The Doctor Who Thread.....

Greg1138

Amy's well on her way to the "most lusted after by fans" companion title, and the series hasn't even started yet!

And yes, I'll be in line along with the rest of you. ;)

Amy's well on her way to the "most lusted after by fans" companion title, and the series hasn't even started yet!

And yes, I'll be in line along with the rest of you. ;)

Oh, I don't know: Leela was rather nice.

Skimpy outfit or not I never really found Leela all that attractive. Now Sarah Jane on the other hand... :)

I'd say maybe Amy gets "Most lusted after companion" for the New Series, but for the classic series, I'd have to say it was probably Peri who was most "lusted after".

Sarah (don't give me any of this "Sarah Jane" crap, it's Sarah!) would probably get "most loved", not lusted after.

As a followup to our discussion on Amy, let me just post this here...

http://www.dailymail...ing-series.html

I'd say maybe Amy gets "Most lusted after companion" for the New Series, but for the classic series, I'd have to say it was probably Peri who was most "lusted after".

I tell you what, Peri wasn't the best companion, but Nicola Bryant is one beautiful woman. She participates a lot on the DVD releases and all these year's later she's still gorgeous!

I tell you what, Peri wasn't the best companion, but Nicola Bryant is one beautiful woman. She participates a lot on the DVD releases and all these year's later she's still gorgeous!

No, Peri wasn't the best companion, agreed. Nicola Bryant.... amazingly hot body, beautiful then and now! Met her in Chicago a couple years back, and she is still incredibly sexy!

Shame they couldn't squeeze her into the "Time Crash" Children in Need special, just imagine her in one of her old leggy & cleavage-y outfits from the 80s today! :)

Sarah (don't give me any of this "Sarah Jane" crap, it's Sarah!) would probably get "most loved", not lusted after.

As a followup to our discussion on Amy, let me just post this here...

http://www.dailymail...ing-series.html

;) Ooh, er, I forgot about Peri. Yes, Nicols Bryant is still a beautiful woman. I also like Jo Grant. Oh, by the way, I AM going to give you "any of this Sarah Jane Smith crap", because it IS Sarah Jane.

I understand both sides on the Sarah/Sarah Jane thing. To the 4th Doctor she was always just "Sarah", but more often than not the 3rd Doctor called her "Sarah Jane" ("Tears, Sarah Jane?")

It never really bothered me which name she went by until the episode where she insisted she be called Sarah Jane (I forget which episode that was). I just wondered why it never bothered her when Tom Baker called he Sarah for 3 years...

I'm just giving you heck for the Sarah Jane thing. To each his/her own. I've been watching Who since around 1982 so I'm a bit fussy about my preferences. :) I know she recently said she prefers Sarah Jane, but that's her old age talking. <_<

The Sarah Jane thing never bothered me. For years I hated being called anything but Michael, but more often than not I introduce myself as Mike to people. Over time preferences change so I never saw it as that big of a deal.

Speaking of Sarah Jane, the BBC has commissioned another two series for our favourite intrepid journalist. Good news I say, it's one of the better shows on TV and is far more than just a more kid-friendly version of Who.

Guess Tennant's guest spot worked. If not for that, the show probably wouldn't have even made this series (season).

Really? Not sure what the ratings were for like the show but I imagined they were always strong enough for the show to continue on its own for at least one more season. The writing is definitely strong enough for it to continue.

It could. I've heard nothing but bad things from those that have seen it. Though I don't remember K9 and Company being that bad, but it's been quite a while since I've seen it.

Some interesting things have come out about ep. 11 of the new series. It looks like rather than having the big lead in to the 2 part finale, Moffat has opted to put what's being called the funniest and most comic ep in that slot (and appropriately written by Gareth Roberts). More detailed information within the Spoiler Box of Rassilon:

Title: The Lodger, written by Gareth Roberts.

Amy Pond ends up travelling one week into the future in the TARDIS, without the Doctor, so he has to live a week as a normal person until the TARDIS arrives. The Doctor becomes the temporary flatmate of Gavin and Stacey star James Corden. He plays in a five-a-side football match, and does pretty well at it, wearing the number 11 shirt!

The Doctor impresses his new friend by adjusting the TV set to receive shows from the future! They claim its going to be the funniest episode of the new series.

source: http://lifetheuniverseandcombom.blogspot.com/2010/03/doctor-who-series-5-episode-11-revealed.html

Really? Not sure what the ratings were for like the show but I imagined they were always strong enough for the show to continue on its own for at least one more season. The writing is definitely strong enough for it to continue.

From everything I read on various sites, the only reason that this last season of SJA got approved was because Davies promised that Tennant would appear. It was clearly a favor on Tennant's part, as he'd already filmed "The End of Time" I believe and did the episodes to ensure a new order.

• 2 weeks later...

Decided to rewatch Series 3 and 4 with one of my friends before 5 airs, since I only ever saw any of those episodes once and kinda don't remember them very well. Got started on it tonight.

"Smith and Jones" and "The Shakespeare Code" are a hoot.

"Gridlock" is silly, but well-made, and while I simply don't buy the idea that the Face of Boe is actually Captain Jack Harkness, I'm not going to count that against this particular episode.

I'd completely forgotten how awful "Daleks In Manhattan"/"Evolution of the Daleks" are. Those two episodes are just terrible, top to bottom; I felt bad for not being at home watching Caprica instead. Bad American accents, preposterous use of Daleks, strange overreliance on porcine makeup, and a score that is far too overbearing. Yuck.

Low-point for the relaunched series...?

I don't suppose any one has any more info on a soundtrack release from the specials, End Of Time in particular?

I believe February was mentioned for a release but we're nearing April and nothing...

I don't suppose any one has any more info on a soundtrack release from the specials, End Of Time in particular?

I believe February was mentioned for a release but we're nearing April and nothing...

I didn't even know it got that far. I haven't heard anything about a potential release, sadly.

The press screening for The Eleventh Hour took place the other night. Here's a review roundup.

Series 32/6/Moff 2 has also been confirmed, and there will be a Christmas Special this year. Matt Smith will be back.

Oh, and...

It's surprising that Moffat would bring them both back, though from what I've heard the Daleks are going to have a very interesting and different spin on them. I was disappointed to see a Cybus Cyberman, I was hoping that if they came back it'd be classic series ones, but that's still possible. A lot of "fanwank" speculation is centering around a Mondas vs. Cybus Cyberman fight.

This new trailer is what that kiddie-style "vortex" teaser from February should have been. Much, much cooler and a stronger "hook" to entice people to watch, IMHO.

Add me to the list of those disappointed we haven't had "real" Cybermen in the new series. There's no reason why there can't be any, is there? No Time War shenanigans regarding them, like the Daleks. Bring 'em back, I say! It's a perfect excuse to redesign them yet again! :)

I do like the look of the WWII Dalek, I must say.

And, of course, Amy Pond.. :lol:

Less than two weeks now!!

Haha, maybe we'll see an epic battle between the classic and new Cybermen, much like the long-anticipated Dalek and Cyberman pairing. Could make for some fun viewing!

Early reviews of the first episode of series (insert number here) indicate a minimal change in tone from the last series, but I don't really think anyone was expecting the show to drastically differ that much. I get the feeling that Moffat will ease the audience and characters into his style rather than have a jarring shift. For me, I think that's a more exciting approach and will feel more organic and natural. Just from the look of that trailer it seems as if the action elements will be more sleek and impressive and further distancing itself from the clunky, cheap (but charming) and bombastic action sequences from RTD's reign. This is all speculation of course, but that's all we can do at this point!

I'm getting so excited as the new episodes approach. I can't wait to fall in love with the new Doctor and companion; it feels like series two (Tennant's first stint) all over again, and considering it's my favourite series so far that can only be a good thing.

The teaser looked pretty good. Stonehenge eh? Interesting. That couple of shots in space also looked interesting, but I know the show well enough that it's probably just a couple of money shots.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't like the new theme tune!!!!!!!!!!!!

Other than that - loved "The Eleventh Hour", and this season is looking great fun. I can see what the powers that be saw in Matt Smith, and we have yet to see him excercising his real acting chops, but this episode was a cracking debut.

That new theme tune does indeed suck. But it appears Murray Gold is still on, which is a plus.

The only thing I didn't love in this episode was the usual BBC-style effects, but luckily they didn't linger too long.

Very eagerly looking forward to this series ;)

Wow. Wow wow wow. That was everything it needed to be. Matt Smith is very, very impressive in his first outing, moreso than Tennant IMO. Karen Gillian is brilliant and gorgeous. I love the new twists on the companion and can't wait to see how it plays out over the series.

I'm not sure about the new version of the theme either, but I love the new titles. Murray Gold was on fine form as usual, and did slip a couple of themes from the RTD years in there, hopefully there'll be more of that.

Anyone notice the classic series sound effects for the TARDIS console? Marvelous.

This is going to be a helluva ride.

Murray Gold was on fine form as usual, and did slip a couple of themes from the RTD years in there, hopefully there'll be more of that.

He needs to learn some restraint. The whole thing was obtrusively overscored (and clearly temp-tracked with Zimmer's Angels and Demons).

LOVED IT! First impressions: Funny, intelligent and exciting. Probably a stronger opening episode than any of RTD's; I don't think I rolled my eyes once at the dialogue, though I agree that Murray Gold still needs to take things down a few notches. I like the guy, but he's been getting quite carried away in the last few years. I miss the subdued, reflective and restrained music from season 1-2. On the other hand - the theme music. I think I might be in a minority but I'm a big fan of the new theme music. It's more reminiscent of the original and kinda weird, in a good way. It sounds more sci-fi and retro, and less heavy and modern.

I've been looking forward to this episode for so long now, and it did not disappoint me. The plot wasn't anything new or unusual but its execution was fantastic. The direction and particularly the dialogue was just a blast to watch. Karen Gillan really surprised me with her performance;, I wasn't expecting her to be such a fiery and strong character considering her delicate appearance. Seemed like she was channeling Donna a few times, but in a much less abrasive and rough manner. It's a nice change from the usual doe-eyed, clingy type (read: Rose and Martha). Seems like a potentially strong bank of recurring characters has been established already. The obligatory peripheral family members have been replaced by a twitchy boyfriend, a sweet old woman and a dull pretty boy. And with the return of River Song on the horizon it looks to be an interesting group of characters we'll be seeing.

And then there's Matt Smith... Very strong debut I have to say. The early scenes in Amelia's kitchen made me laugh out loud while the dramatic reveal of the Eleventh Doctor's outfit and his final, "finished" personality among the footage of old foes and Doctors nearly had me cheering in my seat. There's a lot of potential for Smith to be the best Doctor yet, but those are some huge shoes to fill. As it is, his first impressions are stronger than Tennant's, but not quite as good as Eccleston's.

Can't believe we're finally getting regular episodes of Doctor Who again. I love having something to look forward to every week!

And here we are again. Time to start avoiding this thread for the next two weeks. Hey, at least it's only two weeks this time. I remember when the first couple of seasons first aired there was a period of about half a year between the UK and US showings! See you all in two weeks.

Bah, real fans don't wait two weeks! ;)

Especially for a version that's probably been trimmed down, and with commercials.

I watched the Confidential for the new ep today. Used to I only did that for the finales but I think it's going to be weekly viewing as well for me now.

Haven't seen the episode yet, but I heard the new theme music. It's not bad; it might even grow on me.

Glad to hear the reactions have been universally positive so far.

Come on, April 17...!

I enjoyed it a lot, but wasn't blown away by it.

Did NOT like the new titles nor the new theme arrangement.

LOVED Karen Gillan! Feisty and sexy and interesting back story.

Really enjoyed Matt Smith, he's gonna be a great, kooky, zany Doctor.

Plot... Decent, but not amazing.

Loved the rooftop bit with the flashback shots, and the "reveal" of the new Doctor.

Really like the new TARDIS, much better than the old "coral" desktop theme.

Glad we're back to 13 weeks of new episodes, instead of 4 or 5 for-the-most-part-not-very-special "specials" spread over a year.

Hope I avoided spoilers enough for the folks waiting for BBC America (or elsewhere). :D

My friend and his carefree attitude toward copyright infringement "found" a copy -- in glorious HD-quality -- somewhere, so we watched "The Eleventh Hour" earlier today.

Loved it! I mean, absolutely loved it.

Matt Smith is obviously a terrific choice for the Doctor. Based on just this single episode, I already prefer him to at least four of the other actors to take on the role. After a full season, no telling how high he might go.

Speaking of which, Amy Pond is also now one of my favorite companions. She's just great. I hope we don't have to suffer through too much bullshit involving her finacee, but even if we do, I'm willing to cope with it. Also, if we could puh-leeze have some episiodes that involve Amy having to be in her other work-related costumes, that'd be fine by me.

Only if the Doctor can dress up in a similarly provocative outfit.

I'm pretty excited that there's finally a Doctor who's very easy on the eyes. Unusual looking, but attractive nonetheless.

I'm pretty excited that there's finally a Doctor who's very easy on the eyes. Unusual looking, but attractive nonetheless.

You didn't have the hots for Tom Baker?? ;);)

Interesting.

Of the two people I watched the episode with, the one who likes wang was also quite taken with ol' Matt Smith. Prior to the episode, she had complained about how ugly he was, but apparently seeing him in action was enough to turn her opinion around pretty quickly.

Really, though, I can see how most of the Doctors would have a certain amount of sex appeal. Maybe not so much for Hartnell, Troughton, or McCoy, but I'm sure the rest all have had their admirers.

Even if Smith had zero sex appeal, though, Gillan would more than make up for it.

I don't know if anyone caught the story that series 4 of Sarah Jane started filming last week, quietly behind all the insanity around the new Who series premiere.

Yes, a very strong and poignant episode, though definitely not as memorable as the Moff's previous stories. That's to be expected though, and even welcomed. I can't expect to be floored every time the guy writes an episode. I feel like this season is very slowly building to something huge, and I'm enjoying the ride already.

The effects of this show have never really bothered me. They're really just there for a visual reference to what's going on. I've watched this show (and many others) for years with my imagination working full time, picking up whatever the effects team can't. It's like being a kid again, one of the reasons I love Doctor Who. It's definitely the best way to take the show, particularly when the writing is so strong.

Anyways, I was actually a little frightened by the Doctor this episode. When he got all angry and yelled at Amy I really did get the feeling that his youthful appearance deceptively masks a very old, tired and lonely man with the weight of the universe voluntarily on his shoulders. Well done to Matt Smith conveying such enormous emotional baggage only two episodes in!

Finally, I'm looking forward to next week's Dalek episode. Looks like this one will be more in the vein of "Dalek" from season 1; a welcome change from the bloated apocalypse-centric Dalek stories. They tend to be far more interesting when they're not just trying to destroy the universe. By the way, love the fact that world leaders seem to regularly (and literally) call upon the Doctor in times of need. I wonder how often he responds?