributions are  enough to put you in the DW writers hall of fame ("Father's Day" and "Human Nature / Family of Blood").

4 hours ago, Brónach said:

I have never loved a Mark Gatiss episode

Neither, though I very much like The Unquiet Dead and the camp romp that is The Crimson HorrorVictory of the Daleks is fun as well. His episodes are not excellent, but when I glanced at his output just now I have to say than only Sleep No More is a real clunker, the rest are solid if underwhelming.

Hoping for another Maxine Alderton or Jamie Mathieson episode in the new series. I hope they pitch to RTD and he likes them. But I wouldn't be surprised if RTD pens the majority of series 14. I doubt Moffat will return any time soon, as much as I'd love him to. Who knows, he might take over from RTD in 4 years and the whole cycle begins anew.

Who nose?

maxresdefault.jpg

10 hours ago, Stu said:

I'd like to know why Paul Cornell never wrote again for the show.  I mean gracious when your only two contributions are  enough to put you in the DW writers hall of fame ("Father's Day" and "Human Nature / Family of Blood").

Fun fact: HUMAN NATURE was, originally, a novel, published in 1995, featuring the 7th Doctor.

Agreed on FATHER'S DAY. It's fantastic. Shaun Dingwall steals that episode.

7 hours ago, Docteur Qui said:

Neither, though I very much like The Unquiet Dead and the camp romp that is The Crimson HorrorVictory of the Daleks is fun as well. His episodes are not excellent, but when I glanced at his output just now I have to say than only Sleep No More is a real clunker, the rest are solid if underwhelming.

Hoping for another Maxine Alderton or Jamie Mathieson episode in the new series. I hope they pitch to RTD and he likes them. But I wouldn't be surprised if RTD pens the majority of series 14. I doubt Moffat will return any time soon, as much as I'd love him to. Who knows, he might take over from RTD in 4 years and the whole cycle begins anew.

Who nose?

maxresdefault.jpg

The visual gag in The Crimson Horror with Jenny revealing her leather 'combat gear' and Eleven hurriedly lowering the 'erect' sonic is brilliant.  

It's a great episode ... a pacy romp with homages to 'penny dreadfuls' and Gothic horror (particularly Frankenstein), the Doctor referencing a past incarnation ('I had to get a gobby Australian to Heathrow once' and 'Brave heart, Clara'), digs at religious fanaticism, Diana Rigg and daughter Rachael Stirling acting together for the first time, a truly icky 'critter' in Mr Sweet, and a bloody big rocket.  

In other words, everything you want, in a great episode.

I love Rigg's "D'you know what these are, Doctor? The wrong 'ands".

It's interesting that a special that is eighteen months away, is getting more - far more - publicity, and interest, than a story that is going to air in approximately five months (possibly less) and that features a regeneration, and two returning companions. How quickly we have forgotten Whittaker/Chibnall.

25 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

In other words, everything you want, in a great episode.

I love Rigg's "D'you know what these are, Doctor? The wrong 'ands".

It's interesting that a special that is eighteen months away, is getting more - far more - publicity, and interest, than a story that is going to air in approximately five months (possibly less) and that features a regeneration, and two returning companions. How quickly we have forgotten Whittaker/Chibnall.

I think a large chunk of the audience (myself included) wants to forget this era like it was a bad dream

6 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

To quote Merlin: "A dream, to some. A NIGHTMARE, TO OTHERS!".

I didn't think it was bad. The Smith era certainly had more oomph, than the Capaldi era.

Well, yeah. I remember when Moffat first took over and fans left in droves. I was sitting there going "this is the best thing I've ever seen, what is wrong with you people?". I've grown a bit since, and acknowledge that different strokes etc. There's quite a vocal crowd who love Chibs' run, bless their little hearts. They'll hate RTD2 while we lap it up. That's Doctor Who for you. As I always say, if you don't like it, just wait a few years, then it'll probably be for you.

2 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I think that there was TONS of hype about Whittaker's exit. It's just that it was too early and there's only so long that you can talk about what you can't talk about. Plus the news of a new Doctor always outweighs the news of an old one.

OTOH, we have our first black / gay Doctor (actor) and that was buzz for about four seconds (kinda) before AAAAAHHHHHHHH! DAVID TENANT AND CATHERINE TATE!

1 hour ago, Docteur Qui said:

I remember when Moffat first took over and fans left in droves.

I think the Smith era was when Who truly became an international hit.

I wonder if it's a case of publicly RTD et al still staying behind Whittaker and Chibnall for PR reasons, but the BBC privately very much in damage control mode and keen to move forward with RTD's reboot.

22 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

To quote Merlin: "A dream, to some. A NIGHTMARE, TO OTHERS!".

I didn't think it was bad. The Smith era certainly had more oomph, than the Capaldi era.

I think when DD quoted you, he meant that the current era was the one that people would rather regard as a bad dream.

On 20/05/2022 at 12:45 PM, Naïve Old Fart said:

I've not forgotten Jodie but I have forgotten Chibnall :(

I don't like this idea of

Spoiler

regenerating into David Tennant one bit, I'd just rather have time travel shenanigans with both of them

On 20/05/2022 at 2:28 PM, Docteur Qui said:

Well, yeah. I remember when Moffat first took over and fans left in droves. I was sitting there going "this is the best thing I've ever seen, what is wrong with you people?". I've grown a bit since, and acknowledge that different strokes etc. There's quite a vocal crowd who love Chibs' run, bless their little hearts. They'll hate RTD2 while we lap it up. That's Doctor Who for you. As I always say, if you don't like it, just wait a few years, then it'll probably be for you.

The thing is he wrote, at the time, and then later again, some of the strongest series finales in the revived series

Everybody sees RTD1 with Rose colored glasses but while he had strength Moffat didn't he's not for everyone either

but here's the thing: i'm equally worried about the other writers, the lack of writer communication and the Who phenomenon that happens sometimes of having the showrunner write everything

1 hour ago, Brónach said:

I've not forgotten Jodie but I have forgotten Chibnall :(

I don't like this idea of

Hide contents

regenerating into David Tennant one bit, I'd just rather have time travel shenanigans with both of them

The thing is he wrote, at the time, and then later again, some of the strongest series finales in the revived series

Everybody sees RTD1 with Rose colored glasses but while he had strength Moffat didn't he's not for everyone either

but here's the thing: i'm equally worried about the other writers, the lack of writer communication and the Who phenomenon that happens sometimes of having the showrunner write everything

Considering of the latter never happened during his previous era, at least in terms of sole writer, I see no reason to expect that being the case now

With Chibnall's era there was more broad writer communication than ever before because it was the first time modern Who was structured with a writing room (someone correct me if I'm wrong). So the issue isn't writer communication, the issue is whoever ends up as showrunner because they're across every piece of writing for the show, often having to do extensive yet uncredited re-writes (particularly common in the RTD era), which means their individual ability has huge consequences for the show. It's true Chibnall's work suffered as a result of solely writing so many episodes, he talked about in DWM recently how Battle of Ranskoor Av Kolos was a first draft he wasn't happy with for a finale, but there was just no time to do any re-writes. I'm kind of baffled why he did have to do that, whenever RTD was getting massively crunched which was pretty much 24/7, he'd relinquish control to let another writer take over under his supervision.