The Doctor Who Thread.....

Greg1138

Heh, interesting. Shows the extent that 'Dalekmania' reached during Doctor Who's early years. 

Bond has a fondness for gadgetry and 'regenerates' every so often, but I'm sure any similarity to Time Lords is purely coincidental ... 

Rassilon | Doctor Who | Doctor Who

Oh. 

Liking 'The Wild Blue Yonder' ... it's nicely evocative of one of the most appealing aspects of the show for me, the heading off into the unknown with an adventurous spirit. Granted, it's originally about flight within Earth's boundaries rather than in time/space but 'The Wild Black Yonder' doesn't quite have the same ring to it. lol.  

Still unanswered. Maybe we still won't know right up to broadcast, which would be great ... RTD (and Moffat after him) were very good at keeping big surprises under wraps (the initial return of the Master, Tom Baker's cameo in the 50th anniversary special etc).   

7 hours ago, DarthDementous said:

I have a feeling The Toymaker thing is a massive misdirection and NPH is playing something different entirely

I'm inclined to think that you're right.

On 17/05/2023 at 10:20 AM, Sweeping Strings said:

Tom Baker's cameo in the 50th anniversary special etc.

"You know, I rather think you might".

That was so left-field, it was gasp-inducing.

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

"You know, I rather think you might".

That was so left-field, it was gasp-inducing.

It was so good. It's winding down, everyone has left, and then... THAT VOICE. I don't remember if I froze or if I shouted or all of the above.

Nine and a half years ago. Crazy.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone got any ideas on how the 14th Doctor will regenerate into the 15th Doctor? It looks like the 15th Doctor has the 14th Doctor outfin on by the 2 trailers with him in it at the end. My 4 questions are: Who is he talking to when he says "Someone tell me what the hell is going on here?" ,where is he, does the 14th Doctor want to regenerate or doesn't he like the 10th Doctor, and will he have a companion with him when he regenerates?

My guess would be that Ruby (like Nine and Rose) will meet Fifteen in his first full episode (which will apparently be the first Christmas Day special since Capaldi). Donna is back for Fourteen's 3 60th anniversary specials, as is Wilf.  

32 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I just wish that there was a way to marry Cribbins' Wilf, with the character he played in DALEKS - INVASION EARTH: 2150 A.D.

I'm sure Moffat has been racking his brain to figure that one out.

19 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

Moffat. He was the one who wanted the Cushing movies in the Black Archive and was figuring out convoluted ways to do it.

I mean it would be pretty easy to turn it into a parallel universe type thing with some defining point in Wilf and the Doctor’s lives that resulted in different paths being followed. Like Turn Left basically. 

26 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

Moffat. He was the one who wanted the Cushing movies in the Black Archive and was figuring out convoluted ways to do it.

Ah yes, think I recall reading something about that. Don't mind them as sorta standalone curios myself.

Do you think we'll get the soundtrack for Series 10 before the 60th Anniversary Specials are released of aster the 60th Anniversary Specials are released and will we get the specials soundtracks a a week or two after or a year or 2 after same goes with Series 14?

14 minutes ago, TBO1711 said:

Do you think we'll get the soundtrack for Series 10 before the 60th Anniversary Specials are released of aster the 60th Anniversary Specials are released and will we get the specials soundtracks a a week or two after or a year or 2 after same goes with Series 14?

We'll probably need a time travel device in order to be around in the year they are released...

Since the 60th Anniversary Special and Series 14 and onwards are being released on Disney Plus, do you think there will also be DVD releases?

On 04/06/2023 at 8:59 AM, TBO1711 said:

Since the 60th Anniversary Special and Series 14 and onwards are being released on Disney Plus, do you think there will also be DVD releases?

I would have said no, but recently Iger has been saying they've been losing money by not having physical media.

11 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

I would have said no, but recently Iger has been saying they've been losing money by not having physical media.

It's OK, they just sack loads of Pixar staff instead... including the lady who had Toy Story 2 backed up at home when someone else deleted it by mistake. Lovely company run by lovely people who love their employees and everyone else.

4 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

It's OK, they just sack loads of Pixar staff instead... including the lady who had Toy Story 2 backed up at home when someone else deleted it by mistake. Lovely company run by lovely people who love their employees and everyone else.

Sounds exactly like one of those urban legends but I remember googling at the time this story came out, and again just now and everywhere says it's true!

Although given the severity of the command they ran (basically, remove everything recursively and ignore any protests from applications) I have to assume that whoever ran the command knew their tech stuff but weren't clued up as to where the business assets were stored.

And physical score releases will no doubt continue - Who is a big thing for Silva Screen and there are lots of collectors who want CDs.

My hunch for series 10 would be a tie-in with either Tennant's first episodes or Gatwa's. No one seems to trust a soundtrack release on its own strength.

I just hope they release the DVD's in my country. I'm from Australia. Also i wonder if Murray Gold will release the Series 14 soundtrack after the whole Series has aired same with the specials. The good thing about it being released on Disney Plus is the range of pops vinyls we might get

I wonder how they are going to release the 60th Anniversary episodes? Either on 1 week Saturday, Sunday, Monday or an episode every week or 2 weeks?

Had to laugh upon remembering Chibnall's assertion that 'the drama audience is bigger on Sunday evenings' when it was revealed that on the night, the Antiques Roadshow repeat on BBC2 at the same time as the Sea Devils special last year had been watched by more people.  

If there has to be a timeslot, I agree it needs to be Saturday evening.

But like others I watch it on iPlayer whenever I have a suitable moment on some day after broadcast.

As an Australian, the Saturday time slot equals Sunday daytime viewing for me, which is perfect. I have very fond memories of my first few years living out of home, hungover eating junk food and watching the latest episode in bed. Those were the days!

I get that the notion of a scheduled timeslot for a programme might seem like a terribly antiquated idea and yes, a lot of my viewing is via catch-up services these days. But for this man of a certain age there's something nicely comforting about things being where they 'belong', if you like ... especially since a lot of the UK's terrestrial TV programming on a Saturday evening now consists of gameshows and 'reality' talent shows. It's good to have a bit of sci-fi/fantasy like the Doctor in there, like a bit of a 'spanner in the works' (I didn't want to use the phrase 'disruptor', seems to be far too popular with absolute dickheads these days). 

I see Sixth and Seventh Doctor companion Mel (Bonnie Langford) will be appearing in the new series. Interesting, as seems to often be cited as classic Who's most irritating one.