The Doctor Who Thread.....

Greg1138

Though that documentary, as great as it would be, might be too hopeful. ;)

True, but the Beeb do love their quirky documentaries (I'm looking forward to the upcoming "Who Peter"!) and they really do owe RTD a huge debt of gratitude, and a sizeable portion of the money he's made for them over the last 6 years! :) Here's hoping.

Something I'm hoping for even more is a soundtrack release with selections from all the specials. With the speed that Silva got the season 4 CD out (it was announced only a few months after the finale aired), I don't think it's an unrealistic thought.

RTD is sending us secret messages! I know it!

:sleepy:

John- watching his new copy of Trial of a Time Lord on DVD and remembering how good and underappreciated most of it is

Not sure if everyone's aware of this, but here's some tidbits about the End of Time Christmas special (massive casting/possible plot spoilers!)

Rose and Jackie are returning. This somewhat worries me. I was hoping that those characters would be left alone, at least for a little while. It seems a bit redundant having the whole "kitchen sink" cast (Sarah-Jane, Luke, Jack, Rose, Jackie, Donna etc) in Tennant's big send-off, considering how "Journeys End" concluded. But this is RTD's show for just a bit longer, I guess he can play with those old toys one last time.

More interestingly - and the bit I'm most excited for - is the excellent Jessica Hynes rejoining tbhe show. She is not, however, reprising her memorable role as Nurse Joan Redfern but is instead portraying a character called "Verity Newman". The interesting bit is that her character has been seen signing a book she has written called "A Journal of Impossible Things", and it has a picture of a fobwatch on it! Hah. Can't wait to see what that's all about.

I'm usually not one for spoilers, but I'm so damn excited for new Who that I just can't control myself!

EDIT - I found all this on Wikipedia, and all sources have been cited there. Just in case anyone was wondering!

Yes and yes. :)

The first one:

Apparently the Doctor knows that he's about to regenerate, and wants to see Rose one last time. He travels back to a point before she met him and watches her and Jackie from a distance. Short scene, short appearance.

The second one:

The Doctor goes to a bookstore and confronts "Verity Newman" about the book. Don't know any more details, other than he looks pretty ticked off.

Both of those are taken from reports of the location shoots of the respective scenes. I had actually forgotten about the second one.

Haha, I should've known you'd be onto it already John. Yes, that first point kind of makes sense and puts me at ease a bit! It's probably going to make me cry to watch.

Still really excited about that second thing though!

From the Digital Spy forums via Life, Doctor Who, and Combom, this could well maybe possibly be the first description of the new TARDIS interior. If true I knew the Moff would be heading back toward the classic look, as the multiple areas around the console room (a staple of the Hartnell TARDIS) and return of the regular roundels (I'm picturing the 60s-early 70s style large hollow ones, not the late 70s-80s gold ones) attest.

The set is on 2 levels, joined by a spiral staircase, but is not as big as I'd thought. It's apparently finished though sections of it seem to be missing at present. We saw the console room, a lab area, a sort of sitting room area, a fairly long section of corridor leading nowhere and numerous other little nooks and crannies. The console room reminds me of a new and shiny version of the old one, except the roundels are very simple and basic looking, simply spherical dents in the walls.

These new style roundels are featured throughout the whole set, though not on every wall. Back to the console room - mainly golds and silvers and the coral theme has been replaced with a smooth marble like finish. Also the room is not circular, it's a kind of hexagon-joined-to-a-square shape, the hexagon bit containing the console, which to me looked like the same console they've used throughout the series except with new buttons and blinky lights, though apparently it's entirely new. Your beloved hatstand was still there but no sign of the interior doors, also there was no ceiling to the set - could be that these bits are meant to be there but were missing from the set for some reason I suppose.

Apparently the whole set has been designed in a modular way, so things can be moved and double as other parts of the ship. The roundels are different colours in each area, gold for the console room, silver/grey/blue in the lab, brown in the sitting room. The roundels can be removed/swapped out or even turned around completely to be convex rather than concave, in order to become a different area.

The TARDIS interior changes. It has always changed. It will keep changing.

Heck, the Doctor himself has changed many times.

Why is there a problem with changing the TARDIS interior?

(Personally, I've never been overly fond of the RTD TARDIS interior, I don't hate it or anything, just is kinda "meh".)

I hope they use more of the interior of the TARDIS now - I'd really like to get a sense of the scale of this technology.

I'm imagining a Star Trek-esque "ship in a bottle" episode right now, where the threat of the day is inside the TARDIS itself....

Hmmm, maybe not.

I hope they use more of the interior of the TARDIS now - I'd really like to get a sense of the scale of this technology.

The classic series had lots of stories where we saw more of the TARDIS interior. I was always disappointed that we never went beyond the console room in the RTD new series, other than the quick scene in the wardrobe room in The Christmas Invasion.

I'm imagining a Star Trek-esque "ship in a bottle" episode right now, where the threat of the day is inside the TARDIS itself....

Check out the early Hartnell story The Edge of Destruction. It's a little 2 parter that takes place completely in the TARDIS, and it's actually my favorite story from the early days of the show. A nice little character piece, with more than a little psychological horror thrown in. Just don't think about the actual plot too much. :)

Susan is mega creepy in that one, possibly Carole Ann Ford's finest hour on the show.

So, has the BBC has given Moffat a direct order, OR is the Moff as good at giving us the ol' misinformation swerve (ie lying, but with good intentions) as RTD was? Either way, the reports that Moffat was not going to bring the Daleks back this year appear to have been proven false: a Dalek was reportedly seen during location filming today. Now the photographic evidence is less clear than those pictures of Bigfoot and the Loch Ness Monster, but the info is from reliable sources. Scooty is legendary in the Who internet community for his location scoops. Life, Doctor Who, and Combom has several posts on the matter.

Perhaps they just brought one out to confuse people and distract them from what's really being filmed. Personally, I'd rather see more of the Cybermen or Santarans again before I see the Daleks for the umpteenth time.

I know they've already built the Dalek casings and so they'd be a relatively cheap monster to bring back, but personally I think it's time to bring back the Krynoids or the Zygons! I'd be over the moon.

I want to see the Draconians again. Hell, I want a whole Frontier in Space like space opera again. Pertwee's best story, IMO.

As for the Zygons, I tell you, a lot that's happening right now is jiving pretty well with some spoilers that I read many, many moons ago. The Zygons were also involved in those spoilers.

I want to see the Draconians again. Hell, I want a whole Frontier in Space like space opera again. Pertwee's best story, IMO.

As for the Zygons, I tell you, a lot that's happening right now is jiving pretty well with some spoilers that I read many, many moons ago. The Zygons were also involved in those spoilers.

Oooh! :P

Watched bits of The Stolen Earth and Journey's End again this week.

Still have several nagging problems regarding Billie Pipers's return. Yes her acting was far better then it was in her distracting performance in Turn Left (I believe she even said in an interview that she's forgotten how to play Rose).

She looks a lot more mature then she did in series 1 and 2. Rose was 19 in the first ep. She should be about 23 now, but she just does not look it.

The worst problem is that RTD also seems to have forgotten how to write Rose.

In this she is shown marching around London carrying a massive canon, barely flinching when things explode around her.

That's an action hero cliche dating back to the 80's, It's NOT Rose Tyler.

I'm rather annoyed that RTD changed her into Buffy now.

The final 10 minutes with the departure of Donna are still pure gold though.

I think that was the idea - she'd turned into a hardened version of her former self. Losing the Doctor and the subsequent threat of the reality bomb has messed with her and caused her to mature way beyond her years. Also, who knows how long it's been since her last appearance? There was at least a year alone between her separation from the Doctor and his holo-goodbye to her on the beach. It could've been 5 or 6 years between that and her return in S4.

Yes, the implication is that she's been through a whole lot in the alternate universe. We even came *this* close to getting a Rose spinoff based on that. When she and Tennant get together again it's pure Rose, like she was never away.

Oh, and when the new series was first being developed RTD did mention that Buffy was a big influence on creating the new companion. :)

No, but its to be expected. Seeing as she was very young, being left alone caused to have to grow up fast and mature well beyond her years. We aren't told what's happened to her, but considering how she was its expected that she's been through quite a bit and is far from the Rose Tyler that left the Doctor years earlier. Just because no one implicitly said it doesn't mean it wasn't to be implied. People complain that the new Who is too "dumbed down" (not necessarily here but in other places) but when I situation like this comes up, people want to be force fed everything.

Unfortunately, there wasn't enough time for Doctor and Rose to sit and chat about what she's been up to since they split, so the audience had to see her personality change and make the proper accusations.;)

After being an occasional viewer in the past, over the past few months I've been watching every episode I've been able to catch I tv as well as the "Lost in Time" DVD collection. I now consider myself a Who fan and I can't wait for "The End of Time." While it will be bittersweet as I like Tennant the best out of the eight doctors I've seen (not Colin Baker or Jon Pertwee) I'm looking forward to the Moffat era as I always enjoy his episodes.

Nice. It's great how the new series has helped people discover classic Who as well (and rediscover it too, as I did). The Lost in Time collection is one of my favorite DVD releases. Since they're all "orphaned episodes" I had never seen them before as our PBS station, like all the others I'm sure, would only show complete stories.

Without "pre-90s" Doctor Who, there would be no modern Doctor Who. It's too bad you're not into it, Stefan, but there are plenty who do enjoy it still to this day. Me included. :)

I don't understand this Luddite attitide, especially from a J.W. fan. Of course, one does not NEED to watch classic Who to enjoy the new stuff, but I believe you are selling yourself if you don't. Believe me, Stefan, there is a LOT more to Doctor Who than 4 series, and (soon to be ) 8 specials. What is it exactly that puts you of classic Who? Length of stories, lack of special effects, having to watch the whole thing out of order, what? Pixie is right, there are loads of Who stories that are brimming with wit, adventure, and humanity. Enough to last a lifetime, if necessary. O.k., so the special effects aren't, but the imagination more than makes for these shortcommings. Anyway, we all know what can happen when someone has an unlimited budget, but stunted imagination (Eps. I, II, and III, anyone?). Go on, give the old stuff a chance, child. You might like it, hmm? Swallow your pride, and have a Jelly baby!

Steef. A Luddie is scared of new technologies, therefore he'd be a classic Who fan and new Who hater. I learned all this from watching The Mark of the Rani. :)

Some news: Series 3 of Sarah Jane will start transmission on October 15 (or 15 October for those of you on that side of the pond).

Doctor Who Monthly has run a new poll asking its readers to rate the top Doctor Who stories of all time, the first time such a poll has been done since the new series started. The top 10:

1. The Caves of Androzani (5th)

2. Blink (10th)

3. Genesis of the Daleks (4th)

4. The Talons of Weng-Chiang (4th)

5. The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances (9th)

6. Human Nature/Family of Blood (10th)

7. Pyramids of Mars (4th)

8. City of Death (4th)

9. Robots of Death (4th)

10. Bad Wolf/The Parting of the Ways (9th)

As soon as I see a link for the whole list I'll post it.

Three so-called "NewWu" are on that list (Blink/Family of Blood/Bad Wolf). Interesting that they're on the list, but considering I've only seen the new episodes and Genesis of the Daleks from the list, I really can't comment.

Blink is insanely popular in Who's home country. I wouldn't call it my #1, but I can see why it's up there. As for the classic Who entries, they're the same ones that are always on top in polls like this, no surprises, except maybe that the new Whos bumped the usual Troughton entries out of the top 10 and left just Tom's and 1 Davison. Here's the entire list of 200:

http://lifetheuniverseandcombom.blogspot.com/2009/09/dwm-mighty-200-001-050.html

http://lifetheuniverseandcombom.blogspot.com/2009/09/dwm-mighty-200-051-100.html

http://lifetheuniverseandcombom.blogspot.com/2009/09/dwm-mighty-200-101-150.html

http://lifetheuniverseandcombom.blogspot.com/2009/09/dwm-mighty-200-151-200.html

Although this list is by no means definitive, I'm quite facinated by it. I dont' have much to do tonight so I think I'm going to put together some insane breakdowns of this thing.

• 3 weeks later...