The Doctor Who Thread.....

Greg1138

6 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Some would doubtless take your last sentence there and accuse you of 'gatekeeping'. Not me ... it's a positive, noble and worthy thing IMO.   

Would that be "Warrior's Gate" keeping, Sweep? :lol:

4 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

"Ark in Space" is the very first classic Who story I watched, and it was a great one to start with.  Still one of my favorites to this day.

Our local PBS station always swapped Ark in Space and The Sontaran Experiment. Annoying.

The first Doctor Who I saw was The Pirate Planet. So it will always hold a special place in my heart.

When was the first time we saw Tom in the TARDIS? I'm nearly certain they didn't show the inside for his first season at all.

16 hours ago, HunterTech said:

Given literally the last program RTD made, this sort of decision is definitely not one he'd make lightly.

I guess to stay more on track with the general atmosphere of the thread, I've certainly grown actively more interested in the franchise in recent times. In the past, I'd always hear about how messy Moffat's run of the series was, and then subsequently getting tired by the vitriol the Chibnall era brought in spite of any legitimate critiques one has with it. And yet, a couple of factors (mainly from rediscovering someone I used to follow due to his association with a different chap, a wonderful set of retrospectives by a YTer, and just finding the theme song to be the coolest thing ever) has made me want to give the show a proper watch. Because I'm bad at generally investing in media, I'm a bit slow to actually watch anything that isn't fan productions, but I am considering starting from Tom Baker based on a recommendation I saw.

If your interest lies with the reboot era then I would recommend starting from Season 1 Episode 1 “Rose”. Jumping in around the Baker era may be confusing since unlike the beginning of the reboot it assumes you have a fair amount of hands on experience with the show already

Would also be the most relevant in anticipation of RTD’s new era next year

It's absolutely a more ideal starting place, yet I do have a fondness for the older style of television as well (growing up with Get Smart reruns probably contributed to that). I guess I'm mainly curious because I do want to see some of what's considered the best material in the franchise (plus a particularly keen interest in McCoy for a rather silly idea I have). But at the same time, it does appear the doctors I most want to get to know are the later ones, so perhaps that will be the way to go.

4 hours ago, DarthDementous said:

If your interest lies with the reboot era then I would recommend starting from Season 1 Episode 1 “Rose”. Jumping in around the Baker era may be confusing since unlike the beginning of the reboot it assumes you have a fair amount of hands on experience with the show already

Maybe it assumes you know what a Dalek is. But other than that it barely assumes you know what the last episode was.

(My first Dalek episode was Destiny of the Daleks. The big cliff hanger is "OH! DALEKS!" Even though they are IN THE FREAKING TITLE! I, of course, was clueless.)

@TallguyAgree with what you said about watching the classic era stuff episodically rather than as 'binges' ... back in those days, the show was on for almost half the year and consequently quite a few of those stories can be quite slowly-paced and 'padded out' which can end up testing one's patience over a longer time period than 25 - 30 minutes. 

48 minutes ago, DarthDementous said:

Even the most praised serial 'Genesis of the Daleks' is like that!

When my kids were little they didn't have much (any?) interest in classic Who. (My daughter adores Matt Smith.) But Genesis held their attention.

It's so ambitious and the fact that it actually pays off is just astonishing.

It's funny that when you think of it Tom Baker was fairly light on returning villains. In seven years we got two Dalek stories, one Cybermen, two Sontarans (the new kids of the block) and three Master stories. Is that it? Am I missing anyone?

And yet his first season was Sontarans, Daleks, and Cybermen. (Oh, my.) All in a row!

1 hour ago, Tallguy said:

two Dalek stories

Of course when one of those is Genesis of the Daleks, you don't need any more!

I think the Tom Baker story I'm most fond of that perhaps is underrated is The Ribos Operation.  I feel like it's one some fans think is a bit boring, but I dunno I just really enjoy that one.

10 hours ago, Tallguy said:

Maybe it assumes you know what a Dalek is. But other than that it barely assumes you know what the last episode was.

Before I watched Rose, all I knew about the Daleks was the name, the pepperpot shape, and probably "Exterminate". I think the first time I saw one directly associated with the name Dalek was in the lousy 4th series of Coupling. Rewatching that show after knowing Who showed me that there were more Dalek jokes in there that had never registered with me before.

But for Doctor Who, that's all I needed to know (if that), and the way they reintroduce the Daleks worked perfectly for me.

On 12/11/2022 at 10:16 AM, HunterTech said:

I just dislike the easy assumption that it's to appease the easily offended, since as he mentions, the idea that it could be used to weaponize attacks against minorities is fairly prevalent still. I guess it's a harder thing to picture for some when you don't have to worry too much about your background getting suppressed.

Thank you, this is very well articulated. It's not about caving in to some imaginary offended individuals, it's about not giving the hideous media more ammunition in the culture wars.

Exactly! Especially when it's so easy for some to be misunderstood after your own culture has been viewed through a very specific lens for so long. It kind of grinds my gears a bit when people rail against diversity (when it really should be corporate misappropriation they're after), since it seems like they can't fathom the idea that this (from a glance) minor change could add plenty of character by itself if given to the right hands (which admittedly unfortunately doesn't happen too often currently).

11 hours ago, Tallguy said:

When my kids were little they didn't have much (any?) interest in classic Who. (My daughter adores Matt Smith.) But Genesis held their attention.

It's so ambitious and the fact that it actually pays off is just astonishing.

It's funny that when you think of it Tom Baker was fairly light on returning villains. In seven years we got two Dalek stories, one Cybermen, two Sontarans (the new kids of the block) and three Master stories. Is that it? Am I missing anyone?

And yet his first season was Sontarans, Daleks, and Cybermen. (Oh, my.) All in a row!

Truth be told even the First Doctor serials hold my attention, but that’s because I have an appetite for that kind of media

That Genesis of the Daleks is a favourite even among New Who afficionados is a testament to how strong the core material is and how it supersedes any structural differences. That being said there’s definitely Classic Who padding, I can imagine a version of this story that has much greater focus. However, quite a lot of those side stories reveal interesting world building so it all ends up being rather cohesive. Sarah Jane being captured could’ve just been that, but it gives an opportunity to learn about the lower class of the populace.

I think after some Capaldi workprints leaked, and they were filled with very lazily thrown in HZ temp tracks, I am a bit apprehensive about the later Gold seasons possibly feeling a bit too influenced by the RCP sound. I Am The Doctor was able to combat it by adding a lot of flourishes to make it feel more distinct, but A Good Man really just lays it thick with the blockbuster modernization. Akinola weirdly hasn't had any of those kind of moments in the bits I've heard (besides maybe the rendition of the main theme), so perhaps Chibnall gave him more leeway in comparison.

Given there was discussion of potential new candidates for the seat pages ago, David Arnold would be fun on the basis of already having history with the franchise with his version of the DW theme. Same goes for Joe Kraemer, who really needs another high profile gig at this point.

4 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Not exactly the most dynamic version of the theme, or is it just me? 

It's not just you, Sweep.

At least Akinola's version was in E minor.

Just don't mention the fucking Delaware!!!

4 hours ago, HunterTech said:

Apparently it was submitted in an incomplete state, as Arnold had intended to add more to it. It's generally competent enough, but I think the 1986 version is better at being the darker and more mysterious take on the theme.

I like Dominic Glynn's take, for THE TRIAL OF A TIME LORD.

I've also got a soft spot for Keff McCulloch's version, but Peter Howell rules... especially in 5.1, with my home cinema amplifier turned up to 11 :)

2 hours ago, TBO1711 said:

Hopefully if RTD gets Murry Gold back, he might release the Series 10 soundtrack

If that's what it takes to get season 10 then Gold can play Donna's theme on a loop for the whole season and go home for all I care!

6 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

It's not just you, Sweep.

At least Akinola's version was in E minor.

Just don't mention the fucking Delaware!!!

I like Dominic Glynn's take, for THE TRIAL OF A TIME LORD.

I've also got a soft spot for Keff McCulloch's version, but Peter Howell rules... especially in 5.1, with my home cinema amplifier turned up to 11 :)

The middle eight usually makes my heart soar (I swear I can hear the show's 'fantastic adventures in time and space with a hero like no other' premise RIGHT THERE) ... but not in that Arnold version. Plodding, morose, lifeless ... thank God he was better at scoring that other pop-culture cornerstone James Bond.   

It's not a bad version, but I don't hear much of Arnold, in it, if you know what I mean.

The version used in SCREAM OF THE SHALKA, is better. My personal jury is still out, on Debney's version, but I do like the icy piano.

Does anyone know the version by The Eric Winstone Orchestra?

I still like the Arnold version. I mean, it was the first new Who theme we had heard in over 10 years. And it was David Arnold!

Oh, sorry, I forgot Debney. Ok, not 10 years but a long time.

Of course then Gold said "Hold my beer..."

2 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Does anyone know the version by The Eric Winstone Orchestra?

This one?

Um... It sounds a bit as if the band from The Nightmare Before Christmas had a go at Doctor Who.

On 14/11/2022 at 1:28 PM, Positivatee said:

Donna's Theme is great. 

"It is. But it can wear out it's welcome pretty fast. Like Donna." - Donna's Mom

(Donna is my favorite companion of nuWho. Possibly ever. Any time I hear anyone say anything bad about her I am perplexed.)

Rose and Martha weren't bad companions at all, but Donna having no romantic inclinations towards the Doctor after those two made for a refreshing change. 

Curiously, I was never a fan of Catherine Tate's own comedy but often found Donna very funny.  

Digital release dates

Eve of the Daleks - 2nd Dec

Legend of the Sea Devils - 9th Dec

The Power of the Doctor - 16th Dec

The combined 3-CD album will be released on 13th Jan

https://mobile.twitter.com/segunakinola/status/1593208512791957506?cxt=HBwWhMC-ofCsm5wsAAAA&cn=ZmxleGlibGVfcmVjcw%3D%3D&refsrc=email

Awesome - I'm so glad Akinola got his entire era released before interest in Whittaker's era disappeared. He's achieved something that it feels like Gold will never do!

Plus a disc per special has to mean the complete scores - I particularly noticed some good music in Power.

I'll probably only buy it on CD if I really love the music though - I only got Series 11 on CD - I have 12, 13 and RotD on digital.

On 12/11/2022 at 3:06 PM, Disco Stu said:

"Ark in Space" is the very first classic Who story I watched, and it was a great one to start with.  Still one of my favorites to this day.

...or, if you live in Bristol:

"The 'Ark At 'Eee, In Space" :lol:

Looking forward to seeing these two carry the show. Very welcome change and new era!

I still need to finish Whitaker's run - just haven't had time to follow Who the last couple of years, but I enjoyed the handful of Whitaker episodes I had time for.

Even though Ncuti looks as young as Millie, that age difference of 30 to 18 is really helping give Ncuti the sense of being young and fresh but with more experience of the world. I was already convinced that I was seeing The Doctor and his companion without them even being in acting mode, so I can’t wait to see them in the show proper

Nice to see that they seem to have officially gone back to calling the companion the "companion". I never liked Chibnall's renaming them to friends/family/fam; I feel it somehow diminished them. To me, "companion" always had a sort of unofficially official connotation to it: It's a very specific role, a sort of accolade, deliberately bestowed by the Doctor on people that have been in some way or other chosen for it and have proved worthy of it.