The Doctor Who Thread.....

Greg1138

The Waters of Mars.

The previous 2 specials were a bit superficial. Thankfully this one really takes the Doctor into moments of selfdoubt, and instead of being a passive bystander, not meddling with a pivotal moment in history, he acts, claims he rightfull place as Last Of The Timelords, harnesses Time, changes it....and changes himself.

Tennent once again finds a great mixture between his bumbling, almost clown-like Doctor, and the omnipotent, powerfull being that lies beneath that facade.

Of the rest of the cast Lindsay Duncan is really all who matters. She's very good as a stern commander who defies even a Timelord and takes history back from him.

The story is good, though a lot happens in 60 minutes. Music is often loud, but not that much of it is memorable. (loved the quote from All The Strange, Strange Creatures though, when Doc finally dicedes to act).

Not a brilliant episode on the whole, but one with some brilliant stuff in it!

*** out of ****

The End Of Time.

Spoilers

I'll be brief.

Up intill the last 20 minutes of part two this was again a colorfull, busy, overblown pantomine that has far too many things in it for it's own good.

Bernard Cribbins was a stand-out, and the moments when things settled down a bit, and he and Tennant just sat together and talked were pure gold.

John Simms was again brilliant, but there was a lot of confused writing as too what exactly happened, why he's flying and shooting bolts out of his hands.

But again, the few moments when things calmed down a bit....pure gold.

The final 4 knocks...wow.

BTW, only 2 of the Timelords voted against leaving the Timelocks. Both appeared to be wonen.

Obviously one was The Doctor's mother, the other one was The Master's mum. Clear as a blue sky.

It would have been nice for this popular character to dissapear with that famous smile,rather than with a petrified look and murmerings of not wanting this.

It just seemed that what made him stand out was his confident and chirpy character, and it was rather sad seeing him so 'reluctantly' renew in the way it occured.

I disagree. I think they wanted to make it as heartbreaking as possible.

What's more heartbreaking and heroic then someone sacrificing himself even though he does not want to die, and then clings on to dear life for every last second.

It's the 10th Doctor's most human moment.

Wow, I wouldn't expect you (or anyone else at this forum) to join that crowd, Steef. I see that complaint a lot, but I don't see why. It's refreshing to me so have the music mixed to prominently, especially if we never end up getting complete scores.

Now if it was Zimmer or one of the MV monkeys I'd be throwing a fit. ;)

I've never thought the music was mixed so loudly that it was at the expense of the dialogue or anything else in the audio. With so many movies trying to bury the music it's nice to have so up front and center.

Now the CD releases are mixed too loudly. I remember Steef's thread on that and that was one of the first things I thought of.

I thought you got everything 24hrs before us?

I hope I didn't miss it.

You didn't. It won't be shown on ABC until later this month. "Waters of Mars" only screened a couple of weeks before Christmas.

BBC America actually showed both the night after their UK premiere, a new record. But they also cram commercials into it, which just ruins the flow of the whole thing for me.

Yes, at least ABC is not a commercial channel. Can't imagine Doctor Who on any other channel here, the ads would completely ruin it. It's not like LOST where sometimes the commercials create more excitement and tension with what just happened at the end of the act.

Thank you for the link to that interview by the way John, it was fantastic. I love the in-depth interviews with Gold and Foster, they're so enlightening to the whole process of television scoring. I liked his nods to Giacchino and Zimmer and how he'd consider it an honor to be on their "level". I personally think he's doing just fine! Glad to hear he'll be back for season 5, and I do get the impression that with Davies' departure will also go the more bombastic, action-packed, running-through-corridors aspects of the show. I'm fine with this; they did get a little tiresome after a while and RTD isn't exactly a master of subtlety. I definitely look forward to hearing Gold's tweaked direction for series 5, even it won't change too much. Thematic continuity was something I was very worried about before this interview, and it'll be nice to hear some old themes come back among the new.

I thought you got everything 24hrs before us?

I hope I didn't miss it.

You didn't. It won't be shown on ABC until later this month. "Waters of Mars" only screened a couple of weeks before Christmas.

Excellent.

Yes, at least ABC is not a commercial channel. Can't imagine Doctor Who on any other channel here, the ads would completely ruin it. It's not like LOST where sometimes the commercials create more excitement and tension with what just happened at the end of the act.

It's also on UKTV if you have Foxtel. They put ads on, too.

Well, as we're now approaching the start of the Steven Moffatt era I thought I'd be a good time to post this (and watch it again). I don't think many people have seen the Moff's actual first Doctor Who project. In 1999 Moffatt wrote the script for a Doctor Who spoof for the Red Nose Day Telethon, The Curse of Fatal Death. Starring Rowan Atkinson as the Doctor, Johnathan Pryce as the Master, Julia Sawalha as the Companion, longtime classic series Dalek voice Roy Skelton in his final performance, and a slew of celebrity guests as...well, I won't spoil the surprise. The whole thing just oozes Moffatt, being both a brilliant parody and a loving tribute.

The quality's not that good as it was only ever released on VHS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYpaSzw1qck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmqWQl0wd8k

No, Drax, that looks like either BING or INGO. Without that fifth column, there can be no Free Space, and that's usually the only space I can get.

Since when can we use [media to embed links directly into the page?! That's awesome.

What I absolutely hate about BBC America is how they put a bumper on every commercial break with a few seconds of the theme and the logo, which completely ruins the mood. I know I'm watching Doctor Who (or Torchwood for that matter) and I don't have to be reminded of it every time a commercial break starts. At least after the Master did his thing to the Time Lords they just used a simple fade. And good thing they did, because the last part of the episode was so good and I was afraid they were going to ruin the dramatic tension. I watched it on a delay (Tivo'd it so I could FFwd through commercials) so I wasn't a problem anyway, but let's just hope they drop that concept when they show season 5.

Afew thoughts on all of this. First, it has, without a Shado of a doubt, been a collossal, magnificent 5 years. Hats off to RTD, Tennant, Eccleston, and all, that made my favourite programme EVER such brilliant viewing. There were a few gaffs, but, on the whole, The Doctor was in safe hands. I look forward to Matt Smith taking over. I watched the trailer, and I like the "feel" of the new stuff. I especially like the re-designed, grey Dalek.

The new assistant looks good (she could arrest me any day), the Weeping Angels, and River Song will make welcome re-apperances (how will S.M. get around the "you look so young" line in "Silence In The Library"?). The new logo harks back to the Pat. Troughton days, and I shall be interested to see the "new" TARDIS.

Tennant bowed out on a real high, and, yes, I shed not a few tears at his going. What a programme!

Well - seems worth a try....the character was quite endearing and although I think the appearance was unnecessary in End of Time (pretty clear now that it was a set-up for him to replace Ianto), I see no reason why the character sholdn't get involved in Torchwood? They can't keep on killing characters off and not replacing them somehow....this seems as good a way as any....

Well - seems worth a try....the character was quite endearing and although I think the appearance was unnecessary in End of Time (pretty clear now that it was a set-up for him to replace Ianto), I see no reason why the character sholdn't get involved in Torchwood? They can't keep on killing characters off and not replacing them somehow....this seems as good a way as any....

His appearance in EoT2 was because the recently-departed Exec Producer had a massive obsession with him (just read his "Writer's Tale" book, you'll see what I mean), so much so that in interviews before Matt Smith was announced, he kept proposing Tovey as the Eleventh Doctor. I really don't think the actor was *that* good as Frame.

Sorry I'm being so grumpy. ;)

Fine with me. I know RTD has always been really high on Tovey, and he was on a lot of people's speculated 11th Doctor shortlists even though RTD had nothing to do with the decision.

John- very much looking forward to getting the new edition of The Writer's Tale

I was hoping for Martha & Mickey to be on the new season of Torchwood, but I guess this guy would be alright. I don't know what RTD sees in him (besides the obvious).;)

The Specials are now out on DVD for us in the UK in delicious 5.1 sound and with the full Proms Concert as one of the extras....huzzah!

Well, sort of. Methinks that's "below decks", as it were. Under the console, in other words. Looks like the Doctor's in some sort of slingchair thing (don't know quite what it'd be called), wearing protective goggles whilst doing repair work. There's another shot from that trailer, the bit where

River Song

falls on top of the Doctor where a bit of the interior appears to be shown. Kind of.

http://www.drwho-online.co.uk/news/

Tranter might try to reboot "Doctor Who" for U.S. audiences while departing "Doctor Who" star David Tennant stars in NBC's pilot "Rex Is Not Your Lawyer." "Torchwood" (which is an anagram of "Doctor Who") debuted in 2006 on BBC 3 and set ratings records, then was moved to BBC 1. Russell also reinvented "Doctor Who" in 2003 and was writer-creator of the series "Queer as Folk."

I think I'd be OK with a US Torchwood, as long as it was a US branch of Torchwood, and NOT a remake/reboot/reimagining. As long as it would exist in the same "universe" as the UK Torchwood (and Doctor Who and Sarah Jane Adventures) (...and K9 & Company).

I would NOT be OK with a "reboot" of Doctor Who. Not at all. That would be a HORRIBLE idea.

I think Steef meant a reboot of Torchwood, not Who. I'm not sure that's the idea, I read it as being a continuation with an American branch of Torchwood. But it could go either way. The only guarantee is that if it's Fox they'll screw it up.

Hmmm, how a US Torchwood hub would even exist is up for debate, as the institution was founded by Queen Victoria to protect British soil. The only was that works is if it's completely under the US radar and the branch is still working in favour of Queen and Country.

I think Steef meant a reboot of Torchwood, not Who. I'm not sure that's the idea, I read it as being a continuation with an American branch of Torchwood. But it could go either way. The only guarantee is that if it's Fox they'll screw it up.

Actually if you follow Steef's link it certainly implies a reboot of Dr Who as well as the US Torchwood.

I think people are reading waaaaaaaaaaay more into that tweet than is (or rather was) there. The Middle Earth/Skull Island references clearly point to the "AS" mentioned, who we can probably safely assume is Andy Serkis. I see absolutely no reason for those same "clues" to point to Tennant joining "The Hobbit".