The Doctor Who Thread.....

Greg1138

My favourite one of the NuWho beginnings remains Smith's in his first couple of seasons ... the Vortex depicted as a sort of cloud tunnel, the Tardis being tossed about by lightning strikes, 'Matt Smith', 'Karen Gillan' and 'Arthur Darvill' come at us in quick succession followed by the show logo as the theme goes 'Baam baam baam, BAAAM BAAA BAAAAMMMM!!!!' 

Iconic. Gave/gives me goosebumps.  

7 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

My favourite one of the NuWho beginnings remains Smith's in his first couple of seasons ... the Vortex depicted as a sort of cloud tunnel, the Tardis being tossed about by lightning strikes, 'Matt Smith', 'Karen Gillan' and 'Arthur Darvill' come at us in quick succession followed by the show logo as the theme goes 'Baam baam baam, BAAAM BAAA BAAAAMMMM!!!!' 

Fair enough. I loved Smith's theme. I wasn't as crazy about the clouds because I loved the Eccleston / Tennant graphics with it's nod to the Pertwee / Baker years. But that theme tune "got" Smith's Doctor as no theme has before of since. (OK, fine, the original was pretty spot on for Hartnell.) The electric guitar version for Tennant isn't bad. I love Capaldi's theme tune, but it doesn't scream "Twelfth Doctor".

When that chorus comes in and then the men go up an octave "AHHHHHHHHHHH!" I think "Gads that's RIDICULOUS!" and then "It's PERFECT! Do it some more!" 12 years later it still makes me grin.

How do you manage to take the Doctor Who theme and make it all knees and elbows and bow ties?

Can you imagine if Pertwee had a version that nailed his character the way Gold did for Smith? I'd go swing from a chandelier any time I heard it! With a glass of fine wine in one hand!

----------*----------*----------*----------*----------*----------*----------*----------

Fact: Murray Gold never wrote anything as good as Silence in the Library / Forrest of the Dead. (He wrote a lot of great stuff that wasn't as great as this.)

Opinion: Possibly neither did Moffat.

16 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

YES! Totally agree with you on this one, I have a very soft spot for that rendition. The ominous horns in the opening really do it for me too!

• 2 weeks later...

I have just had a most agreeable week's holiday in Edinburgh. Like Glasgow, the city has preserved its Police Boxes (although they are more rectangular than the classic design) ... they are mostly being used as coffee kiosks these days, and the proprietor of this one clearly thought there was only one name he could give it - 

302562912_10159043343477615_283113437735

302731992_10159043343652615_423672425826

Some BBC insiders who have allegedly seen it are claiming it's a 'hot mess' ... fitting for how Whittaker's tenure has ended up, I guess.   

Blu-Ray of the latest (and possibly the last) animation-restored classic adventure (The Abominable Snowmen) is on its way to me.  

9 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Some BBC insiders who have allegedly seen it are claiming it's a 'hot mess' ... fitting for how Whittaker's tenure has ended up, I guess.   

Agreed. The Chibnall "era" (if one can call it that?), has been a series (no pun intended) of bad judgement, bad writing, and fucking around with DW lore. It's an aberration from start to finish.

Can the October special be any more of a hot mess than THE LEGEND OF THE SEA DEVILS?

13 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Blu-Ray of the latest (and possibly the last) animation-restored classic adventure (The Abominable Snowmen) is on its way to me.  

THE ABOMINABLE SNOWMEN is brilliant, but THE WEB OF FEAR is better. In 1968, Yetis in the Underground scared the living shit out of me.

8 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

What I saw looks genuine, but, watching it again, I confess that it could be fan-made.

Anyway, it's "Doctor Who Centenary Special | Trailer".

Asking me to provide a link is a bit like asking a fish to recite poetry :lol:

There’s no official trailer out yet, you gotta make sure it’s from an official channel to tell if it’s real or not

23 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Agreed. The Chibnall "era" (if one can call it that?), has been a series (no pun intended) of bad judgement, bad writing, and fucking around with DW lore. It's an aberration from start to finish.

Can the October special be any more of a hot mess than THE LEGEND OF THE SEA DEVILS?

THE ABOMINABLE SNOWMEN is brilliant, but THE WEB OF FEAR is better. In 1968, Yetis in the Underground scared the living shit out of me.

The Web Of Fear holds up ... it's a pacy and creepy (I agree ... there's definitely something about those damn robot Yetis) adventure. 

To those of you with access to Radio 4 Extra and BBC Sounds, the former is currently broadcasting Tenth Doctor audio adventures at 6:00 pm on Saturday evenings and they are then available on the latter afterwards. 

There have been 3 so far (Technophobia, Time Reaver, Death And The Queen) and another 3 are to follow. 

23 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

To those of you with access to Radio 4 Extra and BBC Sounds, the former is currently broadcasting Tenth Doctor audio adventures at 6:00 pm on Saturday evenings...

You are about to enter...the 7th dimension :)

I've seen some speculation that Whittaker will not actually regenerate into Gatwa, but will actually regenerate into Tennant just for the 60th special next year, and that Tennant will then regenerate into Gatwa.  Sort of a mid-regeneration revisit of an old face/persona before moving on to the "real" regeneration.

Hmm. Interesting. It's never been done, before, and there is no historical precedent (although it was suggested by The Curator, in the 50th anniversary special), but, then again, DW has been fucked around with so much, recently, that one more fuck-up seriously won't make much difference.

I'd prefer to see Doctor #10 in the 60th, as another Doctor, as he was in the 50th. This all sounds like fan service.

Yes, I'd also heard that Whittaker will 'degenerate' into Tennant and then he will regenerate into Gatwa. I'd say it's absolutely fan service ... RTD attempting to bring back viewers after how the last few years have been by having the most popular 'NuWho' Doctor reappear. 

1 hour ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Yes, I'd also heard that Whittaker will 'degenerate' into Tennant and then he will regenerate into Gatwa. I'd say it's absolutely fan service ... RTD attempting to bring back viewers after how the last few years have been by having the most popular 'NuWho' Doctor reappear. 

Ohhhh, don't let my wife and daughter hear you say that. (Whittaker and Smith, respectively.) 

The Doctor having to deal with regenerating into a past re-incarnation but with all the extra experience they've had up until that point sounds infinitely more interesting than just bringing back 10 as he was at some point between S2 and S4 again

I find it ironic that people consider this 'just for fan service' when it's something that hasn't been done before, yet would be happy with just doing the same thing over and over again for the anniversary which would somehow not be fan service

While there is a precedent for The Doctor choosing who he/she regenerates into (DESTINY OF THE DALEKS; FIRES OF POMPEII), there is no precedent for a Time Lord/Lady to regenerate into a previous incarnation. Of course, it is possible for The Doctor to be forced into a previous regeneration. As it stands, however, I believe that this would be fan-service of the most crass kind. RTD is capable of much better than that.

Bringing back actors of past regenerations for anniversary specials has always been fan service. Whether it's justified depends on what they do with them. Having the Doctor temporarily regenerate into an earlier version seems an interesting idea. There doesn't have to be a precedent for everything - most new ideas come without one, and for the rest, the precedent itself was the point when there was no precedent for it.

The downside to it would be not getting Whittaker and Tennant acting together.

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

There doesn't have to be a precedent for everything - most new ideas come without one, and for the rest, the precedent itself was the point when there was no precedent for it.

Er... could you please announce when you are going to write something like that? It's just that my brain is starting to bleed.

Finally news about a Flux release: https://silvascreen.ochre.store/release/331257-segun-akinola-doctor-who-series-13-flux-original-television-soundtrack

11th Nov.

Good thing I never bothered buying the Revolution... album either, as that's the third disc.

Episode Tracklist.

On the Murray Gold Scala of releasing scores between way too late and never is Akinola's effort a solid 6/10. A whole year between Season and Score release. Not bad. But S9 and S10 took longer. Maybe next time Segun...

• 2 weeks later...

Oh cool, I forgot it was on digital this week! Who and RoP albums on the same day :)

On 19/09/2022 at 2:41 PM, Dave said:

On the Murray Gold Scala of releasing scores between way too late and never is Akinola's effort a solid 6/10. A whole year between Season and Score release. Not bad. But S9 and S10 took longer. Maybe next time Segun...

I was hoping for a sooner release of Flux but I suppose he waited until the material from all of Whittaker's final episodes was done to put it all together.

Anyone else find it weird that there's less than a month to go to The Power Of The Doctor and we haven't had a sniff of a trailer? Chibnall was clearly really glad to get the hell out of Dodge after Legend Of The Sea Devils.   

33 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Anyone else find it weird that there's less than a month to go to The Power Of The Doctor and we haven't had a sniff of a trailer? Chibnall was clearly really glad to get the hell out of Dodge after Legend Of The Sea Devils.   

Maybe...

On 08/09/2022 at 9:12 AM, Tallguy said:

Is it weird that you have an outgoing Doctor and the regen episode is being tied to to Beeb's 100th and it's a month away... And we don't even have a date?

2 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

I was hoping for a sooner release of Flux but I suppose he waited until the material from all of Whittaker's final episodes was done to put it all together.

Sad to say I got about half an hour in and gave up on the Flux score. Actually a bit disappointed as I seem to remember thinking it was quite good in context. But after really quite a lot of synth noodling interspersed with the odd vaguely interesting passage, it just didn’t seem worth it. Thor thought of another two hours of that was not appealing…

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

Without a doubt, the absolute highlight across both albums for me is The Runaway Bride, a cue which entered public consciousness when it was performed at the musical celebration concert with Tennant. I don't think he wrote cues like that in later seasons - maybe the show's stories didn't allow for it.

It's better swashbuckling music than Gold wrote for the pirate episode a few series later. And with some James Bond brass thrown in to boot.

Oh, way better. Something about series 6 didn't inspire music on the same level.

13 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Sad to say I got about half an hour in and gave up on the Flux score. Actually a bit disappointed as I seem to remember thinking it was quite good in context. But after really quite a lot of synth noodling interspersed with the odd vaguely interesting passage, it just didn’t seem worth it. Thor thought of another two hours of that was not appealing…

I have yet to listen, but I tend to enjoy Akinola's synth noodling more than Gold's more recent orchestral noodling. It's easier to get away with electronic 'filler' material, and being realistic a 2 1/2 hour release will have filler.

Having said that, I wasn't very taken by most of that NY Daleks episode, so who knows :)